Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
You can use:

- On screen menu
- Web-based interface (EZ-RC)
- Open Source RM-IR tool

Between the three of them you should find something to your liking.

Manual: http://www.voxxintlcorp.com/docs/com...ARRX18G_OM.pdf
RM-IR info: http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde..._RM-IR_Version (note - no special cable needed for XSight remotes
)
xnappo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 863 Old 11-19-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
hmm, so how do u program an xsight remote? Just oncsreen menus and such? or maybe theres software? Is it really difficult? I'm debating on that remote
I started with the website, similar to Harmonys only much less refined. I was able to get it working just fine. I decided to go with RM-IR to be independent of the Website due the fact that they could remove support for it at any time, thus leaving the remote with no way to program. RM-IR allows feature rich local programming with the ability to back up and restore on a local PC. This was very important to me as I was very familiar with the Pronto line of remotes which has similar local programming and backup feature set. Is it hard to program? Not really. Do you need to put your time in? Definitely. I dislike Apple products because of the hand holding (itunes etc..). I use Android with custom mods. Think of the Harmony as the "iRemote" and the Xsight as the "Android" remote. They are really cheap on ebay and IMHO worth every penny if you enjoy tinkering and tweaking. If you are an "iPhone" guy that likes hand holding and one way of doing things, then stick with the Harmony line, if not give the Xsight a shot, I am glad I did. I hope this helps in your decision.

Mike

Last edited by blackssr; 11-19-2014 at 02:02 PM.
post #843 of 863 Old 11-19-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 484
For inquiring minds, here's a very detailed review including a walk-thru of the EZ-RC programming website. I much prefer RM-IR, but the learning curve is steeper, as others have said. One thing that isn't entirely obvious is that you can have lots and lots of icons and logos for favorite channels and such. Makes for a much richer experience.

http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews...uch/index.html
post #844 of 863 Old 11-19-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like ebay prices for the Touch are on the rise. Allshop29 is now around $40. On the other hand, they have the Color for just $17 now. That's a steal for a remote that was originally $150. I've panned the Color in the past, but it's finally grown on me. Turns out it isn't as hard on batteries as I once thought. It's only a power hog when I do a lot of programming. Very nice remote and a good alternative to the Touch if you don't need RF. Would be a great replacement for a Harmony One.
post #845 of 863 Old 11-22-2014, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Looks like ebay prices for the Touch are on the rise. Allshop29 is now around $40. On the other hand, they have the Color for just $17 now. That's a steal for a remote that was originally $150. I've panned the Color in the past, but it's finally grown on me. Turns out it isn't as hard on batteries as I once thought. It's only a power hog when I do a lot of programming. Very nice remote and a good alternative to the Touch if you don't need RF. Would be a great replacement for a Harmony One.
Probably just increasing ahead of the busy shopping season. I received my XSight 18 from fashion. I paid about $46 for it. Took me about 90 minutes to set up six devices and 3 activities using EZ-RC. I'll probably tweak with Remote Master, but I have to gather all the dependencies and install. The device EZ-RC database is pretty weak, so a lot of devices less then two years old won't be in it. I still had to add a lot of soft buttons, but they were in the database.

Some folks mentioned not having a serial number. My SN was just a sticker on the lower front of the remote, so it isn't surprising that a lot of folks would peel the stickers off. I peeled mine off but it ended up in pieces. My remote appeared to be new with only the USB cable and power adapter bags opened.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #846 of 863 Old 11-22-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ regarding device database. UEI does have the largest in the world. But since Xsight is discontinued, its version of it won't necessarily be updated much anymore. However, 99% chance last year's or the year's before model of whatever device you're looking for will work fine since codes don't change that much. A downside of using RM instead of EZ-RC is the Xsight web database doesn't get updated with new user learns and device model numbers. The upside is the JP1 database grows.
post #847 of 863 Old 11-28-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, today I got my shipment of 18's off of ebay and I'm glad I ordered 2 of them -- only one of them actually powers on. It seems to be ok, but the other one appears to be just plain old dead.

Is there a magic keyboard combination on these that will hard reset them?

Anyone have any ideas?
post #848 of 863 Old 11-29-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneinnmb View Post
Well, today I got my shipment of 18's off of ebay and I'm glad I ordered 2 of them -- only one of them actually powers on. It seems to be ok, but the other one appears to be just plain old dead.

Is there a magic keyboard combination on these that will hard reset them?

Anyone have any ideas?
It's a long shot, but you could try this:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=116379#116379

If it were partially working, going to Reset in the menus, then entering 981 is the only other way I know of. There is a what appears to be a reset hole on the back in the upper half which I've tried a paper clip on, but I've never gotten it to do anything.

Have you tried a different battery?

In any case, the sellers I've dealt with have been good about giving refunds. I've ordered many and gotten only one complete dud. If you can get it going in short order, you should ask for a refund or replacement.
xnappo likes this.
post #849 of 863 Old 11-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
AHA! I knew there was some kind of super secret factory reset method. You were close -- the instructions you posted are for the Xsight color not the touch. I messed around and found that holding power and ok then inserting the battery caused the remote to come up in firmware upgrade mode. Connected it to the pc, updated the firmware and all is well.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help!

Quote:
It's a long shot, but you could try this:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=116379#116379

If it were partially working, going to Reset in the menus, then entering 981 is the only other way I know of. There is a what appears to be a reset hole on the back in the upper half which I've tried a paper clip on, but I've never gotten it to do anything.

Have you tried a different battery?

In any case, the sellers I've dealt with have been good about giving refunds. I've ordered many and gotten only one complete dud. If you can get it going in short order, you should ask for a refund or replacement.
xnappo likes this.
post #850 of 863 Old 01-03-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone.
I can't get EZ-RC to work. I have read these threads till my eyes hurt. and keep finding clues but no answers. Someone says there is a registry hack for windows 8.1, and then casually suggest the user scan the earlier posts. LOL,
I'm trying the RM thingy, but it clearly says you should use EZ-RC first, nevermind that it's a mess to setup.
My Problem with EZ-RC, is when i use the original version off the CD, the web page loads, finds the remote, tells me i need to update the software. Upon updating, the web Page no longer can find the remote, keeps asking me to connect it.
Thank you for any help.
post #851 of 863 Old 01-03-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Never use EZ-RC off the CD. It's really, really, really out of date. If you have Win 8.1, you must do the hack. Just go back a few pages to my post about it. If you didn't do the hack already, your remote is probably stuck in upgrade mode.
post #852 of 863 Old 01-03-2015, 09:51 AM

A few pages? There are 89 pages, and you have over 1k posts. Couldn't youjust copy and paste again. Please, it'sall iI want for Christma.
post #853 of 863 Old 01-03-2015, 01:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Merry Christmas. I just added an Xsight Info link to my signature.
curtlots and quamosa like this.
post #854 of 863 Old 01-04-2015, 08:47 AM

Thank you, it helped. Now I'm buying a second one.
Thanks again!
post #855 of 863 Old 01-06-2015, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I've never owned a Media Center Remote before. Always used mouse and keyboard.

I just received my $17 XSight Color and pretty easily set up my devices using the web sight & USB cable. But how do I set up my HTPC as a device. I thought I did. I chose:

Device: DIGITAL MEDIA
Brand: Media Center PC
"I don't know the model number of my device or its remote."

Result: "Great! We have found a code that will very likely work with your HTPC. Do you still want to test in the following steps of the wizard?"

But the remote doesn't seem to control the keyboard at all. To use this with HTPC, do I need to previously own a Media Center remote? Does it use a USB dongle or something to communicate?

Sorry for this basic question. I know you guys with Media Center Remotes are light years ahead...
post #856 of 863 Old 01-06-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

An IR remote can only control IR devices. A PC must have an IR dongle or internal consumer IR (CIR) receiver of some kind. There are lots of different Media Center dongles with different capabilities. Do you have an IR dongle at all? We'd need to know exactly which one you have or which one you plan to buy to be of any help. Many dongle come with their own remote or stand alone. There's no particular reason to avoid one that comes with a remote, if the price is right. You'll simply set the remote aside and never use it.

Are you looking for full keyboard support, or just a few additional functions? If you need several hundred key combos (Ctrl, Alt, etc.) and full QWERTY, I recommend you get an Flirc dongle so you can map everything you want. If you just want basic playback and nav controls for WMC or similar, then any MCE (RC6) dongle will do. I find that basic MCE does everything I need for control. For typing and mousing, I still use an actual keyboard/mouse or smartphone app. Simple text entry can be done with MCE using triple tap numbers or the cursor buttons.

The main function of a remote for a Media Center PC is similar to that of a disc player, meaning basic playback and navigation functionality. Anything more than that becomes very impractical and unwieldy. Consider the desire for full QWERTY on a remote. That's at least 5 pages of commands to navigate through for any single letter. Very impractical. If you truly need that, you should stick with a keyboard.

Last edited by mdavej; 01-06-2015 at 09:24 PM.
post #857 of 863 Old 01-06-2015, 09:36 PM

Thanks! If only I had known this earlier!

I have a USB receiver that I use with my Anker wireless keyboard & mouse (which I'll continue to use).

I suppose the USB receive that I have is not IR?

http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Wirel...keyboard+anker

So most likely I'm buying another WMC Remote to get the IR dongle?
post #858 of 863 Old 01-06-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B View Post
I suppose the USB receive that I have is not IR?
Correct. But that's a nice looking little keyboard you have there.
Quote:
So most likely I'm buying another WMC Remote to get the IR dongle?
Yes. Post your top choices and we'll advise. I'm partial to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RRC-1.../dp/B003WM5J0O

Lots of great tech info in some of the reviews too.
post #859 of 863 Old 01-08-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Correct. But that's a nice looking little keyboard you have there.
Yes. Post your top choices and we'll advise. I'm partial to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RRC-1.../dp/B003WM5J0O

Lots of great tech info in some of the reviews too.
Yeah, I love the Anker keyboard. Very sleek. Have dropped it a number of times and it's held up.

Ok, when I get some extra cash I'll buy the remote & dongle you suggest. I'll check out the reviews at Amazon for info. Thank you.
post #860 of 863 Old 01-09-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you find a better deal, post it and we'll see if it will work. I haven't shopped for one in a while. So I really don't know what's out there anymore.
post #861 of 863 Unread 01-15-2015, 08:50 AM

Quote:
If you find a better deal, post it and we'll see if it will work. I haven't shopped for one in a while. So I really don't know what's out there anymore.
Today, just saw that it dropped a few bucks to $18.99 with free shipping. Grabbed it. Looking forward!
post #862 of 863 Unread 01-16-2015, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua B View Post
Today, just saw that it dropped a few bucks to $18.99 with free shipping. Grabbed it. Looking forward!
which vendor was this? I searched but didn't see the 18G at that price (several 15G were under $20)
post #863 of 863 Unread 01-16-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twarren View Post
which vendor was this? I searched but didn't see the 18G at that price (several 15G were under $20)
I'm sorry, this is not for one of the XSight remotes. This is a side conversation I've been having with mdavej about this remote & dongle (the dongle to use with my XSight Color): http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RRC-1...iglink20246-20
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Acoustic Research , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Remotes And Controllers