Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You can use:

- On screen menu
- Web-based interface (EZ-RC)
- Open Source RM-IR tool

Between the three of them you should find something to your liking.

Manual: http://www.voxxintlcorp.com/docs/com...ARRX18G_OM.pdf
RM-IR info: http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde..._RM-IR_Version (note - no special cable needed for XSight remotes
)
xnappo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 849 Old 11-19-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chugger93 View Post
hmm, so how do u program an xsight remote? Just oncsreen menus and such? or maybe theres software? Is it really difficult? I'm debating on that remote
I started with the website, similar to Harmonys only much less refined. I was able to get it working just fine. I decided to go with RM-IR to be independent of the Website due the fact that they could remove support for it at any time, thus leaving the remote with no way to program. RM-IR allows feature rich local programming with the ability to back up and restore on a local PC. This was very important to me as I was very familiar with the Pronto line of remotes which has similar local programming and backup feature set. Is it hard to program? Not really. Do you need to put your time in? Definitely. I dislike Apple products because of the hand holding (itunes etc..). I use Android with custom mods. Think of the Harmony as the "iRemote" and the Xsight as the "Android" remote. They are really cheap on ebay and IMHO worth every penny if you enjoy tinkering and tweaking. If you are an "iPhone" guy that likes hand holding and one way of doing things, then stick with the Harmony line, if not give the Xsight a shot, I am glad I did. I hope this helps in your decision.

Mike

Last edited by blackssr; 11-19-2014 at 02:02 PM.
post #843 of 849 Old 11-19-2014, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
For inquiring minds, here's a very detailed review including a walk-thru of the EZ-RC programming website. I much prefer RM-IR, but the learning curve is steeper, as others have said. One thing that isn't entirely obvious is that you can have lots and lots of icons and logos for favorite channels and such. Makes for a much richer experience.

http://www.remotecentral.com/reviews...uch/index.html
post #844 of 849 Old 11-19-2014, 10:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like ebay prices for the Touch are on the rise. Allshop29 is now around $40. On the other hand, they have the Color for just $17 now. That's a steal for a remote that was originally $150. I've panned the Color in the past, but it's finally grown on me. Turns out it isn't as hard on batteries as I once thought. It's only a power hog when I do a lot of programming. Very nice remote and a good alternative to the Touch if you don't need RF. Would be a great replacement for a Harmony One.
post #845 of 849 Old 11-22-2014, 12:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Looks like ebay prices for the Touch are on the rise. Allshop29 is now around $40. On the other hand, they have the Color for just $17 now. That's a steal for a remote that was originally $150. I've panned the Color in the past, but it's finally grown on me. Turns out it isn't as hard on batteries as I once thought. It's only a power hog when I do a lot of programming. Very nice remote and a good alternative to the Touch if you don't need RF. Would be a great replacement for a Harmony One.
Probably just increasing ahead of the busy shopping season. I received my XSight 18 from fashion. I paid about $46 for it. Took me about 90 minutes to set up six devices and 3 activities using EZ-RC. I'll probably tweak with Remote Master, but I have to gather all the dependencies and install. The device EZ-RC database is pretty weak, so a lot of devices less then two years old won't be in it. I still had to add a lot of soft buttons, but they were in the database.

Some folks mentioned not having a serial number. My SN was just a sticker on the lower front of the remote, so it isn't surprising that a lot of folks would peel the stickers off. I peeled mine off but it ended up in pieces. My remote appeared to be new with only the USB cable and power adapter bags opened.

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #846 of 849 Old 11-22-2014, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^ regarding device database. UEI does have the largest in the world. But since Xsight is discontinued, its version of it won't necessarily be updated much anymore. However, 99% chance last year's or the year's before model of whatever device you're looking for will work fine since codes don't change that much. A downside of using RM instead of EZ-RC is the Xsight web database doesn't get updated with new user learns and device model numbers. The upside is the JP1 database grows.
post #847 of 849 Old 11-28-2014, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, today I got my shipment of 18's off of ebay and I'm glad I ordered 2 of them -- only one of them actually powers on. It seems to be ok, but the other one appears to be just plain old dead.

Is there a magic keyboard combination on these that will hard reset them?

Anyone have any ideas?
post #848 of 849 Old 11-29-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneinnmb View Post
Well, today I got my shipment of 18's off of ebay and I'm glad I ordered 2 of them -- only one of them actually powers on. It seems to be ok, but the other one appears to be just plain old dead.

Is there a magic keyboard combination on these that will hard reset them?

Anyone have any ideas?
It's a long shot, but you could try this:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=116379#116379

If it were partially working, going to Reset in the menus, then entering 981 is the only other way I know of. There is a what appears to be a reset hole on the back in the upper half which I've tried a paper clip on, but I've never gotten it to do anything.

Have you tried a different battery?

In any case, the sellers I've dealt with have been good about giving refunds. I've ordered many and gotten only one complete dud. If you can get it going in short order, you should ask for a refund or replacement.
xnappo likes this.
post #849 of 849 Old 11-29-2014, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
AHA! I knew there was some kind of super secret factory reset method. You were close -- the instructions you posted are for the Xsight color not the touch. I messed around and found that holding power and ok then inserting the battery caused the remote to come up in firmware upgrade mode. Connected it to the pc, updated the firmware and all is well.

Thanks! I really appreciate the help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
It's a long shot, but you could try this:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=116379#116379

If it were partially working, going to Reset in the menus, then entering 981 is the only other way I know of. There is a what appears to be a reset hole on the back in the upper half which I've tried a paper clip on, but I've never gotten it to do anything.

Have you tried a different battery?

In any case, the sellers I've dealt with have been good about giving refunds. I've ordered many and gotten only one complete dud. If you can get it going in short order, you should ask for a refund or replacement.
xnappo likes this.
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Acoustic Research , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Remotes And Controllers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page