AVS Forum banner
192K views 1K replies 193 participants last post by  mdavej 
#1 ·
The new AARX18G from Acoustic Research has been delayed till September 2009. No news on why the delay. Can't wait for this remote to hit the retail market. Hope this time it will be out in September. Last I heard this was going to be release in the Spring 2009. I was going to purchase the Harmony 1100,but saw this on the web 2/24/09 and wanted to wait for this remote. Everything sounds good about this remote. Harmony watch out! You Can go their website to find out more information www.araccessories.com

#978 ·
In Internet Explorer on a Windows PC, go to http://www.ez-rc.com/Pages/LogOn/UserLogOn.aspx , create a new account, and connect your remote using the cable. You'll be prompted to download some software (conduit program). After installing that and logging in, you'll be prompted to update the firmware. It will take a few tries unplugging and replugging and logging in to finish the update. Then you'll log in again and follow the prompts to set up your remote. First add all your devices (up to 15 different ones including your TV and Denon), then create activities if you want to automatically power up and switch inputs with a single button press, like "Watch TV", "Watch Bluray", etc. If/when you want to go further, follow my Xsight link and try Remote Master.

After lots of updates and programming, your first set of batteries will likely need to be replaced. After that, the new set should last a few weeks. I use rechargeables.

#979 ·
In Internet Explorer on a Windows PC, go to http://www.ez-rc.com/Pages/LogOn/UserLogOn.aspx , create a new account, and connect your remote using the cable. You'll be prompted to download some software (conduit program). After installing that and logging in, you'll be prompted to update the firmware. It will take a few tries unplugging and replugging and logging in to finish the update. Then you'll log in again and follow the prompts to set up your remote. First add all your devices (up to 15 different ones including your TV and Denon), then create activities if you want to automatically power up and switch inputs with a single button press, like "Watch TV", "Watch Bluray", etc. If/when you want to go further, follow my Xsight link and try Remote Master.

After lots of updates and programming, your first set of batteries will likely need to be replaced. After that, the new set should last a few weeks. I use rechargeables.
thank you so much. i just updated now with the latest fimrware i think 1.3.3. thats all i did and i just played around with the remote to get familiarize. also i didnt add any device yet because it need to be with the device, and i am away from home, i will do it again when i get home to tried it out. what kind of recahrgable battery you are using? can you recommend that to me?

ps: when im ready to install for my denon x4000 i will message here again and ask for your help. :D thank you so much. :)

#982 · (Edited)
RM works fine with Xsight in Win 10 (with the registry changes for power saving which are required in Win 8.x as well).

I'll try EZ-RC and Edge and update this post with my results later. IE is the only browser that works with EZ-RC on Win 8.x and earlier. Does Edge have an IE compatibility mode?

EDIT: EZ-RC works in IE on Win 10. Doesn't work in Edge or any other browser. Requires registry change like Win 8.x for power management fix to keep connection from immediately dropping out.

#984 ·
RM is far more powerful, and taps into the huge JP1 device database, and gives you the ability to create new devices from learns and import pronto hex, among other things (editing button assignments is far quicker and easier). But it doesn't hold your hand like EZ-RC. I personally haven't used EZ-RC since RM was finished except for firmware upgrades. But if you're happy with it, there's no pressing need to change. EZ-RC is perfectly usable as you said.

In any case, I just tested EZ-RC in Win 10. It still works fine in IE. In Edge, you can log in, but it hangs when you press Connect, so that's worthless. If you launch it in Edge, you can pick "Open in IE", and it will work. As I suspected, the registry change for Win 8.x is still required in Win 10. See my signature for details (Xsight Info).

#985 · (Edited)
Thanks for the update. Not surprised Edge doesn't work, it's something of a feature-lacking oddity all round.

For the occasional use of editing minor features a couple of times a year, I really don't want to have to learn a more complex and powerful tool (which RM appears to be) just to add a different button or change a delay timing on a macro. While EZ-RC is a bit long-winded, it does (as you say) hold your hand in getting it right first time without any learning curve. I just want plug and play ideally.

So I'm glad to know IE 11 can still be used, and I'll look up the necessary registry change as I haven't needed that on Win7 (although I do need to temporarily turn off Security>Protected Mode before connecting the remote, does that advice still apply for Win8/10 too?)

Andre

#987 · (Edited)
I'm starting to get interested in this remote. Still going though the thread (early 2012) but I have a few questions.

- Has there been an update or has someone found a way to rearrange stuff after it's added? That was one of the biggest complaints when it came out.
- Since apparently the remotes are discontinued and the software from what I understand is hosted on the company's cloud isn't probable that the remote will become useless ?
- Does the software work with windows 8.1
- What's the status of that Master program you guys are working on?

Aside from that I'm quiet confused as to why the remote is $250 on amazon but less than $50 on ebay.....

#988 ·
1. With RemoteMaster this is not an issue, I have never used EZ-RC :D
2. Yes, but RemoteMaster is better anyway
3. Yes, and Windows 10, but it needs a very small registry tweak, see Dave's signature for the hifi-remote thread
4. Completely functional and awesome - but learning curve is steeper than Harmony/EZ-RC
5. eBay is all over the place - the Amazon price is just someone hoping to get lucky I guess.. Who knows!

#990 ·
Sure thing. Yes those remotes are all identical to each other.

I've never tried Next Gen with Xsight, but even if it works, I wouldn't recommend it. The 433 (Nevo, AR or Xsight version) is typically a third of the price of Next Gen and far superior (6 blasters and no transmitter batteries to deal with).

If you strike out on the 433, I have several spares I'd be willing to part with fairly cheap.

#992 ·
As long as it runs, you should be ok. I don't think I have any C3's myself, only C2's. But I haven't seen any differences between those and the Color. One issue I had with my Nevo's was that they needed a firmware update from EZ-RC to work properly with RM, otherwise some strange things would happen, mainly related to the "Assist" buttons.

#994 ·
Alright it's pay day so I ordered the Touch with the extender. Wish me luck!

#996 ·
Alright it's noob help time!

I just got back from a trip and received my Xsight Touch and Extender so I'm starting to play with it.
First of all I got it used so I was wondering how to delete all the devices that are already in there.

But more pressingly I've installed EZ-RC and when I plug the remote in USB the program doesn't seem to register. I have the popup that says it might take 5 secs to be ready, I press 'connect' and the remote LCD lights up but nothing happens and the popup remains.

PS: This is on IE 11 and using a USB 3.0 slot.

#998 ·
The Conduit is running but I am using Windows 8.1 so what value do I need to tweak in the registry?

#1,001 ·
Ok, I have been using Xsight touch for almost a year now and completely satisfied. Having a single remote to control TV, receiver, blu ray, xbox and cable box is awesome.

Recently got myself a raspberry pi 2 and loaded OSMC. Picked up IR module (TSOP4838) and connected it to GPIO.
How in the hell do I set up this Xsight touch to interface with that IR module? Some people had success using it to interface with harmony remotes with a keymap file. But I can't seem to find media center remote file for Xsight touch.

Is my option limited to buying a USB IR remote and make Xsight touch learn from it?
Or is there a media center remote code that works for original media center remote for Xsight touch? If there is a media center remote code that works, I would love to configure Xisight touch first and then make raspberry Pi learn the IRs.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

#1,003 ·
So I've had two of these ARRX15G remotes go bad in the same way. The up arrow stops working. Is this a fatal flaw in the design?
I tried taking it apart to fix the first one and couldn't find any visible problems. Now the second one has been dropped too many times and there is something rattling around inside. I can't seem to get a good connection between the remote and Windows 10. Is this because my remote is broken or because of Win10?
While it looks like I can get one on eBay for cheap, I'm not sure if I want to buy another flawed remote. That being said I HATE HATE HATE the way the Logitech remotes work.

#1,004 ·
Win 10 requires the same registry change as 8.1 for the remote to maintain a connection. Follow the Info link in my signature.

Unfortunately, the life of the keys is indeed a fatal flaw in many of these remotes. Some of mine have lasted years without issue, others only 6 months without a key or two going bad. They're so inexpensive it hasn't bothered me much. FWIW, I haven't had any of my Nevo brand remotes go bad in the few months I've used them, so a Nevo C2 (the identical twin of the 15G) may be worth a try.

I too have heard a rattle in some, but only ones where the battery door latch has broken off inside the remote or in the 18G that has a motion switch, for which a rattle is normal.

#1,005 · (Edited)
Yeah thanks. I did a search for arrx15g and "windows 10" and found the registry hack (what a novel idea eh?). :) Sorry that I forgot to post back. There is a tilt sensor in the remote (reed switch?) there was an option to turn on when picked up it usually rattles. This is a new rattle and the remote reboots so it's a problem. I might be buying two of those remotes from china since remote manufactures seem to making worse products and charging more for them. Thank you for the reply

#1,007 ·
Yes, the Nevo C2 is exactly the same as the Xsight 15G except that the C2 has 3 more devices than the 15G. The Nevo C3 would be the exact replacement for an 18G. I have over a dozen, mostly from China. I have had only a couple of duds, all of which were refunded quickly, but YMMV of course. I've never bought any from that specific seller myself.

See my FAQ for more info.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo#FAQ

#1,011 ·
The following remotes are compatible with that extender:

- One-for-all Xsight Touch (URC-8603)
- Acoustic Research Xsight Touch (AARX18G)
- Nevo C3

There's an Xsight Touch on ebay right now for $75 shipped, which is still only a third of its original price. All were discontinued around 2011 as far as I can tell.

Since the extender is 433MHz, a few URC and older UEI remotes may be compatible, but I have no idea which ones. User Edmund on this forum may know.

#1,015 ·
New ARRX15G - can't update

I got a new ARRX15G. I plugged it into my Windows XP (SP3) VM, ran ez-rc, it detected and asked me to updated the remote software (no option not to). I hit the update button. The remote goes offline into "Upgrade Mode". Then it comes back online. Windows says "Found New Hardware", but then it says "A problem occurred" installing the hardware.

At that point, the remote is stuck in Upgrade Mode, ez-rc won't detect it any more.

If I kill the remote and factory-reset it (981), it i s the same. Now Windows can't detect it at all.

HELP? Please?

The JP1 stuff seems great (program from Linux) but I am a little intimidated by the need to get new hardware to program it...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.