Acoustic Research XSight Remote - Page 38 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #1111 of 1137 Old 09-13-2016, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 82
That would be really good if true. My Luton IR dimmers don't work great with LED bulbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1112 of 1137 Old 09-14-2016, 01:47 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I recently saw on the OFA support site that the Touch / C3 apparently natively supports at least some RF lighting systems. I've asked them for more details and will post what they say. But in the mean time, has anyone had any success natively controlling any RF lights with their Xsight remote? It would be really cool if it actually works. We wouldn't have to rely on crappy IR gateways anymore.

On a different subject, OFA has also published their own Win 8/8.1/10 patch for Xsight and Nevo. It appears to be much the same as registry files we made at hifi-remote.com.
Touch: http://www.oneforall.com/downloads/d...tion_patch.zip
Color: http://www.oneforall.com/downloads/d...tion_patch.zip
Confirmed.
I have it working with KlikAanKlikUit lights. Google for other names of them used in different countries.

Sent from my ZX Spectrum 48k
post #1113 of 1137 Old 09-14-2016, 04:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2063 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxxiu View Post
Confirmed.
I have it working with KlikAanKlikUit lights. Google for other names of them used in different countries.

Sent from my ZX Spectrum 48k
Thanks! If you use Remote Master, would you mind posting your file here (you have to create an account first. Sorry)
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...load&cat_id=35
I'd like to see what the file for an RF device looks like.

OFA US refused to answer because Xsight isn't their brand in US. OFA UK responded, "One For All universal remotes do not support Automation and or RF devices". But that is in direct contradiction to the FAQ I posted and to your own experience. I gave it another try and will hopefully get a better answer from them.

In the mean time, I think I'll connect to ez-rc and see what automation/lighting devices I can find.
post #1114 of 1137 Old 09-14-2016, 06:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

These are the Home Automation brands from ez-rc. Anybody recognize some that may be RF only? I started to make a list of models. But ez-rc limits me to about 10 searches per session. So it's going to take a very long time to compile. The few that I do recognize, like Lutron, has IR codes only, as far as I can tell.

Spoiler!
post #1115 of 1137 Old 09-15-2016, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks! If you use Remote Master, would you mind posting your file here (you have to create an account first. Sorry)
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...load&cat_id=35
I'd like to see what the file for an RF device looks like.

OFA US refused to answer because Xsight isn't their brand in US. OFA UK responded, "One For All universal remotes do not support Automation and or RF devices". But that is in direct contradiction to the FAQ I posted and to your own experience. I gave it another try and will hopefully get a better answer from them.

In the mean time, I think I'll connect to ez-rc and see what automation/lighting devices I can find.
Hi,

To add KlikAnnKlikUit or COCO or Intertechno devices (same things only differently branded) I just followed instruction I received from OneForAll:

When setting up the light control on the Xsight you can use the device Home Automation, and the brand One For All.
The COCO devices work on the same codes as the One For All light switches.
In our One For All Home automations codes you will find 12 codes, these 12 codes correspond to the letters A,B,C on the COCO units. Then the numberkeys 1 till 9 and 0 will correspond to the COCO switches numbers 1,2,3, etc.
If these COCO switches are the newer ones, you could learn the COCO switches from the Xsight on any of the 12 codes under Home Automation and brand One For All

To set up the Light Control on your remote, please follow this procedure:

1. On the Xsight, go to Settings and then to RF On/Off. The display should read 'RF Transmission is currently ON'.
2. Click OK.
3. You should still be in the Settings menu. Click Device Setup and then Add Device.
4. The display will read: 'What is it?'.
5. Choose Home Automation.
6. The display will read: 'Select Brand'.
7. Choose the brand One For All.
8. The display will read: 'Next, we'll make sure we've got the right codes. Turn on your One For All and point the remote towards it'.
9. Follow the instructions and click Begin Test.
10. The Display will read: 'One For All Home Automation Testing code 1/12. Test the Power Button...'.
11. Press Works on the first code.
12. The display will read: 'Congratulations! You've successfully set up your One For All Home Automation. Add another device?'.
13. Press No, press No again on the next question, and then press Home.

Now you will need to reset your RF Receiver:
Keep the button on the RF Receiver pressed until the red light starts to flash repeatedly. Release the button and then press it again. Keep it pressed until the red light turns off.

Now follow the next procedure:
14. On the Xsight, go to Devices.
15. Choose One for All Home automation.
16. Press 1 (or 2 or 3).
17. Keep the button on the RF Receiver pressed until the red light starts to flash repeatedly, then release the button.
18. Press Power On and the light should turn on, Press Power Off and the light should go out.

To program other Light controls, repeat steps 16-18.
post #1116 of 1137 Old 09-16-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Great info. Thanks for posting it! Unfortunately for me, the One For All home automation device does not exist in my US remote. But I will try to add it from ez-rc and see what happens.

OFA UK finally responded. They can't give me the full list of supported devices. But I can ask them about specific devices, and they will confirm. So, Xnappo, if you or others want to know about specific models, please post them here and I will get answers. In the mean time, I will ask about the major brands found at US home improvement stores.
post #1117 of 1137 Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hi,

I purchased another Nevo C3. Unfortunately this one presents with the same problem over and over. It is useable for a few commands and then it locks up and reboots. It also will not allow me to factory reset it. I go to the reset area in settings and does not do anything when I select reset for the second time. Does anyone know how to force a factory reset or have any other ideas on how fix the remote?

Thanks,

John
post #1118 of 1137 Old 09-16-2016, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohjy View Post
Hi,

I purchased another Nevo C3. Unfortunately this one presents with the same problem over and over. It is useable for a few commands and then it locks up and reboots. It also will not allow me to factory reset it. I go to the reset area in settings and does not do anything when I select reset for the second time. Does anyone know how to force a factory reset or have any other ideas on how fix the remote?

Thanks,

John

I was able to solve my problem. I reloaded my firmware by removing the battery, holding the power button and OK button down at the same time and reinserting the battery. The remote then goes into upgrade mode. Then I connected the remote to my computer and logged onto EZ-RC and it automatically reinstalled the firmware. Now it works perfectly.

John
post #1119 of 1137 Old 09-17-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad you got it working. It won't reload the same firmware version over again. You actually got a new version.

For future reference, to do a factory reset, you press 981 then Reset. But in my experience, that usually doesn't fix an unresponsive remote.
post #1120 of 1137 Old 09-20-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, this seems like a very well-informed group! I'm interested in comparisons between the Xsight Touch (+RMIR) and the Harmony Elite as a replacement for my aging URC MX-850 (10 years+ and still going strong but which is unable to learn some newer device codes). My system is very AV-centric (LG OLED, Oppo 103D, AppleTV, Roku, cableTV, Lexicon MC-12HD, and recently added DVDO iScan Mini and Quick6R HDMI switcher); with Philips Hue the only home automation device I'd look to integrate and even that would be optional. Everything is currently line-of-sight IR-based though I may upgrade AppleTV if/when they release a 4K version.

So my questions about the two remotes boil down to these general considerations:

1. Software: I have always done the MX-850 programming myself using the URC software and am very comfortable using its full capabilities (macros, delays, jumps, etc.). How do the RM and MyHarmony measure up in terms of flexibility and control? Are there any advantages/trade-offs to one or the other? What would be gained/lost relative to the URC MX-850 software? Also, I am Mac-based, can I program the Touch entirely with RM, or do I also need to gin up a native UEL software install through Windows 7?

2. Ergonomics: How comfortable/easy to use are they? I generally prefer hard buttons, though in my usage I rarely use the numeric keypad so losing that isn't a factor. I'm more concerned about feel/balance, ease of operating buttons by feel, etc. How well does that Touch page slider thingy work vs. swiping?

3. Durability: Obviously the Elite is relatively new so it doesn't have a long-term track record, but I'm wondering how does the Xsight Touch hold up over time? (I tend to hang on to remotes for a long time once I get them configured).

4. Other practical considerations: differences in time between charging, battery replacement, etc.?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

- Philip Brandes
post #1121 of 1137 Old 09-20-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Xsight really isn't in the same league as URC or Elite, so it's going to fall far short in many respects. I think it was meant to compete with the Harmony 900 and One. I'm also not very familiar with URC software, so I can't give you a lot of specifics. But I'll try to answer the best I can.

1. Xsight macros are practically unlimited length with variable delays and hold durations at each step. No programmatic jumps to specific screens (besides Home) or calls to other macros or IF..THEN..ELSE structures are possible (some other JP1 remotes have conditional branching and subroutines, but not Xsight). RM for Xsight is very basic in terms of control and is activity based like Harmony. An activity macro would consist of whatever series of commands from any devices plus mapping of each key group to specific devices. Then you can have ad hoc macros that perform any series of commands you wish. Of course you can put any function or macro from any device on any physical or soft button. You're limited to about 115 functions per device, so some things like AVRs would need to be broken up into a few devices if you want every possible function. For example, I treat each zone of my AVR as a unique device. The remote also learns and can import pronto hex, indirectly. Graphically, each command or favorite channel can have an icon from any jpg or png source. Each activity and device can also have an icon but only from a preconfigured set or icons. You only need to use Windows software once to update the firmware. After that, you can use RM exclusively on whatever platform you wish.

2. Touch has good ergonomics IMO. Key placement is good. Keys are easily identifiable by feel and easy to reach and logically organized. The touch screen is quite sensitive, so you have to be careful not to touch the wrong thing. I've never had a problem with the slider.

3. Durability with the Touch isn't that great. Of the roughly 12 I've had in the past 7 years or so, 4 have failed, 3 of which were worn out buttons, another the touch screen became scrambled and unresponsive. Since they are so cheap, I just stock up and grab a another when one dies. The later models seem to be holding up better. So they must have made some production changes near the end.

4. I charge my Touch about once a month, but of course that will vary by usage. Mine gets used only a couple of hours per day, and I have the backlight level and timeout set very low. I have replaced only a couple of batteries. They are cheap and plentiful on ebay since I think they also fit certain popular cameras.

I like the RF base since it comes with 6 tiny blasters on long, thin leads. However RF range is not spectacular, as I only get a little over 30 ft through a couple of walls.

As you can see from some recent posts here, Xsight Touch can apparently control many home automation devices via RF, but I don't know if Hue is one of them. Looks like home automation support is far broader for the European version of Xsight.

If you want home automation, IP, BT, wifi, etc., Elite is really the better option. However, its programming capabilities are more limited than Xsight and far more limited than URC. On Harmony, you program the activity macros by answering questions. It then creates macros for you which you cannot change. This works for most people, but I prefer to have more control, so I steer clear of Harmony, although I do program them for family and friends who are quite happy with them.

My understanding is that URC has far better programming capabilities than Xsight or Harmony, but like Xsight, also lacks IP, BT, wifi control found in the Elite. Harmony has the most limited programming capabilities of all. But you'll need to skim the Elite forums to get a clearer idea of exactly what they can do. I've never used one myself. I can tell you I do not like the fact that the Elite has no dedicated skip buttons. Seems like a huge oversight for such a high end remote. There are workarounds like gestures and long presses, but I prefer dedicated buttons. Yet another reason I've never gotten one myself.

Bottom line, every option comes with trade offs. Having used RM and its predecessor for nearly 20 years, I'm partial to Xsight. I also like Xsight due to its very low price (the $250 Touch is currently selling for as low as $30). Xsight lacks some advanced programming features and can only operate IR devices and some RF devices, but that's all I need it for, nothing fancy.

Xsight is so cheap, I think its worth picking up one to play with. Even if you end up ultimately going another route for your main home theater, Xsight could be used in some other room.
Philip Brandes likes this.
post #1122 of 1137 Old 09-20-2016, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the quick, informative reply! Based on reading the tutorials, the RM capabilities seem fairly comparable to the very ancient URC software for the MX-850.

I'll look at picking up a Touch... eBay prices for new ones seem to start around $60-$70... (I just can't go down the path of handling someone's groaty used remote :-)

Thanks again!
- Philip

Last edited by Philip Brandes; 09-20-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Sorry I missed your info about the UEL software, I have edited this post to remove the question.
post #1123 of 1137 Old 09-20-2016, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I hear you. But nearly all the "used" ones I've gotten have been practically mint. Good pictures usually tell the tale. My guess is most are new old stock or store returns that haven't really seen any action. In any case, I scored a Touch for $40 last week after some haggling. I even won one auction for $30 a few weeks prior because there were no other bids. But the seller backed out of that one (claimed it was "lost", then relisted it a few days later for a higher price).

When you're shopping, realize the Xsight Touch, Nevo C3 and ARRX18G are all the same remote, so include all in your search. If you want to use RF, you'll need to buy a REX-433 base at some point.

It's my long term goal to do an RM tutorial for Xsight on the wiki with lots of screen shots, but I haven't gotten around to it.

Hope to see you over at hifi-remote.com .
foxxiu likes this.
post #1124 of 1137 Old 09-22-2016, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mdavej,

How do you edit device icon in RMIR? For some reason one of my devices does not have one. I have tried clicking on the check boxes and the column to no avail. It will appear to open a field when I double click on the check box, but I cannot edit it.

Thanks in advance.

John
post #1125 of 1137 Old 09-23-2016, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #1126 of 1137 Old 09-23-2016, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you so much! That did the trick!
post #1127 of 1137 Old 09-27-2016, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
First of all, I want to thank everybody here for all the usefull information that they have shared. My problem is that the battery door of my touch remote has broken and even though I have been searching in ebay for a broken remote for spare parts nothing has come up. Do you know of any other online source that I could check?
Worst case scenario, I will buy a used remote from ebay.
post #1128 of 1137 Old 09-27-2016, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublP View Post
First of all, I want to thank everybody here for all the usefull information that they have shared. My problem is that the battery door of my touch remote has broken and even though I have been searching in ebay for a broken remote for spare parts nothing has come up. Do you know of any other online source that I could check?
Worst case scenario, I will buy a used remote from ebay.
Send me a PM with your address - I can send you one.

xnappo
post #1129 of 1137 Old 09-28-2016, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
Send me a PM with your address - I can send you one.

xnappo
Thank you for the offer xnappo.
I reside in the Netherlands, so before you send it please send me a pm with your paypal account nr so that I will reimburse your postage costs (and any additional fee for your trouble).
I don't need it right away, so you can use "normal" post.
I haven't posted 15 posts yet so I cannot pm you (forum rules), but if you pm me (one of) your e-mail address I can send you my address there.
Thank you once more.
post #1130 of 1137 Old 10-20-2016, 10:28 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Decided to give the Nevo C2 a try. Have been using an old MRX-500 that has lasted me 15 years and still going (well, not the light), and another HTM remote (can't recall the number). Don't really need another remote, but looks like a fun little product at $25 (used on ebay).

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #1131 of 1137 Old 11-05-2016, 05:45 AM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Okay, so received my C2 in excellent condition. Downloaded Remote Master, installed Java, etc. A few issues:

1. When I plug the USB into my Windows 10 PC, it doesn't recognize the device?
2. This is an interesting one, when I go to http://ez-rc.com/Pages/LogOn/UserLogOn.aspx and attempt to sign up, I get "email already exists in the system". So I thought, hey, maybe at some point I was on here before and click Forget password, and it then says "email doesn't exist in system". I tried 3 other emails I use, all with the same result. WTH??

Basically stuck at this point!

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #1132 of 1137 Old 11-05-2016, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Brandes View Post
Thanks for the quick, informative reply! Based on reading the tutorials, the RM capabilities seem fairly comparable to the very ancient URC software for the MX-850.

I'll look at picking up a Touch... eBay prices for new ones seem to start around $60-$70... (I just can't go down the path of handling someone's groaty used remote :-)

Thanks again!
- Philip
I don't look at this forum too often, so a late reply on this one. I had a Harmony 1100 in use for several years. Picked up an AR ARRX18G ( like Nevo C3 ) and used it for a while. When Harmony offered their $100 trade-in offer, I picked up a Harmony Elite. The RF hub is an extra device that has to be placed somewhere, but it works better than the XSight. Setting up the Elite is easier than EZ-RC. Programming is more limited than XSight, but I've been able to create work-arounds for everything I need to do. The only annoyance I have with Elite is, when I switch activities, the ON trigger for my lighting is automatic. That brings the lights up to full power and then back down via an additional command placed in the sequence. That is the main problem with the Harmony way of doing things... turning ON ( or OFF ) a device is automatic if it is part of the devices added to the activity. No way, that I have found in my limited research, to trigger a command from a device that isn't included in an activity.

The lack of dedicated SKIP buttons isn't a big deal as the existing FF/Rewind buttons can be set up for short press/long press. My problem is that short press is automatically set to FF/Rewind and not SKIP. They have to be manually switched for each device and activity. It would be nice if we had a global option for these buttons.

If you are used to URC, I'd stick with URC as anything else, programming wise, would probably be a disappointment. It has been 10 years for you and URC is much more strict on their programming software these days. I crossed URC off my list because no local dealers would give me the software. I think there is a reputable on-line etailer that will provide the software with a new URC remote, but I like to support local as much as possible.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 75" 850C, Oppo BDP-103D, Roku 4.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).

PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB2000 sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.

Last edited by jevans64; 11-05-2016 at 06:26 AM.
post #1133 of 1137 Old 11-05-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll just chime in that the main thing that got me hooked on JP1 remotes is the ability to have multiples.

I have three Xsights in my living room and three in my HT, plus three more in a drawer. And I got all those for the same price as ONE Harmony Elite. Now, granted, the eBay prices fluctuate and they are harder to find at $35 now, but they do still pop up. For me the convenience of never having to look for a remote and always having one charged it more valuable than the slight disadvantages vs. higher priced remotes. I will say that I always research IR support before I buy equipment - so all my stuff is very remote friendly.

xnappo
post #1134 of 1137 Old 11-05-2016, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post
Okay, so received my C2 in excellent condition. Downloaded Remote Master, installed Java, etc. A few issues:

1. When I plug the USB into my Windows 10 PC, it doesn't recognize the device?
2. This is an interesting one, when I go to http://ez-rc.com/Pages/LogOn/UserLogOn.aspx and attempt to sign up, I get "email already exists in the system". So I thought, hey, maybe at some point I was on here before and click Forget password, and it then says "email doesn't exist in system". I tried 3 other emails I use, all with the same result. WTH??

Basically stuck at this point!
Read Dave's wiki here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo

In general you will find more users/support over there... Can't help you with the username problem, but the Wiki answers your 1st question.
foxxiu likes this.
post #1135 of 1137 Old 11-05-2016, 12:26 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
Read Dave's wiki here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo

In general you will find more users/support over there... Can't help you with the username problem, but the Wiki answers your 1st question.
Yeah, tried that registry file but get an "error accessing the registry". So guess I will try the manual fix.

Edit: Actually, the registry item is already set to 0 and not 1. Guess I will post over at hifi...Thank you btw!

Quote:

Last edited by pbc; 11-05-2016 at 12:29 PM.
post #1136 of 1137 Old 11-05-2016, 12:36 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

Just for kicks I made up an email address trying to set up a new account here...http://ez-rc.com/Pages/LogOn/NewUserRegistration.aspx

... and got the same "This e-mail address is already registered with us."

Can anyone else try out of curiousity to see if they are getting the same error? Not sure where else to get the latest firmware and a baseline config unless someone can email these to me?

Quote:

post #1137 of 1137 Old 11-05-2016, 12:55 PM
pbc
AVS Forum Special Member

.... nm... seems I was trying to login via Chrome and not IE. Odd error to get though!
xnappo likes this.

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Acoustic Research , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Remotes And Controllers