Acoustic Research XSight Remote - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #1141 of 1169 Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
I think you need to read Dave's wiki more closely

There is already a much better PC-based application called RM-IR.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...nd_Programming
I think you need to read my earlier post. I am obviously well aware of RMIR 😃.

I like RMIR for backup and for multi remote cloning, but EZ-RC is a lot easier to use for everything else. Furthermore, their database of supported hardware is orders of magnitude better than what we have through JP1.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all of the work that was done to create RMIR (and if any of those of you who were engaged in the development are ever in the Lehigh Valley, PA, the beers are on me), but EZ-RC is actually, in my opinion, even easier to use than the Harmony platform and more fully functional.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1169 Old 12-29-2016, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Sorry - so you meant somehow scraping the code for EZ-RC and running it locally... That would be nice, but unless they have a security hole, probably not possible.

Will have to agree to disagree on RMIR vs. EZRC - but then I have been using RMIR for 15+ years.

Last edited by xnappo; 12-29-2016 at 01:16 PM.
post #1143 of 1169 Old 12-30-2016, 09:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked: 953
My thoughts about EZ-RC vs. RMIR are in the wiki. Long story short, RMIR is direct, fast, logical and elegant. The 20 questions configuration model of EZ-RC is brutally slow and inefficient for an advanced user and the main reason I don't use Harmony remotes. If I had an offline version of EZ-RC, I would never use it. Not having direct access to the UEI device database is a drawback. But we do have indirect access through the simpleset site. And RMIR does many more things than EZ-RC.

We lost access to EZ-RC for several days just recently, and it won't be around forever. It's in any Xsight/Nevo owner's best interest to learn how to use RMIR as it will far outlast all Xsight/Nevo remotes.
blackssr likes this.

post #1144 of 1169 Old 02-07-2017, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey guys, I have had this remote for years and have been using it with my xbox360. After buying a new receiver I stupidly deleted my old profile cuz I wanted to start fresh. Big mistake because now I can't seem to get it to work with the 360. I can't remember what I did years ago to make it work. Can anyone help me out?

post #1145 of 1169 Old 02-07-2017, 06:38 PM

On EZ-RC, add new device, follow the prompts for adding Digital Media Player, enter Microsoft Xbox360. Or on remote itself, Settings, Add Device, Digital Media, Microsoft, Begin, Next (shows code N2049), Works.

Assuming you do have the right code already and it still doesn't work, then you need to go into the settings on the Xbox and enable IR. Also keep in mind the IR reception on the Xbox is horrible, so you have to be directly in front of it for it to work.

Best long term option is to use Remote Master. Then you can save any number of configs locally on your PC so you don't lose the only and only copy on UEI's server.

Everything you need to know about Xsight and Remote Master: http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo
kb9oma likes this.
post #1146 of 1169 Old 02-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
On EZ-RC, add new device, follow the prompts for adding Digital Media Player, enter Microsoft Xbox360. Or on remote itself, Settings, Add Device, Digital Media, Microsoft, Begin, Next (shows code N2049), Works.

Assuming you do have the right code already and it still doesn't work, then you need to go into the settings on the Xbox and enable IR. Also keep in mind the IR reception on the Xbox is horrible, so you have to be directly in front of it for it to work.

Best long term option is to use Remote Master. Then you can save any number of configs locally on your PC so you don't lose the only and only copy on UEI's server.

Everything you need to know about Xsight and Remote Master: http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo
the wierdest thing happens. During the test, the power button doesn't work. but when I select that it works then the power button suddenly does work again. thanks!

post #1147 of 1169 Old 02-17-2017, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
UEI NEVO C3 Remote using EZ- RC Problems

In past years, I have sold & programmed these Remotes. Just recently, I got a few more, and have suddenly had noi luck doing it now. I cannot even Log In. I got a new log in. Nothing works. Now I can't get passed the Log in screen. I tried deleting the program; re-installing it; now nothing works. I tried using it with a different computer. Nothing. What else can I do? These are still nice & functional Remotes. A while back, I looked for help on Remotecentral.com. No luck. Anything you can recommend? Thanks

A/V is only as good as your weakest link.
post #1148 of 1169 Old 02-17-2017, 10:01 PM

I posted several solutions to the same question of yours at remotecentral 4 months ago, but you ignored my advice, then stopped responding. In short, Remote Master will work fine with your remote until the end of its life. You can also make ez-rc work again in Win 10 if you read and follow the instructions I posted before.

We left off where you had installed Internet Explorer which was inexplicably missing from your computer, and you had failed to confirm whether you performed the registry change required to allow your remote to stay connected in Win 10. If you make that simple change it will connect. And if you launch ez-rc in IE compatibility mode, you'll be able to login with your original credentials.

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...i?9791#1325198
post #1149 of 1169 Old 02-20-2017, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello need some help. Just got a Nevo C2 remote. What is the easiest way to program it with my tivo roami and tivo mini? Any tutorials here? Tia
just made account JP1 remote, but i dont get any email confirmation to verify my account. caloyzki is the username
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by parekoy; 02-20-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: forgot to mention something
post #1150 of 1169 Old 05-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 119
I just got this email. Not good news for those using the ez-rc site for programming.

As a valued user of one or more Xsight products, we would like to inform you that One For All, OFA, announces the end-of-life for the ez-rc website: http://www.ez-rc.com . For the past several months we’ve had a banner on this site indicating the end-of-life of this service.
If you have an Xsight remote that you would like to reconfigure or modify, please do so before the 8th of May.
In the event that you have just purchased an Xsight remote, a newer replacement model can be offered as a substitute under the conditions of the warranty upon presentation of a valid proof of purchase.
The same model can also be offered at a reduced price for existing Xsight users who wish to replace their current remote due to new devices or programming requirements. For details, please contact One For All customer service via the contact form on www.oneforall.com.

Alternative Products:

We invite you to try some of our new product offerings available free of charge:

Nevo Home
Discover and interact with your devices with nevo Home

My Nevo
Download My Nevo for simple discovery of what's around you.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your business and hope you will continue to show interest in One For All / Universal Electronics products. We sincerely appreciate your support and regret any inconvenience this necessary action causes you.
Thank You,
The OFA Team
foxxiu likes this.
post #1151 of 1169 Old 05-04-2017, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post
I just got this email. Not good news for those using the ez-rc site for programming.

As a valued user of one or more Xsight products, we would like to inform you that One For All, OFA, announces the end-of-life for the ez-rc website: http://www.ez-rc.com . For the past several months we’ve had a banner on this site indicating the end-of-life of this service.
If you have an Xsight remote that you would like to reconfigure or modify, please do so before the 8th of May.
In the event that you have just purchased an Xsight remote, a newer replacement model can be offered as a substitute under the conditions of the warranty upon presentation of a valid proof of purchase.
The same model can also be offered at a reduced price for existing Xsight users who wish to replace their current remote due to new devices or programming requirements. For details, please contact One For All customer service via the contact form on www.oneforall.com.

Alternative Products:

We invite you to try some of our new product offerings available free of charge:

Nevo Home

My Nevo

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your business and hope you will continue to show interest in One For All / Universal Electronics products. We sincerely appreciate your support and regret any inconvenience this necessary action causes you.
Thank You,
The OFA Team
I just got the same email. I can't see why they can't just leave the service running for legacy product support, after all it only piggybacks off their existing master database which is used for other products and apart from that needs no maintenance or ongoing work.

They offer an 'upgrade' to a newer One-For-All remote, but having looked at their current range there doesn't seem to be anything that is anywhere close to being as well-specified as my XSight-Touch device. They also suggest using their Nevo software, but all the links just go to Android/etc apps to turn mobiles into IR remotes (not what I want at all) and I can't see anything that allows me to program my current remote.

I know I can use Remote Master, but that is a really clunky and over-technical solution, while EZ-RC (as annoying as its wizard-based interface can be) is actually rather simple and easy to work with - especially when adding new devices or adjusting buttons and macros, which are almost transparent tasks. RM has a much steeper learning curve, which would be fine if I used it every day but as I tend to only need to reprogram a couple of times a year I find EZ-RC's friendly interface is much easier for occasional use.

Luckily I've just programmed a new Amp and Media Streamer into my remote, but it won't be long before I need to replace my cable box and probably get a newer 4K OLED TV before long - and then OFA will have really screwed me.

Andre
post #1152 of 1169 Old 05-04-2017, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 23
got 4 days guess I better get to work on updating the remotes and I will have to figure out rmir
post #1153 of 1169 Old 05-05-2017, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I have an ARRX18G that I am embarrassed to say has been sitting in the package since I bought it years ago. By pure luck I decided to open it and set it up tonight. I now realize I was lucky I did since support is ending in a few days.

How can I download the software now? I can't seem to find a way???
post #1154 of 1169 Old 05-05-2017, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
I have an ARRX18G that I am embarrassed to say has been sitting in the package since I bought it years ago. By pure luck I decided to open it and set it up tonight. I now realize I was lucky I did since support is ending in a few days.

How can I download the software now? I can't seem to find a way???
You really want to head over here and learn about RM-IR. Once you learn RM-IR you will never use anything else:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo

xnappo
post #1155 of 1169 Old 05-05-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtlots View Post

Alternative Products:

Nevo Home

My Nevo

Thank You,
The OFA Team
Now what?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
post #1156 of 1169 Old 05-05-2017, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Now RM-IR.
post #1157 of 1169 Old 05-05-2017, 04:07 PM

tap...tap...tap

Is this thing on?

The main reason the talented folks in the JP1 community added Xsight/Nevo support to Remote Master is so we wouldn't have to depend on EZ-RC, which we knew wouldn't last forever. So please listen to xnappo's words of wisdom, and you can continue programming your remote indefinitely. Come on in. The water's fine.
andrewilley likes this.
post #1158 of 1169 Old 05-08-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:
The main reason the talented folks in the JP1 community added Xsight/Nevo support to Remote Master is so we wouldn't have to depend on EZ-RC, which we knew wouldn't last forever. So please listen to xnappo's words of wisdom, and you can continue programming your remote indefinitely. Come on in. The water's fine.
I know about that, and I have it on my PC, but although everyone says it's better than EZ-RC (which I agree was a bit bogged down in its wizard-based interface) for some reason I never seemed to find RM anywhere near as easy to use or visually intuitive. For example, I still haven't managed to find how to simply set up a new device by the manufacturer's name & model number. e.g. my Onkyo TX-NR555 amp which I added using EZ-RC a few weeks ago in a couple of clicks (from the extensive OneForAll database) but I can't seem to find it at all in RMIR. The docs and FAQs don't seem to help much in that area either.

At least it will carry on working though - once I finally figure out how to use it!

Andre
post #1159 of 1169 Old 05-08-2017, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
At least it will carry on working though - once I finally figure out how to use it!

Andre
No doubt there is a learning curve!

This section describes how to add a new device - basically you have to browse the hifi-remote web site file area for your device.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...Add_an_Upgrade
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...egory&cat_id=4
andrewilley and foxxiu like this.
post #1160 of 1169 Old 05-08-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
No doubt there is a learning curve!
More of a learning mountainside I think but I'm sure I'll crack it. I was hoping the software would be able to access the same automatic database as other OneForAll (or Logitech) devices , which within a couple of clicks in EZ-RC seemed incredibly extensive - but I guess they don't provide external-facing APIs.

However as long as it works when I find I need to add a new device, I'll settle for that!

I wish there was a more modern universal remote that came even half-way toward the elegant functionality of these XSight Touches. The closest I've been able to find is the (very expensive!) Harmony Elite, but that lacks some very basic physical controls such as numeric keys and (apparently, from what I can see) separate fast-forward/rewind and next-track/prev-track buttons. And the current OneForAll range is overall a bit of a joke, they don't do any high-end product at all.

Andre
post #1161 of 1169 Old 05-08-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was hoping the software would be able to access the same automatic database as other OneForAll (or Logitech) devices , which within a couple of clicks in EZ-RC seemed incredibly extensive - but I guess they don't provide external-facing APIs.
Definitely not - they consider their library of codes to be extremely valuable. This makes contributing the the open source library at JP1 more fun though.

Quote:
I wish there was a more modern universal remote that came even half-way toward the elegant functionality of these XSight Touches. The closest I've been able to find is the (very expensive!) Harmony Elite, but that lacks some very basic physical controls such as numeric keys and (apparently, from what I can see) separate fast-forward/rewind and next-track/prev-track buttons. And the current OneForAll range is overall a bit of a joke, they don't do any high-end product at all.
I know. It is a really bad situation. If I thought there was a market for it I would try to make one, but I don't think most people care.

I recently made a pretty nice remote for my phone using Tasker - but I hate not having physical buttons.

Last edited by xnappo; 05-08-2017 at 08:26 AM.
post #1162 of 1169 Old 05-08-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I know about that, and I have it on my PC, but although everyone says it's better than EZ-RC (which I agree was a bit bogged down in its wizard-based interface) for some reason I never seemed to find RM anywhere near as easy to use or visually intuitive. For example, I still haven't managed to find how to simply set up a new device by the manufacturer's name & model number. e.g. my Onkyo TX-NR555 amp which I added using EZ-RC a few weeks ago in a couple of clicks (from the extensive OneForAll database) but I can't seem to find it at all in RMIR. The docs and FAQs don't seem to help much in that area either.

Andre
That is a drawback. I would suggest first adding the device using the wizard on the remote itself until you are comfortable searching and downloading from our JP1 database.
post #1163 of 1169 Old 05-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
That is a drawback. I would suggest first adding the device using the wizard on the remote itself until you are comfortable searching and downloading from our JP1 database.
And therein lies the slight problem of course, now that the EZ-RC online wizard for this remote has been deactivated by OneForAll (or whoever originally ran it). So for future devices, the only option will be to soft load new codes via RMIR.

There are plenty of virtual remotes for phones of course (like the rather snazzy looking one that xnappo has written) but they are not really substitutes for physical keys. (Have you ever tried operating a solely touch-screen device in the dark by feel alone without looking down at it, like you can a regular remote?)

Andre
post #1164 of 1169 Old 05-08-2017, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Im glad since i got my remote 2 or 3 yrs ago i never rely on EZRC i dont know how to do it with EZRC instead i jumped directly to RMIR codes. Which is for me easily doing it than the ezrc. All we have to know is how does it work and aftrr couple of trial and error its very easy to installed the codes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #1165 of 1169 Old 05-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The ez-rc.com website is still working for me today with my AR Xsight color remote, days after the 5/8/17 cutoff date.
I can login, load my existing setup and edit the configuration and key setups.
post #1166 of 1169 Old 05-11-2017, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
You really want to head over here and learn about RM-IR. Once you learn RM-IR you will never use anything else:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo

xnappo
I have been playing around with RM-IR but I have a lot to learn. I will keep playing around with it but I can tell there is a very steep learning curve. I might just buy a Harmony the next time they go on sale and move on.

Edit: I have gotten most of my devices added just using the remote. Unfortunately I can't get my Sony HW40ES to work with it. I even tried to learn the power function and that won't work either.

I am gonna have to spend some time learning RM-IR it appears.

Last edited by beekermartin; 05-11-2017 at 11:44 PM.
post #1167 of 1169 Old 05-12-2017, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriscoCountyJr View Post
The ez-rc.com website is still working for me today with my AR Xsight color remote, days after the 5/8/17 cutoff date.
I can login, load my existing setup and edit the configuration and key setups.
Worked yesterday for me too.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
post #1168 of 1169 Old 05-12-2017, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

And you think that means it will keep running for...?
post #1169 of 1169 Old Today, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
And you think that means it will keep running for...?
And I guess now we know..

http://www.ez-rc.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Acoustic Research , Harmony 1100 Remcontrol , Remotes And Controllers