Wired IR Extender for Motorola/Comcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-11-2009, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm Using a Motorola DCT3416 for comcast cable in my media room. The signal is also distibuted to 2 other TVs in the basement via distibuition amp. I have the ability to run wires from the cable box to the other rooms.

Is there someting I can plug into the cable box and control the cable box in the other rooms? (Getting real tired of walking back and forth).

Thanks

ÂA respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingersÂ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-11-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

This may sound silly, but a pair of Powermids would probably work well for your particular situation. http://www.amazon.com/X10-POWERMID-C...7324631&sr=8-1

If it is just the one box you want to control, if you can get over the looks, these should work fine. I have a set, and they do work. Check ebay for a better price.

If you have multiple units, and can run Cat5e cable, these work too. I own two of these setups also. http://www.amazon.com/Microsmith-Hot.../dp/B000IBTK7U

Mike
post #3 of 11 Old 07-11-2009, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

This may sound silly, but a pair of Powermids would probably work well for your particular situation. http://www.amazon.com/X10-POWERMID-C...7324631&sr=8-1

If it is just the one box you want to control, if you can get over the looks, these should work fine. I have a set, and they do work. Check ebay for a better price.

Mike

I was actually looking at that. That's my fall back if I can't find a wired solution. Thanks.

Glen

ÂA respectable amount of bourbon to pour in a glass is about two fingers worth. Lucky for me I have big fingersÂ
post #4 of 11 Old 07-11-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGHoover View Post

I was actually looking at that. That's my fall back if I can't find a wired solution. Thanks.

Glen

Check out the Hot-Link gear, they are more money, but do work as advertised over Cat5e. But, to control one box, honestly I would go with one of the Powermids and save my money, even though they look goofy they do work well in limited applications.

Now if you are looking to control multiple devices, like gear in a rack, that is where I ran into issues with the Powermids, they did not play well with multiple units, 5+. That is where the Hot-Link unit shines and is virtually invisible.

Mike
post #5 of 11 Old 07-11-2009, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

There are also these Terk units http://www.buydig.com/Shop/product.aspx?sku=TRKLFRF

You replace one of your batteries in your remote and place the one unit up at your cable box. Same concept as the Powermid, just not as goofy looking. But, if you have a universal remote with a charging dock, like a Harmony One, these will not work.

Mike
post #6 of 11 Old 07-11-2009, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I'm really only concerned with changing the channels on the cable box. There is a plug on the back of the cable box that says IR. Is there not something I can buy and plug in to that or one of the USB ports and run to the other room(s)??

post #7 of 11 Old 07-11-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm really only concerned with changing the channels on the cable box. There is a plug on the back of the cable box that says IR. Is there not something I can buy and plug in to that or one of the USB ports and run to the other room(s)??

Let me check something.

Mike

On edit: I pulled up your manual and this is what I found regarding the IR plug on the back of your box. See the attachments below, it won't work for your intended purposes.
LL
LL
post #8 of 11 Old 07-11-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well.. Looks like that won't work. Thanks!.

Anybody ever used these??
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

post #9 of 11 Old 07-11-2009, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well.. Looks like that won't work. Thanks!.

Anybody ever used these??
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

For twenty bucks, get one.

Mike
post #10 of 11 Old 07-12-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For twenty bucks, get one.

Mike

My thoughts exactly!

post #11 of 11 Old 08-27-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Let me check something.

Mike

On edit: I pulled up your manual and this is what I found regarding the IR plug on the back of your box. See the attachments below, it won't work for your intended purposes.

That input should work for my intended purposes, if it is "live" I called comcast and they said some of that stuff in the back of the box might be "disabled", so do you know if that works?
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page