Harmony One: 3rd party software - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-18-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any software (pref. open source) able to connect the Harmony One to a PC (Windows or Linux), and able to perform the remote programming?
(Did a few googles, no luck so far for the H1).

This is in order to bypass the Logitech buggy, inconvenient, indiscreet and slow software. Moreover it doesn't allow a local PC copy of the data (have to save / retrieve data from/to Logitech only!).

Next time I buy electronics, I'll have a look at the provided software as well prior to taking the purchase-decision...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-18-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
no... you can only program it through the web interface...

imo, you are overstating the "limitations" of the harmony software, but to each his own...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3 of 16 Old 07-21-2009, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Its not like Logitech is going to provide open source to there remote but I wish they did too. I have a list of things I would like to fix/change and i would even send it back to them afterwards....
post #4 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Actually, there is an open source, cross-platform, SourceForge project for harmony programming called 'Concordance'. They don't yet support the One though.

http://www.phildev.net/harmony/index.shtml

I haven't tried it myself.

Jonathan
post #5 of 16 Old 07-22-2009, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks JR, I will check it out more later. I didnt see anything on the home page (although it was only a quick glance) mentioning whether it was actually open source or not.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Tom,

All projects hosted on SourceForge are open source / gpl. I haven't downloaded the tar's, but they usually have pre-compiled versions for the supported OS's, as well as the source and make files.

Jonathan
post #7 of 16 Old 07-24-2009, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

damn I guess I was hoping for to much to also expect an MS language such as VB, C++, C# etc
post #8 of 16 Old 08-03-2009, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhite View Post

Actually, there is an open source, cross-platform, SourceForge project for harmony programming called 'Concordance'. They don't yet support the One though.

Thanks for the link.
I had a look: the reason why it doesn't work with the Harmony One is because Logitech implemented a complex encryption protocol between the computer and the H1 device.
Encryption usually rhythms with Interdiction. In other words, it is unlikely we ever see an open-source program to dialog with the harmony one :-(

Ok, the Harmony One was not my first Logitech device, but it is surely my last.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Baladin,

I wouldn't be too hard on the Logitech folks. They created ( well, not really them ), a very sophisticated mass market product that works quite well for the vast majority of their customers.

Although the Concordance team would like nothing more than Logitech opening up the Harmony, I really don't think that's likely. The reason being is that once you publish an API, you either fully support it, and the possibly zillions of small developers, or you do it half baked by publishing some specs. If you do it half baked, the open source community will be in a rage about your buggy API. If you fully support it, it costs tons of money ... money you don't need to spend because you already provide a complete solution.

Why did they encrypt the communication on the new remotes? Well, I'd say it was to discourage the hacking of their remote. The much earlier Harmony's used XML configuration files. Those were replaced with undocumented binaries. Why ... because they don't want someone downloading and using a custom editor, and then coming to them for support. ie " Hey, Logitech ... my remote won't turn on anymore ... noooo, I didn't do anything 'funny'."

That said, in programming where there's a will there's a way. If enough bright minds concentrate on it, they'll hack it.

For you though, I'd consider a Pronto, or a URC if you can find a dealer that will agree to give you the editor ( it's their prerogative). I think this is the type of flexibility you're looking for. You might even consider the URC MX-450, which can be purchased from Amazon, that will let you program everything on the remote itself. This is the primary remote I use, and I'm completely happy with it.

Jonathan
post #10 of 16 Old 08-30-2009, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwhite View Post

Why did they encrypt the communication on the new remotes? Well, I'd say it was to discourage the hacking of their remote.

Thanks Jonathan for your answer.
But I don't want to spend more $ on a remote.

Why was I looking for an open soft to program the Harmony one?
Because the one provided by Logitech is suffering many flaws. (I'm not talking about the device itself, but the soft that comes with it and the way it has to be used).

Besides the bugs and the (very) bad ergonomics, it also only works connected to the Internet, it saves your own programs/config at Logitech!
- No local copy of your programs
- The data I enter in my One may not be highly confidential, but I don't want Logitech to look at it, and my list of hardware.
- And anyway, the soft crashes... and sometimes you have to reinstall the whole stuff. And sometimes it doesn't find your data back [look at the many complains on the Net]

I've been in the software development business for years, and the Logitech program is one of the worst I've had to work with for a long time. It is a textbook case of bad programming/ergonomics.
post #11 of 16 Old 08-30-2009, 12:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I agree 110% with everything you said.

There is a way to keep a local copy of your setup, although it's just the file that gets loaded into the remote. Go to http://myremotesetup.com/ and when you do an update the config file gets downloaded and you can archive a copy and use it directly to update your remote any time.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-31-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baladin View Post

Thanks Jonathan for your answer.
But I don't want to spend more $ on a remote.

Why was I looking for an open soft to program the Harmony one?
Because the one provided by Logitech is suffering many flaws. (I'm not talking about the device itself, but the soft that comes with it and the way it has to be used).

Besides the bugs and the (very) bad ergonomics, it also only works connected to the Internet, it saves your own programs/config at Logitech!
- No local copy of your programs
- The data I enter in my One may not be highly confidential, but I don't want Logitech to look at it, and my list of hardware.
- And anyway, the soft crashes... and sometimes you have to reinstall the whole stuff. And sometimes it doesn't find your data back [look at the many complains on the Net]

I've been in the software development business for years, and the Logitech program is one of the worst I've had to work with for a long time. It is a textbook case of bad programming/ergonomics.

Could you be more specific about its bad ergonomics? If nothing else, the Harmony One and its brother the 900, have the best ergonomics of any remote out there. While I recognize ergonomics is a personal thing and one size doesn't fit all when it comes to remotes, IMO the ergonomics of these two Logitech models sets them apart from most of the others. People complain a lot about some of software issues you have brought up, but few complain about its ergonomics.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

Could you be more specific about its bad ergonomics? If nothing else, the Harmony One and its brother the 900, have the best ergonomics of any remote out there. While I recognize ergonomics is a personal thing and one size doesn't fit all when it comes to remotes, IMO the ergonomics of these two Logitech models sets them apart from most of the others. People complain a lot about some of software issues you have brought up, but few complain about its ergonomics.

I think he was talking about the software ergonomics, not the hardware. As in the software doesn't flow very well and has many options buried in odd places.

post #14 of 16 Old 09-01-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

I think he was talking about the software ergonomics, not the hardware. As in the software doesn't flow very well and has many options buried in odd places.

I would agree with you about the logitech software flow and hidden features. What makes the software even more of a problem is there is no good user guide available, either written or on line, that indexes where all of the options are located. That would be a major help. Still the software could be made a lot easier to use. One example of this is the reordering of your command buttons. It is a real pain the way you have to interchange each command with the next one,to move it up or down the list of soft buttons. It isn't intuitive and is very time consuming.
post #15 of 16 Old 09-01-2009, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

It is a real pain the way you have to interchange each command with the next one,to move it up or down the list of soft buttons. It isn't intuitive and is very time consuming.

This really sucks. If you spend too much time cleaning up your soft buttons the software will timeout and you will lose your work. I was cleaning up my AVR device, which had like twelve pages, and clicked save only to find it had timed out...

post #16 of 16 Old 09-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

This really sucks. If you spend too much time cleaning up your soft buttons the software will timeout and you will lose your work. I was cleaning up my AVR device, which had like twelve pages, and clicked save only to find it had timed out...

Ouch! That must have been painful. My logitech software never timed out, because I was frequently updating my remote and checking my refinements. Whether you are using this software or a word processor, it makes sense to frequently save your work.
Reply Remote Control Area