Anyone know of a good Universal Remote? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 07-29-2009, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know of any good Univeral remote for a good price, ie about $30?

I've had problems in the past with Universal remotes. The either don't work with all of my components or certain buttons are missing, such as the "Menu" button for the TV. I want to make sure I get a good Universal remote this time, so I don't run into this same problem I had in the past. I'm tried of holding 3+ remotes while watching something on my TV, so this is why I really want one of these Universal remotes.

Here is a list of my components. I would like the remote to be able to control ALL of these.

Samsung LN32A450 LCD TV
Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-ray Disc Player
Samsung SMT-H3050 Set Top Box
Sony STR-K670P Home Theater System
Sony DVP-NS77H Upscaling DVD Player
Sony SLV-N900 VCR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 313
That's a tall order for $30. For $24 total you can get THIS remote and THIS cable, and program any buttons to do whatever you like for any device you like. You'd have to use some programming tricks to make this 5 device remote do 6 devices though. That's probably the biggest bang for your buck, but you've got a learning curve finding all the codes and figuring out the programming software.

URC has some good, inexpensive remotes like the WR7. But you still may end up with some functions missing. By that I only mean discretes which you may not be able to learn. Not an issue for most people.

If you can go up to $40 or $50, a refurb harmony like THIS or THIS would do nicely. Those will do it all with the least amount of effort on your part.
post #3 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok, it's been over a month since I started this thread and I FINALLY found the right remote for me. Just got it yesterday.

http://www.amazon.com/URC-R6-Learnin...3019897&sr=8-9

Only $20 and it controls all 6 of my components listed above. That is the best remote ever created. Best of all, it has a learning function. Shame on the members here for not suggesting this remote earlier.
post #4 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Hmm. That one looks familiar. It's almost identical to the one I recommended before, except it's 6 device instead of 7 for the same price .
Quote:

URC has some good, inexpensive remotes like the WR7.

Glad it worked out.
post #5 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

It's almost identical to the one I recommended before, except it's 6 device instead of 7 for the same price.

Shame on the members here for not reading all of the helpful links.
Hopefully the OP won't have to add a 7th device!
post #6 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm. That one looks familiar. It's almost identical to the one I recommended before, except it's 6 device instead of 7 for the same price .
Glad it worked out.

I didn't look at that link before because you first recommended a used remote, which I didn't care for and then at the end you recommended a Harmony remote, which I find to be overpriced. Are your sure you didn't add that in just now?

The remote I got was the only one they had at the B&M store I went to. I usually prefer to buy from a B&M store than online because I hate waiting and would rather pay by cash.

Anyway, I saw your remote and there's a reason it's the same price. It has less functions. I'd rather have a 6 device remote with more functions than a 7 device remote with less functions. So, it all worked out.
post #7 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle View Post

Yeah, I saw that and there's a reason it's the same price. It has less functions. I'd rather have a 6 device remote with more functions than a 7 device remote with less functions. So, it all worked out.

What functions are missing from the W7? They are both learning remotes.

post #8 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

What functions are missing from the W7? They are both learning remotes.

Letters A, B, C, and D. Those are needed for both my Cable Box and Blu-ray player.
post #9 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

You post on AVS so I'm sure the day will eventually come when you whore yourself out to a Harmony or higher end URC remote .

Verum postulo res.
post #10 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

You post on AVS so I'm sure the day will eventually come when you whore yourself out to a Harmony or higher end URC remote .

Just because we have this illness doesnt mean everyone does too. But finding others with the same sickness always makes us feel better, doesn't it?
post #11 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Letters A, B, C, and D. Those are needed for both my Cable Box and Blu-ray player.

The WR7 does include the four color buttons, they just don't have the letters on them. I think I'd rather have the WR7's 80 button learning memory and seven additional macros over the R6's 40 button memory.

post #12 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't mean to pile on here, but the WR7 is also backlit. So for most, the WR7 would be a better choice overall, considering how much more you get for the same price.
post #13 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The WR7 does include the four color buttons, they just don't have the letters on them. I think I'd rather have the WR7's 80 button learning memory and seven additional macros over the R6's 40 button memory.

Quote:

Don't mean to pile on here, but the WR7 is also backlit. So for most, the WR7 would be a better choice overall, considering how much more you get for the same price.

The WR7 does not have any color buttons nor does it have the ABCD one. I downloaded the manual and it's not on the "button layout" picture. The extra function you get on the WR7 is "CD" which isn't much. I don't have my CD player hooked up to my TV. My purpose of getting a Universal remote is so I can have one remote in my hand when I watch TV. I fail to see how the WR7 is so significantly better.
post #14 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The WR7 does not have any color buttons nor does it have the ABCD one. I downloaded the manual and it's not on the "button layout" picture. The extra function you get on the WR7 is "CD" which isn't much. I don't have my CD player hooked up to my TV. My purpose of getting a Universal remote is so I can have one remote in my hand when I watch TV. I fail to see how the WR7 is so significantly better.

I really could not care less about either of these remotes, but I'd rather others not be misled. A simple viewing of the URC website shows the four color buttons of the WR7.

http://www.universalremote.com/produ....php?model=169

And looking at the dimensions of the two remotes the R6 looks huge at 12-5/8" long compared to the WR7 at 8-3/4" long.

post #15 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oops! Was looking at the R7 manual, not the WR7. That explains it.

I admit. I made a mistake, but it wasn't a total loss. I only have 6 components and I haven't gotten beyond the 40-button memory limit. Like I said, they didn't have it at the B&M store. With online shopping, it's hard to look at things because when you search for something, it spits out a lot of results. So, I went to a B&M store where they had a small shelf of Universal remote selections. THAT is where I made my decision. They didn't have the WR7. All they had was the one I got or the FX1 (which only does 5 functions with no learning feature). The R6 was clearly the better choice of the two.

I'm really hoping for that day to come when B&M stores become equally as good as online stores. I have much more fun going to the store, picking my items on the shelf, and getting my item that same day. Online shopping is boring!
post #16 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxFreak View Post

Just because we have this illness doesnt mean everyone does too. But finding others with the same sickness always makes us feel better, doesn't it?

Absolutely, this forum is a great source of enablers .

Verum postulo res.
post #17 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I should also mention that I had no idea there was such thing as a "learning feature" until I got my remote. I'm slow when it comes to keeping up with the times. In the past, when I bought a Universal remote, you have to punch in the code and whatever function is pre-prgrammed in the remote is what you're stuck with. So, I assumed every Universal remote out there works the same way. I didn't know about these URC remotes and their ability to learn new functions until after I got my R6 remote. So, I'm still happy with my purchase even though it's not the best bang for the buck.

And I'm sure the Harmony remotes are awesome. My only complaint is that they're too expensive.
post #18 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My only complaint is that they're too expensive.

Expensive is a relative term. If you've spent $5K+ on equipment, why not spend some more on a remote to control it properly. The remote is probably the most used item and is often neglected.

With a properly setup remote you can have grandma using your home theater without any instructions. Otherwise you'll have to give anyone that didn't program the remote a lesson just to make the thing work. Using Harmony remotes as an example it is as easy as hitting Watch TV and everything is set to watch TV including turning on the TV, DVR, Receiver, switching inputs, and having the remote keys function as expected for that activity. There is some value there to make up for the additional cost. My wife can use my Harmony 890 to watch TV, use my HTPC, and control the lights. At this point I won't be "allowed" to downgrade.

post #19 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

But seriously? $100 for just a remote?! It's a rip-off! $50, ok and that's already pushing the limit. But $100 is outrageous.
post #20 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Many spend much more than $100 for remotes... depends on your budget and priorities. Not a "rip-off" by any means for convenience and simplicity.
post #21 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

But seriously? $100 for just a remote?! It's a rip-off! $50, ok and that's already pushing the limit. But $100 is outrageous.

100 dollars for a remote that hooks into your PC, has an LCD display, and can control literally anything with programmed activities, customized delays, backlight based on a tilt sensor and great battery life - maybe not so bad as you think. This isn't a remote, it's a seriously engineered little device.

Verum postulo res.
post #22 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

remotes are like putters. People spend tons on drivers and irons to shoot 2-3 shots over 300 yards then they spend very little to shoot 3 shots 10feet...... and then they leave the golf course and go buy a new driver...... ooops

Nice Harmony remote which anyone in my house could use to watch a movie is definately worth it compared to having to go downstairs and turn equipment off every time someone else wants to watch a movie. And it is DEFINATELY worth it the next day if I can go down in the HT room and see that the PJ was off all night compared to seeing that it was on........(happens with my tv all the time which is why I am looking for a cheap Harmony).

All depends on your situation
post #23 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUpton View Post

100 dollars for a remote that hooks into your PC, has an LCD display, and can control literally anything with programmed activities, customized delays, backlight based on a tilt sensor and great battery life - maybe not so bad as you think. This isn't a remote, it's a seriously engineered little device.

That's the thing. There's no guarantee that it will control everything you want and if it doesn't, you're out $100. Unless the learning feature on those remotes have a 100+ button memory limit. Do they?
post #24 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Please...
Remotes today can virtually control anything. You buy what you need that fits your needs/budget. You are happy with your choice/purchase, so enjoy and let it go.

And... you gained some knowledge about a "learning remote" and what it can do.
post #25 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the thing. There's no guarantee that it will control everything you want and if it doesn't, you're out $100. Unless the learning feature on those remotes have a 100+ button memory limit. Do they?

There is no button memory limit for a Harmony. All the commands get loaded to the online database. More than likely every single command that you need is already in the database under the device's name. There are even additional commands not found on the remote such as discrete ON and OFF commands that makes using macros (activities) foolproof. Also, no digging up the three digit codes for your devices. Not a bad deal for a $50~$60 Harmony shipped new from Amazon.com.

post #26 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

You can pick a RF10 for like $40, It can learn over 300 commands.
post #27 of 27 Old 09-15-2009, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is no button memory limit for a Harmony. All the commands get loaded to the online database. More than likely every single command that you need is already in the database under the device's name. There are even additional commands not found on the remote such as discrete ON and OFF commands that makes using macros (activities) foolproof. Also, no digging up the three digit codes for your devices. Not a bad deal for a $50~$60 Harmony shipped new from Amazon.com.

I learn something new everyday.

You see, the reason I was so worrisome about spending so much money on a remote is because of my past experience. My first remote I bought sometime in the mid-90s. I don't remember the brand, but it was great at the time. Cost about $20. It controlled my VCR, TV and Cable Box. Then overtime, when Digital Cable boxes, DVD players and Home Theater Receivers came out, problems arose. My Universal remote cannot control those. So off I was buying another Universal Remote.

The next remote I got was a Sony one. Cost me $30. What a waste that was! It controlled the DVD player, but had limited functions. It could control the digital cable box, but again, there was limited functions. It controlled the TV but again, limited functions. And guess what? The darn SONY remote wouldn't work with my SONY receiver. Weird, but true. So here I was looking for my third Universal remote. People recommended the Harmony, but I was thinking that maybe this remote might be the same experience as my first two I bought. So, that $100 Harmony remote will be a waste of good money. Little did I know how good Universal remotes really are today.

Anyways, I have my URC already, so I'm happy.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page