Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Remote Control Area > Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar Stephen Hopkins 08:07 AM 09-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

You could try this also:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102949

I'll probably end up using 3.5mm mono cables and some combination of 2.5mm-to-3.5mm adapters. I'll see what The Shack here in town has, but I'm going to have to order the emitters anyway, so it'll probably be cheaper to order the cables/adapters as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

more than likely yes it will be cheaper.

however, my experience (from what I've seen posted mostly) is that the specs on all the logitech blasters/extenders are that they are 'mono' connections. sometimes stereo cables work, sometimes mono cables work...it almost seems hit or miss.

depending on the cost difference, it might be worth paying a little bit more (I think if they charge any more than $30 they're crazy - of course I'm assuming it'll basically be just some small cables/blaster tips) just to KNOW that it will work without the hassle of testing various cable/adapter combinations

I think knowing exactly what it is will make a difference. If it's a 2 or 3 tip eye style emitter and goes for $30, I might consider it for my devices that don't have wired IR connections and experiment with cables/adapters for those with wired IR inputs. If it's a 6 eye emitter for $30 - $40, I'll jump right on it and call it a day.

Knowing exactly what it actually is and the time frame will be the determining factors... I'll probably head off to the shack and save my receipts, but if I get something working before the Logitech solution is released, that's a sale they lost for dragging their feet. I can't imagine why they wouldn't have such a product ready at launch... did they not expect that MANY of the people buying 900s would have racks and gear with wired IR capabilities?

citico's Avatar citico 08:28 AM 09-02-2009
This is the cable I wanted to post:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102950
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar Stephen Hopkins 08:41 AM 09-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

This is the cable I wanted to post:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2102950

Ya, I'll probably use something like that, or build them so I can have custom lengths (I may need to place a PE order anyway).
Wannabe Actuary's Avatar Wannabe Actuary 10:02 AM 09-02-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

I'll probably end up using 3.5mm mono cables and some combination of 2.5mm-to-3.5mm adapters. I'll see what The Shack here in town has, but I'm going to have to order the emitters anyway, so it'll probably be cheaper to order the cables/adapters as well.

I think knowing exactly what it is will make a difference. If it's a 2 or 3 tip eye style emitter and goes for $30, I might consider it for my devices that don't have wired IR connections and experiment with cables/adapters for those with wired IR inputs. If it's a 6 eye emitter for $30 - $40, I'll jump right on it and call it a day.

Knowing exactly what it actually is and the time frame will be the determining factors... I'll probably head off to the shack and save my receipts, but if I get something working before the Logitech solution is released, that's a sale they lost for dragging their feet. I can't imagine why they wouldn't have such a product ready at launch... did they not expect that MANY of the people buying 900s would have racks and gear with wired IR capabilities?

sounds like a plan...

logitech told us they hoped to have it ready for the release of the 900...
guess that didn't happen
audiomax's Avatar audiomax 11:14 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzonice View Post

This reviewer claims that he's only getting about a 20 feet range even though the manual indicates about 100 ft.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/08/31...versal-remote/

To all of those who already have the 900 - Is the RF range a problem? I will need to penetrate a standard wood construction exterior wall with 6 in studs, at a range of around 25 ft.

Hard to imagine they would downgrade the RF strength of a $400 remote compared to their other remotes.

Thanks for any info.
Wannabe Actuary's Avatar Wannabe Actuary 11:26 AM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomax View Post

To all of those who already have the 900 - Is the RF range a problem? I will need to penetrate a standard wood construction exterior wall with 6 in studs, at a range of around 25 ft.

Hard to imagine they would downgrade the RF strength of a $400 remote compared to their other remotes.

Thanks for any info.

it's a different rf protocol. I go through two sheetrock walls at about 25 feet with no issues

beyond that it can be hit or miss
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar Stephen Hopkins 11:32 AM 09-03-2009
Sorry, I can't help regarding range... I go through 1 sheetrock wall and 1 MDF cabinet at about 10'. I tried two floors directly below (about 20', through plywood decking and Berber carpet) and it worked well enough, though a few commands were missed here and there.
rehaz1's Avatar rehaz1 02:23 PM 09-03-2009
I tested my 900 and Blasters from outside, 40' away through a 8" Stucco wall and 2 interior sheet rock walls and was able to control eveyrthing without any problems
whodean's Avatar whodean 02:46 PM 09-03-2009
Could someone direct me to a cable appropriate to go from the 900's blaster's IR port to an ATON DLA6 which uses a 3.5mm mono plug?

Thanks!
Stephen Hopkins's Avatar Stephen Hopkins 03:55 PM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post

Could someone direct me to a cable appropriate to go from the 900's blaster's IR port to an ATON DLA6 which uses a 3.5mm mono plug?

Thanks!

I'm going to be trying a 2.5mm to 3.5mm mono adapter and 3.5mm mono plug... I'll report back (probably over the weekend) on how/if it works.
Wannabe Actuary's Avatar Wannabe Actuary 04:06 PM 09-03-2009
just an FYI, the newly released harmony 700 uses a different operating platform and supports sequences...be sure to sign the petition on the logitech forums to get sequences on the 900
mhdiab's Avatar mhdiab 05:25 PM 09-03-2009
WOW they really know how to tick of customers that are willing to pay more.

I am looking at IR solutions right now instead and if I find what I like then I will return the 900. It just isn't worth that much extra money if it doesn't have all other features plus some...........
Wannabe Actuary's Avatar Wannabe Actuary 07:31 PM 09-03-2009
for me, the sleep feature makes the 900 a perfect bedroom remote
granted I beta tested it and I'm not sure I would pay 400 for a bedroom remote, but I would pay 300 or so for it
it's a shame, I was told a while back that it was going to go out with an MSRP less than what it did go out with...oh well

when you say you're looking for IR solutions, I assume you mean IR extender/repeater so that you can use the One like a 900, right?

if so, send me a PM when you get a chance, I don't want to "dirty" up this thread too much, but I have an idea for you
whodean's Avatar whodean 07:36 PM 09-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins View Post

I'm going to be trying a 2.5mm to 3.5mm mono adapter and 3.5mm mono plug... I'll report back (probably over the weekend) on how/if it works.

Cool, thanks Stephen.
mcdj's Avatar mcdj 08:19 AM 09-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taank View Post

Yes, the interface is extremely sluggish compared to the One. I really hope this is fixed, because so far everything else is great. The page transition is unbearably slow for having shelled out $400. When you hit a button to switch page, the screen dims, then switches slowly, then brightens, and its done. Each step feels drawn out.

No yellow tint here though.

So far only two of us with sluggish screens? Kinda makes me wonder if I have a dud, though the slowness feels software based to me. I guess it could be a faulty processor.

Any other 900 owners who own/owned the One care to chime in before my BestBuy return period is up?
ZenithPete's Avatar ZenithPete 09:06 AM 09-04-2009
I'm pretty sure they all are more sluggish than the harmony one. I still have my one here to compare. But maybe yours is worse because it doesn't really bother me much even when scrolling through multiple pages. I think it's because Im not that used to using touchscreens yet, and by the time I'm ready to press again it's already loaded the next screen.

I think it's just the price we pay for the fancier screen transitions than the harmony one....if you could turn off the transitions maybe it would be faster.
nandopr's Avatar nandopr 12:09 PM 09-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post

Any other 900 owners who own/owned the One care to chime in before my BestBuy return period is up?

I upgraded from the "one". And yes, it is a little bit sluggish compared to the "one". I exchanged it just to have "peace of mind". The new one behaves the same.

Not really a big deal for me but if you want to be sure go to BB and exchange it.
APerfect10's Avatar APerfect10 03:48 PM 09-04-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

I know not everyone uses favorites, but now that the remote is shipping I thought I'd repost that I'm taking requests for the 900 icons. The beta sets are currently available at [removed] I'll gladly add to those any new channels.
,R

I would like to see MASN, MASN2, and MASN HD please Donation will follow...

masnsports.com

Best regards,

Derek
squareeyes's Avatar squareeyes 09:22 PM 09-04-2009
masn has been made and is now up for all remotes.
,r
joe221's Avatar joe221 10:10 PM 09-04-2009
I also want to again call attention to that vewwy wittle "click here" under squareeyes signature. He's almost at 50%, which you will understand if you "click there".
TheRatPatrol's Avatar TheRatPatrol 01:16 AM 09-05-2009
Wannabe Actuary, hows the petition going?

Quote:

it can NOT control any proprietary RF devices.

Do you think this could change in the future? Since RF remotes are already sending out an RF signal, how hard would it be for them to work with proprietary RF devices? Is it a matter a getting the correct RF frequency, could this be updated via a firmware/software update, or could they make an adapter like they did for the PS3?

Thanks
datdude's Avatar datdude 02:05 AM 09-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

The Harmony is not the limiting factor here. You need to find an IR receiver that will do what you need. Any universal IR remote will be able to control an IR receiver, but if your IR receiver is limited in its abilities then the 900 isn't going to fix it.

I'd stay away from any iMon IR solution and look into a USB-UIRT and use EventGhost or any EventGhost compatible MCE IR receiver.

Ok, so I got the 900, the USB-Uirt and instaled the driver and Eventghost.

I chose the USB-URIT device from the Logitech Remote Software interface, but I can't get it to do anything. When I set it up and it askes me for the Power settings, not options are listed. I don't have a an IR remote to control the USB-UIRT to learn IR commands, so how do I get it to do something (anything) on my PC?

Thanks
Taank's Avatar Taank 05:51 AM 09-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithPete View Post

I'm pretty sure they all are more sluggish than the harmony one. I still have my one here to compare. But maybe yours is worse because it doesn't really bother me much even when scrolling through multiple pages. I think it's because Im not that used to using touchscreens yet, and by the time I'm ready to press again it's already loaded the next screen.

I think it's just the price we pay for the fancier screen transitions than the harmony one....if you could turn off the transitions maybe it would be faster.

I think you're right about it being the price of having a fancier screen. I may be alone here, but I wish it had the old screen and faster transitions. The screen upgrade isn't that spectacular to have to sacrifice zippyness. It's like comparing Vista to XP. Vista may have some visual bells and whistles... but the slighly sluggish feeling that comes along with it makes you glady want to "downgrade" to XP and have your fast OS back.

Honestly, there is something to be said for how the old screen looks anyway. In this forum this is probably blasphemy, but I don't need buttons on my remote control to be in like HD resolution. Solid color text on solid color background button, that is easy to read, worked for me.
jalyst's Avatar jalyst 06:40 AM 09-05-2009
Quote:

for me, the sleep feature makes the 900 a perfect bedroom remote
granted I beta tested it and I'm not sure I would pay 400 for a bedroom remote, but I would pay 300 or so for it
it's a shame, I was told a while back that it was going to go out with an MSRP less than what it did go out with...oh well

when you say you're looking for IR solutions, I assume you mean IR extender/repeater so that you can use the One like a 900, right?

if so, send me a PM when you get a chance, I don't want to "dirty" up this thread too much, but I have an idea for you

Hmm this sound like a better way to go overall than the 900.
Id be interested in this too; if you got a minute feel free to PM me too!
bryansj's Avatar bryansj 07:06 AM 09-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by datdude View Post

Ok, so I got the 900, the USB-Uirt and instaled the driver and Eventghost.

I chose the USB-URIT device from the Logitech Remote Software interface, but I can't get it to do anything. When I set it up and it askes me for the Power settings, not options are listed. I don't have a an IR remote to control the USB-UIRT to learn IR commands, so how do I get it to do something (anything) on my PC?

Thanks

With Eventghost you can just pick any remote from the Logitech profile such as an early 80s model VCR. The USB-UIRT will receive the signal and Eventghost will map it to the command of your choice. Hit Power on the remote and tell Eventghost to map it as Power. You can even map Record on the remote to do Eject on the PC. I assume the USB-UIRT entry in the Logitech software is just some sort of remote with a lot of commands. When it asks for the power button just pick something and map it to power in Eventghost.
bryansj's Avatar bryansj 07:10 AM 09-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by theratpatrol View Post

Do you think this could change in the future? Since RF remotes are already sending out an RF signal, how hard would it be for them to work with proprietary RF devices? Is it a matter a getting the correct RF frequency, could this be updated via a firmware/software update, or could they make an adapter like they did for the PS3?

Thanks

This will not happen, especially with a Logitech remote. The closest you can get is using the Z-wave built into the 890 to control other Z-wave devices. When shopping for things with remote controls it is best to avoid the RF solutions if you plan on integrating them with a universal remote. My gas logs are RF controlled and I would love to have those in my 890, but it isn't going to happen.
Wannabe Actuary's Avatar Wannabe Actuary 08:05 AM 09-05-2009
Quote:

Thanks

won't happen
the licensing fees for each proprietary rf signal that they would need to get would cost too much
unless you don't mind paying 4 digits for a remote
APerfect10's Avatar APerfect10 08:51 AM 09-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

masn has been made and is now up for all remotes.
,r

Wow, you rock! I'm going to send over a donation right away.

Thanks again...

-Derek
rehaz1's Avatar rehaz1 08:55 AM 09-05-2009
Quote:

Thanks

I don't see that ever happening as each proprietary RF device operates on a different frequency, you can have 5 RF devices all the same make and model and each can only be controlled by it's own remote. If they could be controlled by the same remote, if you turned one on all of them would turn on at the same time.
TheRatPatrol's Avatar TheRatPatrol 09:28 AM 09-05-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

This will not happen, especially with a Logitech remote. The closest you can get is using the Z-wave built into the 890 to control other Z-wave devices. When shopping for things with remote controls it is best to avoid the RF solutions if you plan on integrating them with a universal remote. My gas logs are RF controlled and I would love to have those in my 890, but it isn't going to happen.

Quote:

won't happen
the licensing fees for each proprietary rf signal that they would need to get would cost too much
unless you don't mind paying 4 digits for a remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post

I don't see that ever happening as each proprietary RF device operates on a different frequency, you can have 5 RF devices all the same make and model and each can only be controlled by it's own remote. If they could be controlled by the same remote, if you turned one on all of them would turn on at the same time.

But technology wise, it could be done, right? If each device operates on its own RF frequency, could that frequency be uploaded into the remote via a software upgrade or is that more of a hardware thing?

You're right though, it probably will never happen, but this is more of a curiosity question if anything.

Thanks
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop