Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 2796 Old 09-05-2009, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

With Eventghost you can just pick any remote from the Logitech profile such as an early 80s model VCR. The USB-UIRT will receive the signal and Eventghost will map it to the command of your choice. Hit Power on the remote and tell Eventghost to map it as Power. You can even map Record on the remote to do Eject on the PC. I assume the USB-UIRT entry in the Logitech software is just some sort of remote with a lot of commands. When it asks for the power button just pick something and map it to power in Eventghost.

That's the thing though, there isn't anything to pick, it is a drop down box that only has one item in it 'no option'. In order to give it an option, I have to teach the logitech software IR commands which I can't because I never had a remote for my PC.

So I'm kind of at a loss. I am hoping someone has this sort of setup and know how to solve this. It sounds like my only option right now is to buy a MCE remote or something that will control my PC and then teach the harmony, but there's just got to be an easier way than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 2796 Old 09-05-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by datdude View Post

That's the thing though, there isn't anything to pick, it is a drop down box that only has one item in it 'no option'. In order to give it an option, I have to teach the logitech software IR commands which I can't because I never had a remote for my PC.

So I'm kind of at a loss. I am hoping someone has this sort of setup and know how to solve this. It sounds like my only option right now is to buy a MCE remote or something that will control my PC and then teach the harmony, but there's just got to be an easier way than that.

The USB-UIRT with EventGhost does not need a particular remote. ANY remote will do what you need. Just pick one that has enough buttons. You map everything in the Logitech software and then map those buttons with EventGhost. You can have Channel Up on the Harmony mapped to Play with EventGhost. It doesn't matter just as long is you keep things consistent. If you think you need an MCE remote just add one in the Harmony software and use it (Computer / Microsoft / MCE Remote). Map Play from the MCE device to Play with EventGhost...

http://www.eventghost.org/docs/contr...ost/index.html

post #393 of 2796 Old 09-05-2009, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post

Hmm this sound like a better way to go overall than the 900.
Id be interested in this too; if you got a minute feel free to PM me too!

I'd be interested too please.
post #394 of 2796 Old 09-05-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:

The USB-UIRT with EventGhost does not need a particular remote. ANY remote will do what you need. Just pick one that has enough buttons. You map everything in the Logitech software and then map those buttons with EventGhost. You can have Channel Up on the Harmony mapped to Play with EventGhost. It doesn't matter just as long is you keep things consistent. If you think you need an MCE remote just add one in the Harmony software and use it (Computer / Microsoft / MCE Remote). Map Play from the MCE device to Play with EventGhost...

http://www.eventghost.org/docs/contr...ost/index.html

bryansj,

That makes sense! I was just choosing the usb-uirt option as the device. Setting it as an MCE remote got the controls to work. Muchas Gracias.

Unfortunately, I can't get the remote to turn the PC on or off. All I need it to do is to wake it from sleep, and then put it back to sleep. I set the power command to 'Power Toggle' but that does nothing. I have to dig around some more.
post #395 of 2796 Old 09-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

as far as the 900 alternative, let's wait on the sequence petition...from what I've been told, it's making real ground with management and getting heavy consideration

otherwise, I'll report back if I've found a relaible alternative later in the week
can't say much more as of now
post #396 of 2796 Old 09-06-2009, 03:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This will not happen, especially with a Logitech remote. The closest you can get is using the Z-wave built into the 890 to control other Z-wave devices. When shopping for things with remote controls it is best to avoid the RF solutions if you plan on integrating them with a universal remote. My gas logs are RF controlled and I would love to have those in my 890, but it isn't going to happen.

Prolly best getting something that's an RF2IR transceiver as most things are still IR right?

There are more and more RF controlled devices, but there's so many specs; this is not so much of an issue with IR.

Could be talking out of my arse though...
post #397 of 2796 Old 09-06-2009, 03:11 PM

Got my new 900 from Best Buy, and it works great. Now, is there a way to add commands to the end of an activity, since that's already a sequence. For example, I'd like to add the LIST command for a DirecTV DVR at the end of the Watch TV activity.
post #398 of 2796 Old 09-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomax View Post

Now, is there a way to add commands to the end of an activity, since that's already a sequence.

Yes, you can, and adding commands to the end of an activity is, technically, not considered a sequence.

To do it, just click on the settings for the activity, then choose "Review Settings", then choose the second option, "Yes, but I want to add more control."

The first screen that appears next asks if you want to add any more devices. Add or don't add, then hit the Save button to continue.

Click past the general settings for the activity and, finally, a "Custom Actions" screen will appear, where you can add your additional commands for any of the devices.
post #399 of 2796 Old 09-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

yeah. review the settings for the activity and then you'll select the second option (yes but I want more control) and then you'll have to hit save and next a bunch of times, but eventually you'll get to a spot to be able to add commands to the start of the activity
post #400 of 2796 Old 09-06-2009, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

guess that's what happens when I get interupted mid post to walk the dogs
post #401 of 2796 Old 09-06-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

yeah. review the settings for the activity and then you'll select the second option (yes but I want more control) and then you'll have to hit save and next a bunch of times, but eventually you'll get to a spot to be able to add commands to the start of the activity

Thanks guys. Now I just need to figure how how many ways to use this.
post #402 of 2796 Old 09-07-2009, 02:03 PM

I've had almost every version of Logitech's Harmony remotes and gotta say this one is very dissapointing. I never write reviews, but had to on their website. My issues are the same as most peoples; sequences, range and software.

I'm 15' from my tv which is wall mounted. My equipment is on the other side of that wall. The remote constantly gives me errors saying it's not communicating with the rf base station and that I need to move closer. The blasters are unreliable and it misses some commands during activity startups. I'm gonna try the 3.5 to 2.5mm adapters to use my old 890 eyes. Hopefully that helps reliability.

I love the red, blue, yellow and green buttons for directv functions, and the other options the remote has such as not having to update the base station each time as well.

Overall, seems like alot of work arounds for a $400 remote.
post #403 of 2796 Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I just wanted to report that I've had success with wired-IR using 2.5mm MONO to 3.5mm MONO adapters and 3.5mm MONO cables. I'll also report that the same adapter with 3.5mm STEREO cables does not work. I've not had any luck setting up a daisy-chain with my Onkyo SR805 in the mix... I can daisy-chain Blaster-> Oppo BDP-83 -> IOGear HDMI Switch with no problems (needed stereo cable from Oppo to HDMI Switch), but adding the Onkyo anywhere into the mix just flat-out doesn't work regardless of cable type (stereo, mono, stereo w/ a mono adapter on one end) or order. The IR input works just fine on the Onkyo using a mono cable, but once I try to output to the next device, then the input stops working.

post #404 of 2796 Old 09-09-2009, 11:47 AM

Liked: 11
On a related cabling note, if you want to extend the length of one of the mini blasters, I tried the Steren 2.5mm Stereo Audio Extension Cable - Sub-mini phone Male Stereo - Sub-mini phone Female Stereo, and even though its not mono, it works great. No other adapters or cables needed. They have them in various lenghths.
post #405 of 2796 Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 PM

Can you recommend a cable to go from the 900's blaster to the 4-wire input on my ATON DLA6?
post #406 of 2796 Old 09-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Thanks for all the helpful info in this forum. I'm going to buy the 900 and am having trouble figuring out what's in the box. I've seen the 900 offered (eg bestbuy.com) with an "IR Blaster" and "2 mini-blasters" but no mention of the RF Extender. And I can't find the RF extender for the 900 available anywhere standalone.

If the blaster and the mini-blasters are in the box, is the RF extender as well?

(If you couldn't tell, I'm a novice). thanks
post #407 of 2796 Old 09-10-2009, 08:57 PM

No, there's no RF extender included. Just the remote, blaster, and 2 mini-blasters.
post #408 of 2796 Old 09-10-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by imgsl57 View Post

Thanks for all the helpful info in this forum. I'm going to buy the 900 and am having trouble figuring out what's in the box. I've seen the 900 offered (eg bestbuy.com) with an "IR Blaster" and "2 mini-blasters" but no mention of the RF Extender. And I can't find the RF extender for the 900 available anywhere standalone.

If the blaster and the mini-blasters are in the box, is the RF extender as well?

(If you couldn't tell, I'm a novice). thanks

Here's a video of whats in the box.
post #409 of 2796 Old 09-10-2009, 09:20 PM

Thanks guys. In that video, though, the RF extender was in the box. Maybe you can get it both ways?
post #410 of 2796 Old 09-10-2009, 10:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 444
Quote:

The RF extender is a feature of the blaster. You're covered.
post #411 of 2796 Old 09-11-2009, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:

Thanks guys. In that video, though, the RF extender was in the box. Maybe you can get it both ways?

The RF "extender" is now called the RF "Blaster". Same thing.

post #412 of 2796 Old 09-11-2009, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The RF "extender" is now called the RF "Blaster". Same thing.

Correct. Logitech felt that the name "RF Extender" was too confusing, since it didn't imply that the extender itself could send out IR signals (making people think that the mini stick on cables were always needed). So, they renamed it the "Blaster", but of course they fail to take into account that change is confusing and blaster doesn't imply that it's the extender
post #413 of 2796 Old 09-11-2009, 08:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

Correct. Logitech felt that the name "RF Extender" was too confusing, since it didn't imply that the extender itself could send out IR signals (making people think that the mini stick on cables were always needed). So, they renamed it the "Blaster", but of course they fail to take into account that change is confusing and blaster doesn't imply that it's the extender

Logitech never seems to make much of an effort with their user guides.
post #414 of 2796 Old 09-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Liked: 11
It takes me longer to figure out how to fold back up their quick start guides than to read them.
post #415 of 2796 Old 09-11-2009, 02:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenithPete View Post

It takes me longer to figure out how to fold back up their quick start guides than to read them.

post #416 of 2796 Old 09-13-2009, 01:12 PM

I currently have and love my Harmony One but would like to have RF too so am considering the 900. Here's my question...If I purchase a 900 can I simply convert over all my info in the database from the One to the 900 via the "replace remote" button or will I need to re-setup some of it or all of it? Someone upstream in this thread indicated he had to enter in everything all over again...I'd be reluctant to make the swich over if it involves alot of conversion work.

I get that the RF would require some additional set-up and that's fine. I just don't want to spend alot of time re-setting up what's essentially already done.

Thanks for any insight anyone might be able to offer...

clemdog
post #417 of 2796 Old 09-13-2009, 01:39 PM

You have to set up a new account for the 900.

ED
post #418 of 2796 Old 09-13-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
You have to set up a new account for the 900.

...and then what?

Thanks
post #419 of 2796 Old 09-13-2009, 02:03 PM

"Someone upstream in this thread indicated he had to enter in everything all over again...I'd be reluctant to make the swich over if it involves alot of conversion work."

But it won't be near as complicated as when you set up the "one. You have all your devices and know the settings.

ED
post #420 of 2796 Old 09-13-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Bombard View Post

...and then what?

Thanks

New is new. Like everything needs to be configured, like it's day one. It's a different engine internally, like the 1100.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page