Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2803 Old 10-31-2009, 09:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

we noted this in beta testing...particularly when scrolling through favorite channel images

So there should be an Update on this issue in the future i hope.

How does the 900 compare to the One as far as Icons and Favorite channels, I read somewhere that there's a limit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 AM

I'm reading alot of posts on other forums about the RF range problem, Here's a noob question...If i get the 900 and get similar problems with the RF can i remove them and use the remote as regular IR???

Also, Is this RF problem fixable thru a firmware update???
post #633 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 AM

HI,
I got up reallll early today and read this entire 22 page thread, but still have a few questions:
!. Does the 900 support sequences?
2. Can the RF in the 900 control my RF wireless light switch directly?
3. Can the 900 do Z-wave devices directly?
Ok, now that I have 99% of you rolling your eyes....I AM KIDDING!
Just wanted tot post a big thank you to Wannabe Actuary and all the others here as I learned quite a bit and am now off to redo a few things in my set up.
To others who are using the "ir in" on your oppo blu ray player, I do know that it requires a special cable that they will supply you for free. I am using it and it works just fine. More to come after I update my configuration.
thanks again to all who posted.
Now about those questions..... :-)
Best,
Chris
post #634 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 05:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights View Post

How does the 900 compare to the One as far as Icons and Favorite channels, I read somewhere that there's a limit?

both have a limit of 24 favorites per activity. the 900 icons (and its screen) are a higher-resolution than the One's, and in my opinion look much better.
if i do say so myself.

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #635 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

both have a limit of 24 favorites per activity. the 900 icons (and its screen) are a higher-resolution than the One's, and in my opinion look much better.
if i do say so myself.

agree with Randy 100%

it should be noted that if you want more than 24 favorite channels, just setup multiple watch tv activities...for instance, "watch tv (him)" and "watch tv (her)"
then you can have your own set of favorites and your wife can have her own set
you could make a lot, but eventually you would hit the memory limit on the remote
post #636 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm reading alot of posts on other forums about the RF range problem, Here's a noob question...If i get the 900 and get similar problems with the RF can i remove them and use the remote as regular IR???

device by device you choose if it will be controlled by the remote itself or the blaster (RF from the remote to the blaster)....so yes, you could use it as IR only if you wanted/needed
post #637 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:

To answer your question, yes
post #638 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCONKLIN1 View Post

HI,
I got up reallll early today and read this entire 22 page thread, but still have a few questions:
!. Does the 900 support sequences?
2. Can the RF in the 900 control my RF wireless light switch directly?
3. Can the 900 do Z-wave devices directly?
Ok, now that I have 99% of you rolling your eyes....I AM KIDDING!
Just wanted tot post a big thank you to Wannabe Actuary and all the others here as I learned quite a bit and am now off to redo a few things in my set up.
To others who are using the "ir in" on your oppo blu ray player, I do know that it requires a special cable that they will supply you for free. I am using it and it works just fine. More to come after I update my configuration.
thanks again to all who posted.
Now about those questions..... :-)
Best,
Chris

To answer all 3 of your questions, the answer is no. For Number 2, there is no universal remote that can control propritary RF devices, and number 3 only the 890 and 890 Pro can control Z-wave devices, and only Lighting
post #639 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehaz1 View Post

To answer all 3 of your questions, the answer is no. For Number 2, there is no universal remote that can control propritary RF devices, and number 3 only the 890 and 890 Pro can control Z-wave devices, and only Lighting

Did you miss the part where I said "I WAS KIDDING"?
Lots of good info in this thread but if I read those three questions again I was going to ask for some of my life back!
Best,
Chris
post #640 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did you miss the part where I said "I WAS KIDDING"?
Lots of good info in this thread but if I read those three questions again I was going to ask for some of my life back!
Best,
Chris

to be fair, I started drafting a response to your questions...then I got to the part about you kidding.

to be honest, a large reason why I left the logitech forums was the repetitive, simplistic questions...I put several hours into making the FAQ/Misunderstanding Sticky and tons of questions are answered there, but people just don't read it...they post the same old questions over and over
post #641 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:

to be fair, I started drafting a response to your questions...then I got to the part about you kidding.

to be honest, a large reason why I left the logitech forums was the repetitive, simplistic questions...I put several hours into making the FAQ/Misunderstanding Sticky and tons of questions are answered there, but people just don't read it...they post the same old questions over and over

and I will say you are wayyyyyy more gracious than most when you continually answered the same questions over and over again. I am now reading your posts over on the Harmony forum to see if I can tweak my set-up some more!
Thanks again for all your help and posts in this forum!
Best,
Chris
post #642 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 10:06 AM

Ok, Have my system pretty much running flawlessly now. Here is the set-up:
Port A of the extender/blaster goes to a 2.5 mm Rat shack adapter to a STEREO 3.5mm cable (yeah, I know, should not work) to the IR IN port on my Onkyo 3007 receiver. From the IR OUT on the Onkyo goes the special Oppo cable (looks like 3.5mm mono to 3.5mm stereo) to the IR IN on the Oppo Blu ray player (mono side of cable goes in the IR OUT of the Onkyo 3007) Then a dual head IR blaster is connected from the IR OUT of the Oppo to control my DirecTV and HD Tivo's. Port B is used for the included Logitech IR mini blaster to control my IR lights and aircleaner. Have tested everything and it is all working well.
To those that have the Oppo Blu ray player, a standard MONO 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable did not work with it. You must get their cable. It is free from them if you purchased an Oppo blu ray player. I just wish more components had IR in and out on them!
Thanks to all for your help!
Chris
post #643 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:

if i do say so myself.

Thanks for the reply, I would like the better resolution for sure lol.
post #644 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:

agree with Randy 100%

it should be noted that if you want more than 24 favorite channels, just setup multiple watch tv activities...for instance, "watch tv (him)" and "watch tv (her)"
then you can have your own set of favorites and your wife can have her own set
you could make a lot, but eventually you would hit the memory limit on the remote

Thanks that a great idea my wife would love that, I could make 1 for sports and 1 for the shows while the wife can add hers. Gotta add this to the To Do List when i choose lol.
post #645 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:

device by device you choose if it will be controlled by the remote itself or the blaster (RF from the remote to the blaster)....so yes, you could use it as IR only if you wanted/needed

okay cool, thats good to know just incase the RF doesn't work as it's suppose to. I think i'm going to pull the trigger and get the 900. Will let you know.

Wannabe thanks for all the replies you been alot of help, Much appreciated!!!
post #646 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok, Have my system pretty much running flawlessly now. Here is the set-up:
Port A of the extender/blaster goes to a 2.5 mm Rat shack adapter to a STEREO 3.5mm cable (yeah, I know, should not work) to the IR IN port on my Onkyo 3007 receiver. From the IR OUT on the Onkyo goes the special Oppo cable (looks like 3.5mm mono to 3.5mm stereo) to the IR IN on the Oppo Blu ray player (mono side of cable goes in the IR OUT of the Onkyo 3007) Then a dual head IR blaster is connected from the IR OUT of the Oppo to control my DirecTV and HD Tivo's. Port B is used for the included Logitech IR mini blaster to control my IR lights and aircleaner. Have tested everything and it is all working well.
To those that have the Oppo Blu ray player, a standard MONO 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable did not work with it. You must get their cable. It is free from them if you purchased an Oppo blu ray player. I just wish more components had IR in and out on them!
Thanks to all for your help!
Chris

glad you're up and running...I agree about the IR in...what bothers me is that some cable boxes (HD DVRs have it, but it's not active)...
Quote:

okay cool, thats good to know just incase the RF doesn't work as it's suppose to. I think i'm going to pull the trigger and get the 900. Will let you know.

Wannabe thanks for all the replies you been alot of help, Much appreciated!!!

glad to be able to help...and glad to be appreciated
post #647 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 11:30 AM

okay I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Harmony 900 from Amazon. I should receive it on Wednesday. Thanks to everyone who helped me decide. Can't Wait!!!

To be prepared, I was wondering about the connectors on the RF, I think there 2.5mm? and the components take 3.5mm? If i'm understanding previous posts correctly.

Here are the components i have....

Sony A/V Receiver: STR-KS360
Sony BD Player: BDP-S350
Comcast HD DVR: DCH3416
Xbox 360
Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV 46" Can't remember model

Do i need to buy any connectors or splitters or something to get the RF stuff working??? or am i good and don't need to buy anything else???
post #648 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

okay I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Harmony 900 from Amazon. I should receive it on Wednesday. Thanks to everyone who helped me decide. Can't Wait!!!

To be prepared, I was wondering about the connectors on the RF, I think there 2.5mm? and the components take 3.5mm? If i'm understanding previous posts correctly.

Here are the components i have....

Sony A/V Receiver: STR-KS360
Sony BD Player: BDP-S350
Comcast HD DVR: DCH3416
Xbox 360
Sharp Aquos LCD HDTV 46" Can't remember model

Do i need to buy any connectors or splitters or something to get the RF stuff working??? or am i good and don't need to buy anything else???

I don't think your HD DVR has an IR in, I can't find any images for your receiver, but most do have an IR in...the othre devices do NOT have an IR in...

you would only need adapters/splitters if you intend to run IR directly from the main blaster into the back of the devices...otherwise, just position the mini-blasters in front of your devices and let the mini-blasters (and main blaster) fire IR for your devices
post #649 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:

I don't think your HD DVR has an IR in, I can't find any images for your receiver, but most do have an IR in...the othre devices do NOT have an IR in...

you would only need adapters/splitters if you intend to run IR directly from the main blaster into the back of the devices...otherwise, just position the mini-blasters in front of your devices and let the mini-blasters (and main blaster) fire IR for your devices

So if i don't have RF In on any of my components, What adaptors do i need to get the the RF to work??
post #650 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

perhaps you don't understand how the RF feature of the harmony works.

if you assign a device to be controlled by RF, the remote will send all related commands to for the device via RF to the blaster, the blaster converts the signal back to IR and then the blaster itself, along with any attached mini-blasters will send out the IR to the devices. the main blaster and mini blasters get positioned in front of the devices so that the devices can see IR from them just as if the remote itself had sent IR to them.

if your devices have an IR in and you want to use them, then what you'll need is a 2.5mm to 3.5mm mono adapter...and then a 3.5 mm male to 3.5 mm male MONO cable.

here is an example of an IR in

IF, none of your devices have an IR in that you plan on using, then you do NOT need anything to get RF working. the 900 comes with the main blaster and two mini-blasters
post #651 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 01:49 PM

okay thanks. I thought i needed more accessories or something for the RF.
post #652 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

perhaps you don't understand how the RF feature of the harmony works.

if you assign a device to be controlled by RF, the remote will send all related commands to for the device via RF to the blaster, the blaster converts the signal back to IR and then the blaster itself, along with any attached mini-blasters will send out the IR to the devices. the main blaster and mini blasters get positioned in front of the devices so that the devices can see IR from them just as if the remote itself had sent IR to them.

if your devices have an IR in and you want to use them, then what you'll need is a 2.5mm to 3.5mm mono adapter...and then a 3.5 mm male to 3.5 mm male MONO cable.

here is an example of an IR in

IF, none of your devices have an IR in that you plan on using, then you do NOT need anything to get RF working. the 900 comes with the main blaster and two mini-blasters

Wow, I didn't know you could do that with the Harmony. I thought those IR inputs only worked with their own manufactures devices. Interesting.

So you're saying you need to have a cable coming out of the main blaster into the IR input, correct?

Thanks
post #653 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post

Wow, I didn't know you could do that with the Harmony. I thought those IR inputs only worked with their own manufactures devices. Interesting.

So you're saying you need to have a cable coming out of the main blaster into the IR input, correct?

Thanks

generally yes...someone was saying (not sure if it was here or the 1100 thread) that the Oppo BR player appears to have a standard IR in, but requires the cord FROM Oppo to work (free, but you have to get it from them)....

make sure that any size adapters and cables you use are MONO connections/cables...stereo connections/cables will not work

make sure the ports are active on the devices too...I've seen some HD DVR cable boxes that have the ports, but are not active (reserved for future updates)
post #654 of 2803 Old 11-01-2009, 07:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post

Thanks

That's exactly what he wrote.
post #655 of 2803 Old 11-02-2009, 06:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

i'm updating the site in the next day or two to host the new 900 favorite icons database.
i can tell you already that the screen resolution on the new 900 is much improved and the new icons look fantastic (imho). i've been using the beta product for awhile and the resolution combined with the nice animated screen transitions make for a very sharp user experience.

pardon my ignorance, but what are these icons used for?

Mancave: UN46D7000, Onkyo 818, Mirage OMD-C1, OMD-5 (2), HSU STF-2, PS3, XBox360, Wii, DirecTV, AppleTV v2

Den: LG 55LX9500, Onkyo 709, Polk RC85i (3), Polk PSW10, DirecTV, AppleTV v3

post #656 of 2803 Old 11-02-2009, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LansdaleHokie View Post

pardon my ignorance, but what are these icons used for?

They are for favorite channels on the Watch TV activity or Listen to Music activity (digital cable or satellite channels).

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming! But I built a shed!
post #657 of 2803 Old 11-02-2009, 07:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 472
I've been testing my nephew's new 900 installation, and I've run into this problem.

When the 900's OFF button is used and the system is left in that state, the next day there is a glitch when an activity is selected for the first time. This has happened in a similar way the last three times I've gone to his house and used the Watch TV activity first. Today the TV and the cable box didn't come on, but the AV/R did. The previous time the TV came on, but the cable box and the A/VR didn't.

Today when I pressed Help the TV came on, but I had to go deeper into Help to turn on the cable box.

After the initial power on is completed, I can power OFF and ON in any combination of activities with no problems. When I go back tomorrow I expect to need to use Help for the first power on attempt.

The Motorola DCH3416 is a model that sometimes misses commands from it's own remote, but this one doesn't seem to be doing that.

I'm the only one using the this equipment because the house is still being remodeled.

Is there such a thing as the remote needing to warm up? That doesn't seem likely to me.
post #658 of 2803 Old 11-03-2009, 04:27 AM
Advanced Member

this is new behavior, the only thing like this is that after an update the remote doesn't send commands for the first activity you start
post #659 of 2803 Old 11-03-2009, 05:42 AM
TJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits View Post

I've been testing my nephew's new 900 installation, and I've run into this problem.

When the 900's OFF button is used and the system is left in that state, the next day there is a glitch when an activity is selected for the first time. This has happened in a similar way the last three times I've gone to his house and used the Watch TV activity first. Today the TV and the cable box didn't come on, but the AV/R did. The previous time the TV came on, but the cable box and the A/VR didn't.

Today when I pressed Help the TV came on, but I had to go deeper into Help to turn on the cable box.

After the initial power on is completed, I can power OFF and ON in any combination of activities with no problems. When I go back tomorrow I expect to need to use Help for the first power on attempt.

The Motorola DCH3416 is a model that sometimes misses commands from it's own remote, but this one doesn't seem to be doing that.

I'm the only one using the this equipment because the house is still being remodeled.

Is there such a thing as the remote needing to warm up? That doesn't seem likely to me.

I have the DCH3416 and i had some issues if I recorded a show so I could go to bed. Get up in the morning and try to power up but the DCH3416 would actually power off - it did not sut off the night before because it was recording. The DCH3416 does not have descrete power so the work around is to have the harmony leave the box on all the time.

Usually if i have a problem it is because i have let the system get out of sync - descrete codes for power are the best but if the equipment doesnt have the option then you need a work-a-round.

Radio Shack Catalogue Archive 1939-2005

Does your system seem to have a mind of its own?
Turn HDMI Control OFF!!!
post #660 of 2803 Old 11-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

your box has to stay on to record? I thought most boxes were like th scientific Atlanta box that allowed it to be turned off when recording and didn't need to turn itself on when a recording starts
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page