1Likes

post #721 of 2811 Old 11-17-2009, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

you could try to use both the original remotes and learn them in raw format as one new command and then assign the new command to the button...but results will likely be mixed at best

Can someone that owns both confirm this please. If it works I am in the market for a Harmony One now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2811 Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
i own both and can only confirm that has worked with my old harmony one. i have not tried to learn in raw format with my newer 900.
,r

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmithline View Post

Can someone that owns both confirm this please. If it works I am in the market for a Harmony One now.

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #723 of 2811 Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member

No offence but IMO CNET has been rat-**** for years....
Can't remember the last time I saw a top-quality review from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltzonice View Post

The Harmony 900 is number 5 in the CNET Top Five - Best products of the Fall.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/best-products...CarouselArea.1

post #724 of 2811 Old 11-18-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmithline View Post

I can confirm FIRST HAND that the 900 RAW learning is crippled, to say the least. I've spend hours trying to get the 900 to learn a series of between 2 and 4 Fast Forwards on my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box. Does not work.

I've further tried the method using both my 880. The 900 didn't even recognize the IR output from the 880 (weak signal , yada yada). Philips Pronto was recognized, but again the 900 only executed the first button press in pseudo-sequence.

From what I have read from some "insiders" and observed with this remote, it is either intentionally crippled to make room for a more expense "pro" model or it has a serious hardware design flaw. Either way, doesn't quite matter.

PS - CNET review is absolute rubbish.
post #725 of 2811 Old 11-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

You've seen/heard talk of a "Pro" version? Where?!?
Please let it be true, and please bring back "REAL" macro programmability!
Preferably even better than predecessors, as it was never that great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtreidesModi View Post

I can confirm FIRST HAND that the 900 RAW learning is crippled, to say the least. I've spend hours trying to get the 900 to learn a series of between 2 and 4 Fast Forwards on my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD box. Does not work.

I've further tried the method using both my 880. The 900 didn't even recognize the IR output from the 880 (weak signal , yada yada). Philips Pronto was recognized, but again the 900 only executed the first button press in pseudo-sequence.

From what I have read from some "insiders" and observed with this remote, it is either intentionally crippled to make room for a more expense "pro" model or it has a serious hardware design flaw. Either way, doesn't quite matter.

PS - CNET review is absolute rubbish.

post #726 of 2811 Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

everything I have ever heard from my contacts has been that there will not be "pro" versions of remotes again

this stems from the reason for having them in he first place (the introduction of sound and picture buttons as a workaround for a problem with the 800 series) has LONG been corrected
post #727 of 2811 Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for clarifying WA.
Nothing to see here, moving along to a URC, Pronto, or Nevo
post #728 of 2811 Old 11-18-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

If you ever have to press more than 2 or 3 buttons to do something, that's a great application for a sequence. Personally I have several for things like commercial skips, toggling captions, changing resolution or aspect ratio, parental controls, favorite channels (not needed on the 900), ....

Whoa...stop right there. Did I miss something? Can the 900 somehow do favorite channels without sequencing or do you just not need them? Favorite channels are the main reason I wanted sequencing on my remote. How else do I assign my favorite channels to the soft buttons with Squareeyes pretty icons?

Did I miss something here?
post #729 of 2811 Old 11-18-2009, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

that post wasn't clear, some lower end harmony remotes do not have a built in favorite channel feature and thus you can use sequences to create pseudo favorite channels
the 900 natively supports favorite channels, and thus doesn't require sequences for THAT purpose
post #730 of 2811 Old 11-18-2009, 01:51 PM

Liked: 11
Just bought one thru Amazon -- the lowest price I've seen there. I will need RF when my new TV console (with wooden doors) arrive in a couple of weeks. I currently have a Harmony 670 (bought from Costco for $50 last year). Hopefully it's not much more complicated than setting that one up.
post #731 of 2811 Old 11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

nope, basically the same on the computer
the 900 rf setup is completely in the remote itself
just an FYI in case you missed it earlier in the thread, you'll need to setup a new account for the 900
post #732 of 2811 Old 11-23-2009, 06:53 AM

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if a Harmony 900, bought in the US, will work in Europe? The price difference is huge!

1. Can anyone in the US owning a Harmony 900 check if the AC adaptor is capable of an input of 100~230 volt?

2. Is the RF signal it sends out the same as the one sold in Europe?

Thanks for any info in advance!

Regards,

Kees.
post #733 of 2811 Old 11-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesvanbemmel View Post

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me if a Harmony 900, bought in the US, will work in Europe? The price difference is huge!

1. Can anyone in the US owning a Harmony 900 check if the AC adaptor is capable of an input of 100~230 volt?

2. Is the RF signal it sends out the same as the one sold in Europe?

Thanks for any info in advance!

Regards,

Kees.

it will work, you'll just need the outlet adapter...
the same 900 we used in the beta testing was sent to those in the US, europe, australia, etc...

the RF is the same...it uses the ECnet RF protocol, which allows them to use it in places like Australia, where previously the RF protocol from the 890, 1000, and 1100 were not allowed...leading to the 1000i and 1100i being sold in Australia. The 1000i and 1100i are IR only versions of the 1000 and 1100. As the 880 is an IR only version of the 890, no special new model was needed in that case.
post #734 of 2811 Old 11-24-2009, 03:02 AM

Thanks for the info!

Is there a pdf of the user guide/manual available somewhere?
post #735 of 2811 Old 11-24-2009, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by keesvanbemmel View Post

Thanks for the info!

Is there a pdf of the user guide/manual available somewhere?

Sure, here or visit Logitech for more infor.
post #736 of 2811 Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

it will work, you'll just need the outlet adapter...
the same 900 we used in the beta testing was sent to those in the US, europe, australia, etc...

the RF is the same....

Bought my Harmony 900 in the States for obvious reasons. It works fine, but 2-3 times over the last month it would drop connectivity with the blaster. and would not reconnect until after fully discharged. so i wrote to logitech and here is what I got. thoughts?

"Thank you for your recent inquiry about your Harmony Remote. I understand your issue. This is most likely not an issue with your Remote at all. This version of the remote was designed for use in the US/Canada. The Remote operates with a 2.4 GHz RF signal to the Blaster. If there are any items in your home or nearby on the same frequency you will get this type of issue. Items could be Wireless Telephones, Baby Monitors, Wireless Internet etc. European Products conform to a slightly RF different standard which this product was not designed to be interfaced with. A European version of the 900 is available and can be identified by having the red,green,blue and yellow Hard Buttons directly on the Remote"
post #737 of 2811 Old 11-26-2009, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsik View Post

Bought my Harmony 900 in the States for obvious reasons. It works fine, but 2-3 times over the last month it would drop connectivity with the blaster. and would not reconnect until after fully discharged. so i wrote to logitech and here is what I got. thoughts?

"Thank you for your recent inquiry about your Harmony Remote. I understand your issue. This is most likely not an issue with your Remote at all. This version of the remote was designed for use in the US/Canada. The Remote operates with a 2.4 GHz RF signal to the Blaster. If there are any items in your home or nearby on the same frequency you will get this type of issue. Items could be Wireless Telephones, Baby Monitors, Wireless Internet etc. European Products conform to a slightly RF different standard which this product was not designed to be interfaced with. A European version of the 900 is available and can be identified by having the red,green,blue and yellow Hard Buttons directly on the Remote"

That last statement is not true, as I was also a beta tester for the 900 and the 900 is the same for all regions US, Europe, and Australia they all have the colored buttons on the remote
post #738 of 2811 Old 11-27-2009, 08:04 AM

For any fellow Canadians, the logitech H900 is currently on sell at Best Buy at 399.99 instead of 499.99. The sale is running until December 3rd 2009. I asked for cash for Christmas and Birthday(Boxing day) so I could purchase it; I guess Christmas is coming early this year.

Wannabe Actuary: Thanks for all you input on this remote.
post #739 of 2811 Old 11-27-2009, 08:29 AM

My Harmony 900 won't work with my X-box 360.... Anyone else have any issues with this? If not, did you do anything unique to make it work?
post #740 of 2811 Old 11-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadowsk2 View Post

My Harmony 900 won't work with my X-box 360.... Anyone else have any issues with this? If not, did you do anything unique to make it work?

the ir receiver on my xbox (and others, from what i've read) isn't as responsive as my other components. with my old harmony one i had to point the remote directly at the 360 unit and even then it was a challenge.
it's much more responsive now with my 900 using a dedicated miniblaster just under the ir receiver window. it took a little trial and error to get the position right and even still it will miss a command every once and awhile.
i believe it's more a 360 issue then a remote issue.

post #741 of 2811 Old 11-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

make sure that you're setting in the xbox 360 dashboard is set to accept IR signals from other remotes
post #742 of 2811 Old 11-29-2009, 09:38 AM

I went into my Xbox 360 dashboard and the only two options were to accept commands from the controllers or from the 360 remote?? Nothing there about IR signals from other remotes???
post #743 of 2811 Old 11-29-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtreidesModi View Post

I can also confirm that the RAW mode is useless for duplicate commands.

I need to record a sequence that goes to a menu, presses down arrow twice and then enter. No matter what I try, 2 presses of the same key causes RAW mode to fail.

The same set of commands learns perfectly on my Harmony One, both as a sequence and in RAW mode. I even tried to use the sequence from the One as learned input for the 900 RAW mode. Again, it failed.

I asked Logitech to manually join them together for me. This was their response:

Quote:

Logitech has made the decision not to offer sequences on the H900 remote. The company has decided that the focus for the H900 will be core Harmony features as well as a rich, fast loading LCD user interface. Unfortunately, we can not join the RAW commands to make a sequence out of it.

post #744 of 2811 Old 11-29-2009, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

I'm with squareeyes as the issue is the 360. My workaround (I have a One, no RF) is to set the 360 to always be on. I set the up/down rocker to be my on/off switch. The benefit is you can leave the Xbox on and check a TV thing like a score, and then go back to the Xbox and frag some more. The rest of the commands work well enough that a hit or miss doesn't really matter as much as it being in the wrong state. The only thing is remember to turn it off when you actually want to leave.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #745 of 2811 Old 11-29-2009, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcr View Post

I can also confirm that the RAW mode is useless for duplicate commands.

I need to record a sequence that goes to a menu, presses down arrow twice and then enter. No matter what I try, 2 presses of the same key causes RAW mode to fail.

The same set of commands learns perfectly on my Harmony One, both as a sequence and in RAW mode. I even tried to use the sequence from the One as learned input for the 900 RAW mode. Again, it failed.

I asked Logitech to manually join them together for me. This was their response:

I guess that I have been very lucky learning raw commands, I was able to learn, Menu, Direction Down, Direction Down, Direction Down, Select as one new command, I tried to learn a second Select command to the five to get me to My To Do List, but did not have any luck, so I just have to press the new command assigned to the LCD screen and then press Select. This works 5 times faster that a Sequence using my Harmony One, for my To Do List.
post #746 of 2811 Old 11-30-2009, 04:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I went into my Xbox 360 dashboard and the only two options were to accept commands from the controllers or from the 360 remote?? Nothing there about IR signals from other remotes???

this might not actually be your issue, but it is an issue for some. for some reason some xbox 360s were shipped without the setting to allow any remotes to control them (only their controllers). I thought that might have been your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 View Post

I'm with squareeyes as the issue is the 360. My workaround (I have a One, no RF) is to set the 360 to always be on. I set the up/down rocker to be my on/off switch. The benefit is you can leave the Xbox on and check a TV thing like a score, and then go back to the Xbox and frag some more. The rest of the commands work well enough that a hit or miss doesn't really matter as much as it being in the wrong state. The only thing is remember to turn it off when you actually want to leave.

prior to using the 1100 and extender for my setup with the 360, I noticed that if my 360 was on the bottom shelf of my setup, control was hit or miss. I moved it up a shelf and it was fine. So I would agree that the IR receiver on the units are perhaps more finicky than other devices
post #747 of 2811 Old 11-30-2009, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 196
If you remove the faceplate of the 360 you'll see that the IR signal has to travel through a long cylindrical shape (like a poor man's fiber optic cable). It is very prone to misalignment errors. A properly placed stick-on emitter is the best bet. Another option is to make sure the blaster is in-line with the 360 IR receiver. A third option may be to remove the 360 faceplate.

post #748 of 2811 Old 11-30-2009, 02:33 PM

Liked: 13
Regarding the 900 and the SA 8300HDC. Good match yes or no. I read something here about a problem with the ffwd button. Will I be able to use all the DVR functions with this remote?

Dedicated theater

JVC RS46U

Lumagen XE3D

115"d 16:9 DIY AT Seymour XD screen with DIY masking

Marantz SR7008

Oppo BDP103

Darbee Darblet

Klipsch RF7II mains

Klipsch RC64II center

PSA XS15 Sub

Roku3

Harmony 900

post #749 of 2811 Old 11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

i haven't had a problem with it. my ff button works fine. as with other harmony remotes i've used, the 900 isn't as responsive as the sa oem remote. i've tweaked my delay and repeat settings to speed it up to an acceptable level.
and all other functions work the same as the oem remote. i've mapped the colored a, b, and c buttons to the corresponding hard color button on the 900. it's very convenient.

post #750 of 2811 Old 11-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

i haven't had a problem with it. my ff button works fine. as with other harmony remotes i've used, the 900 isn't as responsive as the sa oem remote. i've tweaked my delay and repeat settings to speed it up to an acceptable level.
and all other functions work the same as the oem remote. i've mapped the colored a, b, and c buttons to the corresponding hard color button on the 900. it's very convenient.

same here...although mine is the 8300HD (not the 8300HDC - I believe the difference being no cable card slot)...
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page