AVS Forum banner

Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread

466K views 3K replies 453 participants last post by  mogrub 
#1 ·
#52 ·
Yup, the lack of Sequences is quite puzzling. I use them as short macros for the computer, Minimize Window, Close Window, Shutdown Menu, and on and on. I can just tell my family where I have mapped [Alt], [Space], [Tab], and all the letter keys so THEY can memorize the jumble of keystrokes needed to run the computer.

Or...

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbread57 /forum/post/16983897

Too bad about the sequences, I use them with my One as a macro to navigate my tv's menu to switch from Just Scan to 16:9 and back (soft buttons for both).

Do the master/mini blasters plug in to an outlet or are they battery powered?

the mini blasters connect by a 2.5mm cable into the back of the main blaster

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoloQuest /forum/post/16984019

Yup, the lack of Sequences is quite puzzling. I use them as short macros for the computer, Minimize Window, Close Window, Shutdown Menu, and on and on. I can just tell my family where I have mapped [Alt], [Space], [Tab], and all the letter keys so THEY can memorize the jumble of keystrokes needed to run the computer.

Or...

trust me...just like the 1100 beta test...this immediately got brought up...thread was immediately locked so it didn't turn into a 'flame fest'...even though I don't use sequences...I see the need for them and argued that it needs to be included...I just don't see logitech adding them back in

#55 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/16982005

it in fact does not support sequences; supposedly because they based it off the 1100 platform, which doesn't support them

This is truly the worst news about a remote I was really looking forward to...

I have the Harmony One now and love the form factor, and was looking forward to moving the RGBY functions from soft-keys to the new hard-keys, but the lack of sequences has me now waiting for the Acoustic Research xSight Touch. Hopefully one day AR will decide to release it here ...

#56 ·
gang,

iconharmony has been updated to include the new 900 favorites.

the higher-resolution screen on the remote allows for much more detail and legibility in the icons.

#58 ·
this remote is easily two times the cost it should be. Seems to be a logitech thing lately to have unreal msrp's on everything. Their gaming keyboards are the same way now too. Example, I paid 50 bucks for a G15 keyboard, regular price a couple of years ago. This keyboard has a built in LCD. That same keyboard now, doesn't come with the screen anymore, and sells for 90 bucks. Identical keyboard but with no lcd, G11. I'm in Canada btw. Their new G19, well over 200 bucks Canadian.....crazy. I used to swear by logitech, but the prices and reliablilty is becoming bothersome.

This remote is not worth 499 bucks. Maybe worth 200 imho. It's very nice, but not that nice.

#59 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 /forum/post/16985008

this remote is easily two times the cost it should be. Seems to be a logitech thing lately to have unreal msrp's on everything. Their gaming keyboards are the same way now too. Example, I paid 50 bucks for a G15 keyboard, regular price a couple of years ago. This keyboard has a built in LCD. That same keyboard now, doesn't come with the screen anymore, and sells for 90 bucks. Identical keyboard but with no lcd, G11. I'm in Canada btw. Their new G19, well over 200 bucks Canadian.....crazy. I used to swear by logitech, but the prices and reliablilty is becoming bothersome.

This remote is not worth 499 bucks. Maybe worth 200 imho. It's very nice, but not that nice.

doubt you'll find it for 200 anytime soon, unless you have a coupon for half off somewhere...

but at the same point, the MSRP isn't what you pay in most cases...for instance, the One has an MSRP of 250, but you can find it from 180-200 no problem.

what a remote is worth to YOU what logitech should charge. I expect you'll see it more in the $350 range in a month or so and eventually in the $330 area

#60 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes /forum/post/16984844

gang,

iconharmony has been updated to include the new 900 favorites.

the higher-resolution screen on the remote allows for much more detail and legibility in the icons.

OMG, if they translate to the 900 as good as they look online...OMG!

What One?

#61 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 /forum/post/16985052

What One?

I have to commend randy on his hard work on these...he generated 3 samples for us during the beta test...there wasn't any real agreement on which design we liked best...he then created a 4th design for himself (initially) and everyone fell in love with it...he ended up making that the final design...

it's hard enough to keep up with all the icon requests, but consider the work/design process when creating a new icon design to match the theme(s) of the new remotes...

#62 ·
they do look sharp on the remote screen, albeit smaller. do keep in mind i made these to be double the logitech-recommended resolution so they do appear biggish on the web page (like i do with most of my icons to push as much detail into them as possible). they do still retain much of their clarity when on the remote though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe221 /forum/post/16985052

What One?

#64 ·
I'm so disappointed that you can't create sequences. Its a puzzling exclusion for a remote that would seem to be an upgrade path for current Harmony One owners. Its also disappointing that you cannot sync more than one 900 to a single RF hub. I suppose if the blaster is strong enough, you could just stack the multiple RF hubs to hit your components. Since this product took so long to arrive, I went ahead and installed a hard wired IR distribution system. Even though I didn't need RF anymore, I was still going to get a couple of these remotes for the higher res screen and the color action buttons ... but without sequences, I sadly have to pass.

#66 ·
sequences are essentially a must for two types of users from what I can tell

1. those with IR controllable lighting

2. those who frrequently use closed captions or 'teletext' (something in Europe)

I've found that generally other than that, it's a rare need for sequences

sure, I turn game mode on and off for my 360 activity...but it's just as easy (and even more automated) to include it as additional commands for when the activity starts (turning it on) and ends (turning it back off). All remotes can add actions to the start/end of an activity.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edpowers /forum/post/16986754

I'm so disappointed that you can't create sequences. Its a puzzling exclusion for a remote that would seem to be an upgrade path for current Harmony One owners. Its also disappointing that you cannot sync more than one 900 to a single RF hub. I suppose if the blaster is strong enough, you could just stack the multiple RF hubs to hit your components. Since this product took so long to arrive, I went ahead and installed a hard wired IR distribution system. Even though I didn't need RF anymore, I was still going to get a couple of these remotes for the higher res screen and the color action buttons ... but without sequences, I sadly have to pass.

i share your frustration about sequences. i can't fathom why they would remove a robust feature like that from the 900 and 1100. as wanna has posted i have worked around many of my old sequence commands with 'startup sequences' or commands tacked onto the activitiies' startup commands.

regarding the ir blasters, they are suprisingly powerful. i have one miniblaster subtly placed on the shelf at the foot of my blu-ray player with my dvr stacked atop that. the one miniblaster is powerful enough to control both with ease.

i reserved one for placement just below my xbox360's ir window and now, finally, have complete control of that device too.

#68 ·
you got it.

hope all's well with you too.

,r

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadYOacTve /forum/post/16986794

That's cold! Icons are ready but no remotes!

Seriously, thanks again Randy for the icons.

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/16986795

sequences are essentially a must for two types of users from what I can tell

1. those with IR controllable lighting

2. those who frrequently use closed captions or 'teletext' (something in Europe)

I've found that generally other than that, it's a rare need for sequences

sure, I turn game mode on and off for my 360 activity...but it's just as easy (and even more automated) to include it as additional commands for when the activity starts (turning it on) and ends (turning it back off). All remotes can add actions to the start/end of an activity.

I'll add a third:

3. Those who own devices which lack discrete codes for certain functions. Especially functions that are used multiple times during the same Activity.

Just one example, My Pioneer Kuros lack discrete codes for Aspect Ratio. So if I want to toggle between 'Dot by Dot' mode for 16:9 HD programming and 'Stretch' mode for 4:3 upconverted SD programming (SD on an HD channel). With my Harmony One sequence, I can create soft buttons called 'Stretch' and 'Unstretch'. This eliminates all confusion with the rest of the family (which is the main reason I pay for these remotes).

The sad fact is that Harmony has removed functionality that has been available for at least 15 years on $20 radio shack remotes (even without JP1). In my opinion, that's unacceptable for a $400 remote in 2009.

#71 ·
I guess now it makes sense why they would not support "soft key" icons for the RGBY buttons with the 900 having assigned hard keys for those functions.

While I do not have a need (currently) for the RF and "blaster" functionality, being able to do that at some point is attractive.

But, the loss of sequences is an absolute deal breaker as I have gotten so spoiled by this on the H1 with the ability to switch multiple device settings with one key is too much to give up.....

And, keeping Randy from offering us cool activity icons is just shear torture

Okay, I'm going back to the H1 thread now....

#73 ·
Sorry, my reference was in regards to the H1. While some devices (like DTV STBs, for example) allowed colored icons for these buttons, could not find a way to do this for a Oppo BDP-83.... (And, maybe there is a way but I got used to "Blue" for the name of the soft key...).

#76 ·
Is there any explanation about *why* they removed the sequence support?

This seems even more assinine than when they made it impossible for the "Green" button on my remote to work as the Windows Media Center green button (you know, the selling feature for that remote)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.