Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by timevacuum View Post

Huh?

the 890 (which the 900 essentially replaces) had z-wave lights (dimmers/switches) support...it didn't support z-wave thermostats...I was just being thorough in my answer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2799 Old 08-12-2009, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

My Harmony 1000 and RF extender must be in the same room to work properly. On the other side of a metal stuf double 5/8 drywall theater wall results are intermittent.

Do we expect the 990 RF to be better? Does it use the same technology.
post #93 of 2799 Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

it does not use the same technology
old extender was in the 900mhz range
the new stuff is ECNet protocol, which I think is 2.4ghz
post #94 of 2799 Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary View Post

sequences are essentially a must for two types of users from what I can tell
1. those with IR controllable lighting
2. those who frrequently use closed captions or 'teletext' (something in Europe)

I've found that generally other than that, it's a rare need for sequences

sure, I turn game mode on and off for my 360 activity...but it's just as easy (and even more automated) to include it as additional commands for when the activity starts (turning it on) and ends (turning it back off). All remotes can add actions to the start/end of an activity.

As a DIRECTV customer I have several sequences to automate feature activation on the DIRECTV DVR. For example, to get to the To Do List: [MENU] [DOWN] [DOWN] [DOWN] [SELECT].

I also created two sequences to simulate the TiVo Style Guide on the DIRECTV DVR, where I could bring up all upcoming programs on a channel and than hit my sequence key to have it go to the next channel and display all upcoming programs on that channel: Sequence A, Activate List Guide: [left] [INFO] [SELECT]; Sequence B, Get Next channel: [BACK] [DOWN] [INFO] [SELECT].

Finally, I have sequences for Closed Ccaptioning (as noted, it's common: [YELLOW] [DOWN] [SELECT]) and for fast access for changing the favorite lists in the GUIDE ([YELLOW] [CH DN] [SELECT]) and for getting to setup ([MENU] [PG DN] [DOWN] [DOWN] [SELECT]) and restarting the DVR ([PG DN] [UP] [SELECT] [SELECT] [-]).

So these are just mine, but talk to some DIRECTV users at sister-site DBSTalk and you'll find we do use sequences quite often.

Long time member of sister site DBSTalk
post #95 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Wannabe - thanks for the RF info - good news.

My choice now becomes the 900 and live without sequences; or the new Crestron Prodigy for double the cost plus programming, but with much greater flexibility and I suspect even better RF.
post #96 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone heard if this is coming to Australasia?
Nothing's on the regional Logitech site

We always get screwed like this....
post #97 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

we had beta testers there
also, because of the change to the ecnet protocol, the 900 WILL be allowed there, unlike the 890...and there won't be need for an "i" model like the 1000i or 1100i
post #98 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 11:52 AM

I own an H1 now, and although I don't have any real need for RF right now, I can certainly see the need arising in the future.

Without sequences, the 900 won't even be a consideration when I need to replace my H1.

Logitech had better have a hell of a list of reasons to get rid of sequences...
post #99 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymaticRacer View Post

I own an H1 now, and although I don't have any real need for RF right now, I can certainly see the need arising in the future.

Without sequences, the 900 won't even be a consideration when I need to replace my H1.

Logitech had better have a hell of a list of reasons to get rid of sequences...

My best guess (which doesn't amount to much probably) is that since they have access to all of our accounts that they know how much (or how little) a feature is being used. Sequences are probably one of the least used features. I only have one right now and I could live without it, but most folks don't even know sequences exist. It isn't a selling point either. They would rather flaunt slide shows!

Mike

Where am I with my HT build?

Still Dreaming!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #100 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

it's not due to usage stats
post #101 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

My best guess (which doesn't amount to much probably) is that since they have access to all of our accounts that they know how much (or how little) a feature is being used. Sequences are probably one of the least used features. I only have one right now and I could live without it, but most folks don't even know sequences exist. It isn't a selling point either. They would rather flaunt slide shows!

Sequences are nothing but a few extra lines of code... which they already have written..

it would take exactly ZERO effort for them to give the 900 sequence capabilities.

Logitech is going backwards as far as "customizability" goes from what I am seeing, and that is only going to drive more and more customers away...
post #102 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post

But if including sequences doesn't cost them anything more (how could it since it was already in the ONE), why would they exclude that feature? The only guess I can make is they needed the sequencing programming space for some of the new features (sleep timer, programming of the RF extenders, etc).
post #103 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymaticRacer View Post

Sequences are nothing but a few extra lines of code... which they already have written..

it would take exactly ZERO effort for them to give the 900 sequence capabilities.

Logitech is going backwards as far as "customizability" goes from what I am seeing, and that is only going to drive more and more customers away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

But if including sequences doesn't cost them anything more (how could it since it was already in the ONE), why would they exclude that feature? The only guess I can make is they needed the sequencing programming space for some of the new features (sleep timer, programming of the RF extenders, etc).

you're both making assumptions about an environment (their programming) that you know very little about....all I will do is point to the 1000 as an example and remind you that the 1100 was an update/new version of the 1000...and the 900 was built off the same platform as the 1100....and leave it at that.
post #104 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:

you're both making assumptions about an environment (their programming) that you know very little about....all I will do is point to the 1000 as an example and remind you that the 1100 was an update/new version of the 1000...and the 900 was built off the same platform as the 1100....and leave it at that.

Fair enough.

I'm still going to call it lazy though. May not be the programmers fault... could easily be an executive decision.

I will make the counter point though that just because they have done this before, doesn't mean that it is ok this time. IMO it was wrong to do it in both instances.
post #105 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder View Post

Not sure about that theory. The 900 must already have sequences internally programmed since switching to an activity is basically a sequence that gets run (turn on tv/receiver->switch receiver to hdmi 1->etc). I have been very impressed with the quality of the software for the H1 and expected sequenced to be supported and was delighted to see they were. I must admit, at its current price, the 900 is not on my to buy list but when the price drops I WILL want it because of RF but will have a small grudge with it for not supporting sequences. Companies shouldn't suppress software that customers want (ie. verizon/apple/logitech?)
post #106 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I hope this doesn't mean it's not possible to upgrade a One account to a 900 account, like the 1100.
post #107 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorenod View Post

I hope this doesn't mean it's not possible to upgrade a One account to a 900 account, like the 1100.

just like the 1100, the 900 requires a new account/setup
post #108 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 01:44 PM

fail
post #109 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

I don't believe it, in just 2 days exciting news have turned into a non-event.

RF, colour buttons and a better display are desirable, but there's no way I would start from scratch again, might as well look for other remotes if one of the main advantages of the Harmony range dissapears.
post #110 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

honestly, you have your existing remote as a guide
when I had to do this for both the 1100 and 900 beta tests, I was upset, but you reach a point where you can have it set up in almost no time at all

I also got my hands on the One slightly early (not a beta test) and when I upgraded from an 880 to the One it really didn't save much time for me vs when I setup the 1100 from scratch
post #111 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just did 3 of my four Windows 7 conversions. Two "bare metal" and one Fusion on my Mac. I still have to "bare metal" the PC I'm typing on now. I don't want to hear about setting up a friggin' remote! That's a walk in the park. My main PC is going to be a weekend project. Going from my 880 to the One was mostly a redo with a few things already set up. If you're in this forum, you know what you're doing and just get on with it.
If seeing squareeyes' icons if "Full HD" isn't enough motivation, hell.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #112 of 2799 Old 08-13-2009, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

IMO, this is the kind of conformism that will allow Logitech to get away with lack of sequences and upgrades.

I upgraded too from a 885 to the One, and I don't remember any special problems, only remapping buttons in the activities.

Don't ge me wrong, I love the Harmony concept, but that doesn't mean I have to swallow everything they do. However, there're are no other alternatives in this price range with a feature similar to Smart State, so sooner or later I'll have to swallow my own words.
post #113 of 2799 Old 08-14-2009, 05:46 AM

I have a Xantech IR repeater system in my theater. Does anyone know if I can connect the 900's docking station directly into the IR hub like I have done with previous RF remotes? I know that the base station uses 2.5mm plugs so I would have to adapt to a 3.5mm connector (or actually use bare leads into the screw terminals on my IR hub). Is the IR output standard to work with repeater systems?
post #114 of 2799 Old 08-14-2009, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indecision View Post

I have a Xantech IR repeater system in my theater. Does anyone know if I can connect the 900's docking station directly into the IR hub like I have done with previous RF remotes? I know that the base station uses 2.5mm plugs so I would have to adapt to a 3.5mm connector (or actually use bare leads into the screw terminals on my IR hub). Is the IR output standard to work with repeater systems?

as far as I know the output is just regular IR...just keep in mind that the blaster plugs are not just 2.5mm...but 2.5mm mono connections
post #115 of 2799 Old 08-14-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:

I am not making assumptions about anything. Yes, I don't know anything about their programming. I was just trying to hazard a guess for eliminating sequences. It's too bad you can't disclose the real reason, since you seem to be implying Logitech had a very rational reason and it was no oversight. Any rational explanation, might neutralize a lot of the upset people are expressing here. I know Logitech employees lurk here. It is rather surprising they haven't already piped in to this discussion in order to end speculation about what seems irrational or their seeming not to care about what the consumer wants.

Other than the RF capability, why wasn't the 900 built off the platform of the ONE? In more other ways, the 900 is like the One than the 1100. I would love to hear an explanation for that, too, from a Logitech employee.
post #116 of 2799 Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

this was posted by NelsonHarmony on the logitech forums
Quote:

The physical shell may look like a Harmony One, but a lot of the guts and internal programming are much more similar to the Harmony 1100.

For one, both of these remotes are using a new version of the code compiler, which works by compiling code on the remote itself instead of having our servers do it. This lets the Harmony 900 change settings like Themes and Blaster settings without needing an update. Theoretically the Harmony 1100 could've done it, but it doesn't :smileytongue:

I assume that this is at least part of the reason that the 900 and 1100 require new accounts as opposed to upgrading an existing remote/account to them
post #117 of 2799 Old 08-14-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:

as far as I know the output is just regular IR...just keep in mind that the blaster plugs are not just 2.5mm...but 2.5mm mono connections

Thanks for the response. Mono is typical for emitter outputs across all IR systems that I know of. I would think that it would work just fine for me but was hoping that someone had actually tried it out.
post #118 of 2799 Old 08-14-2009, 06:47 AM

See my post #46. I am using these plugs(3.5mm female to 2.5mm male) 2.5mm into the extender and standard emitter cable plug(3.5mm) into the female end. Using emitters on all my devices instead of the mini blasters.

ED
post #119 of 2799 Old 08-14-2009, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

this was posted by NelsonHarmony on the logitech forums

I assume that this is at least part of the reason that the 900 and 1100 require new accounts as opposed to upgrading an existing remote/account to them

I understand. If only Logitech would be so open about explaining some of the less welcomed changes, instead of keeping the reasons in the dark...

I assume the 900 updates faster than the One, then?
post #120 of 2799 Old 08-14-2009, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

the 900 updates very fast, but I can't recall if the one or the 1100 was the first remote to fully utilize the USB 2.0 speed
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page