AVS Forum banner

Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread

466K views 3K replies 453 participants last post by  mogrub 
#1 ·
#78 ·
Ouch, I'm in a similar situation for this remote...

I was all but sold on it until I read this thread about the sequences being deleted (glad I did read this thread before committing though).

So from what I gather from you Wannabe Actuary is that this feature is most likely not going to be added back for the 900 which, like mentioned previously, made the remote alot more user friendly especially for family members or any one else non-tech savy. Yes, it took a little while to program and a little bit of trial and error to set the sequences to do what you wanted them to do, but once that was finished the remote was a thing of beauty to control.

Ahh well, no choice but to move on. Still, I hate that this had to happen to kill my hopes for the 900 for my setup.

#83 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes /forum/post/16981393

is your name randy?

uhhm... what he said.

I got a question for you two Randy's

How good is that RF signal... It says 100ft on the logitech site - is there a guess how much a wall would reduce this with? My HT equipment is on the other side of two drywalls with 60 inches and insulation between the drywalls.

This remote would allow me not to run IR controllers if it works. Just wondering if I should wait or it probably won't work

This combined with the PS3 adapter is going to be sweet if it works

#84 ·
i've been able to control my system from another room, about 30' away thru a wall (also two sheets of drywall)

#85 ·
The RF is good. I can blast mine through two walls and it controls my devices. I was testing only and that is not my normal setup but it did control things.

#87 ·
That was 1) Quick answers and 2) What I wanted to hear which makes them good answers
(jk)

Thanks guys -- getting this at Best Buy. I hope people understand that a release date of 4th / 5th (can't remember) plus one week = start of the football season. So this thing will get programmed RIGHT AWAY

Thanks

#89 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by timevacuum /forum/post/16989892

What's the story on direct wireless control for home automation stuff?

I understand they have switched horses to something called ZigBee. Has anyone used or tried lighting controllers or other home automation products based on this standard?

S.

never heard of zigbee...never heard it mentioned during beta testing for the remote

there is, and will not be, z-wave support on the 900.

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/16986795

sequences are essentially a must for two types of users from what I can tell

1. those with IR controllable lighting

2. those who frrequently use closed captions or 'teletext' (something in Europe)

I've found that generally other than that, it's a rare need for sequences

sure, I turn game mode on and off for my 360 activity...but it's just as easy (and even more automated) to include it as additional commands for when the activity starts (turning it on) and ends (turning it back off). All remotes can add actions to the start/end of an activity.

As a DIRECTV customer I have several sequences to automate feature activation on the DIRECTV DVR. For example, to get to the To Do List: [MENU] [DOWN] [DOWN] [DOWN] [SELECT].

I also created two sequences to simulate the TiVo Style Guide on the DIRECTV DVR, where I could bring up all upcoming programs on a channel and than hit my sequence key to have it go to the next channel and display all upcoming programs on that channel: Sequence A, Activate List Guide:
[INFO] [SELECT]; Sequence B, Get Next channel: [BACK] [DOWN] [INFO] [SELECT].

Finally, I have sequences for Closed Ccaptioning (as noted, it's common: [YELLOW] [DOWN] [SELECT]) and for fast access for changing the favorite lists in the GUIDE ([YELLOW] [CH DN] [SELECT]) and for getting to setup ([MENU] [PG DN] [DOWN] [DOWN] [SELECT]) and restarting the DVR ([PG DN] [UP] [SELECT] [SELECT] [-]).

So these are just mine, but talk to some DIRECTV users at sister-site DBSTalk and you'll find we do use sequences quite often.

#98 ·
I own an H1 now, and although I don't have any real need for RF right now, I can certainly see the need arising in the future.

Without sequences, the 900 won't even be a consideration when I need to replace my H1.

Logitech had better have a hell of a list of reasons to get rid of sequences...

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymaticRacer /forum/post/16994767

I own an H1 now, and although I don't have any real need for RF right now, I can certainly see the need arising in the future.

Without sequences, the 900 won't even be a consideration when I need to replace my H1.

Logitech had better have a hell of a list of reasons to get rid of sequences...

My best guess (which doesn't amount to much probably) is that since they have access to all of our accounts that they know how much (or how little) a feature is being used. Sequences are probably one of the least used features. I only have one right now and I could live without it, but most folks don't even know sequences exist. It isn't a selling point either. They would rather flaunt slide shows!

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos /forum/post/16994915

My best guess (which doesn't amount to much probably) is that since they have access to all of our accounts that they know how much (or how little) a feature is being used. Sequences are probably one of the least used features. I only have one right now and I could live without it, but most folks don't even know sequences exist. It isn't a selling point either. They would rather flaunt slide shows!

Sequences are nothing but a few extra lines of code... which they already have written..

it would take exactly ZERO effort for them to give the 900 sequence capabilities.

Logitech is going backwards as far as "customizability" goes from what I am seeing, and that is only going to drive more and more customers away...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.