AVS Forum banner

Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread

466K views 3K replies 453 participants last post by  mogrub 
#1 ·
#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos /forum/post/16994915

My best guess (which doesn't amount to much probably) is that since they have access to all of our accounts that they know how much (or how little) a feature is being used. Sequences are probably one of the least used features. I only have one right now and I could live without it, but most folks don't even know sequences exist. It isn't a selling point either. They would rather flaunt slide shows!

But if including sequences doesn't cost them anything more (how could it since it was already in the ONE), why would they exclude that feature? The only guess I can make is they needed the sequencing programming space for some of the new features (sleep timer, programming of the RF extenders, etc).

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymaticRacer /forum/post/16994987

Sequences are nothing but a few extra lines of code... which they already have written..

it would take exactly ZERO effort for them to give the 900 sequence capabilities.

Logitech is going backwards as far as "customizability" goes from what I am seeing, and that is only going to drive more and more customers away...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder /forum/post/16995003

But if including sequences doesn't cost them anything more (how could it since it was already in the ONE), why would they exclude that feature? The only guess I can make is they needed the sequencing programming space for some of the new features (sleep timer, programming of the RF extenders, etc).

you're both making assumptions about an environment (their programming) that you know very little about....all I will do is point to the 1000 as an example and remind you that the 1100 was an update/new version of the 1000...and the 900 was built off the same platform as the 1100....and leave it at that.

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/16995023

you're both making assumptions about an environment (their programming) that you know very little about....all I will do is point to the 1000 as an example and remind you that the 1100 was an update/new version of the 1000...and the 900 was built off the same platform as the 1100....and leave it at that.

Fair enough.

I'm still going to call it lazy though. May not be the programmers fault... could easily be an executive decision.

I will make the counter point though that just because they have done this before, doesn't mean that it is ok this time. IMO it was wrong to do it in both instances.

#105 ·

Quote:

Not sure about that theory. The 900 must already have sequences internally programmed since switching to an activity is basically a sequence that gets run (turn on tv/receiver->switch receiver to hdmi 1->etc). I have been very impressed with the quality of the software for the H1 and expected sequenced to be supported and was delighted to see they were. I must admit, at its current price, the 900 is not on my to buy list but when the price drops I WILL want it because of RF but will have a small grudge with it for not supporting sequences. Companies shouldn't suppress software that customers want (ie. verizon/apple/logitech?)

#106 ·

Quote:

I hope this doesn't mean it's not possible to upgrade a One account to a 900 account, like the 1100.

#109 ·
I don't believe it, in just 2 days exciting news have turned into a non-event.

RF, colour buttons and a better display are desirable, but there's no way I would start from scratch again, might as well look for other remotes if one of the main advantages of the Harmony range dissapears.

#110 ·
honestly, you have your existing remote as a guide

when I had to do this for both the 1100 and 900 beta tests, I was upset, but you reach a point where you can have it set up in almost no time at all

I also got my hands on the One slightly early (not a beta test) and when I upgraded from an 880 to the One it really didn't save much time for me vs when I setup the 1100 from scratch

#111 ·
I just did 3 of my four Windows 7 conversions. Two "bare metal" and one Fusion on my Mac. I still have to "bare metal" the PC I'm typing on now. I don't want to hear about setting up a friggin' remote! That's a walk in the park. My main PC is going to be a weekend project. Going from my 880 to the One was mostly a redo with a few things already set up. If you're in this forum, you know what you're doing and just get on with it.

If seeing squareeyes' icons if "Full HD" isn't enough motivation, hell.

#112 ·
IMO, this is the kind of conformism that will allow Logitech to get away with lack of sequences and upgrades.

I upgraded too from a 885 to the One, and I don't remember any special problems, only remapping buttons in the activities.

Don't ge me wrong, I love the Harmony concept, but that doesn't mean I have to swallow everything they do. However, there're are no other alternatives in this price range with a feature similar to Smart State, so sooner or later I'll have to swallow my own words.

#113 ·
I have a Xantech IR repeater system in my theater. Does anyone know if I can connect the 900's docking station directly into the IR hub like I have done with previous RF remotes? I know that the base station uses 2.5mm plugs so I would have to adapt to a 3.5mm connector (or actually use bare leads into the screw terminals on my IR hub). Is the IR output standard to work with repeater systems?

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by indecision /forum/post/16998490

I have a Xantech IR repeater system in my theater. Does anyone know if I can connect the 900's docking station directly into the IR hub like I have done with previous RF remotes? I know that the base station uses 2.5mm plugs so I would have to adapt to a 3.5mm connector (or actually use bare leads into the screw terminals on my IR hub). Is the IR output standard to work with repeater systems?

as far as I know the output is just regular IR...just keep in mind that the blaster plugs are not just 2.5mm...but 2.5mm mono connections

#115 ·

Quote:

I am not making assumptions about anything. Yes, I don't know anything about their programming. I was just trying to hazard a guess for eliminating sequences. It's too bad you can't disclose the real reason, since you seem to be implying Logitech had a very rational reason and it was no oversight. Any rational explanation, might neutralize a lot of the upset people are expressing here. I know Logitech employees lurk here. It is rather surprising they haven't already piped in to this discussion in order to end speculation about what seems irrational or their seeming not to care about what the consumer wants.

Other than the RF capability, why wasn't the 900 built off the platform of the ONE? In more other ways, the 900 is like the One than the 1100. I would love to hear an explanation for that, too, from a Logitech employee.

#116 ·
this was posted by NelsonHarmony on the logitech forums
Quote:
The physical shell may look like a Harmony One, but a lot of the guts and internal programming are much more similar to the Harmony 1100.

For one, both of these remotes are using a new version of the code compiler, which works by compiling code on the remote itself instead of having our servers do it. This lets the Harmony 900 change settings like Themes and Blaster settings without needing an update. Theoretically the Harmony 1100 could've done it, but it doesn't :smileytongue:

I assume that this is at least part of the reason that the 900 and 1100 require new accounts as opposed to upgrading an existing remote/account to them

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/16998503

as far as I know the output is just regular IR...just keep in mind that the blaster plugs are not just 2.5mm...but 2.5mm mono connections

Thanks for the response. Mono is typical for emitter outputs across all IR systems that I know of. I would think that it would work just fine for me but was hoping that someone had actually tried it out.

#118 ·
See my post #46. I am using these plugs(3.5mm female to 2.5mm male) 2.5mm into the extender and standard emitter cable plug(3.5mm) into the female end. Using emitters on all my devices instead of the mini blasters.

#119 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/16998634

this was posted by NelsonHarmony on the logitech forums

I assume that this is at least part of the reason that the 900 and 1100 require new accounts as opposed to upgrading an existing remote/account to them

I understand. If only Logitech would be so open about explaining some of the less welcomed changes, instead of keeping the reasons in the dark...

I assume the 900 updates faster than the One, then?

#122 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbarron /forum/post/16999228

Can anyone clarify if the RF for the 900 is all new or same as to 1100? (I understand the 1000RF is the older 900mhz tech).

this has been answered a few times already....NO, it's not the same

the 890, 890Pro, 1000 and 1100 all work with the same extender using the 900mhz technology.

the 900 works with it's blaster on the ECNet protocol, using 2.4Ghz technology...

the 900 will NOT work with the older extenders, and the older remotes will NOT work with the new blaster

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/16994928

it's not due to usage stats
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzymaticRacer /forum/post/16994987

Sequences are nothing but a few extra lines of code... which they already have written..

it would take exactly ZERO effort for them to give the 900 sequence capabilities.

Logitech is going backwards as far as "customizability" goes from what I am seeing, and that is only going to drive more and more customers away...
Quote:

Quote:

There is absolutely no way that Logitech excluded sequences due to programming limitations. Sequences/Macros have existed in very cheap remote controls for ages now.

Since there is no valid technical excuse, the only logical reason would be a cost savings effort to eliminate customer support calls/emails related to creating and maintaining sequences. I would almost be cool with that if the remote was $49. But at $400, its unacceptable.

Maybe they could act like Tivo and give advanced users a 'cheat code' to turn on sequences and simply leave them unsupported. Win-win.

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/16999799

you are not listening...it had NOTHING to do with potential support costs

OK, sorry, I didn't see that you already dismissed that idea. I realize that your agreement prevents you from flat out telling everybody, but the exclusion of sequences is so absurd, I just can't leave this alone. As far as I'm concerned, there is no rational reason to exclude such a basic feature. If it is as simple as "the new codeset is different", then that is just a pathetic design for a remote. I can create macros on any key with my nine year old $20 Radio Shack remote, even without my JP1 cable/software.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwieder /forum/post/16998604

Other than the RF capability, why wasn't the 900 built off the platform of the ONE? In more other ways, the 900 is like the One than the 1100. I would love to hear an explanation for that, too, from a Logitech employee.

Probably a long shot here but it makes you hope there's maybe a replacement coming for the Harmony One. Hopefully, a One with a clearer LCD screen and length of time you can set the screen to stay on, amongst other features. At the most, I would pay about $50.00 over the price of the current Harmony One.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.