post #1591 of 2799 Old 01-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlonewolf View Post
I contacted Harmony support about 5 days ago, and still haven't heard back so thought I'd mention it here while I wait.

My 900 (about a week old) is locking up quite a bit, about once a day. The transmit icon stays on; I need to remove the batteryto get it working. After some searching it seems reasonably common, anyone else experience this?
I've been seeing this lock up too but it's more like once or twice a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 2799 Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 PM

Liked: 10
Hey All,

So I've been using the Harmony One for 2 years and a few days ago the LCD broke. The touch screen still functions but is blank so I am using it purely from memory. I'm over the extended warranty through my credit card by 5 days!! Dammit!!

Anyways, Harmony provided me a 50% coupon to use on their website. I can pick up another Harmony One for $140 CDN, the Harmony 900 for $225 CDN or the Harmony 1100 for $225. After a little research I'm leaning towards the 900 mainly becasue of the physical Red/Blue/Green/Yellow buttons. The higher resolution screen is a bonus and the RF will be a nice convinience for now but maybe more usefull in the future.

Now my questions are, based on my setup do you guys think it's worth the extra $85 + tax for the 900 and if so, where would I place the main and mini blasters (do I even need the mini blasters?)?

The equiptment I need controlled is:

1) TV
2) HDMI switcher
3) IR to BT converter
4) PVR
5) Sound Receiver
6) Camera dock
7) DVD player

post #1593 of 2799 Old 01-09-2011, 11:23 AM

Liked: 12
i would say they way your components are in an open shelf array facing you, the blasters imo aren't gonna do much unless you position them awkwardly which would look bad. you would probably be using IR to control your components.
post #1594 of 2799 Old 01-09-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
britbill,

If you currently use sequences on your One, you should avoid both the 900 and 1100 and get another One. If not, then the 900 will be a nice upgrade for you. I personally don't think it's worth an $85 difference, but this is coming from a guy who's never paid over $85 for a remote period.

For the blasters, you'll have to push all your components back a bit to make room. They will look tacky IMO. I usually reserve those for stuff that's totally hidden.
post #1595 of 2799 Old 01-09-2011, 11:33 AM

Liked: 12
Is there anyway to disable to "guided help" "i know how to fix" screen when you press help? I like it better on the harmony one when you press help it just starts send ir commands and asking questions right away.
post #1596 of 2799 Old 01-09-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersFan View Post

i would say they way your components are in an open shelf array facing you, the blasters imo aren't gonna do much unless you position them awkwardly which would look bad. you would probably be using IR to control your components.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

britbill,

If you currently use sequences on your One, you should avoid both the 900 and 1100 and get another One. If not, then the 900 will be a nice upgrade for you. I personally don't think it's worth an $85 difference, but this is coming from a guy who's never paid over $85 for a remote period.

For the blasters, you'll have to push all your components back a bit to make room. They will look tacky IMO. I usually reserve those for stuff that's totally hidden.

Thanks Guys. I am not using any sequences right now besides what I have setup as activities. From what I can gather the remote would send an RF signal to the main blaster and mini blasters and then those would convert the signal to IR and shoot it out to the components in multiple directions right? I dont really want the blasters in front of the components so to test this I tried using the remote from on top of the components. (I actually placed it on the PVR, facing towards me and the PVR responded when I pressed the remotes buttons. Same for my Sound reciever and others. Now does this mean that I should be able to place the blasters pretty much on top or beside each component and be able to take advantage of the RF or would the IR signal transmitted from the blasters be weaker than the actual remote?
post #1597 of 2799 Old 01-09-2011, 06:19 PM

britbill,

It all depends on what the ir signal is bouncing off of to reflect back into the receiver on each component. I bought the "Logitech Harmony® Precision IR Cables" from the logitech site, which allowed me to put stick on ir blasters directly onto my components just in front of their receivers. This has even worked for one component where I modified the cabling so that I could connect it to a cat5 cable and route to my projector about 20 feet away.
post #1598 of 2799 Old 01-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone used the Harmony 900 to set up a Netflix activity? I use an Xbox 360 to stream netflix. I want to do this so the wife and mother-in-law can just press "Watch Netflix" and it will do all the same stuff as my "Play Xbox" activity except once the console starts up it will select netflix. Thanks for any help.

Also, I am trying to figure out a way to have a "Watch Movie Previews" activity to run some movie slides. Has anyone done this? I have gotten the movie slides into a video (.wmv using Picasa); this is the only way I knew how to add music. The Xbox 360 will play it, but I can't figure out how to go straight to it with an activity (more impressive that way). Any help appreciated.
post #1599 of 2799 Old 01-10-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
tmaschm, you need to run thru the wizard for the activity you want to create. When you get to the end of the activity wizard it will ask you the question if everything is working properly and give you 3 options:

No, Yes, Yes but I wish to add more control or commands.

Select the last one I listed but I cant recall in what order they come up. This will walk you thru the wizard again, click thru and eventually it will bring to a screen towards the end which will allow you to add commands to either the beginning of an activity or the exit of an activity. You'll be able to add the commands you need here to automatically do the things you want when entering an activity.

The one problem I can forsee is the delay that you may need for the xbox to power up and be ready to receive the necessary commands so you will need to figure out delays if necessary. One thing that may help is to make the xbox power up first in the activity.
post #1600 of 2799 Old 01-10-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321
tmaschm, you need to run thru the wizard for the activity you want to create. When you get to the end of the activity wizard it will ask you the question if everything is working properly and give you 3 options:

No, Yes, Yes but I wish to add more control or commands.

Select the last one I listed but I cant recall in what order they come up. This will walk you thru the wizard again, click thru and eventually it will bring to a screen towards the end which will allow you to add commands to either the beginning of an activity or the exit of an activity. You'll be able to add the commands you need here to automatically do the things you want when entering an activity.

The one problem I can forsee is the delay that you may need for the xbox to power up and be ready to receive the necessary commands so you will need to figure out delays if necessary. One thing that may help is to make the xbox power up first in the activity.
That's the way I was going to try and do it. I guess I was hoping it had already been done and someone had the sequence of commands and delays figured out.
post #1601 of 2799 Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Gotcha...PS3 user so I can't really help with that part.
post #1602 of 2799 Old 01-10-2011, 05:28 PM

Gave that a shot and it didn't work. I added three 'up' commands, which are each ten seconds from the initial activity command. Nothing happened Any ideas? I noticed that the commands are being sent IR according to the Harmony SW "tips". If the Xbox is being controlled via RF then will the commands still get sent? Or do I need to make the Xbox controlled via IR (really don't want to).
post #1603 of 2799 Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The commands should be getting sent whichever way you have the harmony set up to send the commands to the xbox. If you have the xbox setup to receive RF then 900 should always send RF to it's base station which is then converted to IR and flashed to the xbox.

I have read folks having issues with the Xbox's IR range and IR receiver angle due to front console covers so flasher placement may be a factor. If it works manually it should work when you set it up at the beginning of the activity. The timing may also be the issue, ten seconds may not be enough for the Xbox to start receiving commands, so have the xbox turn on first in the activity and do a big increase in the delay for the commands to be sent. If you get it to work you can then dial back the delay to when it works consistently with the minimum delay.
post #1604 of 2799 Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

The commands should be getting sent whichever way you have the harmony set up to send the commands to the xbox. If you have the xbox setup to receive RF then 900 should always send RF to it's base station which is then converted to IR and flashed to the xbox.

I have read folks having issues with the Xbox's IR range and IR receiver angle due to front console covers so flasher placement may be a factor. If it works manually it should work when you set it up at the beginning of the activity. The timing may also be the issue, ten seconds may not be enough for the Xbox to start receiving commands, so have the xbox turn on first in the activity and do a big increase in the delay for the commands to be sent. If you get it to work you can then dial back the delay to when it works consistently with the minimum delay.

1.) I have the xbox set up to receive RF

2.) I realize that 10s may not be enough for the xbox to be ready, but I sent three "up" commands each with a 10s lag. From my understanding that means the last up command should come at 30s. I'll add more to be sure tonight and see what happens.

Ok, so turns out I'm an idiot. I was only setting up the delay and not the commands. It's confusing because Logitech has both list boxes for the command and the delay at the same screen, which made me think I was setting up both. Just today I noticed there were radio buttons. If anyone is interested in making their harmony navigate the xbox menu pm me. Thanks guys.
post #1605 of 2799 Old 01-17-2011, 06:01 PM

I use my 900 remote in my living room. I have all components in a closet one floor below in my basement. The remote has been working great so far except for one problem.

Whatever function I press on the remote (turn the tv on, pause, rewind, etc) - it not only performs that on my living room tv but also my basement tv. So if I am watching football upstairs and I pause the game - it also pauses the basement tv that my wife might be watching; which drives her crazy.

Ive tried putting a chair up against the closet door (its a lousy door to begin with) but nothing seems to work. The basement tv/cable box still seems to pick up 80% of the remote upstairs.

Anyone know how to fix this?
post #1606 of 2799 Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING DIRK View Post

I use my 900 remote in my living room. I have all components in a closet one floor below in my basement. The remote has been working great so far except for one problem.

Whatever function I press on the remote (turn the tv on, pause, rewind, etc) - it not only performs that on my living room tv but also my basement tv. So if I am watching football upstairs and I pause the game - it also pauses the basement tv that my wife might be watching; which drives her crazy.

Ive tried putting a chair up against the closet door (its a lousy door to begin with) but nothing seems to work. The basement tv/cable box still seems to pick up 80% of the remote upstairs.

Anyone know how to fix this?

From your post it sounds like one of the PVR's is in the closet and the other is outside. If this is correct you have to makes sure that there is no IR leakage from the closet sides, top, or bottom. Some black electrical tape to cover these areas might help.

The IR addresses on DirectTV DVR's can be changed so that commands to one do not control the other.
post #1607 of 2799 Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 PM
CHG
Advanced Member

Just got the 900.

I have the Harmony one and the touchscreen comes on when I press any button, the screen ,or, move the remote. The 900 touchscreen will only come on when I touch the screen, or, move the remote.

Is there a way to have the 900 screen come on when you hit the play button, or any other button?
post #1608 of 2799 Old 01-19-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post

Just got the 900.

I have the Harmony one and the touchscreen comes on when I press any button, the screen ,or, move the remote. The 900 touchscreen will only come on when I touch the screen, or, move the remote.

Is there a way to have the 900 screen come on when you hit the play button, or any other button?

I *think* this is by design so you save battery life if you only need to press buttons. If you want the screen to illuminate, move the remote to activate the screen.
post #1609 of 2799 Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 PM
CHG
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwaggy View Post

I *think* this is by design so you save battery life if you only need to press buttons. If you want the screen to illuminate, move the remote to activate the screen.

Thanks. I figured that was probably the case.

Just wanted to be sure the remote was not defective, or there was a setting I missed to change it.
post #1610 of 2799 Old 01-19-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I really want to get a 900 to replace my 688. A couple of questions, are you guys overall happy with the 900 and how is the RF range overall? I know some of you have had issues with that. I'm also wondering if you guys think there might be a new model coming out soon? Also, any deals out there for the 900?

So for so many questions.

Thanks
post #1611 of 2799 Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 AM

Hi all, I am new to this forum as well as remote programming. I currently have a dish network DVR VIP-612 which uses RF. I am trying to decide between the 900 and the 1100 remotes. Do I need to use the blaster and or mini blaster on the 900 to control this Dish network unit? I read that on the remote under options you select either IR or RF for each device you want to control, does this mean I can choose RF for the dish unit and say IR for my Samsung LCD TV? If so, will the remote talk directly to each of the units without the blaster or mini blasters? All of the other devices, TV, Blu Ray, Receiver, are all IR. Hope this makes sense to you guys as I am trying to figure out first which remote will work for me where I have RF and IR. Any help is sure appreciated.

Thanks
post #1612 of 2799 Old 01-20-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

With the 900 and the 1100 the RF feature is to communicate with the Logitech extender which will then convert the commands to IR. So no, it will not communicate directly to the Dish RF set top box. You should be able to switch to recieve IR I believe.

Big difference between 900 and 1100 is that the 900 includes the extender and is a blaster set up. You can add emitters but this will require 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters.

The extender from the 1100 (which can be had affordably from ebay) is a blaster and easily accepts standard emitters. I wouldn't buy one without the included emitters, some ebay sales are just the extender so be cautious.
post #1613 of 2799 Old 01-20-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:

With the 900 and the 1100 the RF feature is to communicate with the Logitech extender which will then convert the commands to IR. So no, it will not communicate directly to the Dish RF set top box. You should be able to switch to recieve IR I believe.

Big difference between 900 and 1100 is that the 900 includes the extender and is a blaster set up. You can add emitters but this will require 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapters.

The extender from the 1100 (which can be had affordably from ebay) is a blaster and easily accepts standard emitters. I wouldn't buy one without the included emitters, some ebay sales are just the extender so be cautious.

Ok, thanks for the quick reply. I did check out my DVR and through the system setup you can change the box to use IR or RF. So now I guess I need to decide which do I buy the 900 or the 1100, decisions, decisions. All of my devices are sitting out on a three tier table so I guess I don't actually need the RF. So it seems that the decision should be which I like better, holding the remote in your hand or the 1100 which is more for the table. Am I missing anything? Is there any advantage to choosing the 1100 over the 900? It seems at this point its a coin toss
post #1614 of 2799 Old 01-20-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

If you don't need RF at all and don't expect to in the future, then you might want to consider the one and save some money.
post #1615 of 2799 Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:

If you don't need RF at all and don't expect to in the future, then you might want to consider the one and save some money.

The deciding factor is exactly what you mentioned, do I need RF in the future? I am going to go with the 1100 because I may need to have the RF in the future and I decided I like the layout. Thanks a lot for you help, and I am on my way to buy the Harmony 1100.
post #1616 of 2799 Old 01-26-2011, 03:46 PM

Does anyone have issues with the harmony 900 transmitting through double 5/8 drywall with green glue walls? My rack is outside a theater room, about 12 ft away from the main seating positions.
post #1617 of 2799 Old 01-27-2011, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I can control my equipment from outside through a 8" stucco wall and an interior wall. from 40 feet away.
post #1618 of 2799 Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM

hey all.

Trying to fix an issue with my current setup and devices not being in line of site. I've considered either getting the IR extender, or possibly giving RF a try and maybe getting the H900. This might seem like an incredibly stupid question, but does the 900 have RF AND IR?
post #1619 of 2799 Old 01-27-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the RF extender which will flash your equipment with IR once it receives the RF signal from the remote is included with the 900.
post #1620 of 2799 Old 01-27-2011, 01:16 PM

What I mean was, is the remote itself actually IR as well as RF, or does it totally rely on the device it comes with to transmit any kind of IR signals? In other words, if you didn't use the RF features, is it basically a Harmony One and can directly control devices using IR.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page