AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

Glad you worked it out.

What kind of problems are you having? Are you able to successfully manage one source without issue?

My thought would be to do a Zone2 on/off, Zone2 input, Zone2 volume, then just use the Device button to access whatever he wanted to listen to....does this sound like a plan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2192 of 2799 Old 02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Not ideally, you want to run thru the device wizard again for your receiver. The software should know that the device has a zone 2 capability, if it does not then you would want to treat zone 2 as a seperate device or receiver.

You then treat zone2 as any other device and create activities you want to use it in, along with the other devices you want to use with it. So if you have lets say Cable music for your activity, then you need to use your cable box and receiver zone 2 in that activity. This way the Harmony will keep track of the state of your devices. When you go thru devices to change things, the device status is not being tracked and you will be out of sync, things wont turn on or off correctly or be on the correct inputs.

Basically repeat this for the devices you want to create activities for in zone 2. Hope that helps.
post #2193 of 2799 Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not ideally, you want to run thru the device wizard again for your receiver. The software should know that the device has a zone 2 capability, if it does not then you would want to treat zone 2 as a seperate device or receiver.

You then treat zone2 as any other device and create activities you want to use it in, along with the other devices you want to use with it. So if you have lets say Cable music for your activity, then you need to use your cable box and receiver zone 2 in that activity. This way the Harmony will keep track of the state of your devices. When you go thru devices to change things, the device status is not being tracked and you will be out of sync, things wont turn on or off correctly or be on the correct inputs.

Basically repeat this for the devices you want to create activities for in zone 2. Hope that helps.

Oh crap you're right it does ask during the setup procedure, I'm going to practice with my livingroom system first. This was a little dark corner of remote programing i would avoid because i couldnt figure it out.....I will report back soon i hope...
post #2194 of 2799 Old 02-06-2012, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, I'll be getting the remote this week, i'll get the main system up and running, I hope you guys can school me on this Zone2 stuff i seem to have a mental block going...

As i said Zone2 is fed to the deck speakers, music only like XM,FM ect.. Not sure why i have such a problem, probably because i avoid it and never mastered it..

Thanx guys
post #2195 of 2799 Old 02-06-2012, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

You'll be ok once you get going. Just basically think of zone2 as a seperate receiver just for the deck and create all the activities with the sources you want to access on the deck area. I have a similar setup and only really have 3 activities. Cable Music(Cable Box & rcvr.), CD Music(PS3 & rcvr.), Deck FM Tuner (receiver only).

Just chime in if you get stuck, someone's always willing to help, good luck.
post #2196 of 2799 Old 02-06-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'll be ok once you get going. Just basically think of zone2 as a seperate receiver just for the deck and create all the activities with the sources you want to access on the deck area. I have a similar setup and only really have 3 activities. Cable Music(Cable Box & rcvr.), CD Music(PS3 & rcvr.), Deck FM Tuner (receiver only).

Just chime in if you get stuck, someone's always willing to help, good luck.

Thanx
post #2197 of 2799 Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

Hi Bob, I'm new to the Harmony 900 and I also have a 73833. The problem I'm having is with my Activities involving input changes to the TV. I was wondering which setup you chose for this? I picked the one that cycles through the inputs in a fixed order but I notice depending on what input the TV is left on, it will end up on a different input when the Activity is launched. Any suggestions?

I'll bump this one to any user that might be able to help. I've got a Mits DLP that only has one input button to cycle through the various Antenna, RCA and HDMI inputs. The TV stays on the last input used when powered down. The problem is that when I try to use my activity to watch movies from my media streamer, the activity never ends up on the correct input. There's an option in the setting of the TV to be able to "hide" unused inputs which I also use. Any help appreciated.
post #2198 of 2799 Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post

I'll bump this one to any user that might be able to help. I've got a Mits DLP that only has one input button to cycle through the various Antenna, RCA and HDMI inputs. The TV stays on the last input used when powered down. The problem is that when I try to use my activity to watch movies from my media streamer, the activity never ends up on the correct input. There's an option in the setting of the TV to be able to "hide" unused inputs which I also use. Any help appreciated.

The Harmony database has all the direct inputs for this set. I have the 65833 and they're all listed.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #2199 of 2799 Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Like most tvs, generally Mits has discrete input commands. So using input Method 2 will solve your problem, whether you have some hidden or not. It doesn't matter that the remote only has one input button. The original remote is irrelevant in this case. If the profile you're using doesn't have discretes (Input HDMI1, Input Component1, etc.), try another similar model, i.e., a different screen size or older model.

EDIT: I see Joe beat me to it. Direct = discrete.
post #2200 of 2799 Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

As mentioned discrete is the best option when available on your tv's command set.

Also is there enough of a delay when powering up? Your DLP needs enough time from when it is powered on to when it is ready to receive a command. If you successfully go from one activity to another activity and the inputs change as they should, that is your problem. Go to this device in the software and go to more options, select adjust the delays, then power on delay.

You should probably be at about 15000 to 18000 ms for a delay. You can start high and then notch it back until it doesn't work again, then you know the minimum delay that you need from a power off state.
post #2201 of 2799 Old 02-08-2012, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

So in Devices there will be another receiver as Zone2, and activities will be XM radio Zone2...
post #2202 of 2799 Old 02-08-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

post #2203 of 2799 Old 02-08-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

So i made a device Zone2 avr receiver. It wont activate the zone2 in the receiver. The last remote that died controled zone2 via IR, so i know it can be done.

Activities XM2 turns on the receivers main zone

Do i have to learn the 900 all the commands off the original remote for the reciever which is a Denon 2805

Plus, will i then be ale to run another activity like watch DVD in the Living room. How will the remote know which zone I'm in, keep switching it from activity to activity depending where i am and what i want to do, then master off kills the whole thing...

Zone2 is tough.....
post #2204 of 2799 Old 02-09-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Go thru the command set for the zone 2 device and make certain the correct commands are mapped to it, hopefully all the commands are already available. Go thru the wizard also for that device and ensure that correct command(s) for power on and off are mapped there as well.

As far as multiple activities it will depend on how you want to handle. If you mean your just personally moving form area to area then yes, you choose the activity for the area your in. If you are entertaining and want to have all the areas on at the same time you can create an activity which includes all the equipment which needs to be on.

I have an all media on activity for my HT and rec. room area which turns on my receiver, projector, rec. room t.v., and tunes everything to the cable input(cable box is always left on).

If volume in each zone is independent,you will need to assign one zone's volume to the hard keys and the other zone you can assign to soft keys on the screen.
post #2205 of 2799 Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

If i end up getting this straight, and have the activities in order can i do this......can a choose XM radio Zone2( back deck ), then hit Watch TV in the living room and have both on at the same time.
post #2206 of 2799 Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Only if you tell the software to leave unused devices on when exiting activities.

In other words yes, you can turn xm on zone 2 for the deck, then switch activities and turn on watch tv for the living room but only if you indicate for device not to be turned off when switching activities. They will still turn off when you hit the all off button.

If you want different sources at each location that is probably the best way to do it. Ultimately you can switch back and forth between activities for control, again if you leave the equipment on when switching activities. You can also program the commonly used commands to the soft keys on the screen.

In my scenario I was tuning both the HT and rec room to cable and either watching the same program or listening to music from the same source.

You seem to be indicating that you want music on the deck while watching a tv program in the living room.
post #2207 of 2799 Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ first off thank you for your time...

This is what i ultimately want. I set up the livingroom perfect. All goes on all goes off, and total control of everything, device wise.

On the deck (Zone2).... i would like XM radio and FM radio, and volume control. I would like to have both zones operating at once. Hometheater DVD living room, and XM on the deck just as an example
post #2208 of 2799 Old 02-09-2012, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem.

Ya, if that's how you want to run things then your best option is to simply state that you want unused devices to be left on when switching activities. You would be able to do it any order really, and then switch to the corresponding activity to gain control of the area your in at the specific time.

Everything should power off when hitting the power off button.
post #2209 of 2799 Old 02-09-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok, went to options and switched to Leave power on when switching activities, but as you say, master power shuts the whole thing down..

Now, i switched the second Receiver to Zone2, if i activate the activity XM Zone2, it doesnt power on Zone2, will i have to customize the power toggle in the soft key page. I know how to teach it IR commands if i have to....When checking the drop down boxes in " customize button " i cant see Zone2 Power. Am i missing something or shouldnt the Power Toggle for Zone2 button be available somewhere other than the original remote.

I'm gonna customize all these buttons too while I'm at it
post #2210 of 2799 Old 02-09-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No problem.

Ya, if that's how you want to run things then your best option is to simply state that you want unused devices to be left on when switching activities. You would be able to do it any order really, and then switch to the corresponding activity to gain control of the area your in at the specific time.

Everything should power off when hitting the power off button.

So if everything stays on i can walk from the deck to the livingroom and hit Watch TV activity and control it, walkout on the deck and hit XM Deck and control it, and everything stays on ? If so, cool...
post #2211 of 2799 Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

If i end up getting this straight, and have the activities in order can i do this......can a choose XM radio Zone2( back deck ), then hit Watch TV in the living room and have both on at the same time.

An alternative to specifying that all devices are left on is to define one or more mega activity that includes all the required combination of devices and settings. You will have to map the zone 2 volume +/- buttons to soft keys. That is how I have my remote setup.
post #2212 of 2799 Old 02-10-2012, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

So if everything stays on i can walk from the deck to the livingroom and hit Watch TV activity and control it, walkout on the deck and hit XM Deck and control it, and everything stays on ? If so, cool...

Yes, it should work out that way. Just need to straighten out the power command for zone 2. The software should be treating it as a separate device and powering it on. when switching to that activity. Just be sure the zone 2 power command is set up as the power on command for zone 2 receiver in the devices section. If it's not there then yes teach it from the remote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

An alternative to specifying that all devices are left on is to define one or more mega activity that includes all the required combination of devices and settings. You will have to map the zone 2 volume +/- buttons to soft keys. That is how I have my remote setup.

I have a similar setup with all media on, it seems kgveteran wants to have the ability to switch to any source in either area.

I guess you could go about it by turning everything on at once and then selecting inputs and sources thru soft keys, but it would turn on more than you need to or you would need a more extensive number of activities to have different combinations of devices and control.
post #2213 of 2799 Old 02-10-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, so power function, volume, inputs need to be taught....

This makes scence to me, thx so much for your attention.
post #2214 of 2799 Old 02-10-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPlayer View Post

Yup, and by switching activities i can acheive the same, all these options are great..thx for your attention
post #2215 of 2799 Old 02-11-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I experimented with my 890, everything works but the power toggle. Seems when i give Zone2 its zone2 power, livingroom gets zone2's power toggle ?......

After playing around it seems the remote does not separate the two receiver zones, it treats them as one. Best i could do the assign toggle power to zone2 and power on/off to living rm zone. That worked. Any time i assign zone2 cable/sat, main zone loses it Grrrrrr, but this is the 890 and not the 900, i just thought i would set mine up for summer
post #2216 of 2799 Old 02-11-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

When asked if i was going to use both zones i remaned them and checked off on both, i think this was right...
post #2217 of 2799 Old 02-11-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

When you set up the receiver you have to check both boxes and name the two zones, i was doing one at a time and they were duplicates of each other duh.....

I erased them and stared over by checking both boxes and renaming, then harmony separates them..geez..talk about learning curve LOL
post #2218 of 2799 Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know how to map an app like Netflix from a Roku box or WD Live to a button on the Harmony remote if possible? I want to be able to press 1 button to take me to Netflix.
post #2219 of 2799 Old 02-21-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 325
That's a sequence macro which is impossible on the 900. Most any other remote could do that very easily.
post #2220 of 2799 Old 02-21-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopeztm View Post

Anyone know how to map an app like Netflix from a Roku box or WD Live to a button on the Harmony remote if possible? I want to be able to press 1 button to take me to Netflix.

How many button presses does it take to get you to netflix?
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page