Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2311 of 2811 Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked: 421
The Xsight Touch is the only universal remote that can control a DirecTV DVR in RF mode. With the 900, the DirecTV DVR would have to be in IR mode. The 900 sends RF to the base, then the base sends IR to all your devices.

Besides that one exception, no universal RF remote can talk to any device besides it's own base. The base in turn, sends IR to your devices. Any RF devices would need some sort of IR gateway device. So the message that your RF device can't be controlled by harmony is correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2811 Old 04-30-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Got it. Thanks mdavej.

So, does the 900 send everything in IR and to the base at the same time? So, basically, the remote and the IR blaster are sending out the exact same IR codes? And the only purpose of the RF is to get the blaster to send the IR in a closet?

Chet
post #2313 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Any idea where the "DVR" command is for the Dish Network Joey?

Edit: Nevermind. Apparently "DVR" is now "List".

Chet
post #2314 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 01:28 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

So, basically, the remote and the IR blaster are sending out the exact same IR codes?

Not exactly. The user specifies which devices are controlled by the remote, and also specifies which devices are controlled by the RF extender. The remote sends commands to it's list of devices and the RF extender sends IR commands to it's list of devices.

One common configuration would be the remote controlling the display, and the RF extender controlling devices in another room. In my case our 1100 remote sends all commands to the RF extender in another room because our center channel speaker obstructs the IR receiver on our display. We have an IR emitter wired through the wall and pasted over the display's IR receiver.

Quote:

And the only purpose of the RF is to get the blaster to send the IR ... ?

Yes, but only to the RF extender's assigned devices. That's an important part of the design.
post #2315 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Any chance Logitech to change their tune and add macros/sequencing to the software? This is REALLY frustrating.

Chet
post #2316 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Been 3 years so what do you think?
post #2317 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Been 3 years so what do you think?

Why would they not include them? This cripples this remote so bad.

Chet
post #2318 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Save development and support costs so it's cheaper for us that don't need it.
post #2319 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Save development and support costs so it's cheaper for us that don't need it.

I don't know about that. They had macros already developed for the H1.

Chet
post #2320 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

different device, different processor. You ignore the support call issue.
post #2321 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I disagree. I bet they get practically no support calls on all the remotes that still have macros because the sequence setup is so well hidden, you couldn't make a macro if you wanted to. By taking features like this away, they actually increase support calls. On their latest remotes, not only are sequences gone but also the ability to add more commands to activities, adjust backlight time-out, change activity order, adjust delays and repeats, etc. All those things a user could do on his own now require a phone call.

As far as code goes, they already have the code. Favorites are identical to sequences, so the code is already done. And the web interface is already done.

I blame the lack of sequences on stupidity. Harmony is the only advanced universal remote that can't do a simple macro. That's just dumb no matter how you look at it.
post #2322 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I disagree. I bet they get practically no support calls on all the remotes that still have macros because the sequence setup is so well hidden, you couldn't make a macro if you wanted to.

I think you sell Harmony users short. They are high end users who know exactly what macros are, where to find them and how to use them and many bought this remote anyway. Logitech simply made a business decision and I would wager sales figures, manufacturing costs and support costs on this remote bear them out. Besides there are alternatives and I bet a remote with the 900 kind of feature set will always be prominent in the lineup.
post #2323 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Since Logitech dropped sequences, sales and profits for Harmony remotes are down this year according to the latest reports. No direct correlation there, I admit, but if removing features was supposed to result in windfall profits, it didn't. It resulted in lower sales, a lot of bad press, complaints and the loss of many advanced users like myself as customers. Sales probably fell due to many factors, like competition from iOS and Android apps, an entire line of crippled remotes (older models had 12-15 devices but their replacements only have 5 or 6), failed products like the Link, new development costs for myharmony.com, etc.

Any universal remote feature set that doesn't include macros doesn't belong in any lineup. Besides the nearly obsolete One, harmony doesn't make any remote that does sequences (unless you use the old software). That's just sad.
post #2324 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
To bad urc doesn't step up with a more consumer friendly PC programable remote.
post #2325 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

2325 posts and counting say this is a popular remote.

I had a macro in the 880 for lights and when going to this remote used the soft buttons instead. Now I would not have it any other way. I found I usually do not automatically want lights a certain way exactly at movie start or movie end.
post #2326 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I have to say, "I'm with mdavej on this one." No macros is just stupid.

I used the soft buttons too, but now I have a full page of soft buttons to do what I'd rather do as part of a sequence.

And, even though I did research this remote, the Logitech web site doesn't exactly say, "This remote doesn't include macros." And since I had a previous model that did have macros, I figured that Logitech wouldn't do something as stupid as removing such a vital feature. I guess I was wrong and I've paid the price for it.

So, now I'm looking at finding some kind of IR receiver that will respond to IR commands in the way of RS-232 commands. My projector uses RS-232 commands to discretely change to a specific input or to a specific lens setting. If I am successful, I will be able to press one button on the 900 and convert those IR codes to RS-232 commands that correspond to the one thing that I want the projector to do.

Does anybody know of a product that will do this?

For more background on what I'm trying to do, please see this post.

Chet
post #2327 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

lol IOW you didn't do your homework. FYI it doesn't make breakfast either.

You need an old Philips-whatever-they-werecalled
post #2328 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol IOW you didn't do your homework. FYI it doesn't make breakfast either.

You need an old Philips-whatever-they-werecalled

I do plenty of homework. Didn't think I had to go looking for features to be missing that were in previous models. Usually products get better as newer (more expensive) models are released. Not worse.

You're referring to the Pronto. Had one of those too. Never did learn ProntoScript (which was a Phillips version of JavaScript).

Chet
post #2329 of 2811 Old 05-01-2012, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Honestly, I have a Harmony One, 900, and 1000. The 1000 supports sequencing if I recall, but I've never had call to use it. I used macros on my old Philips Pronto remote, but the 900 is by far my favorite of the remotes. I can get it to do pretty much anything I need, including turning my TV and speaker backlighting on and off, dimming it at activity start, etc.. I just don't see a need for macros on the 900 with my setup anyway.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #2330 of 2811 Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

Honestly, I have a Harmony One, 900, and 1000. The 1000 supports sequencing if I recall, but I've never had call to use it. I used macros on my old Philips Pronto remote, but the 900 is by far my favorite of the remotes. I can get it to do pretty much anything I need, including turning my TV and speaker backlighting on and off, dimming it at activity start, etc.. I just don't see a need for macros on the 900 with my setup anyway.

That pretty much sums it up. And after using macros I found I prefer controlling lighting from the soft buttons better.
post #2331 of 2811 Old 05-02-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckenisell View Post

I have to say, "I'm with mdavej on this one." No macros is just stupid.

I used the soft buttons too, but now I have a full page of soft buttons to do what I'd rather do as part of a sequence.

And, even though I did research this remote, the Logitech web site doesn't exactly say, "This remote doesn't include macros." And since I had a previous model that did have macros, I figured that Logitech wouldn't do something as stupid as removing such a vital feature. I guess I was wrong and I've paid the price for it.

So, now I'm looking at finding some kind of IR receiver that will respond to IR commands in the way of RS-232 commands. My projector uses RS-232 commands to discretely change to a specific input or to a specific lens setting. If I am successful, I will be able to press one button on the 900 and convert those IR codes to RS-232 commands that correspond to the one thing that I want the projector to do.

Does anybody know of a product that will do this?

For more background on what I'm trying to do, please see this post.

You can try learning multiple button presses into one button press with the OEM remotes and raw learning function of the software. Depending how many commands you need to string together results will vary, but take a look at the link on the signature line for instructions on how to perform the multi-command learn.
post #2332 of 2811 Old 05-02-2012, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by oman321 View Post

You can try learning multiple button presses into one button press with the OEM remotes and raw learning function of the software. Depending how many commands you need to string together results will vary, but take a look at the link on the signature line for instructions on how to perform the multi-command learn.

I tried this and with a single remote and multiple button presses (I.e. 3 button presses), the best I could do was 2 button presses and it only works about 40% of the time...so I just gave up. If you were using different remotes, it might work better. (I.e. press pause and turn on lights)

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #2333 of 2811 Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I tried this and with a single remote and multiple button presses (I.e. 3 button presses), the best I could do was 2 button presses and it only works about 40% of the time...so I just gave up. If you were using different remotes, it might work better. (I.e. press pause and turn on lights)

As someone without a fortune to spend on a remote (read: Crestron or similar tablets and such, or even the higher end Pronto models in the solid four figure range and above) the 900 does quite a bit, and does it decently.. I can't really complain. Remember logitech is aiming at the lower price range remote market, and mass-appeal. Not so much to the people who need more advanced functionality and are willing to pay for it.

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #2334 of 2811 Old 05-02-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post

... logitech is aiming at the lower price range remote market, and mass-appeal. Not so much to the people who need more advanced functionality and are willing to pay for it.

But that's what's so frustrating. Macros aren't advanced functionality and aren't limited to expensive remotes. My $5 remotes can do 15 step macros. Logitech is the only universal remote maker that dares to charge $30 and up for a remote without macros. Universal remotes do macros. It's in their DNA. How logitech can unilaterally decide remotes don't do macros anymore boggles my mind.

And before you ask, "if your $5 remote is so great, why don't you use it instead of harmony?", I can honestly say that I do. My $5 remote runs circles around harmony in nearly every respect. All it lacks it an LCD so you can see what additional functions are called. If logitech would add that one simple thing, sheesh ...
post #2335 of 2811 Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

it's probably a right-wing conspiracy.
post #2336 of 2811 Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I know it can be frustrating, I've run into quite the hurdles myself. I have learned 4 commands from the same remote, but they are the same commands repeated.I know others have successfully done different combos.

Using this method when i first learned of it, a lot of folks were using some of those 5 dollar remotes mdavej mentions to learn some impressive strings of commands then teach back the one button to the Harmony.

Good luck with whatever you end up trying for a solution.
post #2337 of 2811 Old 05-02-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:

it's probably a right-wing conspiracy.

As a member of the Right Wing, I can tell you that we maintain complete deniability on this topic. That's just.. just silly talk!

-GlassWolf
My Home Cinema

post #2338 of 2811 Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have problem to turn all devices or turn off all devices with logitech 900. Some times projector or receiver are not starting/stopping when I start activity or turn off.Any suggestions?

Also, How do I set lutron switch to start at a particular dim level? When I press all off, it turns on light, but it is too bright.
post #2339 of 2811 Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 AM

Liked: 10
First, I would like to say that after trying many other brands over the years - We have successfully utilized Harmoney 880, ONE and now the 900...most family friendly remotes; Happy wife=Happy Life!

I'm looking for a very reliable/no-brainer/family friendly (kids 4yrs & 7yrs) solution with regards to my new IR & RF setup...So I recently upgraded my H1 to 900 in my LR so I could put all my components in a cabinet/closet...everything seems to be working well now that my kids don't need line of site for all the components. We have only one outstanding minor issue - after 3 weeks everyone is getting lazy/impatient with the time it takes to execute the activity sequence as well as line of sight for the TV (Samsung PN 58C550G1F), thus the TV doesn't alway behave properly (mostly on/off issues). Does it make sense to use Y-spliter and run blaster to TV or is there a better more reliable way?

Looking forward to your thoughts/suggestions...
post #2340 of 2811 Old 05-10-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 17
I have all of my devices assigned to the Blaster, including all that are in line of sight to the remote like the TV. I never have to worry that a command might be missed if someone or something walks in front of me ans the remote. And it also works great with the Sleep timer, if the remote should fall on the floor, the devices will still turn off. Let me explain how the 900 and Blasters work, for those devices not assigned to a Blaster, IR is sent from the 900 directly to the device, for those devices assigned to a Blaster, RF is sent from the 900 to the Blaster, and in turn IR is sent from the Blaster to the devices. A third party IR extender will not work with the RF of the 900, to use a third party IR Extender, IR is sent from the 900 to the third party IR Transmitter, it then sends RF to the it's own IR Receiver unit, which in turn sends IR to your devices.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page