Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #2791 of 2811 Old 04-23-2014, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It is inherent in the architecture of the remote. You just have to live with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2792 of 2811 Old 06-12-2014, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone ever tried to replace the LCD screen?

My 900 had a bad fall yesterday, and now the LCD screen inside is cracked. The remote still works otherwise, and I can even use the touchscreen by remembering where things were.
post #2793 of 2811 Old 06-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Trooper, that's a shame. I can't imagine you could pull off that surgery, but if you are motivated anything's possible. You'd almost certainly have to scavenge the replacement part from another 900. Post back when you decide on repair vs replacement, and tell us what you do.
post #2794 of 2811 Old 06-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Update: I almost went the route of fixing the screen myself, but my soldering skills aren't the best. I found a company on ebay that would replace the LCD screen at a decent price. So...

I received the repaired remote yesterday, and I'm having some issues (and regrets). The image on the screen (not the screen itself) starts to get wobbly, shaky, and unstable - almost like interference on an old OTA TV channel. Then the remote goes to the white screen and reboots itself. I've contacted the seller to see where we go from here, but does anyone know what the "wobbly" image is a symptom of? Is it a bad connection?
post #2795 of 2811 Old 06-27-2014, 10:25 AM

Something to add: I noticed that the wobbly image and reboot happen pretty consistently when I press the OFF button. The seller says this is a battery issue, but I'm a little dubious of that.
post #2796 of 2811 Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikstormtrooper View Post
Something to add: I noticed that the wobbly image and reboot happen pretty consistently when I press the OFF button. The seller says this is a battery issue, but I'm a little dubious of that.
Drop it in the charger for 24 hours and then immediately put it in action, and see if there is the same issue. I'm dubious too.
post #2797 of 2811 Old 07-30-2014, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Slowed down activity boot up?

I had to replace my Onkyo pre-amp recently, so I had a lot of re-programming of my 900 to do. I eventually started from scratch.

One thing I've noticed is that my activities (which use the same components except for the new pre-amp) take much longer than before. For instance: "Watch TV" which turned on my TV and pre-amp while selecting the correct input(s) used to take around 5 seconds. Now it takes 10+ seconds. During which, the 900 screen shows the spinning "processing" dial in the middle. I don't recall ever seeing that before.

Anyone experience something similar. Maybe I did something incorrectly in reprogramming the 900?

Thanks in advance...
post #2798 of 2811 Old 07-30-2014, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by thos19 View Post
I had to replace my Onkyo pre-amp recently, so I had a lot of re-programming of my 900 to do. I eventually started from scratch.

One thing I've noticed is that my activities (which use the same components except for the new pre-amp) take much longer than before. For instance: "Watch TV" which turned on my TV and pre-amp while selecting the correct input(s) used to take around 5 seconds. Now it takes 10+ seconds. During which, the 900 screen shows the spinning "processing" dial in the middle. I don't recall ever seeing that before.

Anyone experience something similar. Maybe I did something incorrectly in reprogramming the 900?

Thanks in advance...
Somewhat similar issue - I find some of the controls stop working during use - for example volume or mute stop working on the AVR. Buttons are not faulty.

What's the proper process to completely wipe/reset the Harmony and Software so you can start from scratch?

Van G

Carl Spackler: "The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."
post #2799 of 2811 Old 08-02-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van G View Post
Somewhat similar issue - I find some of the controls stop working during use - for example volume or mute stop working on the AVR. Buttons are not faulty.

What's the proper process to completely wipe/reset the Harmony and Software so you can start from scratch?
Ther is no easy way of doing that. You can just create a brand new account, add your devices and create your activities. Or delete all of your Activities, then delete all of your devices in your old account. There is no reset to factory option.
post #2800 of 2811 Old 10-09-2014, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a major problem with my remote programming. I just purchased a Tivo Mini to add to my set up. I am running the Pioneer SC-67 with the TV running into the Sat input. All video runs to the HDMI on the TV.

Inputs into the Pioneer go to the DVD, CD etc, while the SC-67 carries 7 HDMI slots.

The problem is that I can control all of my devices except the Tivo Mini. After nearly pulling my hair out and losing sleep, installing and uninstalling the OS several times, I finally figured what the problem is. The remote is having trouble determining which HDMI slot to go to. No matter if I program the Tivo for HDMI 6 or HDMI 4 (HDMI 5 is off limits since it shares the MHL slot as well), but it will not go to the right one.

Does anyone have any idea how to resolve this?

Thanks.
post #2801 of 2811 Old 10-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seeing some activity in this thread got me to thinking about bringing up an issue I have noticed over the last year.

First, I love this remote. Simple and does the job. Anyone in the family can use it no problem to swap channels and devices.

The problem is, about 1 out of 10 times the remote does not turn on everything. For example I may switch from TV on the DVR to TV on my Dune Media Center. Everything might work fine with the change over but the AVR might not get switched to the proper output for the Dune. The remote has a help button which runs the switch process over again and then asks "Did that fix things?". Normally the help function does not fix things (I believe it used to), so I need to hit the "I know how to fix" and then select AVR on the remote and hit the input command - at this point the AVR switches perfectly and all is good.

The above is only an example. Sometimes the Blue Ray might not get turned on, or DVR2 does not turn on, or the AVR does not turn on, or inputs on the AVR are not switched.

Not a big deal because I just hit "I know how to fix" and manually fix it using the remote.

The problem is when the wife or kids run into the problem. They are stumped and are calling me for help wherever I am at. I did come up with a work around for them. If what they want to switch to does not come on properly switch to something else using the remote, then when it switches over, switch back to what they really want to turn on, this almost always works for them.

Anyone else have this problem and find a solution or have an idea what is happening?

"It's not a lie if you believe it's the truth" --- George Costanza
post #2802 of 2811 Old 10-10-2014, 09:13 AM

I am not an expert when it comes to this, but I have found that I have the same issue when we clean the cabinet where the audio video receiver is located. The solution is to adjust the sensor and test it out that way. This usually resolves the issue a lot of times.
post #2803 of 2811 Old 10-10-2014, 09:31 AM

After posting last night, I found a few possible solutions on the web and after going through the manual again.

One of the solutions was to use the single button approach to traverse the HDMI slots sequentially.

The question is that if I use this approach, will the Remote start at the same place each time i.e. Hdmi 1 and go through them sequentially or will it start the count from Where it left off?

If the latter, then I presume that I would have to turn everything off and start from scratch so that it would end up in the same place each time but this would also make it somewhat unproductive if I am on another HDMI slot

The reason for asking is that a lot of times I will have to reprogram the entire remote after making one small change to the remote buttons and I don't really want to do this again so if anyone has a good solution to this I would really appreciate it.

By the way I have had the remote and current setup for two years without many problems and I would recommend it.

Thanks.
post #2804 of 2811 Old 10-29-2014, 02:26 PM

Liked: 0
900 RF Life coming to an end

<y apologies if this has been answered before...My Harmony 900 seems to be on its last leg and I am heavily considering a replacement. What are some of better options out there with RF to IR capability like the 900? Thanks!
post #2805 of 2811 Old 10-29-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Schwartz View Post
<y apologies if this has been answered before...My Harmony 900 seems to be on its last leg and I am heavily considering a replacement. What are some of better options out there with RF to IR capability like the 900? Thanks!
Xsight Touch is very similar to the 900 and $30 for the remote and $15 for the base on ebay. And unlike the 900 does unlimited macros and has 6 blasters. Otherwise, you're looking at $250 for an Ultimate and going mostly touch-screen.
post #2806 of 2811 Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Schwartz View Post
... My Harmony 900 seems to be on its last leg and I am heavily considering a replacement. What are some of better options out there with RF to IR capability like the 900? Thanks!
Hey Jeff. There are three Harmony RF capable options right now, but only two make sense. The first is the Harmony Ultimate Home at $350, which comes with a hub and mini blaster. The second is the Harmony Home Control, which also comes with a hub and mini blaster, but at $149 is way cheaper.

That cheaper one has a much simpler remote -- no LED and no back lighting -- but there's a Harmony app that turns a smart phone or tablet into a fully functional remote, and it looks pretty slick. If you wanted to control AV via smart phone or tablet, that would save a couple hundred bucks. I'm not sold, but it's an option.

The third Harmony RF option is the prior gen Ultimate One priced at $250, but then you have to buy a hub, so you're at $350. Tech support told me the Ultimate One can't be paired with the new hubs Harmony sells now. That functionality is due to arrive in a firmware update "in a few months" per Logitech. So that option makes zero sense.

When my 900 croaks, I'll probably get one of the Harmony Home models. Partly because the 900 has been so good, and partly because Harmony already has all my AV equipment and settings in their database. I'd much rather download that into a new Harmony, and not start from scratch with someone else.

Curious, when you say your 900 is on last legs, what are the symptoms?

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #2807 of 2811 Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Xsight Touch is very similar to the 900 and $30 for the remote and $15 for the base on ebay. And unlike the 900 does unlimited macros and has 6 blasters. Otherwise, you're looking at $250 for an Ultimate and going mostly touch-screen.
Thanks!

I'll check it out.
post #2808 of 2811 Old 11-04-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Hey Jeff. There are three Harmony RF capable options right now, but only two make sense. The first is the Harmony Ultimate Home at $350, which comes with a hub and mini blaster. The second is the Harmony Home Control, which also comes with a hub and mini blaster, but at $149 is way cheaper.

That cheaper one has a much simpler remote -- no LED and no back lighting -- but there's a Harmony app that turns a smart phone or tablet into a fully functional remote, and it looks pretty slick. If you wanted to control AV via smart phone or tablet, that would save a couple hundred bucks. I'm not sold, but it's an option.

The third Harmony RF option is the prior gen Ultimate One priced at $250, but then you have to buy a hub, so you're at $350. Tech support told me the Ultimate One can't be paired with the new hubs Harmony sells now. That functionality is due to arrive in a firmware update "in a few months" per Logitech. So that option makes zero sense.

When my 900 croaks, I'll probably get one of the Harmony Home models. Partly because the 900 has been so good, and partly because Harmony already has all my AV equipment and settings in their database. I'd much rather download that into a new Harmony, and not start from scratch with someone else.

Curious, when you say your 900 is on last legs, what are the symptoms?
Thanks Mogrub,

My 900 seems to "hang" sometimes. It also resets itself quite often, losing time. Also, about half the time it does not process a command. For example, I'll hit a button and it will just give me the "Failure X" on many button presses before finally processing. The cabinet is less than 10 feet over might right shoulder. I also find that I have to leave the cabinet door open for it to process better. I also don't like being limited on blasters since I use a rack system and the three blasters don't seem to hit everything in the rack. I'm not an expert on macros, so I don't use any self made ones, but the remote itself seems to be quite "laggy" Also, I recently had to replace the battery due to a severe bloating issue. It just feels like there might be a better option out there.
post #2809 of 2811 Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 AM

are these any good i dunno if i should get one i have a yamaha rx 373 av system and a optima hd 141x would it work on both
post #2810 of 2811 Old 11-04-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
...The second is the Harmony Home Control, which also comes with a hub and mini blaster, but at $149 is way cheaper.
I think you meant to post "Harmony Smart Control". At $99, even cheaper than the new Home Control but lacking home automation integration, which the OP didn't mention needing. You can also piece together an Ultimate One or older Touch plus hub and possibly save a few bucks. In any case, I don't think the Smart/Home Control is a good option unless you plan to rely heavily on using your smartphone. With no display, it simply isn't a good replacement for a 900. Plus with no IR on the remote itself, it would require blasters/base both in the cabinet and outside in order to reach the TV.
post #2811 of 2811 Old 11-11-2014, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

After two years, my 900 quit last night. A message said "Your Blaster is not responding." I tried unplugging and resetting the blaster, but no luck. I tried repairing the blaster with the remote 3 or 4 times, no luck again. Figured it was toast.

But with help from the Logitech forum, our 900 works fine again. Try these steps if you ever have this problem:

1. Take battery out of remote
2. Unplug power from blaster
3. Wait one minute
4. Put battery back in remote and let it reboot fully
5. Plug in blaster
6. Place remote so that the front touches the blaster.
7. Go to advance RF setting on the remote, and add a blaster while the remote rests on the blaster window.

After that, you should see a new message pop up, and you should be able to re-review which devices are IR and which are RF. Our remote remembered those settings from the original set-up, and the remote worked perfectly after exiting that screen.

The two keys for me were battery out of remote, and then ignoring the message that says you can repair from 12 inches away. Most people can't. You need the remote to be right next the the blaster for a successful re-pair.
joe221 likes this.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.

Last edited by mogrub; 11-13-2014 at 09:33 AM. Reason: typo as usual
Reply Remote Control Area