Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread - Page 95 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #2821 of 2844 Old 01-03-2015, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
At least if you learned the software yourself, you could experiment with different delays between steps if you use the pause protocol. Plus you could add any command for any device yourself from now on without having to contact Logitech support.
Thank you. It's complex, but I may try it. Might be an interesting learning curve for not so much $. I may come back to you with more questions if I dive in! Really appreciate your help :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2822 of 2844 Old 01-03-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sti491 View Post
Thank you. It's complex, but I may try it. Might be an interesting learning curve for not so much $. I may come back to you with more questions if I dive in! Really appreciate your help :-)
A few more questions:

1. Hummm, so my Charter Cable DVR remote has a 6 pin connector in the battery compartment, will it work as my JP1? I'm guessing yes.

2. SHOULD I use it as my device to program macros that I would then IR transfer to my Harmony 900, or do I run the risk of harming/changing Charter Cable remote and then I have no back up to control my cable box if my Harmony 900 dies... i.e., should I just buy a separate JP1 remote for my macro purpose, and not molest my OEM Charter Cable Remote?

3. Using my OEM Charter Cable Remote as an example, the 6 pins inside the remote is labeled JP1.3, I can see how the pin numbers are labeled. I also see the individual single pin connectors on the USB cable you recommended. I already have a USB cables with ends that terminate in two different size micro plugs. Is there a one piece 6 pin connector adaptor that make it be easier than messing with the small plastic individual female pin parts and then being sure they are on the right pins? I tried searching, but not sure I got where I needed.

This is all pretty fascinating. I am willing to give it a try for a small investment but I want to make it as easy as I can. I am a pretty handy DIY'er and back yard mechanic, OK with a certain level of PC stuff. I mastered the Harmony 900 programing over several systems with multiple components, so I think I'm up for this challenge, er, maybe?!

Last edited by sti491; 01-04-2015 at 06:31 AM.
post #2823 of 2844 Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 599
It is pretty fascinating. Glad you're willing to give it a try. It's not so bad once you understand the basics.

1. Possibly yes. While's it's most certainly JP1, we've only bothered writing special software (called an "extender") for fast macros on a few of the most popular ones. Out of the box, JP1 remotes do macros at normal speed, which wouldn't do you any good. I would need an exact model number or picture of the front of the remote to know for sure. Charter uses many different models of different ages and in different markets. If it's an Atlas (black with a round bulge), then we're in business. If it's straight and silver, then it's not going to be able to do fast macros, but will work with JP1 for other purposes like teaching new commands.

2. No risk at all. With a JP1 cable, you just back up the original config, experiment all you like, then load the config back in when you're done. If the software is available, as I mentioned in 1, then you're all set.

3. Yes. You may be interested in this: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14952. Or just buy your own 6-pin (2x3) 2.54mm connectors in bulk from ebay as I did. But just any USB cable won't do. It must be a USB-serial adapter that talks RS232 and uses an FDTI or Prolific chip. When transplanting the wires from one connector to another, use a jewelers screw driver to depress the small metal catch first. If they're hard to pull out, you'll break something.
sti491 likes this.
post #2824 of 2844 Old 01-04-2015, 10:02 AM

My Charter Cable remote is straight and silver, so I guess it's a NG for my purpose. Thanks for the answers!
post #2825 of 2844 Old 01-04-2015, 10:55 AM

Having trouble downloading RM software from your links, mdavej

mdavej,

Thanks again. But I am getting stuck in the mud right at the start!

I was about to purchase the remote and cable, but thought I would download the Remote Master software you recommended to my Macbook forst, to see what it looks like.

At the risk of really looking stupid (!), I am having difficulty doing that. You suggested I, “Install and learn to use Remote Master per the Xsight info link in my signature.”

Your Xsight link takes me here:
Thread for discussion of the Xsight Color, Touch, Lite and Plus features of RMIR, currently in alpha.

To install, first download and install RM as well as the maps/images and RDFs:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=12553
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...e&file_id=6160
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...e&file_id=5338

Then the additional RDFs and Maps:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=12554

Clicking on the first link gets me to a summary description page of "File - RM/RMIR v2.03 Alpha 26a Revised"

From there however, I can’t see anywhere where to download the file, or files from there (or any of the other links)…. There is a webpage link, but somehow I am not seeing “the Forest through the Trees” to see how to download the darn file to my MacBook.

So I want to download the Remote software, but can’t find the link within what you have in your signature under Xsight.

What am I missing?

Last edited by sti491; 01-04-2015 at 11:47 AM.
post #2826 of 2844 Old 01-04-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Download button, bottom left of that page. You need the first 3 links, not the "additional" RDFs in the 4th.

Unzip to the folder of your choice, then run setup.vbs. Unzip the other 2 to other folders of your choice. On the first run, RM will ask where you unzipped the others. This also requires java to run, so you may have to download that as well: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ad-432155.html

Sorry for the confusion, that link was just the easiest way to get you started without me having to write too much.

EDIT: Sorry again. I forgot you have to log in to see those buttons. Looks like you'll have to make an account first. Don't worry, it's just a forum like this one, no spam or anything like that. It's the best place for JP1 support anyway, so it will come in handy.
sti491 likes this.

Last edited by mdavej; 01-04-2015 at 12:50 PM.
post #2827 of 2844 Old 01-04-2015, 02:26 PM

I was wondering if I needed to log-in and that was the problem! ... And this will work on a Mac yes?
post #2828 of 2844 Old 01-04-2015, 03:22 PM

Making progress but stuck at a different point now. Have all three files downloaded in a new folder. The Download button showed up when I registered and logged in.

I checked if I had Java installed on my OSx Yosemite 10.10.1 Macbook using Terminal. It confirmed Java is installed with this:
Robs-MacBook-Pro:~ robwatson$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-466.1-11M4716)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-466.1, mixed mode)

BUT: when I tried to open Setup.vbs I get a dialog box that says:
There is no application set to open the document “Setup.vbs”.
Search the App Store for an application that can open this document, or choose an existing application on your computer.

.. and I don't know what to search for, or what to do next. Is all this only for Windows?

Any thoughts to get me unstuck again, on my MacbookPro using OSx Yosemite 10.10.1?

Last edited by sti491; 01-04-2015 at 03:36 PM.
post #2829 of 2844 Old 01-04-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't know much about Mac. You may have to ask in the JP1 forum. But I think you can still run without the setup. Just try to run the jar file.
sti491 likes this.
post #2830 of 2844 Old 01-05-2015, 04:27 AM

OK, I got the jar file to open by pointing to the map and other file folder I downloaded. Now I have the Java interface open. It's all blank info though, as I would expect. I'll try to find a tutorial on it somewhere, to see how to get started. Seems I had seen one somewhere on a prior search.

If you have any additional thoughts on what I do next or where to go please let me know. Sometimes progress is slow, but at least I am making some... Thanks again!
post #2831 of 2844 Old 01-05-2015, 04:59 AM

OK, I got the jar file to open by pointing to the map and other file folder I downloaded. Now I have the Java interface open. It's all blank info though, as I would expect. I'll try to find a tutorial on it somewhere, to see how to get started. Seems I had seen one somewhere on a prior search.

I was able to pull up info on the RCA RCRP05B, but it looks like I will purchase a RCRP05BR from Amazon, that is not listed in the software. Are these the same?

Is the next step to download my new JP1 remote info through the USB connection to get started? I have not purchased that yet, so maybe I can't do anything without the remote(?). I’d like to get as far as I can without the actual remote just to get familiar with the software.

Can I start working on loading the extender? I noticed when I found the remote info and went to click on it, that there was a box pre-selected that said “without extender”… Should I unclick that? If I did is the extender for fast marcros already there?

I was confused on what I read about the extender. Is it copying and pasting code text somehow, or just that box check? Is the only thing the extender does is enable fast macro’s? Can you please explain that, and now that I have the software (without the extender I assume), is there anything more I do or play with until I have the remote and cable?

If you have any additional thoughts on what I can do next please let me know. And thanks again!

I’ll be traveling all day today but will pick this back up when I return. Does it appear to you I should be good to go ahead and buy the remote and cable now, that I got this far with the software?

Sometimes progress is slow, but at least I am making some... Thanks again!
post #2832 of 2844 Old 01-05-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Tutorial is linked on same page as the download links.

B and BR are identical. Just pick B in the software, no extender.

If you want to experiment, just pick File New in RM. To keep things simple, we're just loading the patch, not the extender. The extender enables lots of things, but the patch only enables fast macros, which is all you'll need for your purposes.

You'll copy/paste just the patch code, but I don't remember the exact procedure off the top of my head. I'll follow up with that later.

When you get your cable, you'll want to start by uploading from the remote, paste in the patch, add the vizio device, make your macro, then download to the remote. Run the patch, then whenever you run your macro from the button you assigned, it will run fast. Test it on your TV before teaching it to your 900. If it runs too fast, you can add pauses between steps. That's another procedure we can cover later if necessary.
sti491 likes this.
post #2833 of 2844 Old 01-05-2015, 07:13 AM

Thank you. Makes sense.

I'll get the remote and cord ordered.

Look forward to the extender patch cut and paste instructions when you have time.

Have a great day !
post #2834 of 2844 Old 01-05-2015, 04:00 PM

Got the remote and cable ordered. Played with the software a little. Looking good so far!
post #2835 of 2844 Old 01-05-2015, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Glad to hear it. I ran through the procedure in RM, and here's how to load the patch:

In RMIR, go to the devices tab, New, Import Raw, Copy/paste all patch code into the top box, OK, OK, pick TV, OK.
sti491 likes this.
post #2836 of 2844 Old 01-06-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Then load the fast macro patch http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...?p=85266#85266 . Then load a Vizio device like this http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dl...&file_id=12755 , and build your macro.

Daunting, I know, ...
It is daunting only because it's like learning a foreign language! I have several questions trying to follow your instructions that look simple, but they are not so simple for the uninitiated (me!):

1. Please verify this is the cut & paste code patch, from the link you posted above, that you are referring to?

Code:

Upgrade Code2 0 = 14 53 (TV/1107) Patch Macro Speed. Use CH+=.007s, CH-=.26s
01 FA 00 21 01 00
End

Upgrade Protocol 0 = 01 FA (S3F80) Patch for Faster Macros on UnExtended RCRP05B 3179
00 00 01 C6 CC 35 16 C6 BE 00 0F C6 CA FF 1B A6
03 00 EB 04 C6 CA FF 2A 8D FF 39 70 C0 70 C1 C6
C0 05 0D F6 01 0D 50 C1 50 C0 C6 AA 00 02 F6 47
5A 46 D3 02 76 AC 20 6B F8 B0 C6 78 CD 56 C7 7F
56 CD 80 C4 CC C0 C6 C2 FE 80 C6 C4 00 80 F6 04
4C C4 CA C0 C4 C6 C2 06 C3 80 16 C2 FE C4 BE C4
C4 C2 C6 04 BF C7 14 BE C6 26 C7 00 36 C6 00 5B
18 EB 04 42 77 6B 12 C4 BE C4 22 57 32 46 F6 FF
89 C4 C0 CA C4 C6 BE 8B B0 F6 04 4C F6 48 B2 C6
BE 00 80 C6 CA FE 80 8D 48 C6
End

2. Bellow are the instructions that were in the post along with the code. I put some of my assumptions in parenthesis and questions in italics. Please verify, answer or clarify those the best you can. I think I am on the right path, but want to be sure, or as sure as I can be (!). I did not understand the instruction I labeled "C" at all, that I underlined, But later EDITED with what I think may be right (?). I think it's a matter of terminology I was confused about.

a. Save your current .IR setup (from my new RCA RCRP05B, that hasn't delivered yet... and/or just the standard IR file I got from File-New-Remote Image, within RMIR itself)

b. Please make sure TV Chan Dev is TV so that in TV mode, CH+/- works in TV mode and doesn't switch over to CBL mode. Do this in the General Tab, in the box to the right?

c. Add the two device upgrades into IR. I do not understand what "two device upgrades" to add?... does this mean save some changes to the remote IR file in RM? ...ADDED EDIT AFTERWARDS: Does this refer to copying and pasting the Two Codes as you explained in your last post, that I show above from that original link above? I think it does, and that makes sense (!) ... I did not understand referring to those as "upgrades" at first, but think that's what it is now after re-reading it. So "Add the two device upgrades into IR" actually means: to copy and paste the patch into RM as you explained, but do not save it to the remote IR file. Please confirm.

d. Assign TV/1107 to the TV device button. Device code 1107 is just to turn on this patch? It is not my Vizio TV device code. These are unrelated I'm guessing, and the TV/1107 is just to load the patch into the remote?

e. Upload to the remote. But don't save the changes to the IR file

f. Press the TV device button, then press CH+ to set the speed to .007s or CH- to set the speed to the original .26s. I want to to press CH+ for the faster speed

g. Upload your saved .IR setup (the original one from the first step?) to the remote. So now the remote is set back to my correct TV device code, and TV Chan Dev is back to cable, etc? ...and the faster speed patch I activated on the remote itself remains, even though it was never saved in the IR file?

3... so the patch is never saved in the IR file in RemoteMaster on my PC, it's just something you load onto the remote memory, it alters it and stays there, even when you reload the original IR settings (without the patch) from the PC back on the remote?

4. I can do all this with the USB serial cord attached, no need to disconnect while pressing CH+ for the faster speed?

5. Should I start by saving the brand new remote IR file by uploading from the actual remote and saving it before I make any changes, or use the version from the standard IR file I got from File-New-Remote Image, within RMIR itself?

Ok, that's enough questions, my head is starting to hurt! Hopefully I am on the right track as far as the patch "fooling" the remote memory to act a different way even though it's not saved in the IR file. I assume there is a way to remove it from the remote, but not sure I would want to unless there is a downside to having the remote set up that way going forward. I seem to remember reading about using extenders disabling remote learning features and maybe something else..

Thanks again. I'll have the remote from Amazon tomorrow but the USB cable is comming from China and will take a week or two.

Last edited by sti491; 01-06-2015 at 06:30 PM.
post #2837 of 2844 Old 01-06-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Guys, please take this to another thread, since it has nothing to do with the Harmony 900 anymore.
sti491 likes this.
post #2838 of 2844 Old 01-06-2015, 06:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just briefly closing the loop here. Any further questions, please post at hifi-remote.com as Scott said. I agree this is all way OT.

1. Correct
2. a. Use file new for practice. But start with a download from your remote when you do it for real.
2. b. Yep
2. c. Your last sentence exactly. Doesn't matter if you save the file or not, but it wouldn't hurt
2. d. Correct, just a temporary TV upgrade (we call device codes "upgrades") for loading the patch
3. Not quite. You can save it if you want. You do load it into the remote. But after it's done it's job, it can be removed (overwritten by your original file). It's not meant to stay in there permanently.
4. You DO need to disconnect to operate the remote.
5. See 2.a

The IR file (RMIR actually) is just how to save the remote config on your computer for loading again later or editing. "Download" copies the config file to your remote kind of like copying a file to a USB drive. You can save as many files as you want. I have hundreds of RMIR files.

Lastly, the latest Apple FDTI driver could be trouble. If you have issues, here's a solution:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=117369#117369
sti491 likes this.
post #2839 of 2844 Old 01-07-2015, 06:04 AM

Apologies for getting OT.

I'm really surprised other Harmony 900 owners don't have more issues with no macro capability. It's such a great remote it just seems intuitive it would have this capability.

Mdavej, I'll continue on the other forum. I started a thread titled "Harmony 900 Macro Method Using JP1 Fast Macro IR Learn", in case anyone on this forum wants to continue following.

Here is the the new link, where I do have some more questions and dialog for you mdavej:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/vi...=117385#117385

Thanks guys. AVS forum rocks...

Last edited by sti491; 01-07-2015 at 08:55 AM.
post #2840 of 2844 Old Today, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
All -

I have been using the Logitech 900 for several years now, however my A/V equipment and the blasters have always been in the same room.

I am now building a new house and the A/V shop I hired to run some cables talked me in to moving my A/V equipment to an unfinished area of my basement next to the family room. I kind of feel like the A/V shop was hoping for some issues that I'd need them to resolve later, with the purchase of more of their equipment.

Now that my A/V equipment will be hidden, I'm wondering how I'll be able to use my Harmony 900 remote to turn on my TV that's still located in the family room.

So for clarity, my TV and speakers/subwoofers will be the only equipment in the family room. Everything else is in the unfinished part of the basement, which includes by AVR, Blu-ray, DirecTv box, PS3, and all parts of the Harmony 900 except for obviously the actual remote.

Maybe I don’t fully remember how the 900 works, but I believe that the actual remote would send an RF signal to the main blaster, which in turn would then send out an IR signal to the pieces of A/V equipment (AVR, TV, etc). Since there’s no line of sight from any of the mini IR blasters to the TV, I don’t see how my TV could turn on.

Can the 900 send an RF signal AND an IR signal? This would work in my setup so the TV turns on with the IR signal, and all other equipment is turned on via the RF signal.

If the 900 can’t send both signals, what other options do I have? I really hope I didn’t need to run some wire through the walls for connecting a mini IR blaster in the family room to the main blaster in the unfinished room.

Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Front Speakers - B&W CM9, Center - B&W CMC2, Surrounds - B&W CM5
SVS PB12+, SVS PB13 Ultra
post #2841 of 2844 Old Today, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes the 900 send both signals. You check the devices that you want operated via RF so in your case just don't have the TV checked. You of course then have to point the 900 at the TV until it turns on or off using IR. This is exactly the way that I use mine.
Sweetmeat likes this.
post #2842 of 2844 Old Today, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrike645 View Post
Yes the 900 send both signals. You check the devices that you want operated via RF so in your case just don't have the TV checked. You of course then have to point the 900 at the TV until it turns on or off using IR. This is exactly the way that I use mine.
Awesome, thank you for easing my mind!

Samsung TV - PN59D8000 - wall mounted
HW50ES projector w/electric Elite 120" ceiling mounted screen (drops in front of plasma)
Receiver - Yamaha RX-A3000
Front Speakers - B&W CM9, Center - B&W CMC2, Surrounds - B&W CM5
SVS PB12+, SVS PB13 Ultra
post #2843 of 2844 Old Today, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 114
He must have changed the color in the post. Those of us using AVS Classic Black background can see nothing.
post #2844 of 2844 Unread Today, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had this remote for awhile. It can be a bit flaky and I find myself hitting the help button and turning things on manually a few times a week.

What is better out there with macros, easy programming and such. This does the job most of the time but I wouldn't mind upgrading if there was something better.

"It's not a lie if you believe it's the truth" --- George Costanza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page