AVS Forum banner

Official Logitech Harmony 900 thread

466K views 3K replies 453 participants last post by  mogrub 
#1 ·
#3 ·
OK, what's the deal with the mini blasters? Is that stupid idea going to be what keeps me from upgrading my 890? I currently have four zones that I need to control and the unit has three flashers (main and two mini blasters) instead of the previous nine (eight emitters and one flasher). Does the base unit still accept 3.5mm connections for direct IR connections or stick-on emitters? You would think that with the PS3 adapter they would make use if its 2.5mm port with this new remote.

Also, what about Z-wave or zigbee?

Edit: I watched the CNET review. They say the RF system is significantly better, but I don't agree. There are two ports on the back of the main blaster for the two mini blasters. So I would assume you could plug any IR emitter into those ports, but you still only have two ports. If they are so much better then you could probably plug in four mini blasters into the 890's RF extender. The only thing that would be "better" is that you don't have to plug a USB cable into the RF extender for updates.

Also, with the non-stick-on emitter route you lose control of porting IR through individual ports to control devices that have identical IR commands such as multiple DVRs.

How disappointing after waiting so long...

#4 ·
Yeah agree, what if you have 3-4 satellite receivers at one location, how would you control each of those individually using 3-4 harmony 900s...

#5 ·
Does anyone know if the RF technology is more reliable than the current logitech RF repeaters (which are one way and somewhat unreliable). Would be nice if the new RF was bidirectional for confirmation of transmission and had extended range.

Also, can we assume the software on this unit is as solid as the One software and not flakey like the 1000 series software?

With those two items addressed (more reliable RF and solid software), this is a no brainer for me. I'm dying to get rid of the 1000 and had been considering a 890, until now.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/16979955

OK, what's the deal with the mini blasters? Is that stupid idea going to be what keeps me from upgrading my 890? I currently have four zones that I need to control and the unit has three flashers (main and two mini blasters) instead of the previous nine (eight emitters and one flasher). Does the base unit still accept 3.5mm connections for direct IR connections or stick-on emitters? You would think that with the PS3 adapter they would make use if its 2.5mm port with this new remote.

Also, what about Z-wave or zigbee?

Edit: I watched the CNET review. They say the RF system is significantly better, but I don't agree. There are two ports on the back of the main blaster for the two mini blasters. So I would assume you could plug any IR emitter into those ports, but you still only have two ports. If they are so much better then you could probably plug in four mini blasters into the 890's RF extender. The only thing that would be "better" is that you don't have to plug a USB cable into the RF extender for updates.

Also, with the non-stick-on emitter route you lose control of porting IR through individual ports to control devices that have identical IR commands such as multiple DVRs.

How disappointing after waiting so long...

for devices in one area, the blaster is much better than the RF extender...

can't seem to find it, but one beta tester took apart the new blaster and it has 4 IR blasters inside it firing in all directions...the range/strength is amazing, and it bounces everywhere...

can be problematic for those with two identical devices that don't allow for assiging different IR addresses...

the 900 is compatible with up to 5 'main blasters'...

the back has two 2.5mm mono connections. if you could find/create a 2.5mm to 3.5mm mono cable, you could still connect directly to a device...also, I suppose if you have the existing blaster tip cables, it you get a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter, they should probably work....if you do this, you can once again put one on port a and the other on port b for separate control.

I was very hesitant about the new blasters as well, but in the end I'm quite happy with them.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbarron /forum/post/16980056

Does anyone know if the RF technology is more reliable than the current logitech RF repeaters (which are one way and somewhat unreliable). Would be nice if the new RF was bidirectional for confirmation of transmission and had extended range.

Also, can we assume the software on this unit is as solid as the One software and not flakey like the 1000 series software?

With those two items addressed (more reliable RF and solid software), this is a no brainer for me. I'm dying to get rid of the 1000 and had been considering a 890, until now.

I assume you mean firmware...the software on the computer is the same for all remotes (although the 890pro interface is quite different)...the firmware is pretty rock solid. I've used the 880, One, 890, 510, 1100 and 900....the 900 is on par with stability of the One. We're seeing a quirk right now about the initial IR/RF not firing immediately after an update, but it works fine after that. I'm sure it'll be fixed in the near future.

no bi-directional...that would require a way for the devices to communicate back...and no native IR device has that

#10 ·
Wannabe - yes firmware ("software" resident on remote).

On bidirrectional RF, I do not mean bidirrectional from the end device; I mean the RF extender confirms to the remote that it has correctly received an IR command for transmission to the end device. Simply put, proper handshaking between the remote and extender. I get the sense that the 1000 with RF simply sends out the RF to the extender and if it gets there, it gets there, if not, not.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary /forum/post/16980099

as far as the 3-4 harmony 900 comment...not sure why you would have 3-4 harmony 900s trying to work together...but it wouldn't be needed....also, only the 890Pro allows for multiple remotes in one account/setup...because it's the only remote that can communicate with other remotes. so you could setup two 890Pros in one account and have them paired with the same extender and control the same devices...one remote would know what state the devices are 'expected to be in' based on the other remotes current activity

don't wanna get off topic but it's for different zones, I'm putting all hardware in one location, so each zone I would like to have it's own remote, but If you can change the IR address as you said, it should not be an issue....

But would I need a separate RF unit for each h900..or will each h900 be able to connect to that one unit....i'm guessing separate rf units :/

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/16980151

It just looks like Logitech had too many support calls about people not putting the stick-on emitters in the correct location. They should have at least added some extra ports on the back then I would be happy.

splitters my man...no one says you can't use an adapter to split the port into two connections each

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj /forum/post/16980174

Does the software allow the two ports to be assigned directly assigned per device?

It also looks like I would need to switch out my Z-wave to IRLinc http://www.amazon.com/Receiver-Contr...9996220&sr=8-1

software...no

remote itself...yup

the entire RF setup is now a guided walkthrough on the remote itself...I'm using two main blasters. you can first assign a device to blaster 1 or 2 (or 5 if you have that many) and then you can also assign devices to specific ports.

#17 ·
I didn't see it anywhere but is there a release or availability date?

Also, Wannabe mentioned in the Logitech blog that they included a sleep timer...nice addition on top of everything else.

My system setup isnt complicated, everything is in the entertainment center and i think this should work perfect without having to run another cable. The $400 is a bit steep tho!

Square...time for new icons?

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadYOacTve /forum/post/16980609

Also, Wannabe mentioned in the Logitech blog that they included a sleep timer...nice addition on top of everything else.

My system setup isnt complicated, everything is in the entertainment center and i think this should work perfect without having to run another cable. The $400 is a bit steep tho!

square has a lot of new icons ready...just not published...we needed icons to beta test

the way logitech typically handles new remotes is announcement = ship date from logitech to the stores...so keep an eye out

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadYOacTve /forum/post/16980609

i'm updating the site in the next day or two to host the new 900 favorite icons database.

i can tell you already that the screen resolution on the new 900 is much improved and the new icons look fantastic (imho). i've been using the beta product for awhile and the resolution combined with the nice animated screen transitions make for a very sharp user experience.

#22 ·
Hey Square,

Hope all is well.

This only makes the decision easier! Just gotta wait for a nice price from Amazon or another retailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes /forum/post/16980849

i'm updating the site in the next day or two to host the new 900 favorite icons database.

i can tell you already that the screen resolution on the new 900 is much improved and the new icons look fantastic (imho). i've been using the beta product for awhile and the resolution combined with the nice animated screen transitions make for a very sharp user experience.

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes /forum/post/16980849

sounds really nice what do you think of it in comparison to the 1100 aside from the fact they are completely different remotes. i need a second rf remote and i was all set on getting the 1100 now i'm debating between going with it and the 900. I assume the 900 still works with the old rf extender as well

#25 ·
i'm a huge fan of the harmony one's form factor. i like one-handed, wand-style, remotes and the one's-- and now the 900's-- industrial design is well done and ergonomic.

i would definitely recommend the 900 over the 1100 for those reasons. if you prefer a tablet style remote then i'd stick with the 1100.

the caveat is that the 900 rf sensors are new and i don't believe they will work with the old rf extenders. i'd double check that before your final decision as i don't have older rf in house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydiplomat /forum/post/16981098

sounds really nice what do you think of it in comparison to the 1100 aside from the fact they are completely different remotes. i need a second rf remote and i was all set on getting the 1100 now i'm debating between going with it and the 900. I assume the 900 still works with the old rf extender as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.