post #271 of 689 Old 11-24-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlGroup View Post

Great remote; doesn't play well with others.

I may be missing something obvious - feel free to point that out. I obviously didn't do enough research and wish I had known more about Activity-based remotes before buying this unit. I have now returned the unit and plan to buy something that isn't Activity-based, so that I can buy two or more.

yes. you are. the "obvious" is "hide the other remotes"... this is the "simpleist and best" solution...

anything that does "state tracking" (which is a big bullet point for the harmony) isn't going to be too happy when you introduce another remote into the equation...

i guess i have a question... why do you need 2 remotes in the same room?

second question... would it really be that hard for guests to "hit the help button"?

you can do what you want to do with other remotes (at least for any components that have discretes for everything), but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me... even those of us who use remotes that are "non-activity" based make them mimic an "activity based" remote, as it "makes sense" for things to work that way...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 689 Old 11-26-2010, 06:51 PM

Liked: 10
Does the remote automatically stop charging when it is complete? Can I leave it plugged in all night and not risk burning it up?

My 700 stopped dead today with no warning and created a mess... I couldn't get out of the Netflix search site. I really hate that there is no warning, in spite of what I have read.

TIA... for any responses.
post #273 of 689 Old 11-26-2010, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmisfit View Post
Does the remote automatically stop charging when it is complete? Can I leave it plugged in all night and not risk burning it up?

My 700 stopped dead today with no warning and created a mess... I couldn't get out of the Netflix search site. I really hate that there is no warning, in spite of what I have read.

TIA... for any responses.
Sure I charge mine overnight or when I'm at work.

Mine gives a visual "battery low" warning in the LCD window. It does not, however, ever say "fully charged" just blinks the battery charging icon forever. I just assume an overnight charge is full
post #274 of 689 Old 11-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post
Sure I charge mine overnight or when I'm at work.

Mine gives a visual "battery low" warning in the LCD window. It does not, however, ever say "fully charged" just blinks the battery charging icon forever. I just assume an overnight charge is full
Thanks so much!!! I'm not sure mine is full, though I left it in 3 hrs.. It seems slow; even though the icon looked full, it was still active, so I think I'll plug it back in overnight. Thanks again!
post #275 of 689 Old 11-26-2010, 08:43 PM

Mine gave a 'battery full' notice when I charged mine the first time. It took about 3 hours. I'm still on that first charge (been over a month now!), so I dunno what it'll do when it runs out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #276 of 689 Old 11-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

i guess i have a question... why do you need 2 remotes in the same room?

I could have explained this more clearly - I have a fairly large viewing room, and I don't like searching the room for "the remote", so I really want one remote that stays near my chair. For that to work, I need another fully-functional remote that can be anywhere else in the room. Also, it's not very practical to pass the remote across a large room. Call me lazy, but not having to get out of my chair to change channels is the whole point of having remote control.

In a smaller room, where the guests can share one remote (and keep track of it), I'm sure that the 700 would be a great solution.
post #277 of 689 Old 11-27-2010, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 352
I use multiple remotes with harmony too, and it's really not a big deal. I just use discretes as much as possible, and block the IR window when I know a certain activity or macro could get things out of sync. Pretty much the same thing you have to do with multiple remotes of any type. At least all you have to do on harmony is press the help button without trying to figure out how to fix things manually. The alternative is no state tracking, in which case things would ALWAYS be out of sync. So pick your poison.

post #278 of 689 Old 11-29-2010, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good evening all ,

I have programmed my harmony 700 to shut down the Optoma HD20 projector but the command does not execute properly, the dialogue box appear on screen but the second command to confirm does not work. But if i press help then the action execute properly.

Anyone know how to program it so it will work when i press the shut off button on the remote.

My other option was to try to move the projector last on the list on command but could not find any command related to that task

Thanks for your input

Alain

Alain Pilon

Lasalle, Québec Canada
post #279 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon View Post
Good evening all ,
I have programmed my harmony 700 to shut down the Optoma HD20 projector but the command does not execute properly, the dialogue box appear on screen but the second command to confirm does not work. But if i press help then the action execute properly.
Anyone know how to program it so it will work when i press the shut off button on the remote.
Alain
1) Go to Devices -> -> Settings -> check "Re-do setup for this device" -> Next -> click "Next" until you get to the "Which command will Power Off your device?" screen -> check "My device needs more than one command to turn it on and off.", select two "power off/toggle" commands then go "Next" until the end of the setup.

2) Another option would be to add a action at the end of the activity that uses the projector.
-> Settings -> Review the settings for this Activity -> select "Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity." -> Next -> Save -> then go through options selecting what needed and clicking "Next" until you get to the "Custom actions" screen. There you click "Add" at the "Add Action for the Activity stops" (you must select from the drop-down list) , then you check "Send this infrared Command", select "power off/toggle" from the drop-down list -> Next -> Save -> check "Yes, these settings are correct." -> Next -> Done -> Done.

One of these two should be enough.
Don't forget to update remote.
post #280 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 PM

I just got this yesterday and have it setup, but have a question. I'm sure I'm making this harder than it needs to be, but would appreciate some help.

For my "watch tv" button, I have it assigned to turn on the Explorer 8300HD DVR box and my tv which is great for the kids since they don't need to use the AVR for sound to watch tv all the time, the tv speakers are fine.

Is there a way I can add a button to turn on my AVR in TV/SAT mode, so I can take advantage of listening to my speakers while also keeping the original "watch tv" the way it is?
post #281 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Just make another Watch TV activity using your AVR for sound and rename it to "Watch TV AVR" or something like that when you're done. Existing activities will remain intact. FWIW, I have twenty something activities on my 700, with 2 versions of each for using tv sound or AVR sound.

post #282 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Just make another Watch TV activity using your AVR for sound and rename it to "Watch TV AVR" or something like that when you're done. Existing activities will remain intact. FWIW, I have twenty something activities on my 700, with 2 versions of each for using tv sound or AVR sound.

Thanks, I didn't know I could do that. I only saw the one "Watch TV" activity buttons. I'm quite new to the remote, but I'll try and figure that out.
post #283 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post

Thanks, I didn't know I could do that. I only saw the one "Watch TV" activity buttons. I'm quite new to the remote, but I'll try and figure that out.

Any activities besides the hard buttons show up on the LCD. You can have as many activities as you want. Next you'll want to change the order, which is detailed somewhere in this thread.

post #284 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the help, got it to work, but now when I hit the "Watch TV" button at the top above the lcd display it turns on the tv with the AVR. How would I go about getting the hard button on top to only turn on the DVR and TV like originally setup?
post #285 of 689 Old 11-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysnake View Post

Thanks for the help, got it to work, but now when I hit the "Watch TV" button at the top above the lcd display it turns on the tv with the AVR. How would I go about getting the hard button on top to only turn on the DVR and TV like originally setup?

When setting up there is a tab for those 3 hard buttons that you can assign whatever activity you want. Just go there and use the pull down to pick the correct Watch TV.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #286 of 689 Old 12-02-2010, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
so i just got this remote - on sale at amazon for 75 - seems great from what i have seen so far. when i was setting up the activities for tv and dvd/bluray the first action it wants is for my tv but i am using a projector that is hooked up in the hdmi out input on my avr and harmony is not giving be the option for that just hdmi 1, 2, 3 etc. is there a way to have the projector start up with my activited with this type of connection? if not is there a way to by pass this as an activity step and just have it turn on my avr and bluray?

thanks

also what are the colored buttons for and how do i set them up

post #287 of 689 Old 12-02-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

so i just got this remote - on sale at amazon for 75 - seems great from what i have seen so far. when i was setting up the activities for tv and dvd/bluray the first action it wants is for my tv but i am using a projector that is hooked up in the hdmi out input on my avr and harmony is not giving be the option for that just hdmi 1, 2, 3 etc. is there a way to have the projector start up with my activited with this type of connection? if not is there a way to by pass this as an activity step and just have it turn on my avr and bluray?

thanks

also what are the colored buttons for and how do i set them up

1) when you add a new activity you might want to use the "No - manually add an Activity to my setup." option instead of the automatically one. This gives you more options, like selecting the devices that you need to turn on with that activity and the inputs you need to select for the devices.
2) if you are talking about red/green/yellow/blue buttons, they are usually used for teletext, but you can assign them any command you need by pressing "Customize buttons" on Activities section of the software or pressing "Settings -> Customize buttons" on Devices section.
post #288 of 689 Old 12-02-2010, 04:54 PM

Liked: 11
The color buttons are actually for people who use Xbox, Tivo, Direct TV, cable boxes, ... These 4 color buttons are very common and they have different usage in those devices. Harmony provides them so you can assign the same functions as in those devices.
post #289 of 689 Old 12-03-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

The color buttons are actually for people who use Xbox, Tivo, Direct TV, cable boxes, ... These 4 color buttons are very common and they have different usage in those devices. Harmony provides them so you can assign the same functions as in those devices.

Right!
What is important to know is the fact that you can customize them as you wish, assigning any command or sequence that you consider useful.
post #290 of 689 Old 12-03-2010, 07:13 AM
MLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

so i just got this remote - on sale at amazon for 75 - seems great from what i have seen so far.

How did you manage that? When I go to Amazon it comes up for much more.

Thanks,
Len
post #291 of 689 Old 12-03-2010, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
great thanks! i saw where i can customize the buttons - not sure that i will have a use but i may think of something. perhaps i can use one button to turn on the lights and another off - i did not want that in an activity and it may able a bit easier than going to the menu.

also it made my zone 2 on my avr a separate device - is that normal - if i need the 6th device to be something else the i will get rid of the zone 2 and see if i can access it via the reg avr menu.

as for the price i think that was a turkey weekend deal. the day before turkey day it was 85 then i the day after it dropped to 75 :-) so that made my decision.

post #292 of 689 Old 12-07-2010, 05:55 AM

I just picked up the 700. Is there a way to put the Favorite Channels button on Page 2 instead of Page 1?
post #293 of 689 Old 12-09-2010, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I believe you're stuck with it on p1.

follow icon updates, av & remote info on
and

post #294 of 689 Old 12-13-2010, 11:08 AM

Recently got this remote, I love it!
post #295 of 689 Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 AM

Recently got a Harmony 700, which is working well, but have a question--I see comments on here from people whose remotes don't need recharging for a month. But ours needs it every 5-7 days, max. Sometimes 3-4. And it is in use about 1-2 hours/day on most days, and at most maybe 2-3 hours in any one day. Is this normal?
post #296 of 689 Old 12-14-2010, 12:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. View Post

Recently got a Harmony 700, which is working well, but have a question--I see comments on here from people whose remotes don't need recharging for a month. But ours needs it every 5-7 days, max. Sometimes 3-4. And it is in use about 1-2 hours/day on most days, and at most maybe 2-3 hours in any one day. Is this normal?

I can go roughly 3 to 4 weeks before recharging as well (depending on usage). The nice thing about the 700 is the batteries are replaceable AA's. Mine came with an off-brand of the newer chemistry low self-discharge (LSD) batteries. These types of cells are much better than the older generation Nimh because they will hold their charge while not being used.

If you think your batteries are bad, you could purchase some commonly-available LSD batteries such as the Sanyo Eneloops (AA, 2000 mah). I believe Rayovac and Energizer are now selling LSD batteries as well.

Another thing you could check is the output of the wall charger, its rated at 5V and 1A (a standard USB charger).

Finally, make sure the 700 turns off after you set it down. If you shake it, you'll hear a faint rattling sound inside the remote as if there's a loose pebble inside ... I believe that's the sensor which detects you've picked up or put down the remote. Hopefully that's working (I seem to recall there's a related option for power-down delay in the programming app).

post #297 of 689 Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine goes a couple of months under 2-3 hours use per day. I have my back light set to turn off after 15 seconds. Sounds like a button could be stuck on. Check all the buttons. If they're OK, I'd get a replacement.

post #298 of 689 Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I first got mine I had a similar experience and called Logitech. There is a power reset combo that they had me do to fix the issue .. but for the life of me I can't find the info they sent me, I thought it was in this thread. If I find it I will post it

But yeah, I charge mine like .... every month and a half I guess?

EDIT:

I found it!

---------------

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced some difficulties with your Harmony remote. It is possible a firmware upgrade in Safe Mode will resolve the issue. Please update the firmware on the remote and then re-update the configuration to the remote. To do so see below:

Try placing the remote into "Safe Mode". If you are not able to do this please continue to the next section.
1. Remove the battery from the remote.
2. Hold down the "Off" button on the remote and plug the remote into the USB cable.
3. Continue holding the "Off" button until the remote says "Safe Mode"

Update the firmware on the remote.
1. Login to your account through the Harmony remote software.
2. Click 'Downloads' and then select 'Firmware'
3. Follow the prompts to upgrade the firmware on the remote.
* Please note continue the Firmware upgrade process even if the software says you already have the latest firmware

Once you are finish, please update the remote with the configuration on the account by Clicking update remote.
post #299 of 689 Old 12-14-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

When I first got mine I had a similar experience and called Logitech. There is a power reset combo that they had me do to fix the issue .. but for the life of me I can't find the info they sent me, I thought it was in this thread. If I find it I will post it

But yeah, I charge mine like .... every month and a half I guess?

EDIT:

I found it!

---------------

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced some difficulties with your Harmony remote. It is possible a firmware upgrade in Safe Mode will resolve the issue. Please update the firmware on the remote and then re-update the configuration to the remote. To do so see below:

Try placing the remote into "Safe Mode". If you are not able to do this please continue to the next section.
1. Remove the battery from the remote.
2. Hold down the "Off" button on the remote and plug the remote into the USB cable.
3. Continue holding the "Off" button until the remote says "Safe Mode"

Update the firmware on the remote.
1. Login to your account through the Harmony remote software.
2. Click 'Downloads' and then select 'Firmware'
3. Follow the prompts to upgrade the firmware on the remote.
* Please note continue the Firmware upgrade process even if the software says you already have the latest firmware

Once you are finish, please update the remote with the configuration on the account by Clicking update remote.

Thanks, this is good to know. I have had mine for about two months and have to charge it weekly. Also seems to get very hot when charging as well. Love the remote tho, came from an 880 and really like the 700 much more. Just feels right.
post #300 of 689 Old 12-16-2010, 12:36 AM

Liked: 11
Is it any way to break this stupid limit to 6 devices ?
I wrote a email to Logitech with that why they limit this remote by software only to 6 devices is it stupid, low memory I don't think so, should me minimum 8 devices!!!

Second stupid is limit to only 8 charcters in label in favorite channels why is not 12 characters like in devices names.

Third stupid is it not possible to reorder/regroup activities on pages in custom way, I want to have on first page Activities like "Watch TV", "Listen a radio", for now Watch TV I have on third page :/ (in Polish language "Oglądaj TV"

Exepct this third issuses remote is great and I'm love it, super comfortable and very good rubber buttons with very silent click.

Sony 46HX850 | Sony 46Z4500 | Onkyo 905, Monitor Audio RX8 + RX LCR | Logitech Z-680 | HTPC: (Core i5 4570S, Asus H87M-PRO, 4GB, Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, WD20EARS, Pionner BDC-202, Antec Fusion Remote Black)
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page