Harmony 700 - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 681 Old 01-22-2011, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't seem to find a way to rename an activity with the web software?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 01:19 AM

Probably not a supported feature of an older version of the software.

Why not download the latest software onto your pc?

The Version I'm using is 7.7.0 and it has an option to 'Rename' under the activity settings.
post #333 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 07:52 AM

Do you have a link to that software? I purchased this yesterday and no software was packed in with the remote. I was directed to www.logitech.com/myharmony. Following the path for setup of a 700 creates an account and runs a web app. That app was fine for basic set up but doesn't seem to have many of the options I see being discussed in this thread.
post #334 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 08:09 AM

Give this a try http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support-downloads

I downloaded mine last year some time, and honestly don't remember what I did to download it.
post #335 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 10:05 AM

So here's a question for the 700 fans out there--

Got a 700 maybe 3 months ago. It's set up to control 6 devices. After the usual futzing around, got it to work correctly, and reliably, with one (or two, depending on how you look at it) exceptions. One, the thing would run out of juice every 3-4 days of what I would call moderate use (wife using it while in our gym for maybe 90 minutes/day). LCD screen is NOT on for all that time--just when she punches a button (although she punches a lot of buttons, as she watches almost exclusively DirecTV recordings on an HD DVR.) Two, the remote would give no warning at all when it was getting low on charge--the very first time we'd get a low battery warning, the remote would cease function. THAT was a true PITA.

We did all the rebooting, reloading, etc., both in and out of safe mode, and these two issues did not change. Logitech agreed that this sort of battery life was not standard, that I should expect maybe 3-5 weeks between charges and more time than basically no time between a low battery warning and no function, and sent me a new 700 under warranty.

The new one does exactly the same thing. Now, since Logitech told me to keep the old one, I've got 2 700 remotes--one is "deactivated" but still works on the set-up. The second one is fully activated (and the update remote feature was sweet, I will say that).

So now we can do one of three things: 1) what we're doing now, which is basically always keeping one unit charged so when the other one craps out, we can switch units without too much hassle, 2) try to get Logitech to send us a One this time on a warranty claim, for its rechargeable cradle, or 3) buy a One anyway.

It looks like the programming will switch easily from 700 to One using "new remote", so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts? Do others have the same issues? The fact that the new one is doing exactly the same thing as the first one has me wondering whether Logitech's time estimate of weeks is just wrong, but this board and Logitech's own forum seemed to confirm for me earlier that 4+ weeks was standard...
post #336 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer65 View Post

Can't seem to find a way to rename an activity with the web software?

Click Customize. The bottom option on the next page is Rename.
post #337 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Bruce,

FWIW, I get 3 months on a charge on my 700 with backlight time set to 10 seconds. Could there be any seismic activity or a stuck button keeping your remote on all the time?

In a couple of weeks you won't be update your "deactivated" remote anymore, but you can continue using it as long as you like.
post #338 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 10:53 AM

Thanks HG57. I did have to start from scratch to use that software but it did have the re-name as well as the ability to add additional commands for a specific devices in an activity. the myharmony app doesn't have those features. mdavej, there is no customize button on that software. You are limited to picking your devices, telling it which one controls the volume and what input should be selected.
post #339 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. View Post

Got a 700 maybe 3 months ago. It's set up to control 6 devices. After the usual futzing around, got it to work correctly, and reliably, with one (or two, depending on how you look at it) exceptions. One, the thing would run out of juice every 3-4 days of what I would call moderate use (wife using it while in our gym for maybe 90 minutes/day). LCD screen is NOT on for all that time--just when she punches a button (although she punches a lot of buttons, as she watches almost exclusively DirecTV recordings on an HD DVR.) Two, the remote would give no warning at all when it was getting low on charge--the very first time we'd get a low battery warning, the remote would cease function. THAT was a true PITA.

We did all the rebooting, reloading, etc., both in and out of safe mode, and these two issues did not change. Logitech agreed that this sort of battery life was not standard, that I should expect maybe 3-5 weeks between charges and more time than basically no time between a low battery warning and no function, and sent me a new 700 under warranty.

The new one does exactly the same thing. Now, since Logitech told me to keep the old one, I've got 2 700 remotes--one is "deactivated" but still works on the set-up. The second one is fully activated (and the update remote feature was sweet, I will say that).

So now we can do one of three things: 1) what we're doing now, which is basically always keeping one unit charged so when the other one craps out, we can switch units without too much hassle, 2) try to get Logitech to send us a One this time on a warranty claim, for its rechargeable cradle, or 3) buy a One anyway.

It looks like the programming will switch easily from 700 to One using "new remote", so that shouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts? Do others have the same issues? The fact that the new one is doing exactly the same thing as the first one has me wondering whether Logitech's time estimate of weeks is just wrong, but this board and Logitech's own forum seemed to confirm for me earlier that 4+ weeks was standard...

Check back through this thread I have posted their directions for doing a reset to fix charging.
post #340 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 12:46 PM

Got a Harmony 700 yesterday, set it up fine and added a few favorites too, no problem. Was pretty excited to dive in today and further customize the remote

Today I logged on and went into the software (via myharmony.com) to add some more favorites, icons, and to edit some device buttons, etc. I cannot do any of that. No matter which device I select, if I choose to edit buttons (those for the LCD) or favorites, it shows nothing. All the options and defaults displayed yesterday are now gone, it's all blank. When I go into the favorites and select my device (cable box) there is not even an option to do anything, only the option to "learn more" In short, I cannot add/edit or do anything with any of the buttons or favorites because everything is blank.

Also, where is the option to change the backlight setting. I don't see that anywhere yet I've seen several posts where people talk about changing it to conserve battery life.
post #341 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

Got a Harmony 700 yesterday, set it up fine and added a few favorites too, no problem. Was pretty excited to dive in today and further customize the remote

Today I logged on and went into the software (via myharmony.com) to add some more favorites, icons, and to edit some device buttons, etc. I cannot do any of that. No matter which device I select, if I choose to edit buttons (those for the LCD) or favorites, it shows nothing. All the options and defaults displayed yesterday are now gone, it's all blank. When I go into the favorites and select my device (cable box) there is not even an option to do anything, only the option to "learn more" In short, I cannot add/edit or do anything with any of the buttons or favorites because everything is blank.

Also, where is the option to change the backlight setting. I don't see that anywhere yet I've seen several posts where people talk about changing it to conserve battery life.

See my post above for downloading latest software to your PC.

Seems there is a problem with the Web-Based software
post #342 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 03:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Bruce,

FWIW, I get 3 months on a charge on my 700 with backlight time set to 10 seconds. Could there be any seismic activity or a stuck button keeping your remote on all the time?

In a couple of weeks you won't be update your "deactivated" remote anymore, but you can continue using it as long as you like.

I get long use out of it also, and my wife get's long use out of her 650.
post #343 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hg57 View Post

See my post above for downloading latest software to your PC.

Seems there is a problem with the Web-Based software

Ok, tried this but it didn't recognize any of the settings and wiped out all my devices and favorites so I had to start again - ugh... Logitech makes some nice products but man is their software screwed up - it's the same thing I've found with their mouse/keyboards. But I digress...

With the desktop software setup has some more options, such as the backlight timer, that I could not find anywhere with the online software, but now I cannot find where/how to access favorites and set them up and add icons.

Good GRIEF, why aren't all features and functions available in the various versions of the software???
post #344 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce M. View Post

Put a set of brand new regular AA batteries in there to test how long they last. I use regular batteries anyway so i don't have to worry about charging. They last a long time.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #345 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Ok, tried this but it didn't recognize any of the settings and wiped out all my devices and favorites so I had to start again - ugh... Logitech makes some nice products but man is their software screwed up - it's the same thing I've found with their mouse/keyboards. But I digress...

With the desktop software setup has some more options, such as the backlight timer, that I could not find anywhere with the online software, but now I cannot find where/how to access favorites and set them up and add icons.

Good GRIEF, why aren't all features and functions available in the various versions of the software???

Sorry, I'll have to remember it wipes out the current settings and mention that when offering this advice again.

In respect to adding favorites, the only one of my activities that offer 'Set Up Favorite Channels and add icons' is the 'Watch TV' activity. From the Activities tab, Click on Settings, then choose 'Set Up Favorite Channels and ad icons' .
post #346 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hg57 View Post

Sorry, I'll have to remember it wipes out the current settings and mention that when offering this advice again.

In respect to adding favorites, the only one of my activities that offer 'Set Up Favorite Channels and add icons' is the 'Watch TV' activity. From the Activities tab, Click on Settings, then choose 'Set Up Favorite Channels and ad icons' .

Actually I went back to the online version. There must have been a problem with Logitech's servers or something because everything was fine when I went back in a couple hours later. Still, it is odd with the different versions, and features like backlight setting lacking in the online version. That just makes no sense to me. However, I do think the UI is much batter and easier to use and is nice to have the drag and drop functionality.
post #347 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Actually I went back to the online version. There must have been a problem with Logitech's servers or something because everything was fine when I went back in a couple hours later. Still, it is odd with the different versions, and features like backlight setting lacking in the online version. That just makes no sense to me. However, I do think the UI is much batter and easier to use and is nice to have the drag and drop functionality.

Backlight setting IS in the online version. It actually has more features, like re-ordering activities and adding your own pronto codes.
post #348 of 681 Old 01-23-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:

Backlight setting IS in the online version. It actually has more features, like re-ordering activities and adding your own pronto codes.

Where is it? I don't see it anwhere. I have options for devices, activities, buttons and favorites but nowhere do I see anything for backlight, or for that matter anything for Pronto codes.
post #349 of 681 Old 01-24-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Backlight: Click My Remote Preferences at the top of the page, then Settings, then pick a Glow Timing option.

Pronto Codes: See my tips thread HERE.
post #350 of 681 Old 01-25-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Backlight: Click My Remote Preferences at the top of the page, then Settings, then pick a Glow Timing option.

Pronto Codes: See my tips thread HERE.

There is no such option in the myharmony.com software. As I posted previously, the only options are: activities, devices, buttons, and favorites. There is no Remote Preferences.
post #351 of 681 Old 01-25-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:

You also cannot reorder activites via the online software at myharmony - as confirmed by Logitech here.

I'm not sure where/how you are getting this information about the online version.
post #352 of 681 Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

No offense, but logitech support are morons. I reorder activities all the time.

I'm getting it from the online version. I'm not sure where else I would get it. Anyway, here are the links. Login first then click them.

Backlight
Pronto
Reorder

EDIT: Ahhh... I see where the confusion comes from. You are using new crappy website. You can't do anything on myharmony.com. You have to use members.harmonyremote.com. The myharmony site sucks to no end. You can't have more than 4 activities, or reorder them or enter pronto hex or adjust, timings, delays, repeats, backlight setting (apparently), or add additional commands to the start or end of activities. I found all those shortcomings during the beta. I'll never use that site again. On the other hand, you can do anything on the members site.
post #353 of 681 Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:

No offense, but logitech support are morons. I reorder activities all the time.

I'm getting it from the online version. I'm not sure where else I would get it. Anyway, here are the links. Login first then click them.

Backlight
Pronto
Reorder

EDIT: Ahhh... I see where the confusion comes from. You are using new crappy website. You can't do anything on myharmony.com. You have to use members.harmonyremote.com. The myharmony site sucks to no end. You can't have more than 4 activities, or reorder them or enter pronto hex or adjust, timings, delays, repeats, backlight setting (apparently), or add additional commands to the start or end of activities. I found all those shortcomings during the beta. I'll never use that site again. On the other hand, you can do anything on the members site.

Well, that would explain it - Logitech is out of control. For a company with such good hardware, they are a complete mess when it comes to software.

So this brings it to a total of 3 flavors of software to control a remote, that's just stupid. We have the desktop app, the myharmony.com online app, and now you have enlightened me that there is another members.harmonyremote.com online app. Why??? Ah, and all 3 require separate accounts!

FWIW, without these forums I would have, based on the contents of the box my 700 came in, had no idea anything other than myharmony.com even existed. That may be a clue to where they are steering things but I suspect it's probably just a relfection of how disjointed Logitech is. myharmony at present seems dumbed down compared to the other options but I will say that it is super easy and intuitive to use. It was a breeze to setup my remote, the devices, activities, and favorites, add icons, and drag and drop functions across screens for each device to reorder them. It's a shame though that the rest of the functionality doesn't exist there.
post #354 of 681 Old 01-26-2011, 11:06 PM

Quote:
So this brings it to a total of 3 flavors of software to control a remote, that's just stupid. We have the desktop app, the myharmony.com online app, and now you have enlightened me that there is another members.harmonyremote.com online app. Why??? Ah, and all 3 require separate accounts!

FWIW, without these forums I would have, based on the contents of the box my 700 came in, had no idea anything other than myharmony.com even existed. That may be a clue to where they are steering things but I suspect it's probably just a relfection of how disjointed Logitech is. myharmony at present seems dumbed down compared to the other options but I will say that it is super easy and intuitive to use. It was a breeze to setup my remote, the devices, activities, and favorites, add icons, and drag and drop functions across screens for each device to reorder them. It's a shame though that the rest of the functionality doesn't exist there.
I got my 700 today to replace a 659 from before Logitech bought them. There were several buttons that no longer worked and it would reboot itself depending on how I touched it.

You do not need 3 separate logins. The desktop app and the members.harmonyremote.com online app use the same login. Changes made in the desktop app are reflected in the members.harmonyremote.com online app and vice versa.

There do seem to be more options in the online app, ie the favorites channels that I could not find in the desktop app.

The the myharmony.com online app seemed totally useless to me with no options at all that I could find. It just allowed me to set up activities and I could only download to the remote from IE. I could not get it to work with Firefox.

I also had a lot of problems downloading to the 700 from members.harmonyremote.com online app. The most reliable for me is the desktop app.
post #355 of 681 Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I have two questions
Just picked up a 700 to replace an old MX-500. Using an activity such as turning on my cable box, TV and AV Receiver (Watch TV) is it possible to program the 700 to change the channel on the STB to a specific channel upon start up? I think it can, but I am not sure how. BTW, I set up under the Harmony Software 7.7 not myHarmony.com.
BTW, I was getting some Java errors today when attempting to sync the remote and I wound up having to delete devices and reinstall them to get it to work again. Whats up with that?

Thanks

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #356 of 681 Old 01-27-2011, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I have two questions
Just picked up a 700 to replace an old MX-500. Using an activity such as turning on my cable box, TV and AV Receiver (Watch TV) is it possible to program the 700 to change the channel on the STB to a specific channel upon start up?

Not sure if this works for the 700, but try the following:

Watch TV Activities:
- Settings
- Review the setting for this activity
- Yes, but I want to add more control
- Save, and next to Review Activities
- Then add action to change the channel

You may have to enter three commands to simulate entering the channel number.
post #357 of 681 Old 01-27-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

You can't do that using the myharmony.com setup (which should be avoided at all costs), but you can with the stand-alone software or members.harmonyremote.com.
post #358 of 681 Old 01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I got figured out, it actually was easy, I just over looked it! Thanks

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #359 of 681 Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I have two questions
Just picked up a 700 to replace an old MX-500. Using an activity such as turning on my cable box, TV and AV Receiver (Watch TV) is it possible to program the 700 to change the channel on the STB to a specific channel upon start up? I think it can, but I am not sure how. BTW, I set up under the Harmony Software 7.7 not myHarmony.com.
BTW, I was getting some Java errors today when attempting to sync the remote and I wound up having to delete devices and reinstall them to get it to work again. Whats up with that?

Thanks

My TWC Cable box has the ability to set up a certain channel on startup. It is in the settings menu in the same section as setting output resolution, aspect, etc. Mine turns on to ESPN HD on every power up. I'm sure yours has that option too.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #360 of 681 Old 02-01-2011, 06:50 AM

Liked: 12
I received this remote for Christmas and have it set up to control my various components.

I'm wondering what other suggestions you power users are using to make the Harmony even more useful?
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page