Harmony 700 - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 681 Old 02-01-2011, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not enough information. What equipment are you controlling with the remote? What would you like to do you are not currently able to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 681 Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 PM

How do you set the inter-key delay on this thing?

I go to devices > select device > change device settings

And all it lists are power settings and input settings, there's nothing there for inter-key delay.
post #363 of 681 Old 02-04-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Doesn't exist on myharmony, but on members.harmonyremote go click More Options, then Adjust Delays and enter your Inter-Key delay in milliseconds.
post #364 of 681 Old 02-04-2011, 04:20 PM

Damn I basically had to reprogram my remote all over again. Anyways, I adjusted that (set it to zero) and the remote lags a lot between key presses. Any way to fix this? I'm kinda regretting getting this remote because that lag is so annoying.
post #365 of 681 Old 02-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf View Post

Damn I basically had to reprogram my remote all over again. Anyways, I adjusted that (set it to zero) and the remote lags a lot between key presses. Any way to fix this? I'm kinda regretting getting this remote because that lag is so annoying.

Try Holding down the help key on the remote (about 5 seconds on mine), till you see the 'Delay Fixing' screen on the display. Then try changing the settings from there.
post #366 of 681 Old 02-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hg57 View Post

Try Holding down the help key on the remote (about 5 seconds on mine), till you see the 'Delay Fixing' screen on the display. Then try changing the settings from there.

I did that. It makes switching between activities faster when you drop those delays but there's still lag when say you scroll up a menu by hitting the arrow key repeatedly. Should be fixed by inter-key delay given the description, but it only fixes the problem a little bit, it doesn't get rid of it completely however.
post #367 of 681 Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^^^
I have seen where some have reported that setting to zero does not provide the desired effect. Try setting to a low number, but not zero.

Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AVR | Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S390 BD | Harmony 700| Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio | Polk T15 (front - L/R) | Polk OWM 3 (rear) | DefTech ProCenter1000 (center) | Polk DSW Pro 400 Sub
post #368 of 681 Old 02-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Ok, couple of questions on my 700.

1 - The first screen option is blank under watch movie activity and I cannot get it to accept anything. Even though I configured it to be setup for a DVD button and that is how it shows on myharmony.com, when I finish syncing that spot reamins blank (all buttons are shifted by one). Is this a reserved button like favorites is for watch tv, and if so why is it blank? And if not, why is it blank?

2 - When using the up/down arrows under the screen (mapped to page up/down on my dvr) sometimes the dvr doesn't respond. I've noticed that when that happens sometimes the remote appears to go into the macro for watch tv all on its own. I get the same screen I get when pressing the watch tv button. Once that goes away, the screen prompts by asking "did that fix the problem?". I have no idea what the heck is going on or why it's doing this. Any thoughts on this issue?
post #369 of 681 Old 02-07-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

1 - Many have reported this issue. Logitech acknowledged it's a bug. Nothing you can do until they fix it.

2 - Could be repeats which can't be adjusted on myharmony.com either.

The best solution is to never use myharmony.com again. Instead create a new account in the standalone software and set up your remote from scratch. Then you won't have problem 1 and you can fix problem 2.
post #370 of 681 Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

1 - Many have reported this issue. Logitech acknowledged it's a bug. Nothing you can do until they fix it.

2 - Could be repeats which can't be adjusted on myharmony.com either.

The best solution is to never use myharmony.com again. Instead create a new account in the standalone software and set up your remote from scratch. Then you won't have problem 1 and you can fix problem 2.

So #1 is a bug with myharmony.com and not the remote itself?

Can you elaborate on #2? What should I change to attempt to fix the problem? I'm not sure what repeats are and didn;t see that in the other (members.harmony.com) site. Also, why would anything with repeats throw the remote into some sort of troubleshooting mode or whatever it's doing?

Thx
post #371 of 681 Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

After re-reading your issue, I don't think repeats are the problem. Sounds like another bug or you're holding the remote so that the the activity buttons or the help button (causing the prompt) are getting pressed as well. If it's a bug, not using myharmony.com will fix it. If it's a hardware problem, your remote is defective and should be replaced. I've never heard of such an issue before with any harmony.

To adjust the repeats you go to troubleshooting in the software (not myharmony) and follow the prompts for your remote responding too little or too much.
post #372 of 681 Old 02-11-2011, 05:34 AM

Does anyone know how to increase the number of steps for a sequence? Currently it only allows for 5 steps, but I need to add about 4 more. I'm needing to program a sequence to turn closed captioning on and off for my Dish Net receiver. I can get the steps in to bring up the screen, then I have to manually key left, key down or up, then enter, and finally cancel. I would love to be able to do all of this with just 1 button press.

Cheers,
Kev

FTO13
"Forever the Optimist"
post #373 of 681 Old 02-11-2011, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I had exactly the same issue: toggling captions on Dish. I did it with 3 raw learns of 3 commands each, then use those in 3 sequence steps. Works every time.

For example, learn a new command called CC1 in raw mode, press Menu 8 7 very quickly, then learn CC2 in raw mode, press 1 Right OK, then learn Right OK Live in CC3. When you make your CC sequence, use commands CC1, CC2 and CC3. With this approach I'm able to do 15 step sequences. It takes some trial and error because the raw learn won't work if the gaps between commands are too big. So you have to be fast enough for the learn to work but not too fast for the device to respond.

Good luck.
post #374 of 681 Old 02-12-2011, 05:49 AM

Hey mdavej (My fellow Dish Net / 700 user),

Thanks for the suggestion. What is this "Raw Mode" and how do you get to it. Also thanks for the giving me the idea to use "View Live" instead of using multiple "cancel" steps. Makes way more sense.
Thanks again for your expertise and excellent tutelage.

Cheers,
Kev

FTO13
"Forever the Optimist"
post #375 of 681 Old 02-12-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Click custom at the bottom of the learn page to reveal a column of raw learn buttons.

I used Live to keep it short but it may not work so well toggling cc in the middle of a recording.
post #376 of 681 Old 02-13-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
OK, just got the 700 to replace my 670 [will not reverse] can I just plug in the 700 to the 670 program and update the remote or do I need to start all over and enter all the equipment model#'s.

Audyssey setup guide
post #377 of 681 Old 02-13-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes you can. It will bring over your devices and activities, but you'll have to redo any custom button mappings and sequences. A nice bonus is you keep all your devices, even if you have more than 6.
post #378 of 681 Old 02-14-2011, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, guys. I've had the 700 for a while now, but one of the annoyances is that I can't switch to an Activity w/o going thru the sequences. Currently, if I click on Watch TV while the TV is on, it will turn OFF the TV. I would like to switch activities w/o going thru the sequences. Is this possible?

Thanks.

Martin Logan Theos | Oppo BDP-103 | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Apple TV | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV | MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display
post #379 of 681 Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake9 View Post

Hi, guys. I've had the 700 for a while now, but one of the annoyances is that I can't switch to an Activity w/o going thru the sequences. Currently, if I click on Watch TV while the TV is on, it will turn OFF the TV. I would like to switch activities w/o going thru the sequences. Is this possible?

Thanks.

This should not be happening. One of the good things about the Harmony is that it remembers what is turned on and what is turned off. It typically doesn't turn off anything until you go to an activity where that device isn't used. I can't suggest why you are having this problem but you could review the power settings in the harmony setup for your devices. Worst case you can tell it to just leave the TV on and never turn it off, then you can turn it off yourself when you are through with it. I do this with my cable box but let the Harmony manage on/off for everything else.
post #380 of 681 Old 02-14-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Methinks the OP is using something other than Harmony to turn his TV on and off.
post #381 of 681 Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjex500 View Post
This should not be happening. One of the good things about the Harmony is that it remembers what is turned on and what is turned off. It typically doesn't turn off anything until you go to an activity where that device isn't used. I can't suggest why you are having this problem but you could review the power settings in the harmony setup for your devices. Worst case you can tell it to just leave the TV on and never turn it off, then you can turn it off yourself when you are through with it. I do this with my cable box but let the Harmony manage on/off for everything else.
I've read this before but I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. I don't believe the harmony "remembers" what's on or off. It just knows which devices are in which activities. From there I think it simply uses discreet power on and off commands instead of power toggle. It sends a power off to any device in a current activity that's not in the selected activty and a power on to any device in the selected activity that's not in the curent activity. AFAIK, it does this for all devices regardless as doing so would have no effect on power state by using discreet power on/off commands instead of power toggle.

Either way, if an activity is selected that requires a device to be on and it's already on, it shouldn't turn that device. At most it sends the power on command which would have no effect.
post #382 of 681 Old 02-14-2011, 05:07 PM

On a related note, is there a way to get back to the remote's "activity state" without having it cycle through the activity's commands again?

In other words, if I select "Watch Movie" then devices - AVR to do something I don't have a button for in the activity, is there a way to get the remote back to that activity without having it cycle all the commands again?
post #383 of 681 Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

To return to the last activity without running it again, just press the Activities or Devices button twice.

The remote does indeed "remember" device states. It sends discretes when possible, but for TOADs it sets a bit so it knows not to send another power toggle. Many devices don't have discrete power commands, so it can't strictly rely on discretes. If you use another remote or the power button on the device or don't use the master power off, it can't track, hence the behavior you see. This tracking logic also includes remembering which inputs are selected. So you should only use activities to change inputs.
post #384 of 681 Old 02-14-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

On a related note, is there a way to get back to the remote's "activity state" without having it cycle through the activity's commands again?

In other words, if I select "Watch Movie" then devices - AVR to do something I don't have a button for in the activity, is there a way to get the remote back to that activity without having it cycle all the commands again?

If I understand what you are asking- sometimes I might switch my equipment to another state using device mode or another remote. I just hold my hand over the end of the remote and then push the activity button. The remote doesn't know that the IR signals aren't reaching the equipment.

If you are asking how to get the remote switched back and forth between devices and activities, you just use the button underneath the screen to toggle back and forth.
post #385 of 681 Old 02-14-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN99 View Post

I've read this before but I'm not sure this is entirely accurate. I don't believe the harmony "remembers" what's on or off. It just knows which devices are in which activities. From there I think it simply uses discreet power on and off commands instead of power toggle. It sends a power off to any device in a current activity that's not in the selected activty and a power on to any device in the selected activity that's not in the curent activity.

Some devices don't have discrete on and off commands, just one command that toggles on/off. Also when you set up a device that maybe does have discrete codes, you have the choice of telling the remote to use toggle on/off command or discrete on/off commands. If you have discrete on/off commands then they are probably safer to use because there is less risk of getting the equipment out of sync with the remote.

My cable DVR unfortunately doesn't use discrete commands. Also if it is recording something and you tell it to turn off, it complains about it. So I set the remote to never turn this device off, just leave it on all the time. Then if I want to turn it off at night I do that manually. Then the next night when I turn everything on, if the cable DVR isn't already on I have to turn it on manually. None of this is a big deal for me, and if I leave the DVR on all the time then nothing confusing will happen when my wife is using the system and I'm not around.
post #386 of 681 Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks, bjex and mdave. After running thru the power options again, I discovered it was the DVR that was turning off when I hit Watch TV, not the TV itself. But after reading the above posts it seems many DVRs don't have the "discrete" thing which controls this.

If hitting the Activities button twice will work to get back to the activity then I will try that. Thanks.

Martin Logan Theos | Oppo BDP-103 | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Apple TV | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV | MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display
post #387 of 681 Old 02-15-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Quote:

But after reading the above posts it seems many DVRs don't have the "discrete" thing which controls this.

The word discrete, as used here, means there a device accepts one IR command for turn power on and a different (or separate or independent) command for turn power off, rather than, or in addition to, a single power on/off toggle. My TV accepts all three but I only use the discrete commands on the Harmony 700.

Quote:

If hitting the Activities button twice will work to get back to the activity then I will try that. Thanks.

The first press takes the remote back to the Devices screen. The second press toggles from the Devices screen to the Activities screen where, if you were previously in an Activity, you're put right back in that activity.

The remote doesn't have discrete commands (i.e., buttons) for controlling itself like this!
post #388 of 681 Old 02-17-2011, 06:38 AM

Trying to use the reportedly better site membersmyharmonyremote.com to set up my new 700 and could not get past the message run or save for
File: Connectivity.EZhex.
My system did not want to open it:
File Type: Unknown
Description: Windows does not recognize this file type

What should I do? Thanks in advance for any help!

I did go ahead and use the myharmony site to do a temp set up and the remote is working OK so far but I'm sure I'll want to tweek it some and I don't think that will be very easy as is from what I have read using myharmony.

My System
Plasma TV
Directv HDDVR
Yamaha AVR
Sony Blu-Ray
Sony 5 disc CD
post #389 of 681 Old 02-17-2011, 09:30 AM

The site you want is http://members.harmonyremote.com/Eas...r/UserHome.asp, not membersmyharmonyremote.com
post #390 of 681 Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I think you also have to install the standalone software for connectivity to work with that site.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page