Harmony 700 - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 685 Old 07-12-2011, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, I was looking for that info and couldn't find it. I'll have to look at all this tonight if I can stand being in my un-air-conditioned living room in the 95 degree heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 685 Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 PM

I had a chance to take a look and yes it does indeed run on a Mac. I'll have to get the cable and adapter now. First I'm going to take the 4 device remotes and the URC 8910 up to an air conditioned room and map out the keys. Too hot down here.
post #453 of 685 Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I was hoping to get a little help. When controlling my Panasonic TV with the Harmony, on certain sub-menus, the down button skips over several options. So for instance with the setup menu, there are 8 "choices. The remote starts on the first, and then by pressing down once it moves to the third choice, then fifth, then seventh. So I can't get to any of the even numbered choices. Any remedy for this?
post #454 of 685 Old 07-13-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 324
You need to adjust the repeats. With the stand-alone software start Troubleshooting and answer the questions. It's impossible with myharmony.com, so in that case call support and describe your problem.
post #455 of 685 Old 07-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelman View Post

Reset info here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=298

Mine also came with the GS YUASA's, which are also very high quality batteries just like the Eneloops.

Even after reset my batteries dont last more than 3 days. spoke to logitech today and now they are sending me new batteries.

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #456 of 685 Old 07-14-2011, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone having trouble with the Harmony software running on Mac? (v. 10.5). I just updated Java on my Mac via the software update, and now the Harmony software hangs when opened.

I remember something about an online application I can use in place of the software. Is that still an option?

MacBook Pro 15" w/Retina display | Apple TV | Oppo BDP-105D | Parasound New Classic 2125 | Martin Logan Theos | Toshiba 42RV530U HDTV |
post #457 of 685 Old 07-15-2011, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

You need to adjust the repeats. With the stand-alone software start Troubleshooting and answer the questions. It's impossible with myharmony.com, so in that case call support and describe your problem.

That is another reason to use the Harmony software application. That and the MyHarmony.com is not supported.

Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AVR | Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S390 BD | Harmony 700| Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio | Polk T15 (front - L/R) | Polk OWM 3 (rear) | DefTech ProCenter1000 (center) | Polk DSW Pro 400 Sub
post #458 of 685 Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Awesome -worked like a charm! Thanks.
post #459 of 685 Old 08-03-2011, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post
That is another reason to use the Harmony software application. That and the MyHarmony.com is not supported.
I actually prefer the set up with MyHarmony.com over that of the Harmony software application. I started out with th first, but had some issues regarding charging and switched to the Harmony software application site for a firmware upgrade. After the reset, I didn't like how it set up my remote, so I went back to MyHarmony.com, which now works without any issues.
post #460 of 685 Old 08-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
The favorites icon site is back up and running after a brief downtime caused by power outages at host's Texas facility. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Enjoy your icons and remotes!
,R

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #461 of 685 Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 PM
GDP

I'm having some real issues programming the activity buttons. I don't want or need the Listen to Music button to do anything; I want it nonfunctional. How can I do this? I removed my iPod dock from my system because I'm using an HTPC now and there's no point in having an iPod dock when my computer is already hooked up. I already have a Computer activity programmed in but I need that in the More Activities section, not a hard button I can't rename. Aside from all of this I find it's really easy to accidentally press an activity button while already in another activity so the less buttons programmed the better. It's annoying if I'm watching something on TV and all of a sudden my AVR switches to a different input out of nowhere because I accidentally pressed an activity button.

EDIT: OK pretty much as soon as I made this post I figured out my answer: I added a random device that's not in my system to the remote (a dummy device), removed all the button functions in the Customize Buttons menu, then added a new Generic Activity to the remote using just the dummy device. Then I added that fake activity to the Listen to Music button and voila! Nothing really happens when I press Listen to Music!
It would still be better if nothing but the backlight happened with the button though, if anyone knows a better workaround.
I love finding workarounds to these kinds of things. The biggest headache was trying to get my HTPC, TV, and AVR all in one Activity where I can have the TV and AVR on separately, without turning on the AVR at the start since I don't use the audio from my HTPC all the time when I'm surfing the 'net. But now it's flawless.
post #462 of 685 Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Advanced Member

guys a query,

I have a 700. I'm a user who does not need Sequences. In my case am i better off using Myharmony and get 8 devices instead of Harmony 7.7 Software and get only 6 ?

Is there any other benefit of the Harmony 7.7 Software over Myharmony ?

Thanks,

Rana

post #463 of 685 Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Besides sequences, the 7.7 software does the following that myharmony cannot:

- Unlimited number of activities, not just one per device
- Adjust backlight time to save battery life
- Adjust delays and repeats for devices that respond poorly or need more time after power up
- Add more functions to the start/end of each activity
- Change the order of activities
- Import one pronto hex code

Those are all critical to me, but may not be an issue for you.
post #464 of 685 Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

- i guess myharmony allows unlimited activities per device or maybe i've not understood you clearly
- agreed, that is important
- haven't run across that, all my current devices behave well.
- would that mean an sequence ? or again maybe i've not understood you clearly
- could you explain this one
- agreed.

i honestly feel i still don't understand the potential of this device. probably it can do things i'm not aware off but i'd love to know it's full capabilities with the software 7.7

Could you expand on points 1, 4 and 5. Or is there a link to a comprehensive guide to the capabilities of the Harmony software...?

Thanks,

Rana

post #465 of 685 Old 11-07-2011, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't actually used myharmony since it was in beta, so I could be working off old information. At that time, I could only create the standard WatchTV, WatchMovie, etc. activities. After those 6 or so activites, I couldn't add any more, like WatchNetflix, etc. I have 30 activities on my 700, which I think may be impossible on myharmony.

- Add more commands to the start/end of activities. For example, you have a WatchNetflix activity that requires several more commands at the end to navigate to and select the Netflix option on your device. You can add all those commands to your activity macro with the 7.7 software. You can't add any with myharmony.

- Change the order of activities. My 30 activities include those assigned to the hard buttons (WatchTV, etc.) plus several pages of activities on the soft buttons (WatchNetflix, ListenToPandora, ControlLights, BrowseWeb, etc.). On myharmony I have no control over where these activities are listed on the LCD. On the 7.7 software, I can put them anywhere I like, just like arranging custom buttons.
post #466 of 685 Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM

I just got and setup my 700 last night, I LOVE THIS REMOTE!!!! Picked up NIB on eBay for $60!!! So I really LOVE THIS REMOTE!!!

My only problem is getting the Samsung AllShare nework DLNA app to work. I got it setup as an input, but it then fouled up all my other working inputs for TV STB, DVD etc... could properly switch to them afterwards. I ended up deleting all the devices and starting totally over! I use the TV device button to control the TV and then navigate to AllShare, but sure would be nice to have as an activity!

Anyone get Samsung AllShare to work as an activity?
post #467 of 685 Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Geek View Post

I just got and setup my 700 last night, I LOVE THIS REMOTE!!!! Picked up NIB on eBay for $60!!! So I really LOVE THIS REMOTE!!!

My only problem is getting the Samsung AllShare nework DLNA app to work. I got it setup as an input, but it then fouled up all my other working inputs for TV STB, DVD etc... could properly switch to them afterwards. I ended up deleting all the devices and starting totally over! I use the TV device button to control the TV and then navigate to AllShare, but sure would be nice to have as an activity!

Anyone get Samsung AllShare to work as an activity?

I don't know what a Samsung Allshare is, but if you are having problems with adding an activity that messes up another activity, do not use one of the standard names such as Watch Television. Use the Utility activity for the setup. You can change the name of it later to what the activity does.
post #468 of 685 Old 12-08-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhj View Post

I don't know what a Samsung Allshare is, but if you are having problems with adding an activity that messes up another activity, do not use one of the standard names such as Watch Television. Use the Utility activity for the setup. You can change the name of it later to what the activity does.

If you dont even know what it is (AllShare), why post a response at all????

Seriously??? Of course I didnt use a name that was already in use!!! Did you read my entire post? I even stated that I got it to work but it messed up all my other activities inputs.

Anyone else???
post #469 of 685 Old 12-08-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Then maybe you could enlighten us. Is it a device or an app on your tv? If your other inputs are "messed up", then something like anynet is interfering. You need to turn that off.

When someone takes the time to help you, even if you don't understand their advice (he's talking about the type of activity where a "utility" type can include more devices than a "watch tv" type), a little politeness and gratitude will get you a lot farther than insults and arrogance.
post #470 of 685 Old 12-08-2011, 04:02 PM

I figured with Samsung being the #1 manufacturer of flatscreens in the world that you all would be aware of their AllShare app? It is an app included on many of their mid-high TV's and DVD/BRP.

This app allows easy sharing of movies on a PC or media server to the TV or device with AllShare. As I stated last night, I had everything working wonderfully until I added the AllShare as an input and then configured the custom activity "Watch AllShare".

With that said do you have any suggestions?

I was frustrated last night on several fronts, and I know better than to jump down someones throat who is only trying to help. But also understand that I am a big contributor on a well known Windows 7 forum and several other PC help forums. Lately there has been a huge increase in what I call "10 post know-it-alls"; people answering a post not to help, but rather to increase their post count alone.
post #471 of 685 Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I was frustrated last night on several fronts, and I know better than to jump down someones throat who is only trying to help. But also understand that I am a big contributor on a well known Windows 7 forum and several other PC help forums. Lately there has been a huge increase in what I call "10 post know-it-alls"; people answering a post not to help, but rather to increase their post count alone.

The suggestion provided to you was very good. That's what we usually do: setting up a Utility activity so that you're not restricted by how Harmony SW creates the activity for you.
post #472 of 685 Old 12-08-2011, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Understood.

Unless someone else with a samsung jumps in here, we'll need some more details. Is AllShare really treated like another input on your tv, IOW, if you press Input on the original remote, is AllShare a choice, or is there a dedicated button or command that goes straight to it on you original remote, no matter what the current input? I think if you're treating it as another input, but it's really an app, then that could be the problem. The input list in the device config must match the input list on your tv exactly and in the same order. Also, are you using input method 2 in the harmony software or some other method? Most current samsung tvs have discrete input commands and therefore should really use method 2.

If it's just an app, then you'll want your activity to be identical to "Watch TV", except you'll customize that activity, choosing "I want to add more control", then add the AllShare command to the start of your activity. This isn't possible on myharmony.com. To do it, you'll have to set up your remote from scratch using the standalone 7.7 harmony software.
post #473 of 685 Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:

I could care less about post count.
post #474 of 685 Old 12-08-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Understood.

Unless someone else with a samsung jumps in here, we'll need some more details. Is AllShare really treated like another input on your tv, IOW, if you press Input on the original remote, is AllShare a choice, or is there a dedicated button or command that goes straight to it on you original remote, no matter what the current input? I think if you're treating it as another input, but it's really an app, then that could be the problem. The input list in the device config must match the input list on your tv exactly and in the same order. Also, are you using input method 2 in the harmony software or some other method? Most current samsung tvs have discrete input commands and therefore should really use method 2.

If it's just an app, then you'll want your activity to be identical to "Watch TV", except you'll customize that activity, choosing "I want to add more control", then add the AllShare command to the start of your activity. This isn't possible on myharmony.com. To do it, you'll have to set up your remote from scratch using the standalone 7.7 harmony software.

I think the input list is a big part of the issue, and --- Yes, AllShare shows as an input! The problem seems to stem from the fact that once the TV gets these other inputs (eg: AllShare, PC1, PC2) the order of them does sometimes jump around, also if PC2 is off it disappears from list.

The 700 is an awesome remote, and surely someone here has got this app/input to work. To me it isnt that big an issue to go to devices --> TV --> input next --> down arrow then enter to get to AllShare. But my "better half" cant deal with it as well as I can, she wants an "Easy button" or task programed... and I would like to give it to her! LOL! In all honesty, I wouldnt mind having it programmed that way either!

I am also going to contact Logitech support on this and if they have a fix, I will post the solution for anyone else who may want to do this with their 700 and a Sammy w/AllShare.
post #475 of 685 Old 12-09-2011, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

If harmony has discrete commands for each input on your tv, switching to method 2 will be bulletproof since it doesn't rely on scrolling through lists and doesn't care about order, it just goes directly to the select input with one command. The key is testing each input command in device mode and making sure what it actually does matches its description. Support should be able to walk you through it.
post #476 of 685 Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had a Harmony 676 for about four years and a couple of the buttons have gone nearly dead; you have to REALLY press the Off switch to cut things off and the Watch Movie button went dead. I also got a new TV and switched my DirecTV service. While I obviously changed the connections around, since the receiver stayed the same and it's ins and outs, I thought it'd be easy to transfer the settings to the 700 I picked up.

Wrong.

First mistake was to use MyHarmony.com. I didn't realize how gimped it was compared to the software and wondered why I couldn't find the settings I'd had before. Then I read this thread and realized I needed the software. OK, I download that and the fun really began:

* It immediately told me I had too many devices. The box says it supports 8 devices; MyHarmony says it supports 8; but the v.7.7 software thinks it's only capable of 6 devices. Luckily, I've got exactly 6 (at the moment) - TV, DTV, BD player, VCR, receiver, and Xbox 360 - but I had to delete my old HD DVD (not currently attached) and the old TV and DTV devices to get room to work.

Is there a way around this? If I had another device to the system, how can I get it working other than through MyHarmony? Also, what's the deal with the software and the website using different logins?

* While setting up TV, VCR, and BD appear to be fine, I'm having a show-stopping problem with getting the audio working on the Xbox. I have a Panasonic SC-HT05 HTiaB and it has three digital inputs - a coax which the BD runs to and two TOSlink optical ins, one of which is fed from the HDTV (piping in DirectTV and VCR) and the other from the Xbox.

The 2nd input (OPT2) is labeled DVR IN on the receiver's back and with the 676, it landed with the display showing DVR/VCR on the front display. The problem is that four years later, I can't recall how I got that set up because none of the inputs under Devices>Receiver switch to this. Because it had to re-setup after adding the new components, I think my old strings got lost.

Any ideas? TIA.
post #477 of 685 Old 12-14-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post

Is there a way around this? If I had another device to the system, how can I get it working other than through MyHarmony? Also, what's the deal with the software and the website using different logins?

The first thing you should do is adding as many devices as you can up to the maximum for the 676 (using potential devices that you think you might get later, or just add some TV, AV receiver, DVD,...). Then ask Logitech support to clone your account to a new account. Then use the SW 7.7, login to that account to upgrade the remote from the 676 to the 700. All devices will be transferred! if you encounter problem (storage wise) and it does not let you add all devices, then start removing 1 unused device at the time (don't remove activities). Most likely, you will at least end up with a Harmony 700 that has 10 or 11 devices.
post #478 of 685 Old 12-14-2011, 01:15 PM

Well, I've already migrated the 676 settings to the 700, so I guess I've hosed myself in that matter. For the time being, the issue is getting it to switch to the 2nd optical input. I got it figured out once, but I'm stumped now and somehow in the migration, how I had it set got lost.
post #479 of 685 Old 12-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post

Well, I've already migrated the 676 settings to the 700, so I guess I've hosed myself in that matter. For the time being, the issue is getting it to switch to the 2nd optical input. I got it figured out once, but I'm stumped now and somehow in the migration, how I had it set got lost.

You could reverse the process by connecting the 676 back to the SW and re-upgrade, it will be back to 15 device max again.

I would suggest to use the OEM remote control and switch input manually to make sure everything works, then use the Harmony device page to do the same for that input. After that, you'll be sure if the device LCD buttons for inputs really work or not. Then proceed to the activity.
post #480 of 685 Old 12-14-2011, 02:27 PM

I dug up the receiver's remote and there's a hard button labeled DVD Recorder that makes the switch, but there's nothing in the commands list for that input. I've tried to teach the IR command, but it never detects from any distance from touching to three feet away and it never detects and the lovely (*cough*) software won't cancel the process; I had to logout to start over. Repeatedly pressing the remote button or holding it down seems to make no difference. Bother.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page