Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 681 Old 04-23-2012, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post

3 - Not just any off the shelf AC power adapter will work with the H700. Only the Logitech AC adapter will work at recharging the batteries in the remote. The Logitech H700 AC power adapter is very difficult to find and Logitech doesn't sell it that I know of.

The Harmony AC power adapter is 5V, 1 Amp. Any power adapter with specs of 5V and 1 Amp or less will work. Electricity is electricity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 681 Old 04-23-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 279
It's been a while since I had a 700, but IIRC, bmurray is correct. Although the power specs are the same, I think its looking for something else before the 700 will charge, similar to how iPhone and Motorola phones refuse to work with an "unauthorized" charger. This leads me to believe the charging circuitry is in the adapter, not the remote, so there's nothing to sense the voltage for regulating the charge properly. But I'm not certain. You'll just have to try it and see. If you've actually successfully use a generic charger with the 700, then I'm obviously wrong. But I don't remember it working for me.

In any case, Logitech is usually pretty good about selling spare parts. They may even replace the whole thing under warranty.
post #543 of 681 Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov View Post

I have a Denon AVR-4311 and am using the 700 with it. My directional up and down keys are not responding to the Denon. The directional left and right work fine, but not up or down! I even tried learning them and still no luck. I know these keys work with my other devices so it is not the remote itself. any thoughts? thanks

See this link:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...0not%20working

Sony Bravia KDL32S3000 HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K AVR | Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC HD Cable Box | Sony BDP-S390 BD | Harmony 700| Logitech Squeezbox Classic | Squeezebox Radio | Polk T15 (front - L/R) | Polk OWM 3 (rear) | DefTech ProCenter1000 (center) | Polk DSW Pro 400 Sub
post #544 of 681 Old 04-23-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

It's been a while since I had a 700, but IIRC, bmurray is correct. Although the power specs are the same, I think its looking for something else before the 700 will charge, similar to how iPhone and Motorola phones refuse to work with an "unauthorized" charger. This leads me to believe the charging circuitry is in the adapter, not the remote, so there's nothing to sense the voltage for regulating the charge properly. But I'm not certain. You'll just have to try it and see. If you've actually successfully use a generic charger with the 700, then I'm obviously wrong. But I don't remember it working for me.

In any case, Logitech is usually pretty good about selling spare parts. They may even replace the whole thing under warranty.

I stand corrected. I have been using my Logitech charger to charge my iPod, LG phone, Motorola BT headset, Golf Buddy, and Plantronics cordless USB headset all with no problems, so I wrongly assumed the opposite would be true.

I just tried several chargers with my 700 and none of them would charge it.
post #545 of 681 Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

HERE are replacement parts for the 700. The AC adapter is $10 plus around $6 shipping.
post #546 of 681 Old 04-24-2012, 04:51 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmurray716 View Post

See this link:

http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...0not%20working

THanks!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100,  Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
post #547 of 681 Old 04-27-2012, 03:05 PM

I have the old software program on an XP laptop for my Harmony 700. Is there any way I can transfer the settings in that Logitech program to my new Win7 laptop... without having to re-enter everything again?

I have downloaded the 7.7 program on the Win7 laptop, but I haven't installed it yet. Waiting to see if there are any options... other than setting everything up again.
post #548 of 681 Old 04-27-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

No worries. There is nothing to transfer. All your settings are on Logitech's servers and associated with your login. Nothing is ever stored on your computer. Install software on any computer and program from anywhere, including http://members.harmonyremote.com. Think of it like web based email.
post #549 of 681 Old 04-27-2012, 04:36 PM

That's wonderful! I was confused, because they have that MyHarmony set up now [which I've never used], so I thought my info must be in that desktop program or in my remote. As you can tell, I'm not that tech savvy... I just read a lot to solve my problems.

Thank you so much, Dave. I'll go ahead and install the new software I downloaded tomorrow.
post #550 of 681 Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I've been using regular AA batteries in my 700 for over two years. The remote never charged right with the original batteries so I switched and never looked back.
post #551 of 681 Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
So it's 2012 and I finally got my first universal remote . As I'm setting it up there's something I want it to do, but since this is my first experience with Harmony I'm not sure if it's even possible:

I set up a "Watch TV" activity that controls my DTV box + Denon AVR, but I want to know if it is possible for me to access the AVR menus easily without changing devices or activities. I successfully re-mapped two of the color coded buttons to pull up various Denon menus, but after the menus come up I'm not able to navigate them (all directional keys command the DTV box). Can what I want be done and if so, how? If possible I'd like to be able to control both the DTV and AVR within the same "Watch TV" activity, without having to look at the 700 screen to change something.

thanks in advance.

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
post #552 of 681 Old 05-09-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

So it's 2012 and I finally got my first universal remote . As I'm setting it up there's something I want it to do, but since this is my first experience with Harmony I'm not sure if it's even possible:

I set up a "Watch TV" activity that controls my DTV box + Denon AVR, but I want to know if it is possible for me to access the AVR menus easily without changing devices or activities. I successfully re-mapped two of the color coded buttons to pull up various Denon menus, but after the menus come up I'm not able to navigate them (all directional keys command the DTV box). Can what I want be done and if so, how? If possible I'd like to be able to control both the DTV and AVR within the same "Watch TV" activity, without having to look at the 700 screen to change something.

thanks in advance.

It is possible to control your AVR via "Watch TV" by programming the needed AVR commands to another page of available commands on the screen. But that would be as much (if not more) of a pain than just toggling between devices.
post #553 of 681 Old 05-09-2012, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, thanks-looks like I'll just need to switch devices then. I just assumed that if the software allowed me to program a button to bring up the AVR menu I would be able to navigate the menus as well. Not a big deal.

post #554 of 681 Old 05-09-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, thanks-looks like I'll just need to switch devices then. I just assumed that if the software allowed me to program a button to bring up the AVR menu I would be able to navigate the menus as well. Not a big deal.

That's the best solution. You may not be aware but you can just double click the Activities or Devices button to quickly switch between device mode and your current activity.

With a JP1 remote or similar, you could remap the nav keys on the fly, but you can't do that with harmony.
post #555 of 681 Old 05-09-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, thanks--I'll mess around with it more tonight. I still can't believe I waited this long to get one of these. I literally have a pile of remotes it will replace .

Another question--I decided to use "My Harmony" instead of the regular software, and I've since learned that doing this may have been a mistake? Since I'm just getting started should I start over and avoid using My Harmony?

post #556 of 681 Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

It's hard to say. Myharmony gives you 2 additional devices, but takes away macros (sequences), the ability to add more commands to the start/end of your activities, the ability to adjust your backlight timeout, the ability to import pronto hex codes, etc. I did a lot of that stuff, so the old software was essential to me. But you may never use any of it.

Do you ever envision wanting to simply some tasks by putting several steps in a one button macro, like turning on captions or changing sound/video modes or dimming the lights when you play a disc, for example? You'll need the old software for that. Likewise if you want to augment any activities like adding extra commands to turn on surround sound, turn down your tv speakers, or navigate directly to Netflix for example. If you use your remote to control a PC/Mac as well, then your activities can get really complicated, which is something MyHarmony can't handle.
post #557 of 681 Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks for the info-sounds like I need to start over and scrap My Harmony.

post #558 of 681 Old 05-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:

thanks for the info-sounds like I need to start over and scrap My Harmony.

If you need (not want) to control more than 6 devices and are willing to make certain sacrifices mentioned previously, then use My Harmony.

If you are going to be controlling 6 devices or less, then use the software.
post #559 of 681 Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks-I'm still customizing things and spent some time tweaking settings again last night, but I'm really happy with it so far. I'm currently at 5 devices but haven't incorporated my 2nd DTV box or PS3 yet (don't own the PS3/Harmony adapter). I'm sure I'll eventually add those devices so I'll be forced to use the My Harmony software, but I can always upgrade to a different Harmony model and move the 700 into another room.

post #560 of 681 Old 05-11-2012, 07:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Doesn't exist on myharmony, but on members.harmonyremote go click More Options, then Adjust Delays and enter your Inter-Key delay in milliseconds.

For any D* users out there (specifically HD DVR), what do you recommend setting the inter-key delay at? I switched mine from the default 100ms to 1000ms last night. It seemed to help a little.

Any other suggestions?
post #561 of 681 Old 05-20-2012, 03:53 PM

How's the sluggishness of the 700?

I used to have an 880 and hated it because of the slow response. I did the recommended hacking of delay settings. But it was still sluggish. I can't fathom how a harmony remote can't react just as fast as OEM remotes - or an old school universal remote from 20 years ago.

The 700 has all the features I need. But if they are still sluggish, I'm out.
post #562 of 681 Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you describe exactly what you mean? The only time I've seen complaints of slugishness, it's from someone who presses the same button repeatedly and extremely fast, like when channel surfing or navigating with the arrow keys. When I press a button on harmony, the response is instantaneous. It's when I press the same button again that delays become apparent. All harmonys do that, even with the inter-key delay set to zero.

Xsight is always instantaneous and is far better than the 700 in every way and much cheaper. I recommend you broaden you horizons and consider other brands like URC or Xsight.
post #563 of 681 Old 05-21-2012, 07:35 AM

You described it. This most common frustration is paging through a program guide or arrow keys.

But I wouldn't call them extremely fast button pushes.
post #564 of 681 Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanec View Post

How's the sluggishness of the 700?

I used to have an 880 and hated it because of the slow response. I did the recommended hacking of delay settings. But it was still sluggish. I can't fathom how a harmony remote can't react just as fast as OEM remotes - or an old school universal remote from 20 years ago.

The 700 has all the features I need. But if they are still sluggish, I'm out.

I have had my 700 for a couple of weeks now; my 880 finally bit the dust. As a former 880 user, my opinion is that so far the 700 is FAR better than the 880 ever thought about being. I have nothing bad to say about it so far. I'm very pleased with my purchase.

If you are using D*, it's possible your box is slow. Although the 700 makes it easier to control my HD-DVR, the box itself still responds slowly at times (like when I hit "List").
post #565 of 681 Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 AM

Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear. I'm gonna try one.
post #566 of 681 Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Remember that scene in Toy Story where the pig is channel surfing and pressing the buttons on the remote as fast as he possibly can? If you use your remote like that, you will experience slugishness, and no harmony will satisfy you. I personally like the 700 a lot and think it responds just fine, within reason. Just wanted to warn you in case you are the type with machine gun fingers. There was a long exchange in one of the other harmony threads a while back, and it turned out the person complaining about speed was using his remote in that manner.
post #567 of 681 Old 10-23-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

It's hard to say. Myharmony gives you 2 additional devices, but takes away macros (sequences), the ability to add more commands...

So from this exchange I take that the 700 is capable of 6 devices using the old software, but will control 8 with the MyHarmony software. If this is true, does anyone know if the same applies to the 650? 2 more devices for a total of 7 instead of 5?
post #568 of 681 Old 10-23-2012, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately not. The 700 is 6 or 8 as you said. But the 600 and 650 are 5 device regardless of software version. Makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is.

The good news is any of them carry over a higher number of devices if you upgrade from another remote. For example, if you have a 12-device 520 and upgrade to a 600, your 600 gets all 12 devices. But the 5 device limit kicks in if you ever attempt to add more devices. In other words to add one new device, you have to first delete 8 to get under the 5 device limit first. You could fake it out and learn all commands to an existing device or add multiple device commands to a single device, creating a combo device. Lots of loopholes, but all are complicated. The stupid device limits are one of many reasons I avoid harmony whenever possible.
post #569 of 681 Old 10-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Unfortunately not. The 700 is 6 or 8 as you said. But the 600 and 650 are 5 device regardless of software version. Makes no sense to me, but that's the way it is.
The good news is any of them carry over a higher number of devices if you upgrade from another remote. For example, if you have a 12-device 520 and upgrade to a 600, your 600 gets all 12 devices. But the 5 device limit kicks in if you ever attempt to add more devices. In other words to add one new device, you have to first delete 8 to get under the 5 device limit first. You could fake it out and learn all commands to an existing device or add multiple device commands to a single device, creating a combo device. Lots of loopholes, but all are complicated. The stupid device limits are one of many reasons I avoid harmony whenever possible.

Thanks for the info, mdavej.
So, as a 650 owner, I could presumably buy any old Harmony remote with more device support, get my account cloned, program the old remote with extra devices, and then "upgrade" to my 650? If this works, could I make changes to my newly upgraded 650, or would I have to "downgrade" to the old remote, make the changes, and then "upgrade" to my 650. Sounds like a lot of work, but I enjoy the process.
post #570 of 681 Old 10-27-2012, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never tried it more than once with the same remote, but I think it's a one shot deal. Get the old harmony the way you like. "Upgrade" to the 650. All your devices transfer. But you still have a lot of work to do. Any custom buttons or sequences will have to be re-done. Not a good solution if you intend to make a lot of changes. Better to bite the bullet and get a model with all the device slots you need, like a One for example, or an older model or some other brand.
Culpepper likes this.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page