Harmony 700 - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

Old 01-20-2015, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

Is there any damage from deep discharge, ignoring the low batt. indicator, and using it until it dies?
Is there any damage from toping off the tank even though it doesn't need charging and is only slightly depleted?
I hope that you know that the 700 have replaceable rechargeable battery. You can go and buy a pair of Sanyo Eneloop (slow discharge). All those batteries can handle a limited number of charge discharge and the newer on can go up to 2100 times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Yes I am aware you can replace the battery but I'd like to maximize its use before I have to do that. Different chemistries such as sealed Lead acid, Ni-MH, LSD-NiMH, Ni-Cad, Li-Po, etc have different charging characteristics and different ways to treat them to optimize their re-charge cycles.

The batts that came with mine I believe are Ni-MH, but they don't specify being LSD Ni-MH, like Eneloops, however I hope they are. GP Recyko makes a charger and their instructions say"

Remove the batteries and unplug the charger once the

charging is complete. Do not leave batteries in the charger for extended periods.

Which makes me think over charging IS a risk {not of danger but of longest possible battery life and number of charge cycles}

http://datasheet.octopart.com/GPAR05...t-10027070.pdf

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Old 01-20-2015, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

The way I counted is the following:
- each battery can be recharged 2100 times (the 1st gen could be recharged 1000 times)
- if you had to recharge the battery every 2 weeks it would make 26 recharge per year
- battery would last you 80 years

Even at the cost of $5 per battery (the current cost is $14 a pack of 4), I will not worry about the cost of it.

As for safety, the remote will shutdown when it detect low battery so will not let you discharge it completely.
And for charging the internal charge circuit seem to shutdown the charge when it think the battery is full (the battery is cold, meaning that it stop charging), so I think that it is pretty safe. In any case I think that NiMH battery can handle over charge better than Li-ion batteries.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I upgraded my DirecTV equipment this weekend and for some reason my 700s are lagging when controlling the mini Genies (C41W-100). I have to press a button 4-5 times before anything happens on the screen. The 700 that controls the HR44 Genie works fine. The DirecTV remotes work fine when controlling the minis. Has anyone else had this issue?

Also, lets say I was playing PS4 the last time I used my system. The next time I turn everything and want to watch TV, the input does not change. I have to press help in order for it to change to the right input. I know I have to adjust the delay, but I have no idea which one.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Everyone! I hope this thread is still updated with information in regards to the Logitech 700 remote...

I am having with my setup as well and was looking for some tips. As of right now I have a Samsung LCD TV always set to HDMI 1, a Samsung HW-E550 Soundbar, a Verizon FIOS Cable box and a Playstation 4 (which I know is not controlled by the 700).

So the issue that I am having is when i am currently in one of my "Watch TV/Play a game/ listen to music" Activity from the startup of my devices it works fine . However when I try to change from Watch TV to any other activity it doesnt change to the correct source on the soundbar even though it is programmed correctly on the remote. When starting up any activity there is no issue but when inside a activity and changing to another no matter what it is it doesnt change on the soundbar to the correct input.

My setup is the following

Samsung TV Stays on HDMI 1
Cable box - HDMI 1 on the sound bar
PlayStation - HDMI 2 on the sound-bar
Listen to music - Bluetooth on the soundbar

In the meantime i created a workaround and configured the 700 to change the input by manually setting one of the settings within the device of the soundbar to change inputs but I would like to actually use the activities the way it is meant to be used then navigate through the lcd screen of the remote to change my source each time.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2015, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranda03 View Post
Hi Everyone! I hope this thread is still updated with information in regards to the Logitech 700 remote...

I am having with my setup as well and was looking for some tips. As of right now I have a Samsung LCD TV always set to HDMI 1, a Samsung HW-E550 Soundbar, a Verizon FIOS Cable box and a Playstation 4 (which I know is not controlled by the 700).

So the issue that I am having is when i am currently in one of my "Watch TV/Play a game/ listen to music" Activity from the startup of my devices it works fine . However when I try to change from Watch TV to any other activity it doesnt change to the correct source on the soundbar even though it is programmed correctly on the remote. When starting up any activity there is no issue but when inside a activity and changing to another no matter what it is it doesnt change on the soundbar to the correct input.

My setup is the following

Samsung TV Stays on HDMI 1
Cable box - HDMI 1 on the sound bar
PlayStation - HDMI 2 on the sound-bar
Listen to music - Bluetooth on the soundbar

In the meantime i created a workaround and configured the 700 to change the input by manually setting one of the settings within the device of the soundbar to change inputs but I would like to actually use the activities the way it is meant to be used then navigate through the lcd screen of the remote to change my source each time.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
If a manual harmony button will switch inputs, I'm wondering if it has to do with an inter-device delay?

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Old 12-13-2015, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Can Harmony 700 work with cable box in closet?

I plan to put my cable box, DVD player, etc. in a closet within to the room. Will the Harmony 700 work with that setup? If it can't as is, is there a simple workaround? I will also have a Harmony Hub for an Elite and another TV in another room, within that same closet.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaveMan View Post
I plan to put my cable box, DVD player, etc. in a closet within to the room. Will the Harmony 700 work with that setup? If it can't as is, is there a simple workaround? I will also have a Harmony Hub for an Elite and another TV in another room, within that same closet.
To use the 700 or any other IR based remote with components not line-of-sight, you need an IR repeater of some sort.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
Old 12-13-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oryan_dunn View Post
To use the 700 or any other IR based remote with components not line-of-sight, you need an IR repeater of some sort.
Does Logitech have one I should use, or really can anyone work? Any recommendations?

How does it work - It gets mounted to the wall below the TV set, and then does RF to the closet, then back to IR?
Old 12-14-2015, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Does Logitech have one I should use, or really can anyone work? Any recommendations?

How does it work - It gets mounted to the wall below the TV set, and then does RF to the closet, then back to IR?
According to both Logitech product support and the guy in my local BestBuy, the 700 is very buggy when used with an IR repeater. Said I need to get a Harmony Ultimate or Elite even for my limited set-up for this secondary home theater.

Is that really the case?

Is it possible to get an Elite for less with one Hub, i.e. use 2 Elites for 2 different set-us with one Hub?
Old 12-14-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked: 882
700 not working well with repeater is BS. Anything except Next Gen is fine with Harmony.

One remote per hub. Really considering $700 worth of remotes instead of $50 remote plus $40 repeater?
Old 12-14-2015, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
700 not working well with repeater is BS. Anything except Next Gen is fine with Harmony.

One remote per hub. Really considering $700 worth of remotes instead of $50 remote plus $40 repeater?
Sounded like BS to me as well, but I've not personally used a 700 with a repeater, so couldn't comment authoritatively on the matter.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Old 12-15-2015, 01:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I have one of the least expensive IR repeater systems there is: Monoprice. I just tested it with my Harmony 700 and it seems fine.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9895
bmurray716 likes this.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
Old 12-17-2015, 07:16 AM

Quote:
If a manual harmony button will switch inputs, I'm wondering if it has to do with an inter-device delay?
The thing is, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. It will skip over the correct input even when changing the inter device delay.

The main reason why I got this remote was because of an issue with my samsung soundbar. For some reason when powering on the soundbar it usually defaulted to D.IN even when it was on HDMI 1 or 2 when it was powered off. So each time i turned everything on before the harmony remote it went to D.in. I searched for a solution for this issue but it didnt exist. Someone on this forum i believe stated the only way to get around it was to get this remote. I waited till i got it on sale which was recently and it solves the D.IN problem however created a new problem which isn't as bad but still annoys me a little bit because iw ant it to work as advertised.

I noticed there was a setting in the software that asks if the soundbar defaults to a certain setting so i thought by setting that to D.in this would fix the problem but unfortunately it has not.

Any other suggestions please let me know but in the meantime i will use the source button i created on the remote to jump from HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. But i do love the fact that it powers everything on and off at the same time so i dont need multiple remotes for that anymore.
Old 01-20-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
The thing is, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. It will skip over the correct input even when changing the inter device delay.

The main reason why I got this remote was because of an issue with my samsung soundbar. For some reason when powering on the soundbar it usually defaulted to D.IN even when it was on HDMI 1 or 2 when it was powered off. So each time i turned everything on before the harmony remote it went to D.in. I searched for a solution for this issue but it didnt exist. Someone on this forum i believe stated the only way to get around it was to get this remote. I waited till i got it on sale which was recently and it solves the D.IN problem however created a new problem which isn't as bad but still annoys me a little bit because iw ant it to work as advertised.

I noticed there was a setting in the software that asks if the soundbar defaults to a certain setting so i thought by setting that to D.in this would fix the problem but unfortunately it has not.

Any other suggestions please let me know but in the meantime i will use the source button i created on the remote to jump from HDMI 1 and HDMI 2. But i do love the fact that it powers everything on and off at the same time so i dont need multiple remotes for that anymore.
I've gotten the remote set up properly. It controls every device accurately. However, when I press my watch tv activity, my soundbar fails to go on, and it can only be turned on by going through the help screens. Any suggestions for me?
Old 01-21-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
I've gotten the remote set up properly. It controls every device accurately. However, when I press my watch tv activity, my soundbar fails to go on, and it can only be turned on by going through the help screens. Any suggestions for me?

I actually figured out my problem and my remote is working correctly finally!!! There was a setting in my soundbar that was checked off that needed to be removed. I forget right now since I am at work but will try to remember to look at it some time this week.

It seems as if your activity setting isn't configured correctly when you press Watch TV. Go through the setup wizard and confirm that when pressing that activity your soundbar is set to the correct source when it turns on. Let me know how that goes.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I actually figured out my problem and my remote is working correctly finally!!! There was a setting in my soundbar that was checked off that needed to be removed. I forget right now since I am at work but will try to remember to look at it some time this week.

It seems as if your activity setting isn't configured correctly when you press Watch TV. Go through the setup wizard and confirm that when pressing that activity your soundbar is set to the correct source when it turns on. Let me know how that goes.
Yes, the soundbar is set to the right output - it works once the power is toggled on, it's just that the activity doesn't seem to work on it the first time.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Yes, the soundbar is set to the right output - it works once the power is toggled on, it's just that the activity doesn't seem to work on it the first time.
I program a lot of Harmony remotes and this always works (dont ask me why).

Set the soundbar to turn on first in every activity.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a new LG 55GP9100. I removed the previous TV from my set up then added the LG. Went thru the set up and updated remote. All works EXCEPT....it will not automatically change to the proper input. I have to go to help then select no until it toggles to the proper input. When I go to another device, it stays on the last input. I have tired re doing the set up, tried using the original remote to send to the harmony and still the same thing occurs. Any thoughts?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steff3 View Post
I have a new LG 55GP9100. I removed the previous TV from my set up then added the LG. Went thru the set up and updated remote. All works EXCEPT....it will not automatically change to the proper input. I have to go to help then select no until it toggles to the proper input. When I go to another device, it stays on the last input. I have tired re doing the set up, tried using the original remote to send to the harmony and still the same thing occurs. Any thoughts?
Hmm..no ideas?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Steff3; 02-16-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: deleted an included previous post
Old 02-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steff3 View Post
Hmm..no ideas?

After the TV is up you should first test if the remote is sending the proper code for changing input, use the 'device' and select the tv and use some of the input command.
If those works then it could be just some timing issue where at power up the remote is sending some command but the tv is ready to receive.

How to do is documented here: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...power-on-delay
Old 02-16-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranle View Post
After the TV is up you should first test if the remote is sending the proper code for changing input, use the 'device' and select the tv and use some of the input command.
If those works then it could be just some timing issue where at power up the remote is sending some command but the tv is ready to receive.

How to do is documented here: https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/...power-on-delay
When I go to a device the tv's input show up but do not change, it stays on the last input used I select help and then no until it scrolls to the proper input then select yes and all is ok. Just won't do it automatically. What am I missing?????

Old 03-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this post is a month old but the problem may be in the way the TV changes input. If it has separate input commands then that is how you should set up the remote. Sounds to me like it is using a menu through which it must scroll through which is the most problematic way of changing inputs. As Tranle suggested, go into Device mode for the TV and look to see if there are direct commands for each of the the inputs. For example, one may be called HDMI1, or Component2, etc. If these exist among your commands for the TV, try selecting one and see if the TV changes to that input. If it does then re-set up that activity using the discrete input commands instead of the menu and your good to go.

LG 42LB5600, Sony BDP-S590, Pioneer VSX-516, JBL LX22, Definitive Technology ProCenter 1000, Polk DSWPro400, Polk OWM3, Logitech Squeezbox Classic, Squeezebox Radio
Old 04-25-2016, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Simple amp for TV speakers w/ Harmony 700

Need an inexpensive amp for two Dell passive TV speakers that can be controlled with a Harmony 700.

Just something simple and inexpensive. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSteel View Post
Need an inexpensive amp for two Dell passive TV speakers that can be controlled with a Harmony 700.

Just something simple and inexpensive. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Any old AV Receiver bought from Craigslist would do as long as it is controlled by an IR remote.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropkick Murphy View Post
Any old AV Receiver bought from Craigslist would do as long as it is controlled by an IR remote.
Sorry, I should also have said "very small".
Old 04-25-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, but unless you are willing to spend double/triple what a name brand receiver will cost, then what you are asking for doesn't exist.

There are these no-name Chinese class D amps on ebay which may or may not work with the remote. You'd have to research that.
Here's an example [not that I know anything about this particular one]:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lepai-LP-A7U...4AAOSwu4BViR-D

Last edited by m. zillch; 04-25-2016 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSteel View Post
Sorry, I should also have said "very small".
Big and cheap exists. Small and cheap, well I don't know. The only thing that comes to mind is an NAD D3020, but it's not that cheap.

Edit: here is something cheap and smallish...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LI4L1LO/

Last edited by oryan_dunn; 04-25-2016 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Big and cheap exists. Small and cheap, well I don't know. The only thing that comes to mind is an NAD D3020, but it's not that cheap.

Edit: here is something cheap and smallish...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LI4L1LO/

Here are a couple more tiny ones... No idea on quality...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073WTG6M/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00721Z1AE/

Old 04-25-2016, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Harmony can learn, so anything that comes with an IR remote can be made to work whether it's in the Harmony database or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

taboola here