Harmony 700 - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #781 of 809 Old 01-04-2017, 06:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't know if this has been posted yet or not but Best Buy currently has these 700 for sale for $39.99!!!!! I just jumped on the leap of faith and bought 2 of them yesterday. Programming was a piece of cake and used both of them yesterday without a Hitch. Now onto reading some of the tips n tricks. I figured. For the price even if it lasts me a year or until I can afford one of the other Big Boy remotes - I should be extremely happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rjhseven and Sgooter like this.

A United States Marine -
No Better Friend - No Worst Enemy!

Preview the "Prican Lounge" here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...-s-lounge.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 809 Old 01-07-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 87
A device in one of my Activities requires two distinct power off pulses to turn it off. I went into Customize This Activity, then into the Activity Shutdown Commands. In this area, there appears to be a way to add another shutdown step for this device. However, the options given do not include adding a second Power Off command step. So, using the My Harmony s/w, how do I program the 700 to issue a second power off pulse to turn off a device? Thnx.

Update: Looks like there's a way to add a second Power Toggle command by going into the Change Device Settings section vs using the Customize This Activity section.

Please enter password to view this signature.

Last edited by Sgooter; 01-09-2017 at 09:09 AM.
post #783 of 809 Old 01-07-2017, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by prican2000 View Post
I don't know if this has been posted yet or not but Best Buy currently has these 700 for sale for $39.99!!!!! I just jumped on the leap of faith and bought 2 of them yesterday. Programming was a piece of cake and used both of them yesterday without a Hitch. Now onto reading some of the tips n tricks. I figured. For the price even if it lasts me a year or until I can afford one of the other Big Boy remotes - I should be extremely happy.

Bought one two weeks ago-just bought two more. Best remote for the money by far.
prican2000 likes this.

Memphis Tiger Fan-Sports enthusiast

post #784 of 809 Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgooter View Post
A device in one of my Activities requires two distinct power off pulses to turn it off. I went into Customize This Activity, then into the Activity Shutdown Commands. In this area, there appears to be a way to add another shutdown step for this device. However, the options given do not include adding a second Power Off command step. So, using the My Harmony s/w, how do I program the 700 to issue a second power off pulse to turn off a device? Thnx.

So my Projector requires that I press the power button twice before it shuts down. I did not have to do any other programming to the remote other than tell it the make and model number and it preforms this (Double-Tap) power off sequence flawlessly.

A United States Marine -
No Better Friend - No Worst Enemy!

Preview the "Prican Lounge" here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...-s-lounge.html
post #785 of 809 Old 01-08-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked: 1168
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhseven View Post
Bought one two weeks ago-just bought two more. Best remote for the money by far.
I agree it is a great deal. I'm so tempted to buy another one as backup for the inevitable day when one of my to 700s bust and also because this price implies to me we may no longer even see 700s out there at all if this is a "closeout price". Anyone know?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #786 of 809 Old 01-08-2017, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 227
It' $ 49 now on BB online. Is it cheaper at the store?

I was so happy without HDR...
post #787 of 809 Old 01-09-2017, 01:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dratz. The online price was ten buck less yesterday. I guess that deal is over.
post #788 of 809 Old 01-09-2017, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I guess I'm in the minority for this 700 remote. I got mine for the $44 BB sale price, and loved the simple setup using the PC app. However, for daily normal use I just find my old Universal remote to be easier...in my situation. I can program any component button to be a macro (ie. Activity) on my Universal, just like the 700, so that ability does not add any value over what I have now. So I can get my Univ set up pretty much exactly like the Harmony as far as that goes. The biggest negative for me is in normal daily use and having to navigate the LED screen on Harmony. On my Univ I just like hitting the component button, and then the action. On the Harmony I have to select devices (if the action is not on the device current selected) and then find it on the screen and hit the component button. Then if the function does not have a listed button on the remote, scroll through the screens to find the desired function. I don't know what I'm missing, but I've tried it alongside my Univ and for some reason I just find it much more cumbersome than my current setup. Let me know if maybe I'm missing something? Also, with my RF repeater and the transmitter/battery that replaces one of the 2 AA batteries in the remote, I can get several months out of my Univ., whereas the Harmony seems to be getting 2 weeks max before it requires a charge.
post #789 of 809 Old 01-09-2017, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2126 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Yes, you are missing something.

Harmony is meant to be activity centric, meaning you should design your activities so that every device command you need is there. Do this via customize buttons. If you do it right, you'll never need to go to device mode.

I understand where you're coming from. My JP1 remotes work like your WR7. But I'm the only one in the family who knows how to use it. With Harmony, everyone in the family intuitively knows how to use it.

Your WR7 doesn't have a screen, so of course it's going to have much better battery life. However, you can't have all the additional functions that Harmony has. So pick your poison.
post #790 of 809 Old 01-09-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^ Yup that's right. The trick is to design it to be "activity centric" and you only need to go to the individual device mode for rarely used items. If "FM radio preset 4" is taking up a button while you are watching an optical disc, something is designed wrong.
post #791 of 809 Old 01-09-2017, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Yeah, to properly setup a harmony will take a bit of time, but anything you do while doing any activity should be programmed in to that activity, so the devices menu becomes something you forget even exists.

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
post #792 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hello, is it possible to setup "watch smart tv" activity with the Harmony 700 using only a Denon AVR-S920W and Samsung UN60KS8000 smart tv so I can view Netflix & Amazon apps from the TV's smart hub. I have a HDMI cable connected to ARC on both units. Harmony setup asks for what's connected to the Denon input, but the only connection to the Denon is monitor out (ARC) to the TV.
post #793 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by algooo View Post
Hello, is it possible to setup "watch smart tv" activity with the Harmony 700 using only a Denon AVR-S920W and Samsung UN60KS8000 smart tv so I can view Netflix & Amazon apps from the TV's smart hub. I have a HDMI cable connected to ARC on both units. Harmony setup asks for what's connected to the Denon input, but the only connection to the Denon is monitor out (ARC) to the TV.
If the only 2 devices are the TV and the receiver, the app should only ask which HDMI input (the ARC) you are using on the TV. I have this setup and it works.

post #794 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimoli View Post
If the only 2 devices are the TV and the receiver, the app should only ask which HDMI input (the ARC) you are using on the TV. I have this setup and it works.
thanks slimoli, I'll try it again tonight, but am pretty sure the tv/receiver were the only devices. It's possible that I disabled HDMI control and/or ARC though (earlier in my setup), so I'll check that, as well, and re-enable. So, for your setup, you're able to access/control TV's smart hub via 700, and view Netflix with audio out of receiver?
post #795 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
thanks slimoli, I'll try it again tonight, but am pretty sure the tv/receiver were the only devices. It's possible that I disabled HDMI control and/or ARC though (earlier in my setup), so I'll check that, as well, and re-enable. So, for your setup, you're able to access/control TV's smart hub via 700, and view Netflix with audio out of receiver?
That's exactly What I have. On my Samsung TV I select INPUT as SmartHub . Set your receiver to TV and the TV to SmartHub. ARC and HDMI control are enabled in my case.
See the picture:

'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	1886937  

post #796 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
That's exactly What I have. On my Samsung TV I select INPUT as SmartHub . Set your receiver to TV and the TV to SmartHub. ARC and HDMI control are enabled in my case.
See the picture:

'
Tried again, and got same result (don't know how to do screen capture and drag files here).
Here's my steps:
1)Harmony: select devices for 'watch smart tv' activity.
Me: Samsung tv & Denon avr
2)Harmony: which device to control volume?
Me: AVR
3)Harmony: which TV input?
Me: Smarthub
4)Harmony: which AVR input--lists all AVR inputs
Me: ugh!!

I'm using Harmony SW that's been on my desktop since I downloaded--about 3yrs ago. Possible that I'm using old version?
post #797 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 05:01 PM

In step 4 choose the TV input, or whatever you have the HDMI cable from your TV to Denon plugged into.
post #798 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
See the picture:

'

slimoli, just re-read your last response, could you please explain what you mean by "set you receiver to TV and the TV to smarthub" thanks--specifically, where are you making these settings.
At this point, I'm thinking it doesn't matter how I have the tv and avr setup if I can't set up the harmony "watch smart tv" activity.
post #799 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
In step 4 choose the TV input, or whatever you have the HDMI cable from your TV to Denon plugged into.

mdavej, I only have one HDMI cable connected from the AVR monitor out1(ARC) to the TV's HDMI 4 (ARC) input. I don't have anything connected to an AVR input.
post #800 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:

slimoli & mdavej, I'm all set with setting up the "watch smart tv" activity. I located the following note in the Denon manual: "

"If “HDMI Control” is set to “On” and a TV compatible with the ARC is connected via the HDMI MONITOR 1 connectors, the input mode whose input source is “TV Audio” is fixed to ARC."

When setting up the activity, I selected 'TV Audio' as the AVR's input, and that works (kinda). Now I need to look into power on sequence, delays. . .
Thank you for you assistance.

post #801 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 07:57 PM

Denon requires no power on delay at all. In fact, the input commands themselves act as discrete on.
post #802 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
mdavej, I only have one HDMI cable connected from the AVR monitor out1(ARC) to the TV's HDMI 4 (ARC) input. I don't have anything connected to an AVR input.
On your receiver, you must tell DENON that you are using the ARC function on the DENON INPUT "TV" . The ARC acts as an input and output but you must set your receiver to an INPUT (in my case is "TV") and configure this input to ARC. The receiver will know you are now using a single cable to send and receive data from the TV.

Set your TV input to SmartHub and set the receiver input to "TV", that's all you have to do with the Harmony.

You can use the software "MYHARMONY" istead but that's not why you are confused. The program can be downloaded, just Google it.

post #803 of 809 Old 01-10-2017, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=a
[SIZE=3]When setting up the activity, I selected 'TV Audio' as the AVR's input, and that works (kinda). Now I need to look into power on sequence, delays. . .[/SIZE]
[

That's it. you nailed it. Power sequence normally works without changing anything, if not just do some experiments since there is no magic formula.

post #804 of 809 Old 01-11-2017, 05:36 AM

Quote:
[quote=slimoli;49774569]
Quote:
Originally Posted by a
[SIZE=3
When setting up the activity, I selected 'TV Audio' as the AVR's input, and that works (kinda). Now I need to look into power on sequence, delays. . .[/SIZE]
[

That's it. you nailed it. Power sequence normally works without changing anything, if not just do some experiments since there is no magic formula.

I'm actually trying to setup two activities; "watch tv" with cable box, and "what smart tv" with tv apps. "watch tv was fine until I turned on ARC and setup the "watch smart tv" activity. Now, when I select "watch tv," the AVR & TV do turn on, but the AVR switches a couple times between "tv input" and "cable" input, and the tv turns on/off a couple times. Eventually, the AVR settles on the correct input (cable) and the tv remains on. All is fine until I power off. Both the AVR and the TV do power off, but then the TV turns back on and I need to use the TV's remote to power it off. I'm thinking that I just need to tweak the controls under the AVR's "HDMI ON" menu. It was getting late, and I needed to stop for the night. Will continue tonight. Also, I'm thinking about connecting cable box directly to tv (versus going thru AVR, which is my current setup) since I don't necessarily need audio out of AVR while watching tv. Any pros/cons with doing that?
post #805 of 809 Old 01-11-2017, 07:03 AM

ARC, hence HDMI-CEC, most definitely breaks Harmony control. If you don't really need it and have an alternate way to get audio, by all means, turn it off.
post #806 of 809 Old 01-12-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
ARC, hence HDMI-CEC, most definitely breaks Harmony control. If you don't really need it and have an alternate way to get audio, by all means, turn it off.
Since I care more about Harmony control, then ARC, I'll be disabling ARC and connecting optical cable from tv to avr--just wish the fact that ARC breaks harmony control would have been noted in one of the manuals--especially harmony's. I have a cable on order and will update once its installed--hoping I'm at the end of getting remote to work, as desired, so I can move onto tweaking new tv/avr.
post #807 of 809 Old 01-12-2017, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I always turn HDMI-CEC off even before I had my Harmony and used Univ. remotes with very customizable macros. CEC adds a layer of complexity that makes assumptions that from my perspective only cater to a limited audience: ones that have no universal remote at all or a product buried deep in a cabinet with a blocked IR sensor so sending command via the HDMI wire is used instead.

I also thought to add that on some products there are two different menu questions about CEC, or whatever pet name that particular company calls CEC ["Uni-control", "Master-Switcher", "Pro-Wire Command Deluxe" ]:
A. CEC on vs. off
B. CEC respond to power on/off commands vs. ignore power on/off commands

So on such a product you can leave CEC on for data communication reasons yet extinguish the annoying turning on and off of other products which flummoxes your universal remote IR commands.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there IS no concept of "accounting for personal taste/preference". As art consumers we don't "pick" the level of bass, nor the tint/brightness of a scene's sky, any more than we pick the ending of a novel or Mona Lisa's type of smile. "High fidelity" means "high truthfulness", faithful to the original artist's intent: an unmodified, neutral, accurate copy of the original master, ideally being exact and with no discernable alterations, aka "transparency".
post #808 of 809 Old 01-12-2017, 02:01 PM

The CEC issues only really apply to Harmony since it tries to keep track of input states. I don't use Harmony, so my universal has no problems at all coexisting with CEC. In fact, I have the best of both worlds, leveraging the automation of CEC plus the automation of my remote. Since I know CEC will do the input switching in certain cases, I simply omit those commands from my activity macros. Since you have no control over the content of Harmony activity macros, this isn't an option with Harmony. So with a FULLY programmable remote like mine, CEC is no problem and actually simplifies much of my programming.

Here's a wiki I made about my remote. It's far more programmable than Harmony and outperforms it in most respects. One Harmony feature it lacks of course is state tracking. But with CEC that's an advantage. And if your devices have discrete power and input commands available, you don't need any tracking.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo
post #809 of 809 Old 01-13-2017, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post
I always turn HDMI-CEC off even before I had my Harmony and used Univ. remotes with very customizable macros. CEC adds a layer of complexity that makes assumptions that from my perspective only cater to a limited audience: ones that have no universal remote at all or a product buried deep in a cabinet with a blocked IR sensor so sending command via the HDMI wire is used instead.

I also thought to add that on some products there are two different menu questions about CEC, or whatever pet name that particular company calls CEC ["Uni-control", "Master-Switcher", "Pro-Wire Command Deluxe" ]:
A. CEC on vs. off
B. CEC respond to power on/off commands vs. ignore power on/off commands

So on such a product you can leave CEC on for data communication reasons yet extinguish the annoying turning on and off of other products which flummoxes your universal remote IR commands.

So I turned off HDMI-CEC (Anynet+) on the Samsung KS800D, and ran an optical cable from the tv to the avr, and, voila, everything works as expected. I'm a bit annoyed that I couldn't find the CEC-Harmony conflict anywhere in Harmony support, but glad that I can finally move on and begin looking into/enjoying my new KS800D tv and Denon AVR.

Quote:
The CEC issues only really apply to Harmony since it tries to keep track of input states. I don't use Harmony, so my universal has no problems at all coexisting with CEC. In fact, I have the best of both worlds, leveraging the automation of CEC plus the automation of my remote. Since I know CEC will do the input switching in certain cases, I simply omit those commands from my activity macros. Since you have no control over the content of Harmony activity macros, this isn't an option with Harmony. So with a FULLY programmable remote like mine, CEC is no problem and actually simplifies much of my programming.

Here's a wiki I made about my remote. It's far more programmable than Harmony and outperforms it in most respects. One Harmony feature it lacks of course is state tracking. But with CEC that's an advantage. And if your devices have discrete power and input commands available, you don't need any tracking.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/inde...sight_and_Nevo
Thanks for the link mdavej, I've saved it for future reference--for now, I'm done with remotes, and want to focus on my new tv/avr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area