Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 697 Old 02-05-2010, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcricket View Post

The one little thing is the FF/Rev and Skip Forward/Back are reversed (vertically) when compared to the OEM DirecTV HR2x remotes. Takes a little getting used to - I found myself hitting "FF" when I wanted "skip 30 seconds" and "Rev" when I wanted "skip 8 seconds back".

Same, I reversed them in the software.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 697 Old 02-05-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananfish View Post

My question is: Are you 700 users happy with the feel of the buttons, particularly the transport buttons?

I'm controlling five components (TV, HR20, AVR, PS3, Logitech Music Anywhere), so the six component limit isn't an issue for me. (If I expand later, I could live without controlling the Music Anywhere thing too.)

What are the transport buttons?

And ps, unless you have the harmony adapter for the ps3, it doesn't count as a device, it has no IR.
post #123 of 697 Old 02-05-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orntar View Post

What are the transport buttons?

And ps, unless you have the harmony adapter for the ps3, it doesn't count as a device, it has no IR.

My use of "transport" referred to the buttons that control where in a recording you are, essentially FF, Rew, Play, Pause, Slow (where available), Skip, Stop. I think that's how I've seen the term used before, but I'm willing to be corrected on that. Those are the buttons that I'll use at least dozens of times a night. Menu, Guide, Exit and Info are also FUBs of mine (frequently used buttons).

You are correct about the PS3 of course. Just got my PS3 recently - I don't have the Harmony adapter but could get it some time in the future. So at least for now, the PS3 doesn't count toward the 6 device limit either.
post #124 of 697 Old 02-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananfish View Post

My use of "transport" referred to the buttons that control where in a recording you are, essentially FF, Rew, Play, Pause, Slow (where available), Skip, Stop. I think that's how I've seen the term used before, but I'm willing to be corrected on that. Those are the buttons that I'll use at least dozens of times a night. Menu, Guide, Exit and Info are also FUBs of mine (frequently used buttons).

You are correct about the PS3 of course. Just got my PS3 recently - I don't have the Harmony adapter but could get it some time in the future. So at least for now, the PS3 doesn't count toward the 6 device limit either.

ah, thats what I was thinking, but I have never heard of that term before.

I like the feel of all the buttons except any rockers. The vol, chan, 4-way, etc. those all click, I think they are microswitches. Not a big deal, but a little weird for a remote.

The rest are soft presumably that conductive rubber, and they are pretty responsive.
post #125 of 697 Old 02-10-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm looking for a replacement for my 680 which died after about 1 year of use. How durable is the 700? I've seen negative comments about the buttons, but in store they seemed fine to me.

Mike
post #126 of 697 Old 02-12-2010, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For the 700, how do you know when the battery is low or when the charge is complete? The only warning I got was when the battery died and I've had it plugged in for hours but it's still flashing the charging icon.

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #127 of 697 Old 02-12-2010, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post

For the 700, how do you know when the battery is low or when the charge is complete? The only warning I got was when the battery died and I've had it plugged in for hours but it's still flashing the charging icon.

I had the same problem. I filed a ticket with Logitech, so here is what they told me to do. Note that don't get any warning when the batteries are low until the remote stops working, but it did fix my issue of the batteries not charging correctly.

----------------------

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced some difficulties with your Harmony remote. It is possible a firmware upgrade in Safe Mode will resolve the issue. Please update the firmware on the remote and then re-update the configuration to the remote. To do so see below:

Try placing the remote into "Safe Mode". If you are not able to do this please continue to the next section.
1. Remove the battery from the remote.
2. Hold down the "Off" button on the remote and plug the remote into the USB cable.
3. Continue holding the "Off" button until the remote says "Safe Mode"

Update the firmware on the remote.
1. Login to your account through the Harmony remote software.
2. Click 'Downloads' and then select 'Firmware'
3. Follow the prompts to upgrade the firmware on the remote.
* Please note continue the Firmware upgrade process even if the software says you already have the latest firmware

Once you are finish, please update the remote with the configuration on the account by Clicking update remote.
post #128 of 697 Old 02-13-2010, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanamaMike View Post

I'm looking for a replacement for my 680 which died after about 1 year of use. How durable is the 700? I've seen negative comments about the buttons, but in store they seemed fine to me.

Mike

It's an OK remote, especially if you don't want to have a touch screen. IMHO the One is much better in every way, but costs more. I have both, and a 900 to boot.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #129 of 697 Old 02-17-2010, 03:26 PM

I'm looking at my 1st universal remote as I just got my 1st HD setup. (Tv/receiver/DVR/BD-player). I don't understand the allure of the ONE or the 900 over the 700. The 700 looks like it would do everything I need.

1) I see sites selling the 700 and sites selling the H700. Is there a difference?
2) Is there any compelling reason to get the 900 or ONE instead of the 700?

Thanks!
post #130 of 697 Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREDSMITH View Post

I'm looking at my 1st universal remote as I just got my 1st HD setup. (Tv/receiver/DVR/BD-player). I don't understand the allure of the ONE or the 900 over the 700. The 700 looks like it would do everything I need.

1) I see sites selling the 700 and sites selling the H700. Is there a difference?
2) Is there any compelling reason to get the 900 or ONE instead of the 700?

Thanks!

1) My guess is it's just as they listed it. It's the 700
2) The One had more device capability, a larger clearer touch screen (is that a good or bad for you?) It will also give you battery status. The cradle and more standard USB mini. The 900 is RF so that's another class, not a fair comparison.

Joe in West Los Angeles, CA
post #131 of 697 Old 02-25-2010, 11:11 AM

I purchased a Logitech Harmony 700 to control six things: HDTV, TiVo HD PVR, Sony HT-CT100 Speaker System, Blu-ray Player, Sony XDR-F1HD Radio Receiver and an Audio Switch. Prior to purchasing the speaker system and receiver I used the TiVo remote to control everything TV related. My new set up has a HDMI daisy chain go from TiVo to SAT input on A/V system and from TV output to the TV, so only HDMI 1 is being used.

I successfully programmed the Logitech remote to turn on/off the items needed to watch TV, play a movie and listen to the radio, but when try to enter a three digit number sequence to change channels it won't allow me to pick more then one number, and seems to be changing the TV inputs instead of the channels. Does anyone have an idea how to remedy this problem? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated?
post #132 of 697 Old 02-25-2010, 11:15 AM

so when you're in "watch TV" mode, the numbers change the TV channels, and not your Tivo...is that the problem?

go to the activity and set the numbers to map to the Tivo...they are currently mapped to the TV...

I hope I am not misunderstanding the problem and giving you a silly answer...

Anubys
post #133 of 697 Old 02-25-2010, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
^^^

Alternatively, when you first set up your activity, the wizard asks what device changes channels. You should have answered tivo. You can run the wizard again and fix it.

If you ever watch tv using the tv's tuner, you should have 2 activities - watch tv and watch tivo.
post #134 of 697 Old 02-25-2010, 11:47 AM

Yes. Cox is the cable company where we live and our HD channels start with 700 and up. If we're watching TV and I try to input a new channel number as soon as I've entered 7 we go from watching TV to the old snowy screen. Then I have to use the Tivo or Panasonic TV remote to sequence the input back to HDMI 1.
post #135 of 697 Old 03-02-2010, 02:27 PM

I have a new Harmony 700 and it works great. I tried to setup a "favorite channel" last night. (Dish Network, channel 112, HGTV). I uploaded a jpg for HDTV and it shows up fine.

Problem is, when I push it it seems to change to channel 11, if I push it again it goes to channel 12, or channel 1. (Combinations of 112).

Any idea what I set wrong?? It's on the right path, but not quite there.

Thanks.
post #136 of 697 Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 AM

Every time I update our Logitech 700 remote I have problems with the input selected the next time I push the Watch TV button. The TV will turn on but the input shown on the screen will cycle 2 to 3 steps forward (e.g. HDMI 1 appears on the screen and after about five seconds the input shows Video 1). Then I have to go thru the Help sequence to repair the input errors. Any ideas as to how to eliminate this reoccurring problem would be greatly appreciated?
post #137 of 697 Old 03-04-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 38
How often are you updating? I can't recall but I think my 880 used to do this when I updated as well as you are basically resetting the remote (and smart state)with an update. Once your settled in with all your devices it should really be a non issue as you won't need to update often or at all.
post #138 of 697 Old 03-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi - I just got my Harmony 700 today and it's growing on me. However, there are a few things I can't figure out.
1) How do you tell how much battery life is left. Does it tell you when the battery is low?

2) Because I have an older Onkyo receiver on the other end of my house (that controls my whole-house music), and I control it with a power-mid, I had to change the "Remote ID" on my TX-SR607 from the default (1), to 2. I had hoped there was a way to just tell the Harmony "use code-2", but apparently not, so I had to program all the commands via learning. Problem: Is there any way to program PowerOn and PowerOff? They're not on the remote, but without them, I can't really have the Harmony power the receiver when I press an activity key (or all off). Am I out of luck here?

3) Is there any way to control the -order- of the Activities on the screen? I know it's not a biggie because there are dedicated buttons, but I originally had my 2 'biggies' on the first screen, and when I added a minor 3rd activity it pushed my most important one to the 2nd screen. Can I control the order here?

4) Running WinXp Home SP3 on an otherwise pristine machine, I experience frequent hangs with the Harmony software. They happen only after I'm using it for more than 10 or 15 minutes. They're benign (all I have to do is completely exit the program and restart it and everything it fine). Is this a known issue?

5) I know that everything is "saved" to their website, but is there a local file I can copy out and back to have a local backup?

Thanks -very- much. I love the flexibility.
/j
post #139 of 697 Old 03-06-2010, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No way to change the order of Activities. Watch TV and Watch DVD are on not on the first page because there are hard buttons for them on the remote. A level 2 tech told me Thursday the Logitech is considering changing this.
post #140 of 697 Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 AM
Advanced Member

According to Harmony support
1) there's a low-battery indicator
2) SOL
3) SOL
4) no on-point issues in their database
5) didn't ask
Also - if you want to get a 2nd cable, I'm told it's a USB -micro- connector.

Also - if you just bought yours, know that the soon-to-ship 600 & 650 are essentially identical except
5 devices instead of 6
no rechargeable battery
monochrome display on 600
post #141 of 697 Old 03-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

When I select an activity, either the first time after updating the remote, or first time after hitting "All off" there is a long (1-2 min) delay - what's up with that?

thanks!
/j
post #142 of 697 Old 03-06-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 View Post

2) SOL
5) save config

2)Not necessarily. If you find/generate the pronto hex, they can add it. It's too complicated to go into here, but if you visit the JP1 forums and download a couple of programs and files (RM, MakeHex, and Onkyo master files), you can do it. There's a learning curve, but once you understand how to do it, you can add all kinds of discretes.

5)If you use myremotesetup.com, you can save the config offline. That's a little tricky to, but I find it easiest to do in chrome. Keep in mind this backup won't be editable, but you can load it into the remote as often as you like even if you're not connected to the internet.

I've never seen the delay you describe.
post #143 of 697 Old 03-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

mdavej - thanks - I'll dig into this stuff. Maybe you could help me with one other thing? Someone on the other forum suggested I deal with the remote-id issue (#2) by just treating it as an unknown remote and using "Confirm IR". the problem is that I've already programmed many of the keys for the unit from the "original remote" and I need to undo that so it can re-learn - how do I 'start over" for this unit and try it that way without deleting the device? (if there is a way). I basically just want to erase all the overrides i programmed in and let it use the 'database' after having done a 'confirm ir'.

Thanks!!!
/j
post #144 of 697 Old 03-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Saw that the $15.00 rebate expired on Amazon.com, I emailed customer service and they credited me the $15.00 anyway.

I didn't really need it because my 880 still works great, but I guess I will move the 880 to the bedroom now.

SEGA! was seriously injured, but the soul still BURNS!

Fixed my ONKYO HTS-6100\HTR667:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHxThGxasQ
post #145 of 697 Old 03-17-2010, 06:22 PM

i bought the harmony 700 today and i see the buttons to the side of the lcd and above the lcd do not light up (are not backlit). all other buttons below the lcd light up fine. is this normal?

also, how do i know the remote is done charging? it's been plugged in for a few hours and the charging indicator is still animated as if it's charging.

edit: the chargin indicator now has a check mark. i was just being impatient
post #146 of 697 Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM

yup thats normal.

SEGA! was seriously injured, but the soul still BURNS!

Fixed my ONKYO HTS-6100\HTR667:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHxThGxasQ
post #147 of 697 Old 03-17-2010, 06:39 PM

hmm am i the only person bothered by that? the top buttons are the most important
post #148 of 697 Old 03-17-2010, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You usually don't switch activities that often.
post #149 of 697 Old 03-17-2010, 07:54 PM

yes you are right haha

it's just the little things that can bug me.

thanks for the replies, guys
post #150 of 697 Old 03-18-2010, 11:10 AM

yup, Harmony remotes need a bluetooth adaptor for the ps3
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page