Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 697 Old 08-17-2010, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmiggyjk View Post

About to switch from a 550 to a 700. I have 7 devices now, which will be fine, but plan on adding a new TV (42 to 55 inches) later this year or early next. Should I maybe consider adding potential TV's I have been eyeballing now with the 550's account so I don't hit the device limit when I do upgrade TVs?

That would be a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 697 Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow, loving this remote so far over my 550.

My only major complaint is that you can't reorganize activities on the LCD. Why the hell did Logitech do that when you could reorder them on older remotes? That is just annoying.

I love the buttons. Not too spongy, not too firm, and they don't "click" nor are they a hard press. Feels much more ergonomic than the 550 which is nice.

My favorite feature so far though is the favorite TV channels menu in combination with iconharmony. That is so sweet. Makes it super easy for my girlfriend and I to hit up the favorites that I still don't remember numbers for.

I added the 3 prospective TV buys of mine in the next few months, though I don't know if they will register down the road as one of them wasn't in the database. Will that still work? So technically I am at 10 devices right now, three of them being potential new TV buys.

All in all I am impressed. Only used it for about a day but if anything else creeps up I'll come complaining.
post #213 of 697 Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
You can re-order the activities if you program from the web site. It takes a little trial and error, but it will work.

As for devices, go ahead and add as many as possible. If one isn't in the database, use a similar existing model, and the codes will likely work. Those that don't work can be learned. I have 12 devices on my 700 at the moment.
post #214 of 697 Old 08-20-2010, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

... I have 12 devices on my 700 at the moment.

I thought the 700 had a limit on the number of devices or is it just the number of activities ?
post #215 of 697 Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

The 700 has a 6 device limit. But you can break that limit by using the 700 to "replace" another harmony with more devices. Breaking the limit is the point of the last few posts, which is to add as many devices as you can right off the bat. It only works if you have another harmony to begin with. And if you ever delete a device you can never add another until you're down to 5 devices. I think you are limited to 255 activities like all harmonys. See THIS and other related posts earlier in this thread.
post #216 of 697 Old 08-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Does this remote function when it is charging?
post #217 of 697 Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

No. Even if it did, it would be very awkward to use since the charging cable is only a couple of feet long and sticks out of the front of the remote. It doesn't have a charging cradle like higher end models.
post #218 of 697 Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM

im having difficulties getting my samsung 46" led tv to switch inputs. i've tried using the "help" option and can finally get it to switch inputs however the "source" screen stays up. Anybody run into a similar problem?
post #219 of 697 Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Hi all, this is probably just a harmony remote in general question but since I have the 700 I will ask here. When I try to teach a certain command, say the volume up and down on a blu ray player. When i go to teach the volume, there is no volume up and down in the drop down menu. What I do is just pick out a command I am not using and and put it in the slot, which works but it seems there could be a way to put the right command in there. I guess there is none in the drop down menu because it is a blu ray player. I am teaching the volume for the blu ray from my receiver. Thanks, and hope you understand what I am asking.

Dale B
post #220 of 697 Old 09-24-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The best way to use these these remotes is to use activities. Just make a "Watch Blu-ray" activity, and the software will let you specify the receiver volume. That way you can mix as many different devices as you like without teaching.

If you insist on adding some other device's functions to your blu-ray device by learning, you would create new commands and name them whatever you like, not overwrite existing ones. However, you're really doing this the hard way.
post #221 of 697 Old 09-27-2010, 11:13 AM

In this archive thread I learn that the Harmony DB has the discrete codes to turn on/off specific ReplayTVs that have been set up with unique IDs.

I have two RTVs and have ordered a Harmony 700 over the past weekend. When I set it up, assuming I want to directly operate only one RTV at any given time, do I program the Harmony to see the RTVs as one device or two?

Seems like I should be able to set up just one ReplayTV device and operate them with multiple activities. (Thus saving one device in the device count)

Each activity could select a specific RTV by ID (and switch the AVR input to that specific RTV). Then only that RTV should respond to any subsequent codes. Correct?

However, the question arises as to how I would switch back and forth between the RTVs with this setup. If I have only one device entered, will the 700 see that "The RTV device" is already turned on and fail to send the turn-on to the 2nd RTV?

With the RTVs as separate devices, I have exactly 6 devices. Maybe the simplest approach is to burn two devices in the count?
post #222 of 697 Old 10-13-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4walkowiakj View Post

im having difficulties getting my samsung 46" led tv to switch inputs. i've tried using the "help" option and can finally get it to switch inputs however the "source" screen stays up. Anybody run into a similar problem?

you are using an activity? it doesn't switch inputs at powering on or every time?
Did you try Device (TV) -> Settings -> "Re-do setup for this device" and choose another method for changing inputs (probably method 2)?
post #223 of 697 Old 10-14-2010, 06:02 AM

Is there a way to tell the 700 to make the receiver the default for adjusting volume? It does it when I'm in any activity, but if I do to cable box, DVD or Tv it adjusts the volume of that individual component.
post #224 of 697 Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livlif View Post

Is there a way to tell the 700 to make the receiver the default for adjusting volume? It does it when I'm in any activity, but if I do to cable box, DVD or Tv it adjusts the volume of that individual component.

Well your receiver would be in any activity for those devices ... so if you're watching a DVD, the receiver controls volume ... etc. So I'm not sure what you're asking. You want to control the receiver outside an activity? I guess I'm not understanding what you want to do.
post #225 of 697 Old 10-14-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

You should really try to avoid device mode and make activities for everything. That's the way harmony was meant to be used. If you insist on using device mode a lot, just learn your receiver volume (and mute) to every device and customize the vol buttons to match.
post #226 of 697 Old 10-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Now that u explain it that way. It makes sense just to stick to activities. Thanks!
post #227 of 697 Old 10-19-2010, 11:54 AM

Picked up the Harmony 700 a few weeks ago. Setup was easy and am generally satisfied with it.

Today however I decided to customize the sequence of the additional buttons that appear under my devices (namely my Yamaha receiver). Logged into the software, went to the devices tab and proceeded to access the page which shows the default additional buttons. Grabbed the ones from page 7 that I use a lot and proceeded to move them up to page 1. Connected the remote and updated - and nothing. The buttons are still in the same sequence as previously.

My next step was to contact Logitech support where I was told that what I was attempting to do is not possible and that I should customize some additional buttons under activities instead. Guess I can do that and the result will be the same but this still begs the question: Why does the Logitech software allow you to customize the sequence of additional buttons for a device when this change is not supported on the device. Why would someone design software to do something that isn't possible?

My conclusion is that the technician I was dealing with was wrong, but... Has anybody else had this experience?
post #228 of 697 Old 10-19-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

You made your changes in the wrong place. Devices and activities have different and unrelated custom buttons. If you rearranged the buttons in device mode, you'll see the changes in device mode, but you won't see those changes in activity mode. You have to rearrange them in each activity as well (or instead of).
post #229 of 697 Old 10-19-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:

You made your changes in the wrong place. Devices and activities have different and unrelated custom buttons. If you rearranged the buttons in device mode, you'll see the changes in device mode, but you won't see those changes in activity mode. You have to rearrange them in each activity as well (or instead of).

I agree with you. Let me clarify - I rearranged the buttons in device mode and the changes were not mirrored on the remote when selecting the same device (not activity). Logitech support said you can't rearrange device add'l buttons using their software (although the software allows this) and expect to see the buttons rearranged on the remote. It doesn't make sense.
post #230 of 697 Old 10-19-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmm... I've rearranged the buttons on my 700 many times on all 12 of my devices. Are you sure the update finished successfully? What happens if you delete a button and add a different one in its place? Does the members.harmonyremote.com site work for you? This is definitely not normal. You may have to create a new account.

Just to be clear, you can't change the order of the devices themselves, but you can certainly rearrange individual functions within devices.
post #231 of 697 Old 10-19-2010, 09:24 PM

Just tried your suggestion of using members.harmonyremote.com - same result. Additional device buttons are in original order. I will contact Logitech support again tomorrow with my case number from today and escalate. Will post results here to complete this exchange.
post #232 of 697 Old 10-20-2010, 12:08 PM

So, bottom line, after going through three levels of technical support is that the software supports something that can't be reflected on the remote. In other words you can't customize additional device buttons. These are hard coded by Logitech themselves and will always override any changes you think you are making.

Interestingly, the last technician did mention that this is a known issue which is being addressed in the next version of the software. She stated that the new user interface is currently in development and some early QA is taking place. She expected that it may be released within the next two months. If any of you are familiar with the life cycle of software development, you'll probably agree with me saying it will be longer than that - it's essentially still in coding.
post #233 of 697 Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, I was a beta tester for the "new" interface she's talking about. It rearranges buttons just fine, but overall it's is much worse than the current software. It looks pretty, but it's missing a huge amount of functionality. I was told that all the missing features I pointed out will never be added. For starters, you can only have 4 activities, period. You can't create sequences, add commands to the start or end of activities, or adjust delays or repeats. When the new software is available my advice is to stay far far away.
post #234 of 697 Old 10-20-2010, 11:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

FWIW, I was a beta tester for the "new" interface she's talking about. It rearranges buttons just fine, but overall it's is much worse than the current software. It looks pretty, but it's missing a huge amount of functionality. I was told that all the missing features I pointed out will never be added. For starters, you can only have 4 activities, period. You can't create sequences, add commands to the start or end of activities, or adjust delays or repeats. When the new software is available my advice is to stay far far away.

Thanks for the warning! good to know in advance. Looks like Harmony is an incredible shrinking remote. Pretty soon we'll down to one button
post #235 of 697 Old 10-21-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:

Wow! Thanks for the info. I've been researching lately and thinking of getting a 700 or One, but now I guess I'll just stick to my old URC MX-700.
post #236 of 697 Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

My hope is the old software will continue to work indefinitely on existing models for compatibility reasons. I assume the new web software was developed so they don't have to put a disk in the box anymore. I still can't figure out why they keep removing major features on purpose. They could have the best product on the market if they'd stop crippling it.
post #237 of 697 Old 10-23-2010, 07:27 PM

I decided to give the Harmony 700 a try. Ordered from Amazon last night, it got here around noon today. Plugged it up to charge. Came back 2 hrs later to check on it, but there was a message on screen saying "Batteries could not be charged." Re-seated them and tried again. ~3 hours later it was charged (whew!). Btw, mine did not come with the esteemed Sanyo Eneloop's I've seen in reviews, but 2000mAh GS YUASA "Eni Time" which also tout very low self-discharge rates.

I then made a new account after downloading the software (no CD was included, not that I'd use it anyways), and about 5 minutes later, plus the time to sync the remote (~2 min), it was setup and working beautifully! I was worried it was going to be a pain or something after all the reading I did... but wow it was very simple.

Having been accustomed to the URC software for so many years, the Harmony turned out to be easy. I was afraid it wouldn't be customizable enough to my liking, but I was able to get it to do everything I needed rather quickly. Even adding extra power-down options and a couple of macros were no problem. One odd default setting-- it had a 26 or 28 second startup time for my TV. Rather excessive... I use only 13 seconds on the old remote, so I lowered that setting a lot!

Oh and I'm sure my wife will love the Help button, which seemed to work great.

I was worried the IR emitter may not be as powerful as the MX-700, but it worked just as well: success while pointed in almost any direction.

The auto-backlighting is very handy. I wish the sensitivity could be adjusted, it's not as sensitive as I thought it would be. But maybe this is a good thing? I set it to 15-seconds, which seems to be good. Also, the backlighting behind the number pad area is uneven-- some numbers are brighter, some dimmer, but this doesn't bother me since I don't use the number pad.

One other minor thing-- I wish the LCD screen had a bit better viewing angle. But overall, I'm very impressed! Feels solid and has good size & weight... much smaller and lighter than the MX-700, which is actually kinda nice for a change. Now I'm thinking of getting a 600 or 650 for a different room.
post #238 of 697 Old 10-30-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_macleod View Post

For instance, if I set my sleep timer on my TV / Receiver (for when I doze ont the couch and don't want to waste power) then the next day I have to manually turn my TV on, because the remote thinks its still on.

Is there a way to get around this issue? Using the TV's sleep timer confuses the 700.
post #239 of 697 Old 10-30-2010, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennelm View Post

Is there a way to get around this issue? Using the TV's sleep timer confuses the 700.

No, I contacted Logitech about this. Apparently you can with some of the more expensive remotes, but not the 700.
post #240 of 697 Old 10-30-2010, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

My $5 JP1 remote can do it by sending a discrete on every time. But you can do it too by adding an extra discrete on to the start of your activity.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page