Harmony 700 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like there is a new entry level remote from Harmony, the 700.

From the Harmony blog,

At Harmony, we're pretty passionate about creating fantastic control experiences for all sorts of entertainment systems. Announced today, the Logitech Harmony 700 Remote gives people the power to control home-theater systems with up to six devices in a stylish package that's easy enough for the entire family to use.
Over the last few years, we've really focused on the details that make a remote enjoyable to use. For the Harmony 700, we included hard buttons for the activities you use most often, a color LCD screen for easy browsing of your favorite channel icons, texture and paint finishes that feel great and resist fingerprints and perfectly shaped, back-lit, soft-touch buttons.

But Harmony 700 isn't just beautiful, it's brainy too. One of the most interesting features of the Harmony 700 is the way it can help you recover from incorrect delay settings. IR delays are pretty complicated stuff, and when they're not set correctly you might experience a device not turning on or an input not being switched correctly when starting an activity such as Watch TV. Now, with Harmony 700, if you use the on-remote Help button repeatedly to solve the same delay-related problem, the remote will recognize that and prompt you to fix the setting right on the remote.

And to make sure the Harmony 700 is always ready to entertain, it's rechargeable. In fact, the same USB cable that you use to program the remote connects to an AC adaptor that plugs into the wall. So whether you want to recharge your remote, or reprogram it, the cable is always handy.

From Engadget,

If Logitech's multifaceted Harmony 900 seemed a bit too rich for your blood, why not give the whole universal remote thing another chance with the Harmony 700? Priced at $149.99, this entry-level clicker packs an awful lot of promise into a package that practically any serious home theater junkie will be able to finance. Designed to replace a half-dozen remotes in your current setup, the 700 features a color display, rechargeable AA batteries and one-click control of your favorite activities. As with every other new Harmony, this one too can be connected to your Mac or PC and programmed via the internet to control whatever components you rely on -- "from Betamax to Blu-ray" as Logitech so eloquently puts it. Details beyond that are few and far between, but we're guessing the outfit's keeping things as simple as possible here as to not befuddle the target market.

At a $150 MSRP I'm guessing this will go for less than $100 on Amazon.

From Gizmodo,

The $150 Logitech Harmony 700 is much like their other non-touchscreen universal remotes in that you have a load of physical buttons to push. However, the 700 is difference since it gives you four physically labeled activity keys.

When using Logitech remotes, the point is to let the remote know every single appliance in your setup so you can focus on "activities", such as watching TV, or playing your Xbox, or watching a Blu-ray on your PS3. That way your remote knows exactly which thing needs to be onand which boxes don'tfor what you want to do. Since these activities are now tied to a separate physical button, you can just hit that button instead of scrolling through a list in order to get where you're going. It saves a few seconds each time, but adds up over years of TV watching.

Other features on the 700 include a color LCD screen, rechargeable AAs and compatibility with the standard Logitech remote setup program. It will be available in September.

"Racing is........Life.......Everything before & after is just waiting"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 07:15 AM

i read about that this morning too, it looks amazing. but do harmony remotes really need an additional piece of hardware to connect to a PS3? i only have a ps3 remote, receiver remote, and tv remote and the only thing i ever use the tv remote for is the power button....spending $100 and only knocking out two of the three seems kind of pointless.
post #3 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 AM

Its on Amazon right now for $149

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...=harmony%20700

How much better is the Harmony One for only $30 more?

$179

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00119T6NQ

Both free shipping...
post #4 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by kana3883 View Post

i read about that this morning too, it looks amazing. but do harmony remotes really need an additional piece of hardware to connect to a PS3? i only have a ps3 remote, receiver remote, and tv remote and the only thing i ever use the tv remote for is the power button....spending $100 and only knocking out two of the three seems kind of pointless.

Blame Sony for not including a $2 IR receiver on the PS3. Also, this remote is $150 not $100. You can get limited IR control of the PS3 using the ~$15 Nyko USB receiver or full IR control using the $40 PS3IR-500. I personally would avoid the Harmony PS3 adapter since it isn't firmware updateable.

The One has a touch screen, can control 15 devices, and has a charging cradle. The 700 just has a display with the buttons on the side, controls 6 devices, and has a charging plug. I would get the One over the 700 at that price for sure, but keep in mind that the 700 was just released today and the One has been around for awhile. The 700 shouldn't be $149 for very long... The retail price of the 700 is its current sale price, but the One retails for $249 and sales for $179.

post #5 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansj View Post

Blame Sony for not including a $2 IR receiver on the PS3. Also, this remote is $150 not $100. You can get limited IR control of the PS3 using the ~$15 Nyko USB receiver or full IR control using the $40 PS3IR-500. I personally would avoid the Harmony PS3 adapter since it isn't firmware updateable.

The One has a touch screen, can control 15 devices, and has a charging cradle. The 700 just has a display with the buttons on the side, controls 6 devices, and has a charging plug. I would get the One over the 700 at that price for sure, but keep in mind that the 700 was just released today and the One has been around for awhile. The 700 shouldn't be $149 for very long... The retail price of the 700 is its current sale price, but the One retails for $249 and sales for $179.

For somebody that has 6 or fewer devices, or has larger fingers or arthritis, the 700 looks like a much better choice than the One. Touch screens require you to look at a screen, scroll through lists, perhaps even flip pages, and then press a touch screen button. Some people have trouble hitting the touch screen buttons with precision. It is much too easy to accidentally activate the wrong "button". With the 700, your most commonly used activities can be accessed by a press of a hard button that can be accessed more quickly without searching for it or without looking at it. The only downside I can see is there are only 2 rows of commands on the 700's screen vs the 3 rows on the One's. You may have to flip through more pages to get to the commands or activities you need, although your 4 most commonly used activities will still be accessible with dedicated hard buttons and no page flipping. For a smaller systems like bedroom systems, the 700 remote might be more appealing and certainly more economic than the ONE. What's appealing is you many not have to look at the screen as often, and you should be able to operate it with one hand more often than not, something you can't do with a touch screen.

The charging cradle of the ONE is nice, but I don't see any problem with just plugging in the remote for a recharge. I would bet, too, that because there is no touch screen, you won't be needing to charge the 700 as often as the One, making a cradle not as much of a necessity with the 700 as with the ONE.
post #6 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

I've had a 700 for awhile, and it is a nice remote - as long as you can live with the 6 device limit. There are enough hard buttons that I rarely, if ever, use the screen. And as a DirecTV customer, the colored buttons are a very nice addition (which the One doesn't have).

Battery life is great - I've been getting 10-14+ days between charges. The remote warns you when it is low on battery, which should give you enough to use it until you can plug it in while you're away from the TV.

I would have liked to see the 700 priced lower, but I would expect it will come down in time on sites like Amazon if past Harmony remotes are any indication.
post #7 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 11:29 AM

Does the 700 support sequences? Meaning, can you program one button to do multiple things like with all other Harmony remotes with the exception of the Harmony 900 and 1100?

Thanks
post #8 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis220 View Post

Does the 700 support sequences? Meaning, can you program one button to do multiple things like with all other Harmony remotes with the exception of the Harmony 900 and 1100?

Thanks

Yes, it supports sequences like in other Harmony remotes.
post #9 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 08:29 PM

I see the 700 has color buttons (red, blue, yellow, green). Why'd it take so long for Logitech to make a remote that had them?

"I bought a new camera. It's very advanced. You don't even need it."

- Steven Wright

post #10 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
They've had one for a few years now. The xbox 360 harmony also has twice the devices, back-lighting, and is less than half the price of the 700. It does, however, lack the 700's great ergonomics, color screen, and rechargeable battery.
[IMG]http://s.**************/static/attachments/12250_picture1.png[/IMG]
post #11 of 697 Old 09-03-2009, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I like the color buttons, but I'm still hoping for a One with color buttons (not the 900 with missing sequences). My 880 is getting harder and harder to use due to malfunctioning buttons.
post #12 of 697 Old 09-04-2009, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
as with the other harmony remotes, i have added a 700 database and icons to iconharmony.com. the limited beta set is currently up and as it's a newer remote i'll be adding more channel icons by request.
,r

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #13 of 697 Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The 700 shouldn't be $149 for very long...

I hope they drop the price sooner rather than later.
I'm in the market to replace my aging, but beloved, HTM MX500. The backlight went dead long ago... Plus I think an activity-based remote would be welcomed by my wife.
I've been eyeing a refurb 670 for $60. But if I could pick up a new 700 for ~$120 I'd be happy with that.
Aesthetically, IMO, the 700 looks WAY better than the 670 (or pretty much every other Harmony remote).

My gallery

XBL: A CLAN OF ONE
PSN: A_CLAN_OF_ONE
post #14 of 697 Old 09-10-2009, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure I understand the 6 device limit. Does that mean you can't have more than 6 devices stored on the remote or 6 devices in one activity? If it's the latter then that's fine. It it's the former then that seems really arbitrary and stupid.

I have 7 devices on my system (TV, receiver, HD DVR, SD DVR, DVD Player, VCR, PS2) and I currently use a Harmony 880. Unfortunately after about 1.5 years many of the 880 buttons have stopped working unless you press really hard on the button. I was looking at the Harmony one but I don't really want to pay that much and I like the one press activity buttons that the 700 provides. Why would Harmony limit the 700 to six devices? I can't imagine that it makes the remote more expensive to build if it allows for more devices. It just seems so arbitrary a number. Are they just trying to force you into buying a more expensive model? I might just wait until I phase out my SD DVR (it's there only for some old recordings on it right now) and then get the 700.
post #15 of 697 Old 09-10-2009, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post

Unfortunately after about 1.5 years many of the 880 buttons have stopped working unless you press really hard on the button.

If you paid with a credit card you might still have .5 years of warranty protection. They will send you a check for the purchase price of your broken remote or the price of a replacement, whichever is less. You can buy any remote as a replacement.

Here is the info for Visa.

post #16 of 697 Old 09-10-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:

If you paid with a credit card you might still have .5 years of warranty protection. They will send you a check for the purchase price of your broken remote or the price of a replacement, whichever is less. You can buy any remote as a replacement.

Here is the info for Visa.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I can't find my original receipt so I can't prove my purchase date or purchase price. I need to learn to hold onto receipts better.
post #17 of 697 Old 09-10-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I can't find my original receipt so I can't prove my purchase date or purchase price. I need to learn to hold onto receipts better.

I had purchased my 890, that was dropped too many times, on Amazon so my receipt was just a quick order history + print away.

post #18 of 697 Old 09-23-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post

Yes, it supports sequences like in other Harmony remotes.

Is there a limit to the number of button presses in the sequence? I hear some remotes have a max of 5

I just bought the 700 to replace a 676 (too many buttons on it not working anymore and I've run out of ways to work around them)...but I want to add sequences (e.g. to get to the prioritizer)...

that would be menu, down, down down, down, enter, down down down, enter (or something close to that anyway)...a lot more than 5 presses in that sequence!

Anubys
post #19 of 697 Old 09-23-2009, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post

Is there a limit to the number of button presses in the sequence? I hear some remotes have a max of 5

I just bought the 700 to replace a 676 (too many buttons on it not working anymore and I've run out of ways to work around them)...but I want to add sequences (e.g. to get to the prioritizer)...

that would be menu, down, down down, down, enter, down down down, enter (or something close to that anyway)...a lot more than 5 presses in that sequence!

I actually went back to a 676 from my One just because I REALLY hate having to hit the 'activities' button and then hit a button on the touch screen to switch activities.
Other then that the One was excellent.

The 700 has me intrigued because it looks like it has a great button layout and seperate 'hard' activity keys.

I would really love to hear some updates on how you like going from a 676 to a 700.

Revo Ion...XBMC For Windows...Dharma RC2
post #20 of 697 Old 09-23-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post

I actually went back to a 676 from my One just because I REALLY hate having to hit the 'activities' button and then hit a button on the touch screen to switch activities.
Other then that the One was excellent.

The 700 has me intrigued because it looks like it has a great button layout and seperate 'hard' activity keys.

I would really love to hear some updates on how you like going from a 676 to a 700.

right now, I have the prev, mute, A, and B buttons programmed to do the red, yellow, green, and blue on my 676 (wow, the 676 is $35 now?! I bought it for close to $200)...by getting those buttons already on the 700, that frees up 4 buttons right there AND, I don't have to remember the mapping (prev=yellow, mute=red...etc.)...

the 700 does not have the pic and sound buttons that the 676 has, but those were buttons I never had use for and you were not allowed to map them to something else anyway...so losing two useless buttons is a plus to me!

so I can't imagine this remote being worse than the 676...

it's very light and I'm not happy about it charging only from the the wall (why not recharge from the usb port on my laptop?) and I'm yet to see how the sequence will be programmed and other functions...I will have rechargeable batteries ready to swap in case it needs a charge at at bad time...

with young children, I won't get to program and play with it until Friday night...but will give it a good workout Sunday with the NFL ST...so I will make sure I come back and report to this thread what I've done...

Anubys
post #21 of 697 Old 09-23-2009, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but I want to add sequences (e.g. to get to the prioritizer)...

Yes there's a 5 command limit on sequences. But if this is a Tivo, then the SP manager can be reached in two commands (Tivo + "1") or more reliably (doesn't work if already on top menu) in 3 (List + Tivo + "1").
post #22 of 697 Old 09-23-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Tu View Post

Yes there's a 5 command limit on sequences. But if this is a Tivo, then the SP manager can be reached in two commands (Tivo + "1") or more reliably (doesn't work if already on top menu) in 3 (List + Tivo + "1").

unfortunately, I have HR20s and HR21s...getting to the todo and the season passes is a lot of presses...a lot more than 5, that's for sure...

Anubys
post #23 of 697 Old 09-23-2009, 05:15 PM

First, let me say I have the best wife in the world...she saw that I had a new toy and the agony of not being able to play with it and she let me off the hook to go play :up:

First, I login and tell it that I'm replacing my existing remote. Software gives me two options: set up a new account (which would let me start from scratch by telling it all my devices and move on from there -- to heck with that!) or to stay on my current account and migrate everything (but not any custom mapping).

I chose to stay with the same account and migrate.

first mistake: I did not check the devices. I assumed the migration went smoothly there. It did not. It added a generic PVR device in place of my HR20 (the HR20 was listed as well just like I set it up). It also added a generic game console in addition to my PS3. Once I discovered this, I had to delete those devices.

I started out with 7 devices (2 TVs, 2 DVRs, 1 receiver, 1 PS3, and 1 DVD/VHS recorder). So I had to delete something. I chose the little TV, Which I only use on Sundays for the NFL ST so I can turn it on manually anyway.

Second: since it kept my activities, so I went ahead and set up the mapping to my liking. Kept the default except:

1. Info was mapped to List. I hardly ever use Info but use List 100 times a night.
2. + was mapped to -
3. Stop was mapped to - (I use the stop exclusively as a -- to delete recordings from the playlist)

Third: I created my sequences. you can have many (the remote screen will show 4 per page but you can scroll through more pages). I don't like to scroll through pages and I only need 3 anyway.

I set button 1 (top left) to get me to the ToDo list (menu, down, down, down, select). I would have to press one more select...so it would be button 1, then select to get to the ToDo
I set button 2 (top right) to simply be the info button
I set up button 3 (bottom left) to get me to prioritizer (first, press button 1, the button 3 (down, down, down, down, select)
I set up button 4 to turn CC on or off (yellow, down, down, select) will turn it either on or off depending on whether it's off or on!

sequence is machine dependent, so I had to create each sequence twice (once for each DVR I have). That was a pain. Much better if the sequences were there and I just changed the device when creating the second set.

Fourth: I set up the activity buttons. These did not transfer correctly from the 676. Not a big deal, took 5 seconds to fix.

Fifth, I plugged the remote and updated. Firmware updated from 2.2 to 2.4 (latest) and remote was updated.

Nothing was happening on the remote after the update. it looked dead. This is when I checked the devices (see mistake 1 above) and found all the extra devices. Deleted the extra devices, made sure all the activities were still there and updated the remote.

Still dead remote.

I took out the batteries (I charged them last night) and reset them. Remote is alive. Yay!

Big Mistake number 2: I then went into the remote settings (software) and told it to turn the glow after 10 seconds (default is 15) and to sense for the remote tilting (if you tilt the remote, it lights up to show you the screen...cool!)...when I clicked save and went to my activities, they were all erased! CRAP...I have to set all my activities from scratch!

thankfully, when I started to set them up, it remembered all the settings (TV on Video 7, receiver on video 2...etc.) so really all I had to do is walk each activity through the wizard to reset them back to normal...WHEW!

Annoying thing department: I would have liked to map a button (such as mute) to do the CC on/Off sequence. You can't do that. Well, at least I couldn't figure out how to do it...I never use the mute or the prev button and it would have been neater for me to set a sequence to them instead of the buttons up top on the screen.

For whatever reason, something I did as I was fixing the activities and stuff deleted the mapping of sequences to one of the 2 DVRs...but the sequence itself remained...I thought the problem was I named the sequences the same thing for both DVRs but that was not the problem. I remapped them for the one DVR missing them and it was fine.

Last problem: the software deleted my account info (username and password) from memory. So once I logged out, I had to go find out what my username and passwords were to log in again. Very annoying.

As to the remote: I played with it for about 15 minutes. It feels GREAT...I love the feel of the buttons...the layout is already easy for me to use without looking (except for the sequence buttons on top)...the remote fits beautifully in my hand, it is very light. I suggest not activating remote assistant...if you've used a Harmony before, it just gets in the way...

other than the 6 device restriction, this is a HUGE improvement over the 676. I have not tested it with the PS3 (which is really the Nyko remote that is the device) or with my DVD/VHS player...that will have to wait...

Anubys
post #24 of 697 Old 09-23-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Thanks for the detailed report. Good to know those gotcha's.

There is a way around the 5 step sequence limit. If you program the macros on some other remote, you can teach harmony several steps per button as raw learns. For example, if you have a 15 step macro, break it up into 5 3-step macros on another remote. Teach each of those to 5 buttons on the harmony in raw learn mode. Then use those 5 buttons in your sequence, and, voila, 15 step macro. I happen to have a remote that can play back macros extremely fast, so I can easily get a 15 step macro in a single raw learn.

Staying with that thought, raw learns may also be a way around the 6 device limit. IOW, you could probably just learn every button of a 7th device on an existing device. Of course you'd have to do a lot more work to use it in activites, and would really have no device mode, but it should work.
post #25 of 697 Old 09-23-2009, 06:15 PM

hmmm...good idea...maybe I can teach the 676 the sequence and then raw learn it with the 700...my biggest macro is 9 presses...

a few more observations before I go to bed

1. turn off the tilt...it sounds nice but if you're one who holds the remote in your hands, it will drain the batteries real quick since it will "glow on" every time you move your hand.

2. the OK (select) button is WAY too small...half the size of any other button...so you have to make your thumb "small" to press it without pressing the direction buttons. Only 45 minutes with it, and my thumb was tired...

3. if you're used to the 676 layout, the Exit button was on top of the Menu button...on the 700, it's the reverse...so every time I tried to press Exit, I pressed Menu...why in the world would they change that?!

ok...off to bed...

Anubys
post #26 of 697 Old 09-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post

it's very light and I'm not happy about it charging only from the the wall (why not recharge from the usb port on my laptop?) and I'm yet to see how the sequence will be programmed and other functions...I will have rechargeable batteries ready to swap in case it needs a charge at at bad time...

Has anyone else tried to charge it from a laptop USB port? Any luck?
What kind of rechargable batteries does it come with? Special ones or regular AA's?
post #27 of 697 Old 09-25-2009, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginigma View Post

Has anyone else tried to charge it from a laptop USB port? Any luck?
What kind of rechargable batteries does it come with? Special ones or regular AA's?

i've charged it from my laptop usb, while the laptop was plugged in. no problem there. the batteries in mine are aa hr6 rechargeables.

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #28 of 697 Old 09-26-2009, 10:32 AM

a little more info

1. All the Nyko mapping was gone for the PS3...which is expected since it was all custom and changing remotes does not migrate the custom mapping.

2. SystemMenu on my DVD recorder was not a button available for some reason. So I had to teach it to the 700...worked the first time. cool...

3. The Additional Buttons (4 buttons next to the screen) were already mapped by default for my PS3. I wanted to move the default buttons to page 2 so I can make page 1 X, circle, square, and triangle...too long a story to explain but the way you want to do this is move button 4 down to 8, then button 3 down down to 7...etc. You don't want to move button 1 to 5 first...it doesn't really work smoothly that way...

Anubys
post #29 of 697 Old 09-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

$150 for a remote that only supports 6 devices. Surely they jest.
post #30 of 697 Old 09-26-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTAnderson View Post

$150 for a remote that only supports 6 devices. Surely they jest.

I'm sure the price will go down eventually...this should be $90...I would have waited for the price to go down but my 676 had too many buttons not working anymore so I bit the bullet...

here's hoping the 6 device limit is purely software and they can increase it to 8...this would be my perfect remote at 8 devices...

Anubys
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page