Mx-880 v q50 v tsu9200 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-26-2009, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as I've been quoted these are all similar 'price wise'....
Interested in people thoughts on whether these three are in the same price bracket and hence comparable.

Assuming they are, it's open season to "lay the smack down" on what they think is better and why!
Harmony 900 doesn't even get a look in as Logitech in their wisdom decide to remove sequences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-26-2009, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm delaying the URC thing but I'm still interested in hearing from those who've had plenty of exposure to these 3 vendors remotes...
post #3 of 7 Old 09-26-2009, 12:03 PM

I have never programmed or used a pronto remote so I can't comment on them.

The MX-880 would be the perfect remote if it supported "if statements, toggles and unlimited variables" The button placements and over all feel of this remote is perfect. Unfortunately the lack of flexibility offered, eliminates it for me ever wanting to use it.

The Q50 is more of a touch screen remote but offers far greater flexibility and will be updated in the future to expand its feature set. Outside of bug fixes, URC is done with the MX-880.

bottom line is: do you want to primarily use a touch screen for control or buttons. I'm a button guy myself but only if I can use if else statements on those buttons.

If a universal remote can't be blindly used by grandma or a drunk guy, then it can't be considered a real remote in my mind. Neither the Q50 or the MX-880 can be programmed in such a way that anyone can use it. At least not with the restrictions both of these remotes put on you.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-26-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Would you agree 880 & Q50 & TSU9200 are more or less in the same price bracket?
I ask someone in the US as we in Oz typically get bizarre prices, as though some sort of cartel is operating on one mob & not the other.

I'd prefer more/better hard buttons layout, but I could get used to Q50's mostly touch-screen & clunky feel.
If as-you-say there's more programmability & it's being more actively refined.

Agreed, what's the point if it can't be tweaked to the point where from an end-users perspective it's very simple to use!?
So you believe the Q50's not at that point either? You said its feature-set is being improved, will those improvements address this?

Would still like to hear others thoughts on the TSU9200....
Assuming I've picked out the right pronto 'price-wise' to compare!?

I'm holding-off on getting any of these sort of remotes for a good while.
But I want to have a rough idea of what I may get if other experimentations fail.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-27-2009, 07:10 AM

If choosing between the 880 and Q50 (forget the Pronto-it's not even close to the other two) it would depnd on many details of what your trying to control and what type of flexibility do you need. The Q50 will give you far more graphical flexibility, as well as cheaper power and video sensing/RS-232 than the 880 would give. On it's own, the 880 can probably be made to control more right out of the box and is definately easier to program for an installer. WHile I sell Nevo AND URC, I would have to hear about the application and budget as well as customer preferences before I could help choose a remote for you. There is a lot of parity between the Nevo Q50 and URC M-880. I make my customers fill out a detailed Q&A before reccomending remotes to them.

Vincent

Total Control Remotes
www.totalcontrolremotes.com
post #6 of 7 Old 09-27-2009, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for your thoughts...

It would purely be for CE (mostly AV) mostly in a single room initially...
But LT I definitely intend to move into full-blown HA & all the end devices that can entail.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-15-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So what's everyone's opinion nowadays for the best URC that isn't much more than $300usd?

My needs remain same as above. I have plans for my own DIY HA/C system so I don't care about zigbee, rs232 etc. built into the remote.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page