Remote control for Multiple devices and lights. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-03-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was looking for a remote to control the following devices.

Sony BDP-S301 Blueray Player
Sony STR-DG820 Reciever
Optoma HD70 Projector
2 zones of lights
1 outlet that has rope lighting plugged into it

IE: I would like to power on my devices all at once if possible and then have a light setting. When I hit play on the dvd device the 2 zones of lights dim.

I have an IPHONE currently and I am controlling my Itunes using that. If there is an Iphone app that would be awesome!

I haven't purchased any lighting devices yet because I was unsure of what was compatible with what. I am not looking to spend a ton of money because the Wife does not approve.

I was looking at the Lutron devices at home depot today, it had a dimmer and a companion dimmer that says it is wireless... I was assuming this would take care of my 2 light zone problem. However I wanted to make sure I could find a remote that worked with them prior to buying them.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-03-2009, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Harmony controller.

I assume this would work with lutron swithes?
post #3 of 14 Old 10-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

budget...?
post #4 of 14 Old 10-03-2009, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Under $200 for the lighting switch units for the 2 zones and the one rope light.
Then whatever the remote costs...

I have a $150 gift card to lowes...

I am thinking of going with their Lutron maestro IR dimmer switch. If I bought two would they allow me to program them with different id's so I could control them individually?

Thanks!

Will the Logitech Harmony 520 control lights?

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...4615660&sr=8-5

From what I have been reading the 880 is popular.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...4616053&sr=8-3
post #5 of 14 Old 10-03-2009, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, since no one replied I went with the Maestro IR switch with the remote that came with it. I really like the way the switch acts and gives you time to leave the room before the light is totally off. I also like that the switch itself has a setting and the remote has a default light setting. That way it doesnt come on at full blast when you enter the room.

I will be swapping the normal light that is currently in the room with some can lights next week.

I researched what devices were supported on the logitech site and it looks like every controller supports the same devices you just get a little more features with the higher end remotes and more devices. So I am leaning towards the Logitech Harmony 510.

Thanks.

I just pulled the trigger on a 550 Harmony. I will see if it works as intended for my setup.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
It'll work fine. I'm in the minority here, since Lutron IR switches are very popular, but I avoid IR switches like the plague simply because you have to point your remote at them. That makes it impossible to use them in activities unless the switch is right beside all your other devices.

I'm a long time X10 user myself. They're much cheaper and not directional and work fine with just about every universal remote, not just harmony. They do lack presets, which is a deal breaker for some.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

The Maestro IR switch actually is pretty impressive. I was able to turn the light on from the hallway...

So far I have been impressed with the switch itself. I cant wait until I get the remote to configure everything.

It was a 550 under $100 shipped. So I feel thats a good deal. I am hoping it can dim the lights/turn lights on when i play the movies and power on devices.

Well Target had the 620 for under $100 as well and it was local so I went ahead and snagged it.

I am loading the software on OSX 10.5.8 right now.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 06:05 PM

First thing, you have a DIMMER not a SWITCH. You can't set different "zones" with the Maestro series, you have to jump up to the Spacer to get that. Have you already hooked up the rope light? Is it LED? If it is, then it's not compatable with the dimmers. You will have to get a switch for it.

Second, I know it's too late, but if you could have done a little more research and bumped up your budget a little, you could have gone with a URC remote and the URC/Lutron dimmers. URC remotes are alot more durable than Harmony. Their dimmers operate via RF directly from the remote and can control many seperate "zones". The dimmers look exactly like the Maestro you have but without the black IR window on the front of it.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

So far I have added all my devices to the Logitech and I am very happy with it so far.

Everything powers up when i hit watch a movie. I can control the dimmer from the remote... I dont see the down side yet... Because the rope light is led means it cant be controlled? Why is this? Cant i get a Z-whatever device to control power to lamps etc for otulets and control that device with the my harmony?

So far I am very happy considering I didn't have a universal remote before.

If I can figure out how to turn on my IR dimmer to my "favorite" setting when I hit the pause button that would be awesome. Along with powering on the light originally when I hit the power button for all the devices.

Time will tell weather or not this was a bad decision. The room I have now is small and so far I like the remote. I just hope it can automatically do some other lighting functions when I tell it to do something. Much like a macro.
post #10 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 PM

You sure can control the rope light, but only with a switch, it can't be dimmed with a standard dimmer.

The Maestro dimmers only have one IR codeset in them. If you have 2 dimmers with in sight of the remote, then both will execute whatever command you push on the remote.

As for remote Switch for the rope lights, Leviton has a wall-wart style RF switch in their Vizia RF+ series of lighting control that speakes Z-Wave.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!

Any info on how to macro a button?

IE: I want to hit the pause button for my dvd player and then the "favorite" setting for my light comes on as well.

I have a pause button on the remote.

My Light Dimmer has a setting for "favorite".

Basically I want it to combine the two functions.

Same thing with play.

Play the movie and turn the lights off.

Any ideas if this is possible?

Ok, figured it out!

So you need to click on Activites and then customize. I was clicking on the individual device. Once you have done that then you can click on the lower left hand side that says add sequence. Then you just program what you want that button to do. It was very straight forward after I figured out where to go.

AmyHomeNeeds: Can you link what type of switch will work with my Harmony so I can use the rope light as a switch. I dont need dim functions as I am only going to turn it on prior to the movie starting and then turn off after a couple minutes. The only other time it will be on is if I hit pause, it will turn it on. When I hit play it will turn it back off.

I am loving this automation stuff!
post #12 of 14 Old 10-04-2009, 09:40 PM

I don't do Harmony's, so I'm not sure of it's capabilities, but here's the Leviton I was talking about: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...&section=25542
post #13 of 14 Old 10-05-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyHomeNeeds View Post

I don't do Harmony's, so I'm not sure of it's capabilities, but here's the Leviton I was talking about: http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...&section=25542

So you plug the dimmer into this then the rope light into that? Or did I completely miss something? EDIT - nevermind realized it was changed from dimmer to on/off

Dumb question -- load rating 15amp - that isn't the draw is it? It is just the max that it could hold
post #14 of 14 Old 10-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab View Post

So you plug the dimmer into this then the rope light into that? Or did I completely miss something? EDIT - nevermind realized it was changed from dimmer to on/off

Dumb question -- load rating 15amp - that isn't the draw is it? It is just the max that it could hold

You catch on pretty fast.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page