Harmony 890 repair?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 10-06-2009, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
So... has anybody here had any experience with Logitech in having their H890 remote serviced out of warranty? Just wondering if I should call them to setup repair or if I should just buy a new remote.

BTW... all that is wrong with the remote (besides the unit not sitting the charger correctly) is that I have to press the "vol +" button really hard for it to raise the volume.

Also, besides Logitech is there anywhere else that I can send the remote in for repair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-06-2009, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 938
You might try doing the repair yourself. I repaired a bad zero key on a out of warranty 880. I used the kit HERE and found info on the web detailing taking the remote apart to do the repair. I've had a couple of other Harmony remotes have keys go bad under warranty and Logitech replaced the remotes. This seems to be a real issue with Harmony remotes (much more so than with many expensive remotes such as those for URC).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 13 Old 10-06-2009, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

You might try doing the repair yourself. I repaired a bad zero key on a out of warranty 880. I used the kit HERE and found info on the web detailing taking the remote apart to do the repair. I've had a couple of other Harmony remotes have keys go bad under warranty and Logitech replaced the remotes. This seems to be a real issue with Harmony remote (much more so than with many expensive remotes such as those for URC).

Thanks for the response Ron!!! This is something that I'm going to try first. I really don't want to go through the expense yet of purchasing a new remote as the one that I'm looking at as a replacement is pricey, the Nevo s70.

Other reason why is due to the 6 zones of lighting that I have in the theater controlled via z-wave dimmers which the H890 controls perfectly.

post #4 of 13 Old 10-06-2009, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a different problem with my harmony 890 out of warranty. However, they were able to give me 50% off the purchase of a new one which did decrease the cost significantly. It is just a matter of being very persistent....
post #5 of 13 Old 10-07-2009, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 647
I had mine replaced out of warranty because I paid with a credit card which gave me an extra year of coverage. I think I was about 18 months in and got full credit back from Visa. Link

post #6 of 13 Old 10-07-2009, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsnkid View Post

I had a different problem with my harmony 890 out of warranty. However, they were able to give me 50% off the purchase of a new one which did decrease the cost significantly. It is just a matter of being very persistent....

If the kit that Ron mentioned does not work, I'm not going back with Logitech. My next step would be the Nevo s70.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 920 Post(s)
Liked: 938
Here is another possible solution for a 880/890 series Harmony remote that has one or a few non-working keys. These remotes have a silicone sheet under the keys that have protursions on the underside that press on the metal clicker that is attached to the circuit board. Over time it appears the often used keys can result in the protrusions on the silicone pad becoming compressed and no longer extending far enough to actually click the clicker closed. You may be able to fix this situation. To open remove the battery cover and battery then remove the 2 screws on the rear (one is under the battery cover). Next you must pry apart the front and rear shells of the remote. Using something flat and thin will help. You can then take a little silicone caulking (like used around doors and windows) and carefully apply a just a little (e.g., using a toothpick) to extend the protrusions on the silicone pad a little for those keys that are having problems.

I've had 4 different models of Harmony remotes including two different 880s. Of the five total that I've owned 3 have developed bad keys within the first 2 years. It really appears they have a design issue with their remotes.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #8 of 13 Old 08-28-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Here is another possible solution for a 880/890 series Harmony remote that has one or a few non-working keys. These remotes have a silicone sheet under the keys that have protursions on the underside that press on the metal clicker that is attached to the circuit board. Over time it appears the often used keys can result in the protrusions on the silicone pad becoming compressed and no longer extending far enough to actually click the clicker closed. You may be able to fix this situation. To open remove the battery cover and battery then remove the 2 screws on the rear (one is under the battery cover). Next you must pry apart the front and rear shells of the remote. Using something flat and thin will help. You can then take a little silicone caulking (like used around doors and windows) and carefully apply a just a little (e.g., using a toothpick) to extend the protrusions on the silicone pad a little for those keys that are having problems.

I've had 4 different models of Harmony remotes including two different 880s. Of the five total that I've owned 3 have developed bad keys within the first 2 years. It really appears they have a design issue with their remotes.

This does seem to help a bit.. How has it been holding up with the silicone repair?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #9 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonn B View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

This does seem to help a bit.. How has it been holding up with the silicone repair?

Perfect find, my 6+ year old 890 has the Volume + button not working, so I'll take it apart and report back if this works, hopefully as this is my family room control device.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-01-2014, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Update - Upon taking my 890 apart, 2 screws on outside back cover, then 2 screws on main logic board, instead of trying to "build up" the little silicone pushers that push onto the circuit board small contact buttons, I did something similar but much quicker and easier.

I decided to raise the circuit board so the button would have less travel to do, same effect.

So, I simply made a small washer from cardboard, a 12 can bottle cardboard.

I cut a small 1/4" by 1/4" square piece, used a dart to poke a hole in the center, then while the square piece was on the dart tip I simply trimmed it to a small round washer.
Non metallic, no danger of shorting anything.

For re-assembly, when I put the screw thru the main logic board, then I just pushed the small DIY cardboard washer onto it, the friction of the screw threads held the washer, and it so slightly propped up the circuit board upon final assy.

Did re-assembly, put battery in, re-boot....... and ta-da saved $100 at least from buying a replacement!

You can see work in progress here:
890-fix.JPG

So, I give credit to this thread for inspiring my simple DIY fix, hope it help others.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I am little confused on how to do what you did. I've had mine apart 5 times, as button keep wearing out. Some I have to press so hard, that friends can't use the remote, only me, as I know how hard to push. WHere does this cardboard go? This remote is driving me nuts.

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #12 of 13 Old 03-10-2015, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had problems with a couple of the buttons on my 890 for years, especially the volume up button. I did try to build up a little bump on the metal button, but that only helped a little. Today, after reading about how the button can have some corrosion on it, I took the remote apart, separated the film that holds the metal disc slightly and then used 99% rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip on the underside. The button is working better than it ever did with building the disc up. I will see how long it lasts, If it keeps working, I will pull it apart again and clean the other buttons that are giving me some problems.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-10-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1669 Post(s)
Liked: 1043
If you get too frustrated and want it repaired quickly and at a fair price you might want to check out harmonyremoterepair.com. I used them for my old 880 and it came back good as new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony 890 Remote Control Refurbished , Logitech Harmony 890 Advanced Universal Remote Control

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page