Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 1323 Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, my first post here.

I'm building my first HTPC and bought my first programmable remote for TV + WMC + a receiver later. I have a couple of questions:

1. I got the 650 used for $40 but it didn't come with USB cable. I thought I had one as various sites has said it uses the mini USB which I have ton of but instead it looks like it needs the micro? Logitech.com has it for about $9 shipped but I was hoping to find one at a B&M store for just $10-15. Stopped by a Radio Shack and the only one they had was $25 for a 6 footer, double "ugh". Stopped by a Walmart and only found a kit that contained a whole lot of adapters that I don't need for $15 and not sure if the one in there will work. Any ideas where I could get one? Is online the only option? If so where's the best place?

2. I'm also wanting to control Win7 WMC. How do I go about doing this? What do I need? Again, where's the best place to get whatever I need?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1323 Old 03-05-2011, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Try monoprice.com

Regards,

J Thomas
post #273 of 1323 Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krusher33 View Post
Hello all, my first post here.

I'm building my first HTPC and bought my first programmable remote for TV + WMC + a receiver later. I have a couple of questions:

1. I got the 650 used for $40 but it didn't come with USB cable. I thought I had one as various sites has said it uses the mini USB which I have ton of but instead it looks like it needs the micro? Logitech.com has it for about $9 shipped but I was hoping to find one at a B&M store for just $10-15. Stopped by a Radio Shack and the only one they had was $25 for a 6 footer, double "ugh". Stopped by a Walmart and only found a kit that contained a whole lot of adapters that I don't need for $15 and not sure if the one in there will work. Any ideas where I could get one? Is online the only option? If so where's the best place?

2. I'm also wanting to control Win7 WMC. How do I go about doing this? What do I need? Again, where's the best place to get whatever I need?
You need the male A to micro USB cable. For HTPC Win 7 WMC, any RC6 receiver will work. And set it up with Harmony devices MCE Keyboard, and MCE SE Keyboard (2 devices will give you everything you'll need for WMC).

Here you go:

monoprice cable
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

(buy a longer USB cable if the HTPC is the only PC you use to program the Harmony, other wise, 1.5ft is fine)

Rc6 receiver:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Microsoft-Media-...item230ba3325a

Harmony Guide to setup RC6 receiver
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php...Harmony+remote

(this tutorial is for setting the RC6 receiver with Harmony to use XBMC, but most is really also applicable to WMC)
post #274 of 1323 Old 03-05-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthomas View Post
Try monoprice.com

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post
You need the male A to micro USB cable. For HTPC Win 7 WMC, any RC6 receiver will work. And set it up with Harmony devices MCE Keyboard, and MCE SE Keyboard (2 devices will give you everything you'll need for WMC).

Here you go:

monoprice cable
URL

(buy a longer USB cable if the HTPC is the only PC you use to program the Harmony, other wise, 1.5ft is fine)

Rc6 receiver: URL

Harmony Guide to setup RC6 receiver
URL

(this tutorial is for setting the RC6 receiver with Harmony to use XBMC, but most is really also applicable to WMC)
I had just looked at monoprice and saw that same one. It didn't occur to me to look there.

And thanks bunches for the links and help. So the RC6 receiver is the only thing I need? I'm about to wiki about IR Blasters but why would many people suggest needing one of those as well?

Edit: Can't wait to use the remote! It's killing me to have it and not be able to use it.
post #275 of 1323 Old 03-05-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:

I had just looked at monoprice and saw that same one. It didn't occur to me to look there.

And thanks bunches for the links and help. So the RC6 receiver is the only thing I need? I'm about to wiki about IR Blasters but why would many people suggest needing one of those as well?

Edit: Can't wait to use the remote! It's killing me to have it and not be able to use it.

That's right! the RC6 receiver is the only thing you need to control the Win 7 HTPC with the Harmony. Some RC6 receiver also comes with a port in the back and an emitter cable, but there is no need for that if you're not using the RC6 receiver to control the HTPC and also control other devices such as a cable box that needs a blaster. I use my Harmony remote to control HTPC, DVD recorder, AV receiver, and TV. No blaster needed unless you put everything inside an enclosed cabinet.
post #276 of 1323 Old 03-05-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi78 View Post

That's right! the RC6 receiver is the only thing you need to control the Win 7 HTPC with the Harmony. Some RC6 receiver also comes with a port in the back and an emitter cable, but there is no need for that if you're not using the RC6 receiver to control the HTPC and also control other devices such as a cable box that needs a blaster. I use my Harmony remote to control HTPC, DVD recorder, AV receiver, and TV. No blaster needed unless you put everything inside an enclosed cabinet.

Alrighty, got it, thanks!

I read up on the IR Blaster and it doesn't seem like something I need for now.

I shall be in Harmony with my home theater in less than a week. (cheezy, I know)
post #277 of 1323 Old 03-06-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:

Alrighty, got it, thanks!

I read up on the IR Blaster and it doesn't seem like something I need for now.

I shall be in Harmony with my home theater in less than a week. (cheezy, I know)

let us know how it works out for you.
post #278 of 1323 Old 03-06-2011, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by macandal View Post

Okay, I must confess that I have not read this thread. At 5+ pages and over 200 posts, it's overwhelming and time-consuming to find the information (if it's here) that I need.

Basically, my remote has gone out of whack. I don't know what happened to it. I bought at the end of January 2011 and a couple of weeks ago, it just started acting crazy and not working. I try the "Help" feature, and this sometimes works but most of the time it doesn't. When it works, well, it works. When it doesn't, it keeps me asking "Did that solve the problem", I answer no, then proceeds to try to turn off all the components (I only have two, TV and DirecTV box), but this doesn't always work. Anyway, long story short, I just grabbed my old DirecTV-issued remote and use this one.

Has anyone else had this problem with this remote? Do I have a defective remote and it's time to either get my money back or get a new one? Any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

No sympathy here - did you ever here of SEARCH? Good grief.
post #279 of 1323 Old 03-06-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macandal View Post

Okay, I must confess that I have not read this thread. At 5+ pages and over 200 posts, it's overwhelming and time-consuming to find the information (if it's here) that I need.

Basically, my remote has gone out of whack. I don't know what happened to it. I bought at the end of January 2011 and a couple of weeks ago, it just started acting crazy and not working. I try the "Help" feature, and this sometimes works but most of the time it doesn't. When it works, well, it works. When it doesn't, it keeps me asking "Did that solve the problem", I answer no, then proceeds to try to turn off all the components (I only have two, TV and DirecTV box), but this doesn't always work. Anyway, long story short, I just grabbed my old DirecTV-issued remote and use this one.

Has anyone else had this problem with this remote? Do I have a defective remote and it's time to either get my money back or get a new one? Any help from you guys will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Your problem isn't very well outlined...

What exactly is the issue? Is it just turning off all of the components? Is it not controlling your DirecTV? Is the remote control itself turning off?
post #280 of 1323 Old 03-06-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked: 421
macandal's issue was already solved by changing batteries.
post #281 of 1323 Old 03-06-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

macandal's issue was already solved by changing batteries.

So, what was the issue? Just for resolution's sake.
post #282 of 1323 Old 03-07-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Low batteries caused weak IR output resulting in inconsistent control. Every IR remote behaves similarly under low battery conditions.
post #283 of 1323 Old 03-08-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:

Low batteries caused weak IR output resulting in inconsistent control. Every IR remote behaves similarly under low battery conditions.

I read that the 650 can eat a set of batteries in a month. My new 650 is 7 weeks old and still working fine on its original batteries. I expect it to flake out any minute now.
post #284 of 1323 Old 03-08-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjex500 View Post

I read that the 650 can eat a set of batteries in a month. My new 650 is 7 weeks old and still working fine on its original batteries. I expect it to flake out any minute now.

Note to self: buy 50 pack of batteries while at store.
post #285 of 1323 Old 03-08-2011, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjex500 View Post

Yeah. I've had mine as long as well and using it for the dvr/cable box. Two AAs every two months or so is not bad.
post #286 of 1323 Old 03-09-2011, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Note to self: buy 50 pack of batteries while at store.

Note to self: buy 2 sets of rechargeable batteries instead.
post #287 of 1323 Old 03-23-2011, 06:19 AM

greetings.
I'm researching an all-in-one remote for 4 devices and it looks like the 650 will do what I need.
A few questions.
1) I noticed a post or two that talked about macros. With this in mind, Is there an all-on/off button and can the devices be setup with priority?
(To be more sepcific, I want the TV to always power up 1st then the (Comcast motorola HD cablebox and then the Sony BVD-E570).
Power down priority isn't a necessity.

2) Is the remote intuitive to where it can be programmed so that anytime the volume is adjusted it will automatically go to a specfic device and when either dialing in channels or hitting the ch up/down will it go to another specific device without having to manually select the device?

3) The Comcast cablebox remote has a neat channel guide feature button, does the 650 have a button that can also function as a channel guide to see channel info?

Thanks, basically I have a universal remote that can control all the devices but I have to manually select them and I'd like to have a remote that deos the thinking for me (really for my Mrs )
Thanks
Dave
post #288 of 1323 Old 03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfandt View Post

greetings.
I'm researching an all-in-one remote for 4 devices and it looks like the 650 will do what I need.
A few questions.

Yes to all. It should do what you want.
post #289 of 1323 Old 03-23-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

First, you may not realize you can buy or build a JP1 cable for your cable remote and program it from your PC like harmony and do everything you're asking about and much more. The harmony has the added benefit of showing the function names on the LCD and wizards for the programming. I normally wouldn't mention JP1 in a harmony thread, but since you already have a JP1 remote that will do everything you're asking, I thought it was appropriate.

1. Harmony has an all off button only. Your system on's are controlled by individual activities. For example, "Watch TV" will turn on your tv and cable box, set your tv to the proper input and map the volume keys to your tv and the channel and transport keys to your cable box. You can control the delays between commands, but not the order. If you need to change the order, logitech support can do it for you. Your comcast can do this too, with a little programming, and you have complete control over the order.

2. This is volume punch thru. Most universal remotes including the comcast and the harmony have it. You can map any function from any device to any button (you can do this on your comcast too). On harmony this is done on a per activity basis. The setup wizard asks what device changes volume and what device changes channels and sets it up for you automatically.

3. If you access the guide by pressing a button on your comcast remote, then the harmony can do it too. Worst case, you'd just learn the guide function from your comcast remote.

If you have any interest in JP1, post your remote model (from inside the battery door) and check out the JP1 Wiki in my sig. Below is a screen-shot of the JP1 software. You simply drag and drop any function to any button. Elsewhere in the software, you program macros (activities), key moves, key copies, volume and channel mapping, etc. With the JP1 extender software, you can program activities so that you press and hold the TV button to watch tv or press and hold the DVD button to watch a DVD and press and hold Power to turn everything off. It can be made to operate very simply. Another benefit is the remotes are very cheap (free in your case) and aren't tied to any website in order to operate. You have complete control over the programming, and tech support is free forever.
post #290 of 1323 Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 AM

BPlayer, thanks.

mdavej, your reply is highly interesting. My Comcast universal remote does have the red OK button and resembles the pic in your post.
The device that I'm trying to control w/the aux key is a Sony BDV-E570 HTIB. I went to Comcasts site and tried all their codes for this Sony model and couldn't get amatch. Tried the learning app and it too failed.
What I ran into was when I tried to program the aix key as a DVD/DVDR it disabled the volume buttons (plus wouldn't match the Sony anyways) and when I tried the AVR coes they wouldn;t match either. On my MITS TV universal the codes are in the 4XXX realm and it appears that JP1 won't except those codes on the aux button.
I would prefer to keep and use the JP1 if just for beign used to it.
If tis isn't the correct forum to discuss this let me know but any/all info on the JP1 is highly requested I'll be checking out your wiki also.
Thanks again
Dave
post #291 of 1323 Old 03-23-2011, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

With a cable you could load easily load all those codes. It may also be possible without a cable. We can also work around the volume issues with key moves. I'll have to do some research to get you all the codes. Post a code search at the JP1 site for all your devices using the template in the stickies. However the site is down today for maintenence, so you should try tomorrow. In the mean time I'll see what I can find and PM you. Or you could start a new thread here if the JP1 site isn't back up by tomorrow.
post #292 of 1323 Old 03-23-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:

With a cable you could load easily load all those codes. It may also be possible without a cable. We can also work around the volume issues with key moves. I'll have to do some research to get you all the codes. Post a code search at the JP1 site for all your devices using the template in the stickies. However the site is down today for maintenence, so you should try tomorrow. In the mean time I'll see what I can find and PM you. Or you could start a new thread here if the JP1 site isn't back up by tomorrow.

I went to the linked JP1 code site and via ref and cross-ref it appears the associated code is one that I've already tried to no avail. The code is 31758. (3 for access Method type and 1758 for the code).
The other codes listed (1258,1558,1658 & 1033 have an N/A in the Access Method column). Since they have an N/A for 1st digit I'm going to assume that means it's not in the remotes library.
I'm almost positive that my remote is the 30393039 Comcast 1067BX3 jp1.3 as it's the only one that requires 5 digits.
from the Comcast site it lists the codes for a Sony Audio rec as, 31759, 30158 & 31758.
I do believe we're on to something here tho so I'm going to hold off on the Harmony 650 at this time.
Thanks again
Dave
post #293 of 1323 Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfandt View Post

I went to the linked JP1 code site and via ref and cross-ref it appears the associated code is one that I've already tried to no avail. The code is 31758. (3 for access Method type and 1758 for the code).
The other codes listed (1258,1558,1658 & 1033 have an N/A in the Access Method column). Since they have an N/A for 1st digit I'm going to assume that means it's not in the remotes library.
I'm almost positive that my remote is the 30393039 Comcast 1067BX3 jp1.3 as it's the only one that requires 5 digits.
from the Comcast site it lists the codes for a Sony Audio rec as, 31759, 30158 & 31758.
I do believe we're on to something here tho so I'm going to hold off on the Harmony 650 at this time.
Thanks again
Dave

Check your PMs. 31758 should work with some additional programming detailed in my message.
post #294 of 1323 Old 03-26-2011, 01:53 PM

After all that great info from mDavej I was able to setup my JP1 Comcast remote for the Mrs' use.
But for me, I needed more control for my 3 devices and since the seed was already planted I picked up a new 650 on the way home from work last night and have been playing with it ever since. It does consolidate all 3 remotes nearly completely and I've been able to work through all but a few issues. Both have to do w/the activities settings.
When I'm in watching TV and switch to watch DVD, it brings up the TV input select menu, moves to the correct input and all the buttons map properly, it actually works very well. The issue arrises when I select watch TV to go back. It will pull up the TV's input screen but then proceeds to the incorrect input. And it's not consistant on which, one time out of 6 it actually landed on the correct input
The above issue I can live with if theres no fix as I simply go to devices,TV and manually select the Cablebox input.

Issue #2 is alittle more aggravating.
When I'm in device-TV, so I can select the correct input or use the TV's internet apps', the buttons seem to have extended transmit times which causes the curser to go past the entended icon and/or make the incorrect selection. I can actually see a huge difference in duration when I depress the same key when I'm in TV in comparison to when I'm in the AVR. I've played w/the only timers I could find, both in the software and in the extended menu on the remote by holding down the help button to no avail. I'll probably open up a ticket w/Logitech.
Other than those two issue, I really like this remote.
Dave
post #295 of 1323 Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 AM

Update; both problems were corrected by using discrete commands. Works great now.
post #296 of 1323 Old 04-04-2011, 09:06 AM

I am trying to use my logitech 650 with a Yamaha DVD player (DVD-S661). I have set it up and it works properly for about a day each time I do. Once I use the remote the day after it is setup the Logitech will not power on my DVD-S661. I have tried learning the command, chaning the delay and still have the issue. I have been in contact with Logitech but each time it stops functioning after about a day. Any ideas? My receiver, television and cable box work with the remote without issue.

Mark
post #297 of 1323 Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

My first guesses would be low batteries or IR interference from your tv. If you put the power command on a button and press that button, does it work? Will the yamaha remote work from the same distance/angle when the 650 doesn't?
post #298 of 1323 Old 04-13-2011, 10:14 PM

I had all my devices set up and everything worked great for about 6 weeks and then it crashed. It is as though it is programmed backwards. When it is on nothing will respond and the assistant keeps asking me if this or that is on. We go through the wonderful ritual of "yes" and "no" to have it do no good. I have
1. Removed all devices and reinstalled them
2. Removed the batteries and reset the device to safe mode by holding down the AllOff key while installing the batteries. Done that twice.
3. Replaced the batteries.

And it is still not working. Once I get all the devices on then immediately the volume, channel or mute buttons (plus others) will not work.
It's like it is whacked out and can't figure what it is suppose to do.
I am thinking of going to another brand if I can't get an answer quickly. I have been working on this for a week to no avail.
post #299 of 1323 Old 04-13-2011, 10:19 PM

Don't WASTE your money, mine only worked for 6 weeks max and now it is going to have to be replaced.
post #300 of 1323 Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 AM

My 650 got knocked off and bounced on a hardwood floor last night which surprisingly enabled the assistant. After I turned it off everything seemed to function properly. I've not got 6 weeks in it yet but will keep an eye on it.
Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page