Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 1261 Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Thanks to all for the kind words. I still program harmonys regularly for other family members, so I'll remain active in these threads for the near future. I keep hoping harmony management will change and get the product line and software back on track. A few simple software and hardware changes would make harmony unbeatable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1261 Old 07-22-2011, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Thanks to all for the kind words. I still program harmonys regularly for other family members, so I'll remain active in these threads for the near future. I keep hoping harmony management will change and get the product line and software back on track. A few simple software and hardware changes would make harmony unbeatable.

Glad to know :-) I've learned so much reading your posts. And I agree about Harmony remotes, it seems to get worse and worse in each new model release. The reason that I'm using Harmony remotes is Power State tracking because I have 3 devices that don't have discrete codes. That and the LCD screen (with this I don't have to use a cheat sheet to find the buttons that were reprogrammed to do things that are not obvious).
post #363 of 1261 Old 07-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Liked: 10
Can anyone tell me the effective IR range of the Harmony 600? I am looking all over the place and cant find it. I would like to use the remote at a distance of 20 feet, but I don't want to purchase extenders or anything like that. Also not interested in RF capability if I can avoid it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
post #364 of 1261 Old 07-25-2011, 06:19 AM

No one who owns one of these knows the range?
post #365 of 1261 Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Never tried it at 20 feet. Couldn't try it if I wanted to. I can tell you it has at least two IR LEDs at diverging angles that are quite bright. If you already have another IR remote that works at 20 feet, this one certainly will too.
post #366 of 1261 Old 07-25-2011, 01:15 PM

Thanks, but I don't have a remote that works at that distance...thus my question
post #367 of 1261 Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunt View Post

Can anyone tell me the effective IR range of the Harmony 600? I am looking all over the place and cant find it. I would like to use the remote at a distance of 20 feet, but I don't want to purchase extenders or anything like that. Also not interested in RF capability if I can avoid it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I don't have the 600 but do have the Harmony 650 and I just tested it @ approx 28' (line of site) and it had no problems controlling a MITS 65738 TV, Motorla cable box and a Sony BDV-570 HTIB.

.re mdavej, gotta give him kudo's. He helped me customize a couple JP1 cable TV remotes w/codes not available from comcast. They work great ;D

Dave
post #368 of 1261 Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 AM

It does seem that Harmony has decided to target a different audience.

I recently bought a 650 for my parents to simplify operating their TV/BR/etc. The remote itself works fine, but myharmony is a disaster made worse by tech support that wants you to reload half your operating system when you have something simple like a synch failure. The perfect storm of a dumbed down dysfunctional app and tech support to match.

Over the years I've bought three Harmony remotes. Two "Ones" and now the 650. After this experience I doubt that my next remote will be a Harmony.

Frank
post #369 of 1261 Old 07-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfandt View Post

I don't have the 600 but do have the Harmony 650 and I just tested it @ approx 28' (line of site) and it had no problems controlling a MITS 65738 TV, Motorla cable box and a Sony BDV-570 HTIB.

.re mdavej, gotta give him kudo's. He helped me customize a couple JP1 cable TV remotes w/codes not available from comcast. They work great ;D

Dave

Thanks...this was exactly what I was looking for!
post #370 of 1261 Old 07-26-2011, 02:35 PM

Quick question on the Harmony remotes. Right now there are decent deals on the 650 and 700 online. I'm looking to get something for my elderly, non technical folks that will be easy to operate and perform reliably for them. I get in to see them a few times a year and will be there in a few weeks and want to take a remote with me to set them up. Their "system" is very simple:
Sony TV (about 5 years old).
Philips (I think) DVD player, less than a year old.
Bose surround system (simulated actually, I only remember 3 speakers). Self contained.
Cable box (Atlantic Broadband)

That's it and the only two things they will ever do is watch tv or watch a DVD. But if there is a change to mash a button and foul things up they will find it.

So, would either the 650 or 700 be a good choice for them? I know, maybe a bit of overkill but I like the screens on both and the fact that they have buttons that say "watch tv" and "watch a DVD"

If not one of these, any other recommendations greatly appreciated. Setting any of them up will be no problem for me, I'm more concerned with ease of use and stability.

Thanks!
post #371 of 1261 Old 07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

My elderly folks have no trouble their harmony. The font on the LCD is big enough to read easily. They still ask how to watch a DVD now and then, but all I have to tell them is "press Watch DVD". They can also press the Help button if things get messed up. Plus I can make config changes from anywhere in the world and just tell them to plug it in and click update.
post #372 of 1261 Old 07-26-2011, 05:37 PM
rdn
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggoss View Post

Quick question on the Harmony remotes. Right now there are decent deals on the 650 and 700 online. I'm looking to get something for my elderly, non technical folks that will be easy to operate and perform reliably for them. I get in to see them a few times a year and will be there in a few weeks and want to take a remote with me to set them up. Their "system" is very simple:
Sony TV (about 5 years old).
Philips (I think) DVD player, less than a year old.
Bose surround system (simulated actually, I only remember 3 speakers). Self contained.
Cable box (Atlantic Broadband)

That's it and the only two things they will ever do is watch tv or watch a DVD. But if there is a change to mash a button and foul things up they will find it.

So, would either the 650 or 700 be a good choice for them? I know, maybe a bit of overkill but I like the screens on both and the fact that they have buttons that say "watch tv" and "watch a DVD"

If not one of these, any other recommendations greatly appreciated. Setting any of them up will be no problem for me, I'm more concerned with ease of use and stability.

Thanks!

I don't have one, but recall that Bose systems use RF remotes.

Bob
post #373 of 1261 Old 08-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Hi All,

I just got 2 of these (1 for lounge 1 for bedroom) and they are fantastic.

I just have 1 challenge left and that is the 'All Off' button.

I have a Sanyo Z5 projector that needs two 'power toggle' signals to turn it off. Unfortunately the Harmony only sends a single power command for each device.

Having looked through the software I can't see any way to send the power signal twice for the projector when powering off.

Open to any suggestions on how this might work (that don't involve soldering )
post #374 of 1261 Old 08-07-2011, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_au View Post

Hi All,

I have a Sanyo Z5 projector that needs two 'power toggle' signals to turn it off. Unfortunately the Harmony only sends a single power command for each device.

Having looked through the software I can't see any way to send the power signal twice for the projector when powering off.

I don't have a Logitech Harmony 650 but I have a Logitech Harmony One that allows me to add a sequence. So I am assuming the Logitech Harmony 650 should have this function too.

It is found under "Customize Buttons" of the "Activities", then select "Add Sequence"

Here is a screenshot of a sequence I use to toggle back and forth between two HDMI inputs on my TV, when it sometimes does not do the handshaking properly with my devices.

post #375 of 1261 Old 08-07-2011, 05:38 AM

I have an older 550 that I haven't used in a while but it seems I remember having to do this same thing with one of my devices. So I believe it is possible.
post #376 of 1261 Old 08-07-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Hi All,

Either calling Harmony support and ask them to add the double power toggle to power OFF that device, or you can program it yourself.

I never had to do this, but I think this will work: use the projector remote, teach the power toggle to a button on that Harmony device for the projector. And then change the Harmony projector device power settings to specify that this device should be turned OFF with multiple commands (1st one is power toggle, 2nd one is that button).

If there must be a longer delay in between 2 power toggles, and the above approach did not work, then instead of changing the device power settings, you can try to add that new button to the activity exiting steps (you can add commands to starting and ending activity). This would have slight delay between the 1st projector power toggle and the 2nd power toggle at the end (which is that programmed button).
post #377 of 1261 Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 AM

Hi Everyone, Thanks for all the suggestions.

sschen: my software doesn't have that, would be nice to have that feature just for general macro programming.

bodhi78: I tried the learn 2 power commands as one trick, but after finally getting it to save it didn't work when I tested it.

I sent Logitech support an email, so hoping they can do something.
post #378 of 1261 Old 08-08-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:

bodhi78: I tried the learn 2 power commands as one trick, but after finally getting it to save it didn't work when I tested it.

I sent Logitech support an email, so hoping they can do something.

In that case, the delay between 2 power toggles is significant. Logitech usually will help users do this if yours still under warranty. In case you did not get it, the first thing to find out is how long the delay must be, I'd expect it to be perhaps 10 to 15 seconds (I recalled other projectors need that long to shut down).
post #379 of 1261 Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM

I am having a problem with some of my activities. I have one activity that basically just switches the input on my TV. The problem I am having is that once the activity is finished I can't control my TV. I have to choose the device in order to get control of it again. I am using the Harmony 7.7 software instead of myharmony.com because I have more control and can do sequences.
post #380 of 1261 Old 08-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
first off, make sure you're not using the wizard setup thru their software. set up each activity manually.
if you've already done that, then go to the activity in question and select 'customize buttons'. from there you can add the commands to the buttons used for your tv activity.
hope that helps!
,r

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterob121 View Post

I am having a problem with some of my activities. I have one activity that basically just switches the input on my TV. The problem I am having is that once the activity is finished I can't control my TV. I have to choose the device in order to get control of it again. I am using the Harmony 7.7 software instead of myharmony.com because I have more control and can do sequences.

follow icon updates, av & remote info on facebook and twitter.
http://www.iconharmony.com
post #381 of 1261 Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM

In case anyone is interested, bestbuy.com has the Logitech 650 on sale for $42 today.
post #382 of 1261 Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

The favorites icon site is back up and running after a brief downtime caused by power outages at host's Texas facility. Apologies for any inconvenience.
Enjoy your icons and remotes!
,R

post #383 of 1261 Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes View Post

first off, make sure you're not using the wizard setup thru their software. set up each activity manually.
if you've already done that, then go to the activity in question and select 'customize buttons'. from there you can add the commands to the buttons used for your tv activity.
hope that helps!
,r

Thanks, the 'customize buttons' worked out fine. I didn't ever look at that page before but I was able to do what I wanted.
post #384 of 1261 Old 08-12-2011, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterob121 View Post

Thanks, the 'customize buttons' worked out fine. I didn't ever look at that page before but I was able to do what I wanted.

excellent! glad it worked out.
,r

post #385 of 1261 Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
guys which would be the best "Re-Chargeble"' batteries to use with the 600/650 ?

i'm looking for long battery life.

thanks

Thanks,

Rana

a few funny stories from my life ------->http://www.kirtirana.blogspot.com
post #386 of 1261 Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rana_kirti View Post

guys which would be the best "Re-Chargeble"' batteries to use with the 600/650 ?

i'm looking for long battery life.

thanks

I don't know about rechargeable batteries but I have used lithium batteries in my digital camera and they lasted much longer than the standard alkaline versions.
post #387 of 1261 Old 08-14-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

600 is $49.99 at Target ATM. That's a good deal.
post #388 of 1261 Old 08-14-2011, 06:19 PM

well after messing around with it for the last couple of hours I must say I feel stupid and am not afraid to admit it. lol.
Basically after reading advice on here I downloaded the software so that I had more behind the scenes ability to fix things. This is where my trouble starts.
I have a mits wd65734, phillips dvd recorder dvdr3576h and a sony blu ray bdp5360.
i tried setting up the watch tv activity and it refuses to set it up in any manner but with the recorder an tv both turned on and the recorder controlling the channels. i thought ok i will just remove the recorder and it tells me i have no devices capable of changing channels.
i am sure i am just doing something dumb but am clueless.
it never could turn the tv on and off either. i had to end up going through a convoluted process and finally got to a screen where it learned to do it off my old tv remote.
in frustration i removed the software and went did a setup through the website, where i did have the options of the tv controlling the channels and not having to always turn on the recorder since on just watching tv i dont want the recorder on at all. then the same problem came up where it set that all up but it will not even turn the tv on or off.
i am to the point of just returning it unless someone can help me and point out what silly thing i am doing wrong. i would prefer to use the software to set everything up.
thanks in advance!
post #389 of 1261 Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Not your fault. This is a bug you can work around by setting up your activity "manually" in the software (I don't think myharmony gives you the option).
post #390 of 1261 Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 AM

Don't give up yet. I just got a 650 and I'm in the process of setting mine up. I will look at what you are trying to do tonight if I remember.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page