AVS Forum banner

Official Logitech Harmony 650/600 remote thread

456K views 2K replies 482 participants last post by  influx3k 
#1 ·
Announcements:

Logitech's Blogpost announcing the 650 & 600: http://blog.logitech.com/2010/03/02/...remotes-debut/

Logitech's official press release: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/172/6739&cl=us,en

Logitech's webpages:

Logitech's 650 webpage: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re.../6621&cl=us,en

Logitech's webpage comparing the 650 to the 700 (apparently with some inaccuracies): http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re...&A11=11&A12=12

Logitech's 600 webpage (Britain): http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/remote...s/devices/6620

(The 600 will apparently be offered at CompUSA and Target starting in early May, 2010.)

Product Info:

Amazon's 650 webpage (lots of product information): http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...9291851&sr=8-1

Reviews:

Engadget's 650 review: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/l...remote-review/

User Manuals:

User manual for the 650, version 1.0: http://images.harmonyremote.com/Easy...UserManual.pdf

See less See more
#328 ·
If they exist somewhere in the database, they will add them to your 650 profile. But I have no way of knowing if they're in the database. You could just ask them to add the commands to your 300. If that works, then they can also be added to your new remote. All harmony's share the same database.

#329 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/20492389

If they exist somewhere in the database, they will add them to your 650 profile. But I have no way of knowing if they're in the database. You could just ask them to add the commands to your 300. If that works, then they can also be added to your new remote. All harmony's share the same database.

Unfortunately, I already returned my 300.

#330 ·
As many here have said, the myharmony.com setup method is very easy but it seems to be lacking in some of the more detailed setup options (though renaming an activity doesn't seem like it should be an advanced option).

So after reading comments here, I switched to using the desktop version.

One thing confused me while setting up my Panasonic DMP-BD65 blu-ray player. When I was using the myharmony.com method to set up the remote, it asked me to use the original remote to verify the settings. It went into a learning mode and asked me to press the power button on the original remote. The "Logitech Harmony Remote Software" (ver 7.7.0) asked for about 8 different button pushes.

One of the buttons it asked me to press was the "Menu" button on the blu-ray player's remote. There are 3 different menu buttons on the Panasonic blu-ray remote; "Top Menu", "Pop-Up Menu", and "Function Menu". Which menu button do they mean?

#332 ·
Just tell the software you don't have the original remote so you can skip the confirm step. Unless you have the panny set to some address other than 1, which I doubt, there's no need to confirm.

I've used my harmony with at least 5 panasonic players including the 65 and never had to do a confirm. As long as you're set to remote code 1, all codes for all panasonics are the same.

#333 ·
thanks for the reply. I'll have to see what happens when I press menu. Then reprogram if required.

Is there a way to set up a one button netflix activity.

I have netflix on my Vizo TV and panasonic blu-ray. On the TV, I have to select the VIA button and scroll to the netflix logo then select ok.

I wonder if theres a one button option for that. Maybe I should search first. Anyway thanks for answeing the original question. I'm new to harmony remotes. Before this I was playing around with JP1 remotes (OFA etc).

#334 ·
Newer panasonics have a button that goes straight to Netflix. Load THIS into your JP1 remote and see if the Netflix command works on the 65. If so, teach it to your harmony. If not, you can easily customize your activity to add commands and delays to the beginning to go directly to Netflix (for example: discrete on, wait, vieracast, up, ok), so long as your aren't using myharmony.com to do your programming.

As I said before, confirm IR is totally unnecessary in your case. So it's pointless to even try various menu functions.

#335 ·
Thanks, it's been a while since I used the JP1 tools and every time I go back to it to modify something I have to re-learn the process. That's why I bought the Harmony 650. The JP1 process served me well for about 5 or 6 years now (bought the URC-6131n and had them add the JP1 connector. Made my own cable etc. It was great.).

For nowm I just set up an activity that takes me to the VIA screen on the VIZIO TV so I just have to "arrow" to netflix from there. Vizio is supposed to be comming out with TVs that have a netflix button on the remote. Maybe when they come out, the code will apply to the older models as well.

#337 ·
That's what I did but I can't predict where the netflix widget will be when the VIA button is pressed so there's no way to know how much to arrow over (if at all) before selecting "ok".

For now, an activity that turns on the TV then delays (TV's boot up now!) then activates the VIA key is fine. I can take it to netflix from there.

#338 ·
Hello to everyone,

I am new to your company and I would really appreciate any help concerning a huge trouble I have with a 2nd hand 650 that I bought recently.

The remote is working in general (activities, buttons) BUT the problem is that the screen doesn't wake up after inactivity. I can use it right after I disconnect it from USB cable, but if I leave it without using it,the motion sensor seems that doesn't wake up the screen.

what I tried so far :

-Other batteries like rechargeable 2300mah

-Software and firmware update

-change tilt sensor status from settings (on/off)

-searched Google for similar situations, but couldn't find something similar

Any ideas what to try more?

#343 ·
Can anyone help please?

Had a problem last night with my Harmony and I'm not sure why?

In my "watch/Tv" Activity that is set up as follows:

Tv (mute at the start of activity) ....> Sky/hd box....>Amp (use for Volume control).*

I turned "all off" before going to bed last night, all well so far.*

The problem came when I turned my tv on upstairs which is linked to the Sky/Hd box by coaxial wire through the RF 2 out at the back of the box downstairs. I use the Magic eye device in order to turn sky on and select channels etc etc.*

Now when I turned sky on from the remote upstairs I got a pic but couldn't get any sound. The volume was doing nothing on the remote.

Went back down stairs turned on the "watch tv activity" with the harmony and the sound returned on the Tv upstairs.*

Shortly after this couldn't get the sky box to show *a picture even tho it was on the correct input. I then had to turn everything off by unplugging, then it returned.*

Didn't mess to much after that because it was to late.*

Any ideas why my volume was dead? Sorry for the long winded post hope it makes sense.*

TIA.

#344 ·
When in the PVR/DVR mode, I'd like to program the volume up & down buttons to control the volume on my receiver. Right now, if I want to turn down the volume after changing channels, I need to change the mode from PVR to AVR, lower the volume, and then go back to PVR. It's just kind of a hassle.

thanks.

#345 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro /forum/post/20657729

When in the PVR/DVR mode, I'd like to program the volume up & down buttons to control the volume on my receiver. Right now, if I want to turn down the volume after changing channels, I need to change the mode from PVR to AVR, lower the volume, and then go back to PVR. It's just kind of a hassle.

thanks.

Sounds like it might be a programming problem. There's a step in setting up an activity where you tell the Harmony which device controls the volume. That may be screwed up.

#346 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr /forum/post/20659859

Sounds like it might be a programming problem. There's a step in setting up an activity where you tell the Harmony which device controls the volume. That may be screwed up.

I'm not trying to set up an "activity", just want to be able to control the volume of the receiver when in the PVR mode, the same as when in the AVR mode. Thanks.

#347 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro /forum/post/20662293

I'm not trying to set up an "activity", just want to be able to control the volume of the receiver when in the PVR mode, the same as when in the AVR mode. Thanks.

Harmony doesn't work that way. Any volume punch thru must be done in activities, not device mode. Learning your AVR volume in your PVR device would also work, but that's the wrong way to do it. Just pick the right volume device in your PVR activity and you'll be fine.

#348 ·
Hi,

I was looking into buying either the 600 or 650 for HTPC control along with my receiver and DVD disk player. Just wanted to check what the experienced opinion would be to get it to control WMC on Windows 64bit. I have just bought a cheap HP WMC remote control so I'm guessing the IR receiver will work with the Harmony. Am I on the right track or is there a recommended receiver I should use for controlling WMC? And what is the difference between the 600 and 650?

Edit: Oops, I see on page 10 its all there, thanks

#349 ·
Hey guys, I have a bit of a problem. Contacted Logitech support but they haven't got back to me yet, just figured I'd ask here as well.

Here's the gear my Harmony 650 controls:

TV: LG 47LK520

Receiver: Samsung HT-AS610

It also controls my set-top box and blu ray player, but they're unrelated to the problem.

I recently got my new LG to replace my old Samsung (LNT3253H). Everything worked perfectly with the Samsung. When updating the programming of my 650, it wouldn't recognize the LG. I re-programmed, and now the TV controls fine, but for some reason my receiver won't recognize any commands at all.

I went through the troubleshooting menus, used the IR sensor and original remote to re-program, but still nothing. Even removed the device and re-did the activities. I know the HT-AS610 is supported (it worked fine before, and the database on logitech.com says so). Any ideas? I'm pretty baffled by this.

#350 ·
You should hear from Logitech support very soon. I have a new 650 (replaced my 880) and submitted a problem report on Saturday. The (correct) answer arrived this morning (I needed to lengthen the interdevice timing so my Pioneer AVR would consistently turn on as part of an activity).

#351 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn /forum/post/20683515

You should hear from Logitech support very soon. I have a new 650 (replaced my 880) and submitted a problem report on Saturday. The (correct) answer arrived this morning (I needed to lengthen the interdevice timing so my Pioneer AVR would consistently turn on as part of an activity).

Lengthening the timing between devices also solved a few issues in my HTPC setup. I guess it's just something you have to experiment with.

#352 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdn /forum/post/20683515

Still waiting on the reply from Logitech support, so I'll see what they have to say. It's not just a problem of the reciever not turning on, however, it won't accept volume commands, inputs, anything.

Kinda pisses me off . . . I was in love with this remote before this snag came up.