AVS Forum banner

Official Logitech Harmony 650/600 remote thread

456K views 2K replies 482 participants last post by  influx3k 
#1 ·
Announcements:

Logitech's Blogpost announcing the 650 & 600: http://blog.logitech.com/2010/03/02/...remotes-debut/

Logitech's official press release: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/172/6739&cl=us,en

Logitech's webpages:

Logitech's 650 webpage: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re.../6621&cl=us,en

Logitech's webpage comparing the 650 to the 700 (apparently with some inaccuracies): http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re...&A11=11&A12=12

Logitech's 600 webpage (Britain): http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/remote...s/devices/6620

(The 600 will apparently be offered at CompUSA and Target starting in early May, 2010.)

Product Info:

Amazon's 650 webpage (lots of product information): http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...9291851&sr=8-1

Reviews:

Engadget's 650 review: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/l...remote-review/

User Manuals:

User manual for the 650, version 1.0: http://images.harmonyremote.com/Easy...UserManual.pdf

See less See more
#378 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_au /forum/post/20797228

bodhi78: I tried the learn 2 power commands as one trick, but after finally getting it to save it didn't work when I tested it.

I sent Logitech support an email, so hoping they can do something.

In that case, the delay between 2 power toggles is significant. Logitech usually will help users do this if yours still under warranty. In case you did not get it, the first thing to find out is how long the delay must be, I'd expect it to be perhaps 10 to 15 seconds (I recalled other projectors need that long to shut down).

#379 ·
I am having a problem with some of my activities. I have one activity that basically just switches the input on my TV. The problem I am having is that once the activity is finished I can't control my TV. I have to choose the device in order to get control of it again. I am using the Harmony 7.7 software instead of myharmony.com because I have more control and can do sequences.

#380 ·
first off, make sure you're not using the wizard setup thru their software. set up each activity manually.

if you've already done that, then go to the activity in question and select 'customize buttons'. from there you can add the commands to the buttons used for your tv activity.

hope that helps!

,r

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterob121 /forum/post/20799956

I am having a problem with some of my activities. I have one activity that basically just switches the input on my TV. The problem I am having is that once the activity is finished I can't control my TV. I have to choose the device in order to get control of it again. I am using the Harmony 7.7 software instead of myharmony.com because I have more control and can do sequences.

#382 ·
The favorites icon site is back up and running after a brief downtime caused by power outages at host's Texas facility. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Enjoy your icons and remotes!

,R

#383 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by squareeyes /forum/post/20802624

first off, make sure you're not using the wizard setup thru their software. set up each activity manually.

if you've already done that, then go to the activity in question and select 'customize buttons'. from there you can add the commands to the buttons used for your tv activity.

hope that helps!

,r

Thanks, the 'customize buttons' worked out fine. I didn't ever look at that page before but I was able to do what I wanted.

#384 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterob121 /forum/post/20810547

Thanks, the 'customize buttons' worked out fine. I didn't ever look at that page before but I was able to do what I wanted.

excellent! glad it worked out.

,r

#388 ·
well after messing around with it for the last couple of hours I must say I feel stupid and am not afraid to admit it. lol.

Basically after reading advice on here I downloaded the software so that I had more behind the scenes ability to fix things. This is where my trouble starts.

I have a mits wd65734, phillips dvd recorder dvdr3576h and a sony blu ray bdp5360.

i tried setting up the watch tv activity and it refuses to set it up in any manner but with the recorder an tv both turned on and the recorder controlling the channels. i thought ok i will just remove the recorder and it tells me i have no devices capable of changing channels.

i am sure i am just doing something dumb but am clueless.

it never could turn the tv on and off either. i had to end up going through a convoluted process and finally got to a screen where it learned to do it off my old tv remote.

in frustration i removed the software and went did a setup through the website, where i did have the options of the tv controlling the channels and not having to always turn on the recorder since on just watching tv i dont want the recorder on at all. then the same problem came up where it set that all up but it will not even turn the tv on or off.

i am to the point of just returning it unless someone can help me and point out what silly thing i am doing wrong. i would prefer to use the software to set everything up.

thanks in advance!

#391 ·
and for not laughing at me. lol. I will download the software again and look for the manual option. I don't recall seeing it but maybe i did not look in the right place.

you are correct the myharmony site does not give you the option but it did let me correctly setup the watch tv without using the recorder. It just never got the tv control right period though. It would never even power it on!

#392 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/20716030

I can confirm that the harmony database does NOT have 30 second skip for moto boxes. You have a couple of options. Cable remotes like your old one are usually around $8 shipped on ebay. The $15 RCA RCRP05B at sears will also control your box and take the 994 code for skip. You can use one of those to teach the harmony or use in lieu of buying a harmony. Or find or create the pronto hex for that command and add it to your harmony via support. Google MakeHex in order to download the software for generating the codes.

Not sure about this. I just purchased a 650 and one of my devices is a Verizon FIOS Motorola QIP7232. I think I am in fact getting the 30 second skip option although the button used is not the one I expected. The Fast Forward and Skip buttons on the Harmony seem to do the trick.

#393 ·
hey! kinda late, but from what i've read this hasnt quite been addressed....

Has anyone experienced problems with teaching the harmony a new button. for some reason the harmony 650 is not responding to my Vizio M470NV remote. for whatever reason the default setup on the harmony has the VIA menu pop-up when I press the standard MENU button. I am trying to re-teach the Harmony to show the standard Vizio MENU, however it is completely unresponsive when I try to use the teach wizard.

basically, the VIA on screen menu pops-up when both MENU or which ever VIA assigned button is selected...I cannot get the Harmony to pop-up the regular Vizio menu.

thanks guys

#394 ·
I downloaded the software again and started from scratch and did everything i could manual and wow it set the remote up correctly the first time! Thanks for that tip!

the biggest problem i still have is that the volume button advances the sound rapidly in various amounts at the slightest touch. is there a way to make it go slower in increasing and decreasing the tv volume?

the other thing that really bugs me is it forces me to make the tv set the input. the tv remembers the input and i dont want it to change it back to the same setting everytime i turn it on if that makes sense. is there a way to make it just turn the tv on and not set an input?

thanks in advance!

#395 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by neillj /forum/post/0

I downloaded the software again and started from scratch and did everything i could manual and wow it set the remote up correctly the first time! Thanks for that tip!

the biggest problem i still have is that the volume button advances the sound rapidly in various amounts at the slightest touch. is there a way to make it go slower in increasing and decreasing the tv volume?

the other thing that really bugs me is it forces me to make the tv set the input. the tv remembers the input and i dont want it to change it back to the same setting everytime i turn it on if that makes sense. is there a way to make it just turn the tv on and not set an input?

thanks in advance!

So as one of your activities are you saying you want to just turn the tv on and nothing else?

#396 ·
neillj,

You can't solve either problem with myharmony.com, but you can with the stand-alone software. To fix the volume, follow the troubleshooting wizard and answer the questions. For the other problem, set up your tv activity manually. I think you have the option to not pick an input or pick a bogus one using method 2 (discrete inputs). Using method 2, it won't hurt to pick the same input every time. If you are using myharmony, you'll have to call support to fix both problems.

#397 ·
OK, here's my problem. I've got a Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu Ray player. My Harmony 650 is setup to power on the player, the TV, the AV Receiver. I would like the Harmony to send the eject command to the Blu Ray Player, but here's the problem: The Panasonic takes nearly 30 seconds just to power up - that is it displays a "hello" message which stays on the display for nearly 30 seconds, then an HDMI message shows up, and finally you are able to hit the eject button on the player to open the drawer. I am using the Haromony 7.7 software and have gone in and added the "eject" command to the Panasonic sequence for "watch dvd". I even went in and added 3 10 second pause commands prior to the eject command in hopes that that would give the Panasonic time to power up and receive the eject command. Nothing I've done seems to be successful. Any thoughts out there from you experts?

#398 ·
If the BD60 is like other panny players, it has a quick startup option in the setup which should solve your problem. I have also found that if I hit eject about 5 seconds into the startup it will indeed buffer the command and eventually eject several seconds later.

Having said that, are you sure you always want to eject? I would simply press eject when needed rather than do it automatically every time. If you want to resume a disc, eject would be undesirable. And even if you did get the delays to work, chances are pretty low that you'll always hold the remote still for 30 seconds in order for it to work. Generally if my macros need more than 10 seconds or so, then they'll never be reliable without using RF, so I find other solutions.

#400 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej /forum/post/20846737

If the BD60 is like other panny players, it has a quick startup option in the setup which should solve your problem. I have also found that if I hit eject about 5 seconds into the startup it will indeed buffer the command and eventually eject several seconds later.

Having said that, are you sure you always want to eject? I would simply press eject when needed rather than do it automatically every time. If you want to resume a disc, eject would be undesirable. And even if you did get the delays to work, chances are pretty low that you'll always hold the remote still for 30 seconds in order for it to work. Generally if my macros need more than 10 seconds or so, then they'll never be reliable without using RF, so I find other solutions.

Actually, your reply sort of indicates what my problem was. I had programmed several 10 second delays in hopes of sending the eject command after the startup sequence had completed, but I was forgetting that I needed to allow the remote to remain pointed in the general direction until those delays were completed. Once I stopped turning away from the machine, it worked. However, now the command opens the tray, but it immediately closes again. Strange. But you are right, there isn't much effort saved by opening the tray automatically at startup. I suppose I was getting accustomed to the Harmony doing ALL the work for me, and said, "why not?" Think I'll move on. Thanks for your help.

#401 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rta53 /forum/post/20846774

Why would you want to automatically do eject at startup every time? It's only one more button to hit anyway.

ONLY 1 more button! Are you joking? Why over a lifetime that would be an extra calorie to two I would save by not having to move my finger. LOL

OK, you've got a point. I just wanted to see if I could do it. Love the remote and I guess I was just trying to stretch its usefulness.

Moving on now.

#402 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbshop /forum/post/20849850

ONLY 1 more button! Are you joking? Why over a lifetime that would be an extra calorie to two I would save by not having to move my finger. LOL

OK, you've got a point. I just wanted to see if I could do it. Love the remote and I guess I was just trying to stretch its usefulness.

Moving on now.
Keep on doing this, that's how we learn