1Likes

post #601 of 1249 Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks

At first impression this stuff is very confusing. When I get a couple of hours I'll try to make it work. Maybe after a while I'll even understand why these remotes are so popular.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1249 Old 03-18-2012, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have the 650 remote. I also have a Vizio vht215 sound bar. No matter what I seem to try, I can't get the remote to switch the input to HDMI1 when using the watch TV button. The sound bar always defaults to Analog. I asked Vizio and there's no way to change the default on the sound bar. But the Harmony remote should be able to do it. I've tried changing the input delay as well as havng the soundbar come on first but nothing has helped. I'm hoping someone here knows how to fix this. Thanks.

post #603 of 1249 Old 03-19-2012, 04:46 AM

I also have that vizio soundbar, which spurred me to get the harmony 650 to control everything with one remote. After a couple weeks I couldn't stand the harmony constantly losing its programming. The customer service people tried, but honestly some of them could barely speak english and it was very irritating to hear them continually telling me to check the battery connections (shouldn't that just work anyways?) and re sync the remote when it obviously had a deeper issue.

In summary, returning my harmony 650 and getting the URC R50 was a great decision. The R50 is not that difficult to program, and best of all, it consistently works!
post #604 of 1249 Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
The problem with the 650 that you described is indeed a poor batter connection (no power = resets and loss of programming). Unfortunately there is a defect. But increasing the spring tension will fix it.

BTW, the R50 is half price on clearance at many Target stores. The WR7 is half price as well.
post #605 of 1249 Old 03-19-2012, 08:13 AM

I wanted to upgrade my bedroom remote from the WR7 so I tried the R50 remote. Half off at Target, so I thought I'd give it a go. I ended up returning it and getting the Harmony 600 instead.

I got all of my macros setup right. The remote shutoff unused devices when changing activities, the problem for me was that I couldn't get the on/off buttons to actually turn everything on or off. I used the method that I did with my WR7. No luck. I set it up on a number button on a favorite. No luck. I did a few other things an couldn't get it to work, which defeats one of the big reasons why I want a universal remote.

My Harmony remotes just work. I fix the battery contact issue before I load up for the first time and the programming just works. Are the remotes dumbed down to get you to buy up? Yeah, they are. The software is gimped, but the remotes just work.
post #606 of 1249 Old 04-04-2012, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
About a month ago, I was moving equipment around needing to change inputs on receiver and added apple tv, so I reprogrammed my 650. Now the "replay" and "skip" functions for the dvr (motorola vip-1200) don't work. I've gone thought the troubleshooting process and tried to manually teach the commands. No luck. I was on the phone w their tech support for 30 minutes and was eventually disconnected. Any words of wisdom?
post #607 of 1249 Old 04-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Hi Folks,
Just installed the 7.7 software for a 650 and I need to remove a device, I stopped at the add activity screen and there is noplace to step back and remove a device. How do I do it?

Thanks,
Bob
post #608 of 1249 Old 04-23-2012, 05:25 PM

Hello again folks,
I have setup the 650 for watching movies using the web based setup with my AV amp as the audio device. Yet my TV still outputs audio through it's speakers. Is there a way to send a final mute command to the TV at the end of the activity on a 650?

Thanks,

Bob
post #609 of 1249 Old 04-23-2012, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Device removal is fairly obvious. I think you just need to explore the software and become more familiar.

You add more commands by running the wizard again and at the end select "I want to add more control" or something like that. Mute is usually a bad solution to your problem because many TVs leave a Mute icon on the screen. If yours doesn't then that's great. If it does, you'll probably want to send a series of vol- commands instead.
post #610 of 1249 Old 04-23-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Has anyone here successfully using the 650 as mouse control for Window Media Center? If so, please show me how. I did a search on 'mouse' and did not have a return. Thanks.
post #611 of 1249 Old 04-24-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Has anyone here successfully using the 650 as mouse control for Window Media Center? If so, please show me how. I did a search on 'mouse' and did not have a return. Thanks.

HERE's one of many solutions that work fine with any learning remote.
post #612 of 1249 Old 04-24-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
Thanks for the link. I have a similar mce remote which is barely used as my 650 was taught to do everything except the mouse. I also have the air mouse app on my iPhone. I was trying to control mce with mouse and all my other equipment with just my Harmony 650.
post #613 of 1249 Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

So just teach the harmony the mouse commands from the remote you already have. Keep in mind, on the model linked, there are not 4 directions, but 8, so you'll have to get creative on the diagonals. Kind of clunky to use compared to air mouse, but works fine. I used one for years with my universal remotes before I got an iPhone.
post #614 of 1249 Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

So just teach the harmony the mouse commands from the remote you already have. Keep in mind, on the model linked, there are not 4 directions, but 8, so you'll have to get creative on the diagonals. Kind of clunky to use compared to air mouse, but works fine. I used one for years with my universal remotes before I got an iPhone.

Just curious. What are you using on your iPhone?
post #615 of 1249 Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rta53 View Post

Just curious. What are you using on your iPhone?

If you mean what mouse app, I'm using Mobile Mouse. It's amazing. You can use the screen as a touchpad or just point the phone at the screen and move it around in the air to move the mouse. It also has every key imaginable, context sensitive keyboards for each app (browser, media player, etc.), task switching, custom shortcuts, etc. It will also do wake-on-lan. I'll never use an MCE remote or expensive wireless keyboard/mouse again.

If you meant what universal remote app, then I don't use one of those. I prefer a hard button remote I can use by feel. I've tried several, even written a few of my own, over the years. While they are fun to play with and look beautiful, nothing beats a simple, inexpensive device with actual buttons that you don't have to look at to use. For that I use Xsight and JP1. I used harmony for a while, but found them too limited to be very useful. The older models are fine, but the current models have so few features and so few devices, they only work in very simple systems. URC also makes great remotes, but they generally cost more than I'm willing to spend and do little more than my $10 JP1 remotes.
post #616 of 1249 Old 04-24-2012, 08:05 AM

Thanks for the info. I agree about the real button remotes. I have 2 Harmony remotes and don't use either on a regular basis. I recently bought a Phillips 7 function remote for $10 that has a good feel to it and works pretty well. My wife probably thinks I'm a little weird since my solution for remote simplicity is to buy another remote.
post #617 of 1249 Old 04-24-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you mean what mouse app, I'm using Mobile Mouse. It's amazing. You can use the screen as a touchpad or just point the phone at the screen and move it around in the air to move the mouse. It also has every key imaginable, context sensitive keyboards for each app (browser, media player, etc.), task switching, custom shortcuts, etc. It will also do wake-on-lan. I'll never use an MCE remote or expensive wireless keyboard/mouse again.

If you meant what universal remote app, then I don't use one of those. I prefer a hard button remote I can use by feel. I've tried several, even written a few of my own, over the years. While they are fun to play with and look beautiful, nothing beats a simple, inexpensive device with actual buttons that you don't have to look at to use. For that I use Xsight and JP1. I used harmony for a while, but found them too limited to be very useful. The older models are fine, but the current models have so few features and so few devices, they only work in very simple systems. URC also makes great remotes, but they generally cost more than I'm willing to spend and do little more than my $10 JP1 remotes.

What is JP1 remote for 10 bucks? Also what is Xsight? I had mobile mouse app on my phone when it first came out and do not believe it had the ability to control mouse by moving the phone in the air (very cool- like the Gyration remote that cost over $70 just for the remote alone). I have not used it for years. I need to play with it again when i get home this weekend. Thanks for the head up.
post #618 of 1249 Old 04-24-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Never mind, i see the Xsight remote post above this. I went on mobile mouse web and read about it and look like they have made it better since I last used.
post #619 of 1249 Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mdavej,
Thanks for mentioning the mobile mouse app. I ve been playing with it and can now say that I can retire my Iogear wireless keyboard. Awesome app along with my H650 with MCE programmed simplify my HTPC.
post #620 of 1249 Old 05-13-2012, 06:01 AM

I just got a 650 for my bedroom and cant get it to sync with the software because I already have a Harmony one for the living room. I entered all the data and it keeps thinking Im working with the One. How do you get it to do two remotes?
Also I use my Directv in the RF mode. Do I have to switch back to the IR mode? That would mean I would need to move the DTV Box back on top to be in line of sight from the bed.
post #621 of 1249 Old 05-13-2012, 06:12 AM

ARGG..
Just found this that says the software can just handle one remote. To do 2 remotes I need to open another account.
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmon...ch/td-p/305936
post #622 of 1249 Old 05-13-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reshired View Post

ARGG..
Just found this that says the software can just handle one remote. To do 2 remotes I need to open another account.
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmon...ch/td-p/305936

What's the problem with having 2 accounts if it accomplishes what you want?
post #623 of 1249 Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

To answer your other question, your DirecTV box must be in IR mode to work with harmony. If you had gotten Xsight remotes, both would work with a single account and control DirecTV via RF and cost a lot less money. Food for thought for anyone else in your situation.
post #624 of 1249 Old 05-13-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:

To answer your other question, your DirecTV box must be in IR mode to work with harmony. If you had gotten Xsight remotes, both would work with a single account and control DirecTV via RF and cost a lot less money. Food for thought for anyone else in your situation.

Thanks Mdave
I just ordered the xsight touch on amazon for what I paid for the Harmony 650 at best buy.
i will be returning it tomorrow.
The xsight touch contoles my directv in RF mode and looks to be far more advanced than anything Harmony has.
post #625 of 1249 Old 05-13-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Anyone have suggestions for an ir repeater for this remote?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #626 of 1249 Old 05-22-2012, 08:07 PM

Liked: 11
So I purchased a 600 and it randomly seems to reset itself. It holds all programming information but it comes back to the first boot screen on how to use the remote a few times daily. Any thing that I am missing?
post #627 of 1249 Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

That's a common problem with the 600/650, loose battery contacts. Stretch the springs a little and see if that helps. If not, return or exchange it.
post #628 of 1249 Old 05-22-2012, 08:31 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks!!
post #629 of 1249 Old 05-24-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm usinng my harmony.com setup to config my 650. It seems to work fine. Don't know what I'm missing by not using the 7.7 software. I'm having a problem with the "buttons section" button mapping though. I pick change or fix screen option and I'm able to assign the four screen slots to their corresponding buttons. It shows that I've assigned all 4 correctly but after I sink my remote the top left box is blank on remote and my my fourth screen function button gets assigned to page to 2 so that page 1 only has 3 buttons assigned. This happens with all 3 of my activities. The top left screen button box get's assigned a blank function despite the software on my PC saying all 4 are assigned. With exception to my uverse TV activity in which case top left box get's assigned "favorite TV channels". I also am not allowed to delete or move this favorite setting from uverse for some reason.
post #630 of 1249 Old 05-24-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

You need to modify the buttons in your activities, not the devices. Changes to devices don't carry over to activities.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page