1Likes

post #901 of 1285 Old 08-17-2013, 03:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

If I understand you correctly, arrbee, you want to control power to your sat receiver with the wall switch, not the remote. If you are using myharmony.com to program your remote, try this:

1. Select Devices then your sat receiver.
2. Change Device Settings
3. Select Power settings then Next
4. Select the last option "There are no power buttons on my original remote"
5. Finish

I haven't tested this but it should remove all sat receiver power controls from your activities but allow you to control other functions.

Apaulct, thanks very much, but I don't actually want to control the sat receiver with the wall switch, I was just saying that I don't leave things powered all the time (either on or standby), I do like to power things off completely when wer're asleep, all out of the house, etc.
I think its just this power toggle thing in that I would like, if possible, that when I press 'watch TV', if the satbox is on it stays ON, and if the satbox is on standby it gets switched ON (together with other things like setting the TV input source and whatever).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1285 Old 08-17-2013, 07:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbee99 View Post

Apaulct, thanks very much, but I don't actually want to control the sat receiver with the wall switch, I was just saying that I don't leave things powered all the time (either on or standby), I do like to power things off completely when wer're asleep, all out of the house, etc.
I think its just this power toggle thing in that I would like, if possible, that when I press 'watch TV', if the satbox is on it stays ON, and if the satbox is on standby it gets switched ON (together with other things like setting the TV input source and whatever).

OK but I don't know if your receiver supports discreet power on/off. Some do, some don't but we can check, from myharmony:

1. Devices and select your receiver.
3. Power Settings and Next
4. Select "I want to turn off this device when not in use" and Next
5. "I press two different buttons for on and for off" and Next
6. "+ Add Command" and look in the Command dropdown list for "PowerOn" if it exists your golden, select it. If only "PowerToggle" exists, back to the drawing boards.
7. Select Power off Commands" then "+ Add Command"
8. Look for "PowerOff" in the Command dropdown list and select it.
9. Finish

If this all works and the discreet power commands exist for your receiver your in business. Now when you press "Watch TV" the remote will send PowerOn and the receiver will ignore it of it's already on or turn on if it is in standby.

Hope this works for you.

Allen
post #903 of 1285 Old 08-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:

OK but I don't know if your receiver supports discreet power on/off. Some do, some don't but we can check, from myharmony:

1. Devices and select your receiver.
3. Power Settings and Next
4. Select "I want to turn off this device when not in use" and Next
5. "I press two different buttons for on and for off" and Next
6. "+ Add Command" and look in the Command dropdown list for "PowerOn" if it exists your golden, select it. If only "PowerToggle" exists, back to the drawing boards.
7. Select Power off Commands" then "+ Add Command"
8. Look for "PowerOff" in the Command dropdown list and select it.
9. Finish

If this all works and the discreet power commands exist for your receiver your in business. Now when you press "Watch TV" the remote will send PowerOn and the receiver will ignore it of it's already on or turn on if it is in standby.

Hope this works for you.

I actually use the Harmony Remote Software 7.7, but regardless I basically did as you suggested and I only came up with the 'Power Toggle' command. which obviously doesn't help.

Thought I'd try making a new activity, using both TV and satbox, but I basically end up with the same activity I have already, and I can't see a way to remove the satbox power is on command it gives under the Settings 'Tab'.

Tried adding a different activity created as a Utility, just selecting the TV and adding satbox buttons manually. But seeing as there is no satbox power is on command I can't select buttons for the satbox as it will only list TV commands. Thought I could get it to learn satbox commands but it will only learn them as TV commands, and maybe it will bugger up the existing TV commands for other activities.

Hope this isn't too confusing - as you may have gathered this is my first week with my first Universal remote
post #904 of 1285 Old 08-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Can someone help me resolve my power toggle problem? Right now I am having my remote turn on/off my tv, receiver and computer. My problem is that the computer doesn't always turn on/off when I give the command, which forces me to click on the help button. Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?

When I use the help button, my computer will turn on/off so I do I know that it isn't a problem of my remote not being compatible.
post #905 of 1285 Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post

Can someone help me resolve my power toggle problem? Right now I am having my remote turn on/off my tv, receiver and computer. My problem is that the computer doesn't always turn on/off when I give the command, which forces me to click on the help button. Anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?

When I use the help button, my computer will turn on/off so I do I know that it isn't a problem of my remote not being compatible.
Delay settings?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steam: Guts
post #906 of 1285 Old 08-18-2013, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I actually use the Harmony Remote Software 7.7, but regardless I basically did as you suggested and I only came up with the 'Power Toggle' command. which obviously doesn't help.

Thought I'd try making a new activity, using both TV and satbox, but I basically end up with the same activity I have already, and I can't see a way to remove the satbox power is on command it gives under the Settings 'Tab'.

Tried adding a different activity created as a Utility, just selecting the TV and adding satbox buttons manually. But seeing as there is no satbox power is on command I can't select buttons for the satbox as it will only list TV commands. Thought I could get it to learn satbox commands but it will only learn them as TV commands, and maybe it will bugger up the existing TV commands for other activities.

Hope this isn't too confusing - as you may have gathered this is my first week with my first Universal remote
Logitech, in trying to make the remote programming simple, took away some flexibility, especially in power controls. I haven't found a way to edit the power on or off within an activity either.

AFAIK, power is controlled in the device section, not individual activity. Power switching for the device is the same across all activities. It assumes power is off at the start and toggles on/off as it "thinks" is required. If power is on at the start, it gets out of sync, as you know. The only way I've found around it is discrete on/off commands. Post the make/model of your receiver & I'll see if I can find discrete commands.

Another thought is creating a second instance of your receiver disabling at least the power on command. Create an activity with this "new" device to watch tv. Drawback it this uses up another of your 5 devices. Not sure this is any easier than going to help and getting things back in sync, your call. The whole problem is the remote has no way on knowing the state of the receiver so it toggles each time ... Kind of stating the obvious here smile.gif

Allen
post #907 of 1285 Old 08-18-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:

Is the computer located close enough to the receiver & TV so all 3 can "see" the ir signal from the remote?

Allen
post #908 of 1285 Old 08-18-2013, 11:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Is the computer located close enough to the receiver & TV so all 3 can "see" the ir signal from the remote?
Yes. All three can see the remote and are all within two feet of each other. This problem doesn't always happen but it does enough to bother me.
post #909 of 1285 Old 08-18-2013, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Delay settings?
Which delay and do I increase or decrease the value?
post #910 of 1285 Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 AM

Quote:

Logitech, in trying to make the remote programming simple, took away some flexibility, especially in power controls. I haven't found a way to edit the power on or off within an activity either.

AFAIK, power is controlled in the device section, not individual activity. Power switching for the device is the same across all activities. It assumes power is off at the start and toggles on/off as it "thinks" is required. If power is on at the start, it gets out of sync, as you know. The only way I've found around it is discrete on/off commands. Post the make/model of your receiver & I'll see if I can find discrete commands.

Another thought is creating a second instance of your receiver disabling at least the power on command. Create an activity with this "new" device to watch tv. Drawback it this uses up another of your 5 devices. Not sure this is any easier than going to help and getting things back in sync, your call. The whole problem is the remote has no way on knowing the state of the receiver so it toggles each time ... Kind of stating the obvious here smile.gif

My satbox is called a DishTV, model s7070r. Don't know if you'll find out anything about it though, its made in New Zealand, which is where I live. They told me this unit always goes to ON, not Standby when powered up, and cannot be changed, hence the problem. I've emailed them re discrete power controls, but no reply so far.

Have created a second instance of the satbox on the 650, but couldn't see an obvious way (at least to me) of disabling the power on command, so I reprogrammed the power toggle with a hopefully useless command from a remote for a TV we don't use any more, which the satbox will hopefully ignore. Will see if this works whenever the family actually stop using said satbox/TV.
post #911 of 1285 Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have exactly the same requirement as you, the only difference is the satbox. I'm using a digitial tuner.

In fact, many satboxes or TV tuners are like this. They always enter power on status when it gets power. In my case, my Topfield tuner is mounted on top of the projector, and got power feed from the projector's 12V trigger out. I ditched the tuner's power brick and made a 15cm long cable to feed that power, so one less standby power consumption and less wire mess (with the help of a 20cm long HDMI cable).

Personally, I don't really care whether they are on or off during movie watching. They do not consume much power. My tuner consumes 260mA on 12V, so it's just 3W. In standby, it still consumes 50mA (0.6W).

But, with a geek in heart, you can tweak it and make it perfect. Here is what I did:

In the tuner device's power-on setting, I keep it standard, eg a single PowerToggle command to turn it on or off, and select the "turn off this device when not in use" option.

My PJ has a long power-on delay. It takes over 20 seconds to boot up, so in the PJ device's power-on setting, I programmed the power on sequence as follows:
PJ PowerToggle command
20 seconds delay
Tuner's PowerToggle command (by learning from its remote)
2 seconds delay
Another dummy command (otherwise this 2 second delay will be ignored, refer to my ranting in post 883)

In the Watch TV activity (or whatever activity that you need the tuner), in its power-on sequence, I force the PJ to switch on first, and add another PowerToggle command of the tuner, after the fixed input switching sequence (this is the area where you can add commands freely).
post #912 of 1285 Old 08-19-2013, 06:12 PM

Continue with the above post, this is what happend in real life:

Code start Watch TV activity:
Press Watch TV activity
Remote initiates Watch TV activity startup sequence
PJ power-on sequence:
PJ power-on command from remote
Tuner gets 12V power from PJ (which automatically turns it on)
Wait 20 seconds
Tuner gets PowerToggle commnad from remote (which switches it off!)
Wait 2 more seconds
Tuner power-on sequence:
Tuner power-on command from remote (the tuner has 10 seconds power-on delay so this command is ignored)
Device input switching sequence
Tuner get another PowerToggle commnad (which switches it on!)
(Tuner stays on)

Code start Watch Movie activity:
Press Watch Movie activity
Remote initiates Watch Movie activity startup sequence
PJ power-on sequence:
PJ power-on command from remote
Tuner gets 12V power from PJ (which automatically turns it on)
Wait 20 seconds
Tuner gets PowerToggle commnad from remote (which switches it off!)
Wait 2 more seconds
(Tuner stays off)

Switch from Watch TV to Watch Movie activity:
(at this stage the tuner is on)
Press Watch Movie activity
Remote initiates Watch TV activity shutdown sequence
PJ power-off sequence skipped (since the remote tracks its power status):
Tuner power-off sequence:
Tuner gets PowerToggle commnad from remote (which switches it off)
Remote initiates Watch Movie activity startup sequence
PJ power-on sequence skipped (since the remote tracks its power status):
(Tuner stays off)

Switch from Watch Movie to Watch TV activity:
(at this stage the tuner is off/standby)
Press Watch TV activity
Remote initiates Watch Movie activity shutdown sequence
PJ power-off sequence skipped (since the remote tracks its power status):
Remote initiates Watch TV activity startup sequence
PJ power-on sequence skipped (since the remote tracks its power status):
Tuner power-on sequence:
Tuner power-on command from remote (which switches it on)
Tuner get another powerToggle command (the tuner has 10 seconds power-on delay so this command is ignored)
(Tuner stays on)

I have thought this process long and hard and this kind of twisted thinking is the only way to make it work perfectly.

All these hassle (and fun) of such a setup is due to the following factors:
1) The tuner automatically enters power-on status whenever it gets power.
2) The tuner does not have discrete power-on and off command.
3) The tuner has 10 seconds power-on delay which it does not respond to any command.
4) The PJ has 22 seconds power-on delay which it does not respond to any command.
5) I want the tuner to be off/standby when not in Watch TV activity - only to save that 2.4W of power, because I can! But seriously, the main purpose is to reduce the current draw from the 12V trigger socket. It is rated to 500mA but I want to reduce its workload as much as possible.
6) I want to completely remove the power supply to the tuner when not watching anything (aka same as hard switch off at wall).
post #913 of 1285 Old 08-20-2013, 04:36 AM

hotjt133 you're right about the hassle, not too sure about the fun...you must have spent a lot of time fixing things up.

I think I got the WatchTV WatchDVD switching thing working and powering the satbox on and off OK, but also think that sometimes it doesn't control the power for the satbox properly on occasion, just not sure if its a pattern (and presumably a programming thing) or an occasional random something or other (signal not being received by satbox ?).

Don't you have to point the remote at the PJ for a long time with those delays ? - think the kids would die of exhaustion if they had to hold a remote for that long

might also try your Code Start WatchTV Activity (amongst others) where you turn the tuner off and then on again, but want to just make sure how reliable (or not) things are here at the moment (it probably doesn't help that I don't really know what I'm doing....)
post #914 of 1285 Old 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM

Very creative solution, hotjt, my compliments.

I agree with arrbee, don't know how you get the family to keep the remote pointed for half a minute. It's tough for me to get my wife to keep it pointed for 3-4 seconds, no way she would hold it for 30 secs wink.gif With that kind of delay, a dog would pass by and block a signal anyway biggrin.gif

I don't have the issues you guys have. Since my cable tuner is a DVR, it's on or standby 24/7. If I remove power it won't record, obviously. My AVR also does AirPlay from my iPod Touch so it's on standby for "wake on lan" requests. I have a simple setup:

DVR ---->|
. . . . . . . |----> AVR----> TV
Blu-ray ->|

The DVR is the only device that doesn't have discrete on/off commands. My wife knows to go into help when it gets out of sync.

Allen
post #915 of 1285 Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:

Don't you have to point the remote at the PJ for a long time with those delays ?

I am the only one in the family that are allowed to operate the HTPC smile.gif and hence that remote, or any media playing duties, so no problem for me, as I'm aware of every step of the commands and consequences.

Also, the harmony is quite powerful. I just point it to the wall in a general direction, as if there was a TV there. I could even put it on the coffee table facing the wall. The reflection is strong enough to be received by both PJ and tuner (the tuner is on top of the PJ also facing the wall). It worked reliably everytime. So it is not as difficult as you might have thought.

If I want to try some commands or sequences that don't want to be picked up by the devices, I have to put the remote into the pocket smile.gif
Quote:

not too sure about the fun...
I do have a love-hate relationship with the harmony. The fun bit comes from, you know, somehow, it will work, but not straightaway, not without some fight, due to the enormous limitations imposed by their development team - I have bitched enough so don't want to repeat here. Creatively hacking around for a solution is a bit of fun.
post #916 of 1285 Old 08-21-2013, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I don't have the issues you guys have. Since my cable tuner is a DVR, it's on or standby 24/7. If I remove power it won't record, obviously. My AVR also does AirPlay from my iPod Touch so it's on standby for "wake on lan" requests. I have a simple setup:

DVR ---->|
. . . . . . . |----> AVR----> TV
Blu-ray ->|

The DVR is the only device that doesn't have discrete on/off commands. My wife knows to go into help when it gets out of sync.
I have the same setup as you. I tell Harmony to turn on all devices whenever I watch TV or a movie and to leave all devices on until I turn everything off. Harmony is easily confused. This simplifies things for Harmony. The only time things get out of sync is when the DVR turns itself on to record a program but does not turn itself off after the recording. Then I have to reset the DVR.
post #917 of 1285 Old 08-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjt133 View Post

I am the only one in the family that are allowed to operate the HTPC smile.gif and hence that remote, or any media playing duties, so no problem for me, as I'm aware of every step of the commands and consequences.

Also, the harmony is quite powerful. I just point it to the wall in a general direction, as if there was a TV there. I could even put it on the coffee table facing the wall. The reflection is strong enough to be received by both PJ and tuner (the tuner is on top of the PJ also facing the wall). It worked reliably everytime. So it is not as difficult as you might have thought.

If I want to try some commands or sequences that don't want to be picked up by the devices, I have to put the remote into the pocket smile.gif
I do have a love-hate relationship with the harmony. The fun bit comes from, you know, somehow, it will work, but not straightaway, not without some fight, due to the enormous limitations imposed by their development team - I have bitched enough so don't want to repeat here. Creatively hacking around for a solution is a bit of fun.
And that's my problem. Enough so that the wife threatens to go back to four individual remotes! 😢
post #918 of 1285 Old 08-21-2013, 06:58 PM

I think you're lucky to have a wife who are willing to operate. I tried to teach her or the in-laws to play, but their common response is that "I made the PC too complicated to find what to play...".

They basically don't know where to find the content, despite they are all under D:\Movie or D:\TV and had a nice and clean directory structure. Also they don't know the difference between mkv or iso and don't know iso needs to be mounted. And if they deleted or moved some files by dragging, they would not tell me, probably would not even know that...

So at the end of the day, I just enforced the rule of no one touch the HPTC except me...
post #919 of 1285 Old 08-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I think you're lucky to have a wife who are willing to operate. I tried to teach her or the in-laws to play, but their common response is that "I made the PC too complicated to find what to play...".

They basically don't know where to find the content, despite they are all under D:\Movie or D:\TV and had a nice and clean directory structure. Also they don't know the difference between mkv or iso and don't know iso needs to be mounted. And if they deleted or moved some files by dragging, they would not tell me, probably would not even know that...

So at the end of the day, I just enforced the rule of no one touch the HPTC except me...
Oh, I couldn't get the wife or kids to out up with that. I had to out up a nice shiny and simple front end (mediaportal) in order for them to accept the htpc.

It's nice though. Movies, TV series, TV, music, pictures, family videos, weather, news, games.... All rolled into one neat little package.
post #920 of 1285 Old 08-21-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:

It's nice though. Movies, TV series, TV, music, pictures, family videos, weather, news, games.... All rolled into one neat little package.

Sound like XMBC to me. I started to appreciate its interface now. May consider using it for other people. But there're still some stumbling blocks of XMBC. It still can't do frame step, and still can't play the next file in the directory (I don't like playlist, I always want to play the physical file under the physical directory)

Was always using MPC, because it is the quickest way to use windows explorer and double click it, together with many other nice features.
post #921 of 1285 Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sound like XMBC to me. I started to appreciate its interface now. May consider using it for other people. But there're still some stumbling blocks of XMBC. It still can't do frame step, and still can't play the next file in the directory (I don't like playlist, I always want to play the physical file under the physical directory)

Was always using MPC, because it is the quickest way to use windows explorer and double click it, together with many other nice features.
I've tried them all but I keep going back to mediaportal with mptvseries and moving pictures plugins for it. It's really simple to setup too.
post #922 of 1285 Old 09-03-2013, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am struggling to get my 650 to control the volume in all my activities through a samsung sound bar. The volume is controlled fine while in activity- Watch Direct TV through the sound bar. However, another activity Watch DVD, for example I can't seem to get the 650 to control the volume through the sound bar. I have a harmony one in another room and regardless of activity the One controls all volume through my Pioneer Receiver. I went back and tried to duplicate that set up in the room with the 650 but can't get it to work. Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Thank you,
post #923 of 1285 Old 09-03-2013, 09:39 AM

^^
Using myharmony.com, the setup wizard for each activity asks you which device controls the volume. Make sure you selected your soundbar in the watch DVD activity & select it to control the volume. This works as advertised on my 650. If you have your DVD/BD player directly into the TV & didn't select the soundbar as a device, it won't show up as an option in the control volume window.

Allen
post #924 of 1285 Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

^^
Using myharmony.com, the setup wizard for each activity asks you which device controls the volume. Make sure you selected your soundbar in the watch DVD activity & select it to control the volume. This works as advertised on my 650. If you have your DVD/BD player directly into the TV & didn't select the soundbar as a device, it won't show up as an option in the control volume window.

Thank you! I was using the older version Harmony software and using myharmony.com allowed me to add volume to the activity. One new issue popped up…. it seems when I enter my various activities the Samsung Sound Bar cycles through the source menu. I have it set to AUX on the sound bar in all my activities…. but it never just goes to 'aux'. I am sure it is something in the sound bar device settings. Any ideas?

Thanks again!!!
post #925 of 1285 Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 AM

Hello, i have the following problem with the Harmony 600:

The input on my Yamaha reciever(DSPA595A) switches ok, for instance to TV/DBS when watching tv.
But after that the inpute mode also switches one step further. I wanted it to stay on "auto mode" so it can detect the input signal itself.
Now it switches for ex to DTS and therefore i got no sound when watching TV.
When i use the help function till i get to " is your Yamaha switched to TV/DBS, and the after pushing 3 times no it will go to "auto".

Any ideas?

Thanks,

André,
post #926 of 1285 Old 09-25-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 15
I just came from the myharmony.com site to make changes to my 650.

The website is not working properly. I cannot delete any entries from the on-screen display.

I contacted CS once and they changed something on the website that allowed me to delete from one device on screen page, but now another device won't delete.

I called them again and now they want me to pay for premium support.

I explained that my 650 is working ok, it's the website that isn't, so why should I pay to have something fixed on their website. They insist I pay.

They sais they only provide free online support for 90 days.

Does anyone have any idea how to restore the ability to delete from the screens?

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #927 of 1285 Old 09-25-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Use the software instead of the website. Problem is you may have to reprogram it from start but once you do you will never need support again.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #928 of 1285 Old 09-25-2013, 03:09 PM

Liked: 15
Thanks much Bond 007.

Mitsubishi WD73-742, Oppo BDP-103, Gallo 3.1/ Reference AV center/ Adiva-ti surrounds, Emotiva UMC-200/ XPA-5/ XPA-3, Toshiba HD-A3. Roku XS

"All rooms, speakers and ears are different, trust your own ears."

post #929 of 1285 Old 09-28-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I just downgraded my remote from an 880 to a 650. The 880 was getting to the point where frequently used buttons were getting really hard to push and the button caps were popping off on a semi=regular basis.

I looked over the current Harmony line-up and wasn't impressed, especially for the price. I had the 880 set up to control my system perfectly, and I didn't want to lose that control by going with another remote brand.

I use the PC based software and the change of remotes went off without a hitch. Made some minor adjustments and am now just getting used to the button placement on the 650.

Here are my initial impressions of the 650:

Positives:
Reasonable cost
No poor charger design
Reuse my setup programming
Button feel is more traditional. More continual resistance than a "click" type operation
Motion activated backlight
Good feel in the hand

Negatives:

Can't easily reorder activities.
Battery cover fits loosely, causing a rattle.
Long term reliability? This is my 3rd Harmony and they all seem to start to die after a couple of years of daily use.
Activity hard buttons are not back-lit. This is the first thing most people will use after picking up the remote and is virtually the only button area not back-lit.
Activity hard buttons are pre labeled. Other than "Watch TV" none of the other labels match my activities.

Logitech seems to excel at remote programming and is weak at hardware design and ergonomics. If their hardware matched their software, they'd be a great company.

I did check out the myharmonyremote web site and found that the pc based software was much more user friendly than the web mess.
post #930 of 1285 Old 10-01-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Liking the 650 more as I get used to it.

I programmed a couple of sequences that improved functionality over what I had been using on my 880.

One sequence activates the DVR control twice on my Dish DVR, getting me to the list of recorded programs. Previously, I had been hitting the DVR button on the LED twice to get there.

Second sequence changes the TV to Game mode. My wife uses this picture mode at night when she uses headphones, which are connected to the sat box. Game mode eliminates the lip sync issues that are present with other modes, unless accommodated by the lip sync function of my receiver.

Using the audio outputs from the sat box eliminates the need to plug and unplug the headphone receiver (wireless) from the AV receiver every time she wants to use them.

I cut a small piece soft packing foam to sit on top of the batteries. This eliminated the annoying rattle that the battery cover created whenever the remote was moved.

Overall, very happy with the 650. Just wish the activities could be arranged the way I want them, without having to program them again from scratch. I'm starting to get used to using the activity selection buttons at the top of the remote, so this may become less of an issue over time.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page