Official Logitech Harmony 650/600 remote thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #991 of 1287 Old 11-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Each time I dig my Harmony 650 out of the junk pile and try to re-use it I'm reminded why I hate it. I'm using it with my Samsung TV and XBMC setup (so I mimic a Microsoft Media Extender).
First, it's too damn laggy. Yes I set the delays to zero but still very slow.
Second, it struggles with the XBMC power button. I had to 'learn' it and it worked fine for a day or two but then seems to stop working when I power on so I have to go into the device and press it again a couple times before it registers.

I find URC remotes work much better but unfortunately they lack the sleek appearance and decent button layout of the Harmony. Ugh!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1287 Old 11-04-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by madspeed View Post

... I assume i could add a remote ir to the media rack and wire to the ptae-4000u pj if needed?
Any 3rd party or Logitech IR repeater should do the trick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #993 of 1287 Old 11-08-2013, 05:31 PM

Liked: 10
I've got a projector setup using an Epson 3020. An issue I'm having is getting my Logitech Harmony 650 remote to shut down the projector when I hit all off. The remote turns off everything else, but I have to manually choose the projector to turn it off. The remote turns everything on ok, but won't turn the projector off. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried a few things, like trying to add another Off command for the projector, but I'm not seeing how to do that.

Thanks

post #994 of 1287 Old 11-09-2013, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Driver View Post

I've got a projector setup using an Epson 3020. An issue I'm having is getting my Logitech Harmony 650 remote to shut down the projector when I hit all off. The remote turns off everything else, but I have to manually choose the projector to turn it off. The remote turns everything on ok, but won't turn the projector off. Anyone have any ideas? I've tried a few things, like trying to add another Off command for the projector, but I'm not seeing how to do that.

Thanks

I got it working with my Epson 8350.

I would have to look how I did it (I use Desktop software) but pretty sure it's Off, Pause, Off (again).

post #995 of 1287 Old 11-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by awardb View Post

Well, I looked at that on October 10th, on an initial installation of a 650, and though I don't have it in front of me, there was a command in the activity sequence that couldn't be changed - I don't remember what, but the myharmony software had that command in yellow, highlighted, and it said that this command couldn't be added to or modified. I will check on the next one I do.

Having that issue right now myself. Seems they moved the device power on delay into the remote advanced help on the remote itself (who knows why...). I do wish I could add the power on delay in the macro, but I guess this is what we have now...
post #996 of 1287 Old 11-17-2013, 05:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post

Quote:

Well, I looked at that on October 10th, on an initial installation of a 650, and though I don't have it in front of me, there was a command in the activity sequence that couldn't be changed - I don't remember what, but the myharmony software had that command in yellow, highlighted, and it said that this command couldn't be added to or modified. I will check on the next one I do.

Well, I set up a new 650 a couple of days ago, and I will say that the myharmony.com website has improved. They've added more features and improved some of the things I was complaining about. But one thing still isn't possible using the website to set up a 650, compared to the Harmony 7.70 software. If you have, say, a TV that takes quite a while before it'll accept remote commands at turn-on, you'd want to insert some delays into the start up commands before sending an input selection command to the device. You can't modify that part of the sequence on the website. You can add commands after the activity starts up, but input selection isn't one of them.

You *could* do this in the software, and it's a shame they don't offer this type of control and modification on the website.
post #997 of 1287 Old 11-17-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 44
Quote:

Well, I set up a new 650 a couple of days ago, and I will say that the myharmony.com website has improved. They've added more features and improved some of the things I was complaining about. But one thing still isn't possible using the website to set up a 650, compared to the Harmony 7.70 software. If you have, say, a TV that takes quite a while before it'll accept remote commands at turn-on, you'd want to insert some delays into the start up commands before sending an input selection command to the device. You can't modify that part of the sequence on the website. You can add commands after the activity starts up, but input selection isn't one of them.

You *could* do this in the software, and it's a shame they don't offer this type of control and modification on the website.

The Power Delay setting is specifically designed to handle the situation you describe... with the 650, this delay is set at the remote, even if you use the 7.7 software.  To access it, enter the Advanced Delay mode on the remote by holding the Help button for 5 seconds.  The remote will not send any commands to the device until its power delay period has expired.  There is no need to add delay steps manually in the startup/shutdown command strings for this purpose, even if you were using 7.7.

Commercial AV Design Engineer,

TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.2.0_11

post #998 of 1287 Old 11-17-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

The Power Delay setting is specifically designed to handle the situation you describe... with the 650, this delay is set at the remote, even if you use the 7.7 software.  To access it, enter the Advanced Delay mode on the remote by holding the Help button for 5 seconds.  The remote will not send any commands to the device until its power delay period has expired.  There is no need to add delay steps manually in the startup/shutdown command strings for this purpose, even if you were using 7.7.

Is this on a per-use basis, or can you program the remote that way permanently?

Thanks
post #999 of 1287 Old 11-17-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is this on a per-use basis, or can you program the remote that way permanently?

Thanks

Permanent setting... unique for each device.  For most digital displays it seems to end up in the 10-13 second range.  It has always been available and critical setting for the remotes to work properly.  For remotes other than the 600/650/700 it is set within the 7.7 software under device setup, along with other delay settings such as inter-device and inter-key delays.  For some reason they moved the power delay to remote itself on the newer remotes.  I can only assume it was to remove some of the pain involved in using the software to set something that is typically a trial and error process.   You want it long enough so the the remote doesn't miss any commands while it is booting up, but not any longer than necessary, which typically takes a few iterations of settings to determine. 

Placing commands (especially input commands) into the startup string in the 7.7 software along with manually entered delays can work, but this defeats the remote's input state tracking capabilities... not to mention that you have to program the delays manually in every activity rather than just once per device.  It also means that the delays are unnecessarily included when you switch between activities.  If it's programmed as a standard power delay the remote is smart enough to skip the delay if the device needing it is already on.

post #1000 of 1287 Old 11-18-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

Permanent setting... unique for each device.  For most digital displays it seems to end up in the 10-13 second range.  It has always been available and critical setting for the remotes to work properly.  For remotes other than the 600/650/700 it is set within the 7.7 software under device setup, along with other delay settings such as inter-device and inter-key delays.  For some reason they moved the power delay to remote itself on the newer remotes.  I can only assume it was to remove some of the pain involved in using the software to set something that is typically a trial and error process.   You want it long enough so the the remote doesn't miss any commands while it is booting up, but not any longer than necessary, which typically takes a few iterations of settings to determine. 

Placing commands (especially input commands) into the startup string in the 7.7 software along with manually entered delays can work, but this defeats the remote's input state tracking capabilities... not to mention that you have to program the delays manually in every activity rather than just once per device.  It also means that the delays are unnecessarily included when you switch between activities.  If it's programmed as a standard power delay the remote is smart enough to skip the delay if the device needing it is already on.

Thanks! I'll try that on my next 650 programming. 10-13 seconds is too long, probably, but it's better than the alternative. I'm reading your post and trying to figure out why using the 7.7 software to put in delays between commands in an acitvity would "defeat the remote's input state tracking abilities".... I use that feature all the time in programming, say, a Harmony One (long may it rest in peace, all hail to the King!). Your thoughts?

AwardB
post #1001 of 1287 Old 11-19-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are still programming the normal input setup and just putting additional input commands in the activity startup list then, no, it will not defeat the state tracking.  If you are using input commands in the activity startup list in place of the normal input setup, that WILL defeat the state tracking because the remote does not keep track of input commands issued from the startup list... only from the normal input setup.   You may not notice the difference if you always go from an all-off state to an activity and then back to an all-off state.  However, if you switch between activities the input commands in the activity startup list will be always be sent even if not needed, which can be annoying.  Help button functionality can also be affected.  Use of non-discrete input selection methods can get messier than they already are.

The activity startup and shutdown lists can be VERY useful... I make significant use of them to ensure that my AVR is correctly configured for each activity (HDMI output selection, DSP mode, etc).  However,  optimizing the Power Delay setting is the preferred and, in the long run, simpler way to handle a device's normal "warmup/bootup" time rather than using a klugey workaround. 

post #1002 of 1287 Old 11-19-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
So I've had a 650 for a few years now (pretty well exactly three, looking at my Amazon order...). It does OK, but the buttons are annoying at times, especially the numeric ones, where a press has to be a certain firmness and duration. And it is worse with low batteries, of course.

I was thinking of replacing it with another Harmony, but I have no need for the higher-end models at the higher-end prices.

Does the 700 have similarly flaky numeric buttons? What about the Harmony One, which seems similar in layout/style?

Are the URCs any better for button press reliability?

I have an 880 in the HT room, and it is nicer to use, except the buttons are a bit small and hard to read in the dark. But the numeric buttons seem to be much more responsive.

Hoping to pick up a replacement during BF deals next week...

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #1003 of 1287 Old 11-19-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

The 700 has exactly the same button design, so just as flaky. The One might be a bit better, but it's pretty rare and expensive these days since both the 700 and One were discontinued quite a while ago.

I used to think URC had better button reliability, but the reviews say otherwise. Since they all wear out, I spend as little as I possibly can on remotes.

Another option is to get a mostly touchscreen remote like the Ultimate. Screens don't wear out like buttons. But it still has several buttons that will wear out.

Good luck

post #1004 of 1287 Old 11-19-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

So I've had a 650 for a few years now (pretty well exactly three, looking at my Amazon order...). It does OK, but the buttons are annoying at times, especially the numeric ones, where a press has to be a certain firmness and duration. And it is worse with low batteries, of course.

I was thinking of replacing it with another Harmony, but I have no need for the higher-end models at the higher-end prices.

Does the 700 have similarly flaky numeric buttons? What about the Harmony One, which seems similar in layout/style?

Are the URCs any better for button press reliability?

I have an 880 in the HT room, and it is nicer to use, except the buttons are a bit small and hard to read in the dark. But the numeric buttons seem to be much more responsive.

Hoping to pick up a replacement during BF deals next week...

shinksma

All remotes use essentially the same conductive film technology under the buttons, so it could happen on any remote. As the other poster noted, you'll pay a pretty penny for both the 700 and the One, since they are discontinued. Prices are very high on both units.

AwardB
post #1005 of 1287 Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post

I got it working with my Epson 8350.

I would have to look how I did it (I use Desktop software) but pretty sure it's Off, Pause, Off (again).

I don't see where it will allow me to do another "OFF" command. I've tried that. But unless I'm missing something, I can't seem to add another Off command in the shutdown.

Thanks, though.

post #1006 of 1287 Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

I don't see where it will allow me to do another "OFF" command. I've tried that. But unless I'm missing something, I can't seem to add another Off command in the shutdown.

Thanks, though.

Add the OFF button to the little LCD screen of whatever Activity you are using (maybe WatchTV). Due to bulb wear, turning on/off is a big deal, so press it once, it will say "are you sure" and then press it again.

Since I have plasma and projector on Duplicating Splitter, (and Harmony has no way to really setup 2 display devices) ... I have an Activity called "Use Projector" it also has a screen button called "TV Power" to turn off the TV when we want to use Projector. This is all setup on my 670, but it would be the same on 650.

What's cool is the the IR bounces off the screen/wall and the Projector (behind us in back of room) see it just fine. I bought some wireless-radio IR extenders, but never had to use them (yet).

You can also set projector to power-down after 3-5 minutes of no-signal, but we rarely wait for that.

post #1007 of 1287 Old 11-21-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

The 700 has exactly the same button design, so just as flaky. The One might be a bit better, but it's pretty rare and expensive these days since both the 700 and One were discontinued quite a while ago.

I used to think URC had better button reliability, but the reviews say otherwise. Since they all wear out, I spend as little as I possibly can on remotes.

Another option is to get a mostly touchscreen remote like the Ultimate. Screens don't wear out like buttons. But it still has several buttons that will wear out.

Good luck

Quote:

All remotes use essentially the same conductive film technology under the buttons, so it could happen on any remote. As the other poster noted, you'll pay a pretty penny for both the 700 and the One, since they are discontinued. Prices are very high on both units.

AwardB

Thanks for the responses. It was what I suspected, but I hoped for better.

I used to have a 720 (ex-wife has it now), and it seemed to be more reliable in the button-press department, much like the 880 seems to be better. And I liked the layout of the 720 more than any other remote. Too bad it was such a limited-edition unit...

Is there any value in purchasing a "refurbished" unit (of any particular model)? There are several offered on Amazon, for example - not sure if that might scratch my itch of wanting to replace the 650.

Sigh, why can't Harmony offer trade-in programs, where after two or three years I pay $50 and get a same-model replacement - I'm sure it doesn't cost that much to make a production unit, and they'd develop a really good customer relationship.

shinksma

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my captors.
post #1008 of 1287 Old 11-21-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 853
BB has the 650 for $39.99 on Black Friday.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1009 of 1287 Old 11-21-2013, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

Each time I dig my Harmony 650 out of the junk pile and try to re-use it I'm reminded why I hate it. I'm using it with my Samsung TV and XBMC setup (so I mimic a Microsoft Media Extender).
Second, it struggles with the XBMC power button. I had to 'learn' it and it worked fine for a day or two but then seems to stop working when I power on so I have to go into the device and press it again a couple times before it registers.

I find URC remotes work much better but unfortunately they lack the sleek appearance and decent button layout of the Harmony. Ugh!!

Hi chappy16775,

Try using the Microsoft XMBC device instead of the Microsoft Media Extender. You should have more success with the power buttons. Also be sure to set the device repeats down to 0 for this device to make it a little faster.

Regards,

Sylvain

post #1010 of 1287 Old 11-21-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Thanks, though.

Hi 88Driver,

If you're using the Logitech Remote Software, find your device and click Settings >> Adjust Power Settings >> and click next until you reach the Which Command Will Power Off your Device screen. From here you may change the power off command, or add additional ones if necessary by using the 'My device needs more commands' option.

If you're using MyHarmony, select your device in your account and click Change Device Settings >> Power Settings >> and click Next until you reach the Power On / Off Commands screen. From here you can define how your device powers on and off.

Good luck! smile.gif

Sylvain
88Driver likes this.

post #1011 of 1287 Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinksma View Post

Thanks for the responses. It was what I suspected, but I hoped for better.

I used to have a 720 (ex-wife has it now), and it seemed to be more reliable in the button-press department, much like the 880 seems to be better. And I liked the layout of the 720 more than any other remote. Too bad it was such a limited-edition unit...

Is there any value in purchasing a "refurbished" unit (of any particular model)? There are several offered on Amazon, for example - not sure if that might scratch my itch of wanting to replace the 650.

Sigh, why can't Harmony offer trade-in programs, where after two or three years I pay $50 and get a same-model replacement - I'm sure it doesn't cost that much to make a production unit, and they'd develop a really good customer relationship.

shinksma

I sell and install a lot of Harmony remotes as a custom installer. I would say that, while I've seen Harmony remotes fail before their time from repetitive pushing of certain buttons (usually volume and channel), it's not the norm. So I don't think necessarily that if you bought another 650, the same thing would happen to you. I've only replaced a few "worn-out button" Harmony remotes over the years.

You can find a broad market in refurbished Harmony remotes. I've bought some that look brand new, and others are shipped to me like they just threw the raw pieces in a box. Amazon may also offer a VERY cheap warranty on a new one that would at least guarantee 2 years of use out of it, instead of one.

I know you've experienced this problem, but I would say it's atypical of the remote and brand.
post #1012 of 1287 Old 11-22-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappy16775 View Post

Check out this thread. The 650 should not be a problem with XBMC whether it is Win7, OSX or Linux. What HTPC OS are you using for XBMC?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=77519
post #1013 of 1287 Old 11-22-2013, 05:32 PM

I had to do a bit of playing around with the new settings to get them back to their intended state but now all is well.

AdMfwx
post #1014 of 1287 Old 11-23-2013, 11:07 AM

I just bought a 650 and like it so far.  However, I wish to add a code at the end of "watch movie" which

tells my LG blu-ray to enter it's "home page" rather than go to the "FM radio" by default.  I have seen

everybody that wants to do something like this say use "stand alone software ver.7.7" and I have found

that and downloaded it.

Here's the problem I have, when I start up 7.7 it wants, well DEMANDS a network connection which

if finds then updates (I even tried 7.6, which immediately updated to 7.7).  Fine, I guess, however then

it gets to asking for the remote model or I plug in the 650 and then it tells me that I can't use 7.7 and

MUST go to myharmony.com and use that.  As you all know you can't do much "out of line" stuff on

that web site although from all indications I've read here you can program the "activities" sequences

some what with the stand alone software 7.7.

How is this "stand alone" if it demands a network connection and updates, which puts a roadblock in

the way of using it locally as "stand alone"????

Anybody get this same bull and figure out a way around Logitech's funky force you to use their site?

I'm thinking Logitech has kept the version number to fool us all, but it has been modified to force the

update to run it at all then it forces you if you have the newer models to go to myharmony.com....

Does anybody have an actual copy of 7.7 from a few years ago that DID NOT force the update on

first start up?  If you have that can you make it availible to others?

post #1015 of 1287 Old 11-23-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

You're working off old info. Myharmony let's you add commands now, just like 7.7.

You technically can't use 7.7 on a new 650. But there is a back door through members.harmonyremote.com. However I can think of very few reasons to stay with 7.7 today. Give myharmony another try.

post #1016 of 1287 Old 11-23-2013, 03:52 PM

Indeed you are correct.  I used that link and worked my way through to running v7.7 as others have.

And I looked at the myharmony.com again.  It does do most all, abeit differently that 7.7 does.  I was

able to add a 1sec delay them issue the "home" button/command again to get my HT device to go

to it's home screen rather than the FM radio.

This is one of the problems with forums that have years of built up q&a on them.  One really had to

read and read again to figure out what is the latest findings that us users have come up with.

Now if I could just get that "Simplink" thing to restore using the "HT speakers" rather than the built

in LG tv speakers (which I have turned off) I'd be even happerier.  This only really means that when

I use VOL+/- it would go through the tv rather than directly to the HT ampl. so I would see on the

TV what the volume setting is (as well as hear it, dah).  If it's not set correctly then the TV shows

it's vol. setting which isn't actually doing anything since I have turned off the internal speakers.

But the Simplink once brought up is a couple of down direction then the OK button or one right

arrow to get to the setting (no direct IR command).  I may try to program in this sequence by adding

events that do all of those presses to get it set right...

Thanks for pointing out that the web site can do this too as I did like how much more clean it

is and I went back to it after giving it another look.

post #1017 of 1287 Old 11-26-2013, 01:09 PM

Can anybody tell me if the Harmony 650 will work seamlessly with the Panasonic SC-HTB770, with a Panasonic VT30 plasma, 3D blu ray, and Directv HD DVR? 

post #1018 of 1287 Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbelok View Post

Can anybody tell me if the Harmony 650 will work seamlessly with the Panasonic SC-HTB770, with a Panasonic VT30 plasma, 3D blu ray, and Directv HD DVR? 
Click my Lookup link. Just realize all those will have to be controlled in IR mode, not RF, like you may be doing with DirecTV.

post #1019 of 1287 Old 12-04-2013, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I just got a new Panasonic plasma smart TV and I'm trying to reconfigure my 650. I seem to be having trouble getting the inputs to sequence properly. When I switch activities the input never seems to land on the right one. It usually steps though the inputs and comes up one short like it misses the first input command. I might have a delay issue but not sure if is input delay or inter key delay. Anybody else here using the 650 with Panny smart plasma?
post #1020 of 1287 Old 12-04-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

I just got a new 55ST60 Panasonic plasma smart TV and I'm trying to reconfigure my 650. I seem to be having trouble getting the inputs to sequence properly. When I switch activities the input never seems to land on the right one. It usually steps though the inputs and comes up one short like it misses the first input command. I might have a delay issue but not sure if is input delay or inter key delay. Anybody else here using the 650 with Panny smart plasma?
Ahh! I figured it out by trial and error. I'll answer my own post in case anyone else runs into this.
Option 1. In the Harmony device menu for the TV pick "input adjust" and select the third method for Samsung TVs. Otherwise the first command opens the input menu and doesn't count leaving you one command short in the sequence. Pick "input" for the rest of the setup questions. This is a cumbersome setup in that the TV steps through each input meaning you need to point the remote at the TV for 15-20 seconds.
Option 2. On the TV device menu select Troubleshoot. You should see a message that there are updates available for this equipment. Unless you already have five devices configured this download will add a TV2 device. (If you already have five devices I guess you will need to first delete the original TV device.) In the TV device menu pick "input adjust" and select method 1 for discreet commands. Although the original TV remote does not operate this way the download for Panasonic TVs contains the discreet commands needed to go directly to the selected input. These discreet commands show up in the TV list of commands as "inputHDMI1", "inputHDMI2" etc.
Both options shown above are using the Harmony 7.7 software app loaded on your PC. If you use the Harmony web site to set up and configure your remote you'll need to figure it out for yourself but the info above should help.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page