AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post

It won't let me insert any command between the devices power on commands
Sorry. I use the software not the website.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #1083 of 1262 Old 12-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post

I'd be alright w/ my power on order being out of order if I could figure out how to inject a command delay into the power on sequence ONLY.

Not sure what you need to do, but is it something you could finesse with the power on delays set in the remote?
post #1084 of 1262 Old 12-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 27

I honestly can't remember what I was trying to do, but I wound up removing a device out of the activities since the settings didn't change and it was a work around to my issue.  I'm sure I'll figure out the problem again the next time I change hardware, lol

post #1085 of 1262 Old 12-30-2013, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

Depends, my guess is that you've got a delays/repeats problem. I have several sequences that do the type of thing you're trying to do both for my TV and my Dish DVR, that is walk through the menus to select a function, etc.

The reason I'd look at delays is that I recently moved my programming from the old 7.7 software to the MyHarmony.com site. I found that several sequences and other functions ceased to work correctly even though I'd set the delays and repeats to exactly match what was in the 7.7 software setup. It seems to me that the two versions don't really handle the delays exactly the same way even though that doesn't seem to make much sense.

I've messed around with the delays and repeats in MyHarmony and have made this better, but not solidly correct yet. You just have to keep trying different settings until you get to where they work correctly. Trial and error...

Would you be willing to take a picture or screen shot of one of you activities and post it here or anyone else for that matter that uses different inputs for different activities in which the TV input (source) needs to be change? I am starting to learn how to enter in commands and it would be great to know what has worked for different systems.
post #1086 of 1262 Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 AM

For those that are having to change inputs on the TV for different activities, is the Harmony smart enough to remember where the TV source input was when it was last shut down to know what it has to do when I come back the next day for whatever activie was selected?

For example, in my setup I use TV input "TV" to watch TV and use TV input "HDMI 1" to watch a movie.
My TV input sources in the order listed are:

TV
HDMI 1
HDMI 2
HDMI 3
Component
PC

For example, if I power down all with the TV input to "TV" and then return the next day and "Watch a Movie". The Watch a Movie activity has programmed commands to move from source input "TV" to HDMI 1. My understanding is that the remote commands cannot send a signal to go directly to HDMI 1, but rather uses commands to select the "Source" option and then scroll down to the right input and then accept. So the harmony not just jump from HDMI 1 to PC for my example, without sending commands to scroll down in the following order: HDMI - HDMI 2 - HDMI 3 - Component - PC. Now if I did a power down during a Watch a Movie activity where the TV was last on HDMI 1 when powered down, it keeps the same input when the TV is powered back on again. So now when I use the Harmony report to do a Watch a Movie activity, the starting input source is no longer starting from "TV" but from HDMI 1 so I would think the program sequences would move the input source off of HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 even though it is already correctly on HDMI 1 from the previous day.

I am trying to determine if it pays to try to get the TV remote inputs sources programmed into the remote correctly, as it would seem that it would only work correctly if the System Off was always done with the TV on the same source each time so every new day, it is always starting from the same source so the subsequent programming commmand would always start out with the same starting TV input.

Anyone able to deal with this correctly?
post #1087 of 1262 Old 12-30-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 319
post #1088 of 1262 Old 12-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter71 View Post

Would you be willing to take a picture or screen shot of one of you activities and post it here or anyone else for that matter that uses different inputs for different activities in which the TV input (source) needs to be change? I am starting to learn how to enter in commands and it would be great to know what has worked for different systems.

Yes I would, but I don't have any that actually do what you're asking for. All my inputs go through my Denon so I only use HDMI1 for the TV. As it turns out though, if you have a different activity that uses a different input, the wizard ought to guide you through setting it up. If it doesn't I'd say something is wrong with the Logitech database for your TV.

For my TV (Sony 52XBR4) the database has separate commands for each of the possible inputs so even if I had to change the input in the middle of an activity for some reason I could just send the input command and not have to do a "menu walk" which can be problematic.

If the database doesn't have specific input commands but your remote does, I'd really suggest learning the input commands into your setup.
post #1089 of 1262 Old 12-30-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

What model TV?

Emerson LF501EM4F and at least the remote that came with it, it does not have specific input buttons in order to go directly to a specific input without scrolling up and down the list.
post #1090 of 1262 Old 12-30-2013, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Emerson LF501EM4F and at least the remote that came with it, it does not have specific input buttons in order to go directly to a specific input without scrolling up and down the list.

Yeah, I pulled up the database for this and it looks like you may be stuck with doing a menu walk to change inputs. When you first set up an activity what does the MyHarmony site ask you about inputs?
post #1091 of 1262 Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 AM

It asks me which input I use to Watch TV (TV) and what input I use to watch DVD (HDMI 1).

At times, the harmony appears to try and scroll down a couple of inputs, but it never scrolls down all the way to the correct one and not the same number each time.

I assume I could program some more commands to scroll to force this, but it would only work assuming it is always starting on the same TV input in my opinion. I am not sure Harmony would remember which input the TV was one when all the system was turned off as when the activity was started the next day and followed the pre-program commands. Harmony would need to remember which input the TV was last one when turned off, and they know not to execute some number of the scroll commands to make this work assuming the TV is turned off with the input set to different inputs each time.

BTW, where did you look up the Emerson database to figure out this?
post #1092 of 1262 Old 12-30-2013, 08:19 PM

Liked: 10

Hello all

I received a Harmony 650 for Christmas. The backlight seems to stay on and drain the batteries. Is there a way to change the setting for the backlight on the myharmony website? I know on the older remotes you could change this in the software, but I can't find it in the myharmony site!

Please help! Thanks!

post #1093 of 1262 Old 12-31-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverguy789 View Post

Hello all

I received a Harmony 650 for Christmas. The backlight seems to stay on and drain the batteries. Is there a way to change the setting for the backlight on the myharmony website? I know on the older remotes you could change this in the software, but I can't find it in the myharmony site!

Please help! Thanks!
Yes you can adjust the time interval for the backlight in the settings. I use the software app though so not sure where to find it on the web site. I set mine for 5 seconds and it make the batteries last a whole lot longer. I think the default is 15 or 20 seconds.
post #1094 of 1262 Old 12-31-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It asks me which input I use to Watch TV (TV) and what input I use to watch DVD (HDMI 1).

At times, the harmony appears to try and scroll down a couple of inputs, but it never scrolls down all the way to the correct one and not the same number each time.

I assume I could program some more commands to scroll to force this, but it would only work assuming it is always starting on the same TV input in my opinion. I am not sure Harmony would remember which input the TV was one when all the system was turned off as when the activity was started the next day and followed the pre-program commands. Harmony would need to remember which input the TV was last one when turned off, and they know not to execute some number of the scroll commands to make this work assuming the TV is turned off with the input set to different inputs each time.

I had a similar problem with my new Panasonic TV. My TV requires an extra input command just to bring up the menu therefore, it was always coming up one input command short. In the activities setup I picked Method 3 for Samsung TVs and it worked. But then I learned that the Harmony database had downloaded discreet input commands for my TV that I wasn't aware even existed. I then reprogrammed the remote using Method 1 and picked the discreet commands offered (inputHDMI1, InputHDMI2 etc.)
post #1095 of 1262 Old 12-31-2013, 07:28 AM

Hey all,

I just picked up a Harmony 650 for $39 the other day at BestBuy - so that was pretty cool.

What's not so cool is that (aside from being in an 'activity') there is no volume punch-through, which boggles my mind. Even the cheap URs have that. I suppose I could "learn" the receiver volume to every devices volume buttons....

I also find it frustrating that once you initiate an activity, then have to drill-down to a specific device, there's no easy way of going back to that activity without shutting half of your components off, which is a pain....

Later,

Matt!
post #1096 of 1262 Old 12-31-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Riverguy, there is no way to change the backlight in myharmony.

Digitaldude, Emerson has no discretes.

KillerQ, VPT happens in activities, not devices.

Neo, there is no spoon.
post #1097 of 1262 Old 12-31-2013, 07:48 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerQ View Post

I also find it frustrating that once you initiate an activity, then have to drill-down to a specific device, there's no easy way of going back to that activity without shutting half of your components off, which is a pain....

Later,

Matt!

If you are in an activity then drill down to a device (2 button pushes, center under screen and device select) you can get back to the original activity using the center button under the screen. From within a device press that button once to get back to the device menu then again to get back to the activity.

Any time I've gotten out of sync, devices on but can't get to the activity, I just hold my hand over the IR transmitter and press the activity button. Devices don't see the commands and my 650 is back in sync.

Allen
post #1098 of 1262 Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apaulct View Post

If you are in an activity then drill down to a device (2 button pushes, center under screen and device select) you can get back to the original activity using the center button under the screen. From within a device press that button once to get back to the device menu then again to get back to the activity.

Any time I've gotten out of sync, devices on but can't get to the activity, I just hold my hand over the IR transmitter and press the activity button. Devices don't see the commands and my 650 is back in sync.

Thanks! I really have to cover it and aim away....one of my devices is SUPER sensitive, lol.

Thanks again,

Matt!
post #1099 of 1262 Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitude View Post

Yes you can adjust the time interval for the backlight in the settings. I use the software app though so not sure where to find it on the web site. I set mine for 5 seconds and it make the batteries last a whole lot longer. I think the default is 15 or 20 seconds.

Problem is you can't use the software on the 650 now which is incredibly stupid. I have a 520 as well that I use the software for and the software blows the website out of the water. The website is incredibly lacking.

post #1100 of 1262 Old 12-31-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverguy789 View Post

Problem is you can't use the software on the 650 now which is incredibly stupid. I have a 520 as well that I use the software for and the software blows the website out of the water. The website is incredibly lacking.
That used to be true. But aside from the backlight setting, myharmnoy is far better than 7.7. You get drag and drop button assignment rather than those stupid arrows, and 25 step sequences versus zero steps in 7.7, among other things. If you insist on 7.7, you can still use it if you create an account on members.harmonyremote.com first.
post #1101 of 1262 Old 01-01-2014, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You had given your model number earlier. I just added it as a device to one of my setups and then used the button assignment screens to look at what commands were available. The only one I found that seemed to fit was "Source". I'm guessing that cycles through your inputs and if you assigned it to an unused button or a screen button, you'd at least have it available to use to manually cycle to the right input when things get messed up. I'd still have a look at the Inter-Key delay setting (in MyHarmony) and try upping it a little to see if that makes the input setting process more stable.
post #1102 of 1262 Old 01-01-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post

You had given your model number earlier. I just added it as a device to one of my setups and then used the button assignment screens to look at what commands were available. The only one I found that seemed to fit was "Source". I'm guessing that cycles through your inputs and if you assigned it to an unused button or a screen button, you'd at least have it available to use to manually cycle to the right input when things get messed up. I'd still have a look at the Inter-Key delay setting (in MyHarmony) and try upping it a little to see if that makes the input setting process more stable.

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

Can you explain how adding customizations to the existing activities actually work. As an example I just through in a delay on my activity, but I can not do anything with it in terms of sequence besides placing it on the bottom row. It would seem that the "off the shelf" activity would run through it passes before it gets to my actiivty. To make use of the delay, it would seem then that I woudl need then to program other commands following it that the off the shelf activity is not doing correctly. Am i missing something in how modified commands can be integrated into the canned programms or am I left with basically programming everything myself?

If I am not clear, it would seem that I would want to move my 5 sec delay right after the third row and before the yellow star row where the TV is to select input HDMI 1. Since I can not seem to move my delay ahead of the "default" yellow star rows, it obviously does not impact those. Or, am i left to adding my delay and then adding more commands that need to follow to continue to change teh input source?

UPDATED: Since I don't seem to be able to delete my own question, I think I found my answer. I need to go into the device settings to change different things for delays, etc, not the activity, correct?
post #1103 of 1262 Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

UPDATED: Since I don't seem to be able to delete my own question, I think I found my answer. I need to go into the device settings to change different things for delays, etc, not the activity, correct?
There are four delays. Power on Delay and Inter-Device delay are set in the remote itself . Hold the Help button for 5 or more seconds and then follow the screen prompts.

The Inter-Key Delay and Input Delay are set in the Device area of MyHarmony.you can also set the command repeats there.

If I understand how your TV works, I'd try starting with the input delay settings to see if that improves the initial input setup. You could also try working with the command repeat, but this affects all commands so I'd make it the second choice.
post #1104 of 1262 Old 01-03-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can anyone explain why the direction buttons of my intec PS3 adapter (model G-7721, similar I think to the Nyko Blu Wave) do not work with the harmony 650 remote. This same device worked fine with my Logitech 670 and 520, but not the 650. All functions of the intec except the direction buttons work. I even programmed them as learned commands from the original intec remote but to no avail. Someone suggested programming RAW mode but I see no option for this in the MyHarmony on-line interface.
Any help would be appreciated,
Atek99
post #1105 of 1262 Old 01-04-2014, 01:00 PM

Hi All,

Have 650 been using for while now and overall very happy with it. Recently upgraded tv to Samsung Smart 6350 and Yamaha HTIB. Remote works great with all activities except those using cable box. I have a SA Explorer 8300hd and the box will turn on or off with selected activity but then click right back on or off within a second. Really annoying. Any ideas?
post #1106 of 1262 Old 01-04-2014, 05:56 PM

Check the commands to see if your remote is using a power toggle or power on/power off commands for the STB
post #1107 of 1262 Old 01-05-2014, 09:03 AM

So went in to Harmony setup for the SA Explorer 8300 HD and under power settings the only option is power toggle on off. Nothing about power on off.
post #1108 of 1262 Old 01-05-2014, 10:48 AM

possibly increase the delay between commands? Also, make sure you're not sending any other commands to the STB after the power command is sent. I have a couple pieces that would turn on if any command was sent to them.

You could also look at what the very next command being issued after the power command. Map that particular command and try it out manually to see if the code for some other piece happens to be the same code used for the STB

EDIT>>> Also forgot to mention to check the hdmi section on your setup to make sure it's not configured to pass on power commands to connected devices.
post #1109 of 1262 Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 AM

Thanks wdeydwondrer,. Where exactly do you see these commands for what and when is being sent and also the hdmi setup?
post #1110 of 1262 Old 01-10-2014, 12:08 PM

Hello - I posted part of this as a new thread but the main thing that came up was assisting a friend with his 700 - last week
worked fine on harmony remote software but now I cannot access since somehow he re registered it in My harmony

I have been using harmony remotes for sometime and recently helped a few friends set up theirs - t
- is there a way to tweek /view settings in advance without having remote plugged in at the same time to My harmony
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page