Thanks you guys very much for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1249 Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wonder if someone can help me in relation to buying the 650 from Amazon.

They list it twice:

The 'Logitech Harmony 650 Universal Remote - Refresh' model no. 915-000161, which despite it's name is listed as the older item; and
The 'Logitech Harmony 650 Remote' model no. 915-000229.

The old one is cheaper (currently £47 vs £62). No other sites seem to specify which one they have.

Is there a real difference between the two? Not sure which I should buy.

Any help appreciated. Thank you.

Peter.
post #1233 of 1249 Old 06-12-2014, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by herts101 View Post
Wonder if someone can help me in relation to buying the 650 from Amazon.<br><br>
They list it twice:<br><br>
The 'Logitech Harmony 650 Universal Remote - Refresh' model no. 915-000161, which despite it's name is listed as the older item; and<br>
The 'Logitech Harmony 650 Remote' model no. 915-000229.<br><br>
The old one is cheaper (currently £47 vs £62). No other sites seem to specify which one they have.<br><br>
Is there a real difference between the two? Not sure which I should buy.<br><br>
Any help appreciated. Thank you.<br><br>
Peter.
Hi herts101,

There is no difference between the 'regular' 650 and the refresh. Both will get the latest firmware during setup and will allow you to control 8 devices.

As for the difference in price, the £62 model states it is 'dispatched and sold by Amazon' whereas the £47 model is sold by a seller called oko's.

Regards,

Sylvain
post #1234 of 1249 Old 06-18-2014, 11:48 AM

Liked: 0
Navigation problem

Hi everyone, hoping someone has come across this before
I've just set up my first 650 and all went well except for one thing... I have set up sequences to jump to particular apps through a roku 1 and a sony bd player. The remote goes through the necessary steps but when I arrive at say, iPlayer, the navigation buttons no longer work.
All I can think of is that once the app in question has been started up, the control has been given back to the TV while it should be with the streaming device. Any ideas how I can change this?
Thanks in advance!
post #1235 of 1249 Old 06-18-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Each activity has certain groups of keys associated with different devices. In your case, you should make activities for each case and choose the appropriate playback device accordingly. For example, make a Roku or iPlayer activity that uses the Roku as the playback device. Make a different activity for your Sony apps with the Sony as the playback device. Then rebuild your sequences in each new activity.

If this is not the problem, and it's really an HDMI control issue (CEC), then just turn that off in all your devices. CEC isn't going to work well with Harmony anyway.
post #1236 of 1249 Old 06-18-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Each activity has certain groups of keys associated with different devices. In your case, you should make activities for each case and choose the appropriate playback device accordingly. For example, make a Roku or iPlayer activity that uses the Roku as the playback device. Make a different activity for your Sony apps with the Sony as the playback device. Then rebuild your sequences in each new activity.

If this is not the problem, and it's really an HDMI control issue (CEC), then just turn that off in all your devices. CEC isn't going to work well with Harmony anyway.
Thanks, I'll give that a bash when I get home!
post #1237 of 1249 Old 06-18-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo13 View Post
Thanks, I'll give that a bash when I get home!
The problems still remains I'm afraid.
Just to clarify using one example - I have an activity called iPlayer that switches on the Sony TV to the correct input, then turns on the Roku, then selects the right input on the av switcher, then performs a couple of navigation moves on the Roku to start the iPlayer app.

This all works fine, but then when I try to play anything in the iPlayer app, the remote does not have any effect on it. However, any buttons I press now control the Sony TV, changing channels etc.

What I find I then have to do, is manually change device on the remote to Roku, and the control comes back.
Hopefully that's a bit clearer!
Thanks
post #1238 of 1249 Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

So the physical buttons in the activity never worked. In that case, customize the buttons in your activity and assign each to the Roku. The activity setup should have taken care of that automatically when you chose the Roku as your playback device, but apparently the wrong choice was made or it failed for some reason.
post #1239 of 1249 Old 06-19-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
So the physical buttons in the activity never worked. In that case, customize the buttons in your activity and assign each to the Roku. The activity setup should have taken care of that automatically when you chose the Roku as your playback device, but apparently the wrong choice was made or it failed for some reason.
Cheers mate, I'll give that a bash!
post #1240 of 1249 Old 06-20-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodo13 View Post
The problems still remains I'm afraid.
Just to clarify using one example - I have an activity called iPlayer that switches on the Sony TV to the correct input, then turns on the Roku, then selects the right input on the av switcher, then performs a couple of navigation moves on the Roku to start the iPlayer app.

This all works fine, but then when I try to play anything in the iPlayer app, the remote does not have any effect on it. However, any buttons I press now control the Sony TV, changing channels etc.
As mdavej said, it does seem like your Roku should be your primary control device, but it's somehow the TV instead. Would you mind sending me your MyHarmony email ID via PM for me to see what's happening in your account please? Your password is not needed.
post #1241 of 1249 Old 06-22-2014, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
imported settings from 880 with flaky buttons

My wife was getting tired of buttons not working reliably on the Harmony 880 we have been using for the last 6+ years. Wanted the features I had grown accustomed to but didn't really want to shell out $250+- for a new remote with similar capabilities, I was toying with the idea of a 650 but had reservations because of the 5 device limit. Was pleased to discover recent posts and web ads indicating this as an 8-device remote. Bought one this weekend and imported the settings from my 880. Most of the commands were converted correctly. The only real problem I had is that for some reason the code for InputAntenna on my Samsung plasma was really InputAB that switches between the 2 RF inputs and InputAB was not in the list of commands. Had to teach the remote InputAntenna and then add the InputAB command from the 880. I did appreciate the MyHarmony app allowing sequences longer than 5 steps as it takes more than that number of keystrokes on the Scientific Atlanta 8300 STB to program such things as turning captions on and off.
post #1242 of 1249 Old 07-14-2014, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Programming offline

Is it possible to program the 650 with out depending on the logitech site. Call me old but I don't like having to depend on Logitech to program this remote. I have been using computers since the 1980s and have had to retire a lot of good equipment because the manufacture has stopped support.
post #1243 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 AM

Liked: 15
No.
post #1244 of 1249 Old 07-15-2014, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Actually you can. But I find it very complicated, and this is coming from a JP1 guy. Your 650 will wear out long before myharmony goes away, so may as well just stick with that. If you want a remote like Harmony that's affordable and can be programmed offline, grab an Xsight Touch from ebay. They're fantastic and will run circles around a 650. Remote Master is working very well with Xsight now. So the programming website could shut down tomorrow and you could still program your remote offline indefinitely.

http://www.phildev.net/concordance/
post #1245 of 1249 Old 07-17-2014, 03:11 AM

There's an option to map buttons from other devices to the LCD screen, but when one does this, the control of the remote does not change to that particular device. So for example, as part of the 'Watch Bluray' activity, I have the volume mapped to the receiver and the rest of the buttons (play/pause/stop/forward/reverse) are automatically mapped to the bluray player. But now if I add a custom action called 'Options' (which is actually the options screen of the AVR) to the remote's LCD screen, the control would not change to AVR if I press the 'Option' entry on the LCD. I have to manually go to 'Devices' and then select 'AVR' to have the remote control the up/down/left/right arrow buttons on the Option screen which shows up.

Any workaround for this?
post #1246 of 1249 Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneo View Post
There's an option to map buttons from other devices to the LCD screen, but when one does this, the control of the remote does not change to that particular device. So for example, as part of the 'Watch Bluray' activity, I have the volume mapped to the receiver and the rest of the buttons (play/pause/stop/forward/reverse) are automatically mapped to the bluray player. But now if I add a custom action called 'Options' (which is actually the options screen of the AVR) to the remote's LCD screen, the control would not change to AVR if I press the 'Option' entry on the LCD. I have to manually go to 'Devices' and then select 'AVR' to have the remote control the up/down/left/right arrow buttons on the Option screen which shows up.

Any workaround for this?
You could add the arrows to the LCD as well. Realize that you can return to your activity from device mode with a simple double press of the Activities or Devices button.

Or you could make a sequence for all the steps you have to use the arrows to perform, hence no arrow buttons required.

Or you could find a discrete code to perform whatever you're navigating to in options and use that instead.

Lastly, assuming you don't use the number pad when watching blu-ray, just turn it into an arrow pad for your AVR by reassigning the arrow commands to the number keys.
kneo likes this.
post #1247 of 1249 Old 07-25-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I just picked up a 650 the top buttons and the ones on the side of the LCD aren't lit

Should they all be lit? Here's a pic. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARV_4345.jpg (386.2 KB, 12 views)
post #1248 of 1249 Old 07-26-2014, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX1720 View Post
Should they all be lit? Here's a pic. Thanks in advance!
They don't glow on either of mine.
post #1249 of 1249 Old 07-26-2014, 02:05 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelr View Post
They don't glow on either of mine.
Thanks! I guess that's the way it was designed..
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page