Official Logitech Harmony 650/600 remote thread - Page 47 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1381 of 1398 Old 02-22-2015, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoys1 View Post
I posted my issue on the Harmony message board and they confirmed that ARC doesn't work correctly with their remotes. But I've hooked up the three components the way I think they're suppose to be hooked up with cables between HDMI ports (not ARC ports) and turned off HDMI-CEC on the TV, Amp, and DVD player and it STILL doesn't work right. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I just threw in the towel and hooked it all back up the way I had it originally and will just have to live with this CRAP!

That is your choice but I'm pretty sure it's fixable.

In your original post you said you were drawn to ARC, but what you describe is just HDMI-CEC. Pretty sure, ARC is just simplified wiring when you leave the Amp off (use TV speakers temporarily). If you really just like HDMI-CEC, well now that you have a Harmony, there is no need for it. It knows the power-state of everything and is more than capable of controlling everything on it's own.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1398 Old 02-22-2015, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
That is your choice but I'm pretty sure it's fixable.

In your original post you said you were drawn to ARC, but what you describe is just HDMI-CEC. Pretty sure, ARC is just simplified wiring when you leave the Amp off (use TV speakers temporarily). If you really just like HDMI-CEC, well now that you have a Harmony, there is no need for it. It knows the power-state of everything and is more than capable of controlling everything on it's own.

I want to use the Harmony for all three devices. To do that I'll disable ARC and HDMI-CEC. I don't want to use the TV speakers. I want to run all sound (and video) through the amp. I even bought a new optical cable for the sound to run between the TV and Amp and set the amp to "OPT 1." No dice. I think what I'll do is post my connections and settings here and maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong (?)
post #1383 of 1398 Old 02-22-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoys1 View Post
I want to use the Harmony for all three devices. To do that I'll disable ARC and HDMI-CEC. I don't want to use the TV speakers. I want to run all sound (and video) through the amp. I even bought a new optical cable for the sound to run between the TV and Amp and set the amp to "OPT 1." No dice. I think what I'll do is post my connections and settings here and maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong (?)

Sounds like a good plan.

I mainly only use my plasma and projector as "display devices". All sound comes from Onkyo amp. I have a DVR, so I don't use TV's on-board tuner. Just a reminder ... the only time you need an optical cable from TV back to Amp is when you use the TV "to generate something". This is the only thing ARC simplifies wiring on (but it doesn't have to be done this way).

In my case, the exception is Viera-Cast (on-board Apps like Amazon Video). With no ARC ability (or wanting to turn HDMI-CEC), I just ran the Optical cable. I my case, I can also run same VieraCast Apps from my Panny BluRay (and all runs over HDMI like any other Input or Player component). I only mention it as an example of exploring other available options.

If TV-Optical back to Amp isn't working, check the usual things ... Amp Port Assignment, be sure ARC and HDMI-CEC is off, TV set to use "Home Theater Speakers" ... stuff like that. First, get it working with base gear (without Harmony).

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #1384 of 1398 Old 02-22-2015, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Update

I just wanted to update everyone on my issue.

It seems to be resolved.

I ditched the old Logitech software. Since the new MyHarmony software wouldn't work on my mac, I loaded the software on my wife's work PC. I made a new user name and started the remote over like new. I also took a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled the battery spring connector out enough to where there would be a very snug fit for the batteries and then replaced the batteries.

So far, all is good and it's like a breath of fresh air. No more going to turn the volume up or down and nothing happens, then having to hit the devices button to find the AVR and finally turn the volume down or walking in the room to find the remote lcd on for no reason killing the battery.

**Another Update!**

After uninstalling Silverlight on my Mac and reinstalling the latest version of Silverlight. Then uninstalling MyHarmony software and reinstalling MyHarmony software, it now works on my mac as well!

Last edited by johnnymacIII; 02-26-2015 at 10:33 AM.
post #1385 of 1398 Old 03-13-2015, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Control Device Only

Is it possible to setup the 650 remote to only control a device? (without programming an activity)

I don't think it is meant to be used like that but I just want it to replace a dvr remote.

Thanks
post #1386 of 1398 Old 03-13-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimform2k1 View Post
Is it possible to setup the 650 remote to only control a device? (without programming an activity)

I don't think it is meant to be used like that but I just want it to replace a dvr remote.

Thanks
Of course you can. But that would be a huge waste of money considering you can get a replacement universal DVR remote for $3 on ebay or $15-$20 anywhere else.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-CH...g/281568464231

(The remote above has codes for any brand of DVR and the ability to add more and program from a computer like Harmony)

Also, using a Harmony in device mode only, you get no volume punch thru. That means you have to switch to the TV device every time you want to change the volume. You should at least make one activity so you get that.
post #1387 of 1398 Old 03-16-2015, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought Harmony 650 around 10 months ago that completely died earlier this week. I bought the remote from Amazon and they are giving me a full refund which is great. I thought the 650 was great and I used it to control my AV receiver, TV, Xbone, Xbox 360 and Sky box perfectly.

I'm looking to buy another Harmony and would like to know the difference between the one I bought and the other 650 that is on Amazon for slightly more money. Unfortunately as I'm a new user I cant post links to show you.

Also on the the 650's is listed as discontinued?

Would anyone recommend a model other than the 650?
post #1388 of 1398 Old 03-16-2015, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobivs View Post
I bought Harmony 650 around 10 months ago that completely died earlier this week. I bought the remote from Amazon and they are giving me a full refund which is great. I thought the 650 was great and I used it to control my AV receiver, TV, Xbone, Xbox 360 and Sky box perfectly.

I'm looking to buy another Harmony and would like to know the difference between the one I bought and the other 650 that is on Amazon for slightly more money. Unfortunately as I'm a new user I cant post links to show you.

Also on the the 650's is listed as discontinued?

Would anyone recommend a model other than the 650?
No difference, not discontinued. 600 is a 650 with a black and white display, 700 is a 650 with a rechargeable battery. I recommend a refurb version of any of the above.
post #1389 of 1398 Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
No difference, not discontinued. 600 is a 650 with a black and white display, 700 is a 650 with a rechargeable battery. I recommend a refurb version of any of the above.
Thanks for the reply.

I thought the two 650's must be the same but what about the product numbers being different?

Cheaper one is: 915-000161
The other is: 915-000229
(I really wish I could post links haha)

I really loved my 650 and was a little gutted when it suddenly died.
post #1390 of 1398 Old 03-16-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobivs View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I thought the two 650's must be the same but what about the product numbers being different?

Cheaper one is: 915-000161
The other is: 915-000229
(I really wish I could post links haha)

I really loved my 650 and was a little gutted when it suddenly died.
Custom packages for different retailers. Remotes are identical. Get the cheaper one.

Sudden death is rare. 650's normally last for many years.
post #1391 of 1398 Old 03-16-2015, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Custom packages for different retailers. Remotes are identical. Get the cheaper one.

Sudden death is rare. 650's normally last for many years.
Odd how it died, replaced the batteries and it never came back on. Tried numerous new batteries, cleaned the connection points and even plugged it in to my PC via USB and still nothing.

Anyway, I've ordered a new one from Amazon. Thanks for the advice
post #1392 of 1398 Old 03-17-2015, 05:39 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I believe the 650 has a 1 year warranty. If you call Logitech they will know it is still in warranty and will probably send you a new one as they are still listed as current on their website. If they have the 700 they might even give you that. I had one of my Harmony One's fail within the first year and even though it was discontinued by the time it failed they sent me a new Harmony Touch as a replacement. Might be worth a try.
post #1393 of 1398 Old 04-08-2015, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
600 is a 650 with a black and white display,
The only other exception still being the number of controllable devices (5 vs 8)?

I wish the 600 would get the same upgrade...
post #1394 of 1398 Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Logitech 650 and Time Warner Digital Adapter?

I just received a couple of Cisco Digital Adapters from Time Warner that are now required to be compatible with their move to digital content.
Can I add the digital adapter in software to my Logitech 650, to replace the remote that comes with the adapter outfit? I currently control my HDTV, a Denon amp, a DVD player and a Roku3 with my 650.
I asked the TW folks, and they said it could be done, but I'm not exactly sure how to add it.
Thanks for the help.
post #1395 of 1398 Old Today, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Turner View Post
I just received a couple of Cisco Digital Adapters from Time Warner that are now required to be compatible with their move to digital content.
Can I add the digital adapter in software to my Logitech 650, to replace the remote that comes with the adapter outfit? I currently control my HDTV, a Denon amp, a DVD player and a Roku3 with my 650.
I asked the TW folks, and they said it could be done, but I'm not exactly sure how to add it.
Thanks for the help.
Not sure, but TWC will send you a brand new digital box if you want. Then you can just program the remote to the box.
post #1396 of 1398 Old Today, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacIII View Post
Not sure, but TWC will send you a brand new digital box if you want. Then you can just program the remote to the box.
Not sure I understand. What do you mean by "new digital box"? The digital adapters they sent me this week are made to be inserted between the wall incoming jack and the tv. The adapter has an HDMI output that then connects to my TV HDMI.

What I'm asking is: can this digital adapter they just sent me be added to Logitech 650? I don't want to use the remote control that was sent with the TW digital adapters.

Thanks.
post #1397 of 1398 Old Today, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Not sure I understand. What do you mean by "new digital box"? The digital adapters they sent me this week are made to be inserted between the wall incoming jack and the tv. The adapter has an HDMI output that then connects to my TV HDMI.

What I'm asking is: can this digital adapter they just sent me be added to Logitech 650? I don't want to use the remote control that was sent with the TW digital adapters.

Thanks.
Okay. I understand your problem now. Unfortunately the only way to know that would be to look up the make and model using the 650 software.

Have you tried adding the device via MyHarmony software?

If that doesn't work you could add a set top box to make the 650 think it's a set top box instead of the adapter. For instance if your adapter isn't in the database try adding a
Make: Scientific Atlanta
Model: Explorer 4240HDC

See if that works.
post #1398 of 1398 Old Today, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Thanks for the help.

Despite the fancy name of Digital Transport Adapter, these are nothing more than a very basic set top cable box. They lack a guide and cannot tune either SDV or On Demand channels because they lack two-way communications, but otherwise performs the same functions as their fancier cousins.

The Cisco DTA typically used by TWC is the DTA-170HD. I have three of them, all programmed into various Harmony models.

It's in the Harmony 7.7 software database as the DTA170HD under either "Cable Box" or "Digital Set Top Box". In the 7.7 software, it's actually the default/example Cisco Cable Box device that comes up when searching the database.

In the My Harmony software, just enter Cisco as the manufacturer and DTA170HD as the model and it will correctly come back with "Cisco Cable Box DTA 170HD".

If you have something different than the 170HD, if it's not in the database the 170HD codes might still work. What will not work are the codes for "full service" Cisco/SA set top boxes. The DTAs use different IR code sets.

Note that the DTAs typically come with a remote IR receiver that lets you mount the box out of site with only the IR receiver exposed. You can use the remote sensor or not... the DTA itself can receive IR directly as well.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6

Last edited by jcalabria; Today at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page