Official Logitech Harmony 650/600 remote thread - Page 47 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1381 of 1384 Old Today, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoys1 View Post
I posted my issue on the Harmony message board and they confirmed that ARC doesn't work correctly with their remotes. But I've hooked up the three components the way I think they're suppose to be hooked up with cables between HDMI ports (not ARC ports) and turned off HDMI-CEC on the TV, Amp, and DVD player and it STILL doesn't work right. I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I just threw in the towel and hooked it all back up the way I had it originally and will just have to live with this CRAP!

That is your choice but I'm pretty sure it's fixable.

In your original post you said you were drawn to ARC, but what you describe is just HDMI-CEC. Pretty sure, ARC is just simplified wiring when you leave the Amp off (use TV speakers temporarily). If you really just like HDMI-CEC, well now that you have a Harmony, there is no need for it. It knows the power-state of everything and is more than capable of controlling everything on it's own.

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1384 Old Today, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
That is your choice but I'm pretty sure it's fixable.

In your original post you said you were drawn to ARC, but what you describe is just HDMI-CEC. Pretty sure, ARC is just simplified wiring when you leave the Amp off (use TV speakers temporarily). If you really just like HDMI-CEC, well now that you have a Harmony, there is no need for it. It knows the power-state of everything and is more than capable of controlling everything on it's own.

I want to use the Harmony for all three devices. To do that I'll disable ARC and HDMI-CEC. I don't want to use the TV speakers. I want to run all sound (and video) through the amp. I even bought a new optical cable for the sound to run between the TV and Amp and set the amp to "OPT 1." No dice. I think what I'll do is post my connections and settings here and maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong (?)
post #1383 of 1384 Old Today, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBoys1 View Post
I want to use the Harmony for all three devices. To do that I'll disable ARC and HDMI-CEC. I don't want to use the TV speakers. I want to run all sound (and video) through the amp. I even bought a new optical cable for the sound to run between the TV and Amp and set the amp to "OPT 1." No dice. I think what I'll do is post my connections and settings here and maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong (?)

Sounds like a good plan.

I mainly only use my plasma and projector as "display devices". All sound comes from Onkyo amp. I have a DVR, so I don't use TV's on-board tuner. Just a reminder ... the only time you need an optical cable from TV back to Amp is when you use the TV "to generate something". This is the only thing ARC simplifies wiring on (but it doesn't have to be done this way).

In my case, the exception is Viera-Cast (on-board Apps like Amazon Video). With no ARC ability (or wanting to turn HDMI-CEC), I just ran the Optical cable. I my case, I can also run same VieraCast Apps from my Panny BluRay (and all runs over HDMI like any other Input or Player component). I only mention it as an example of exploring other available options.

If TV-Optical back to Amp isn't working, check the usual things ... Amp Port Assignment, be sure ARC and HDMI-CEC is off, TV set to use "Home Theater Speakers" ... stuff like that. First, get it working with base gear (without Harmony).

Living Room Home-Theater:
Epson 8350 1080p Projector (96") / Panasonic TH-46pz850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 7.2 HDMI Audio/Video Amplifier/Receiver (630 watts)
Panasonic DMP-BD60 Blu-Ray Disc Player / Cisco 8742hdc DVR (TimeWarner)
Harmony 670 - Universal Remote / HTPC (XMBC/Win7-64) Media Server PC
Polk Audio Monitor Series II Speakers (Large 6.1 Matched Separates) / PSW505 12-Inch Sub
post #1384 of 1384 Old Today, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Update

I just wanted to update everyone on my issue.

It seems to be resolved.

I ditched the old Logitech software. Since the new MyHarmony software wouldn't work on my mac, I loaded the software on my wife's work PC. I made a new user name and started the remote over like new. I also took a pair of needle nose pliers and pulled the battery spring connector out enough to where there would be a very snug fit for the batteries and then replaced the batteries.

So far, all is good and it's like a breath of fresh air. No more going to turn the volume up or down and nothing happens, then having to hit the devices button to find the AVR and finally turn the volume down or walking in the room to find the remote lcd on for no reason killing the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area