Official Logitech Harmony 650/600 remote thread - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1711 of 1790 Old 02-13-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I can control them all with Complete Control running on an iPad.

Do you have a link handy?

What does a one-room starter system run (ball-park, not including iPad).

Living Room Home-Theater (Multi-Use Room):
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI) ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum/TWC)
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,DMA,Vudu) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server / Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center & 60,40 Pairs / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1790 Old 02-13-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Do you have a link handy?

What does a one-room starter system run (ball-park, not including iPad).
Sorry! It's Simple Control.

I subscribe. I pay $29/year for their 15 device package.

https://www.simplecontrol.com/
post #1713 of 1790 Old 02-13-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Sorry! It's Simple Control.

I subscribe. I pay $29/year for their 15 device package.

https://www.simplecontrol.com/

Thanks. Wow, that is cheap. I'll have to read-up on what local hardware you need in each room.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a Harmony Hub (or something like it). I would also like to get into Home Automation and maybe some limited Video Surveillance. I'm leaning heavily toward an "Apple EcoSystem" since we use iPhones, iPads, AppleTV-4, etc. Sure would be nice if it all worked from the same system (or at least just a couple of iOS apps).

Living Room Home-Theater (Multi-Use Room):
Epson 8350 Projector (1080p @ 96") / Panasonic 850u 46" 1080p Plasma TV
Onkyo TX-sr607 AVR (7.2ch ~ HDMI) ~ Cisco 8742hdc DVR (Spectrum/TWC)
AppleTV-4 (iTunes,Plex,DMA,Vudu) ~ Simple Control HA ~ Panasonic BD60 Blu-Ray Player
Harmony 670 Remote / HTPC (Kodi/Win10-64) Media-Server / Synology DS412+ 16tb Raid-5 NAS
Polk Audio Monitor Series-II CS-2 Center & 60,40 Pairs / PSW-505 12-Inch Sub

post #1714 of 1790 Old 02-13-2017, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856 View Post
Thanks. Wow, that is cheap. I'll have to read-up on what local hardware you need in each room.

I've been thinking of upgrading to a Harmony Hub (or something like it). I would also like to get into Home Automation and maybe some limited Video Surveillance. I'm leaning heavily toward an "Apple EcoSystem" since we use iPhones, iPads, AppleTV-4, etc. Sure would be nice if it all worked from the same system (or at least just a couple of iOS apps).
By "Each room" are you thinking of controlling different A/V systems in different rooms? Or are you wanting to control lights, etc. I have 35 Insteon devices in my house and controlling them through Amazon's Alexa is very effective in surprising ways... hands full... don't have to find a switch or pad, etc. I would NOT suggest Insteon, though. It's very difficult if not impossible to properly deal with replacement of failed devices and removal of references to them in the network.

If you're thinking A/V, you hook the IP compatible ones through their Wifi connection or hardwire if Wifi is not available. If the devices only support I/R I got one of these: https://store.simplecontrol.com/acce...r-blaster.html

You can put one of those in each A/V system to control the I/R devices. It's worked very well.
post #1715 of 1790 Old 02-13-2017, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 2257 Post(s)
Liked: 989
While iPad remotes look great and come in handy in a pinch, overall I find them kind of a hassle to use and maintain compared to a hard button remote. You can't just pick it up and change the volume in an instant by feel. You have to keep it charged every few days, swipe to unlock when you pick it up, light up your dark room when it comes on, look away from what you're watching to find the vol buttons, then finally change the volume. When you're done, you have to be careful not to drop it, leave it in a precarious spot, or sit on in, and keep it away from a toddler's nasty fingers. I'll take my really old school hard button universal over that any day of the week. IMO, newer isn't always better.
post #1716 of 1790 Old 02-13-2017, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
While iPad remotes look great and come in handy in a pinch, overall I find them kind of a hassle to use and maintain compared to a hard button remote. You can't just pick it up and change the volume in an instant by feel. You have to keep it charged every few days, swipe to unlock when you pick it up, light up your dark room when it comes on, look away from what you're watching to find the vol buttons, then finally change the volume. When you're done, you have to be careful not to drop it, leave it in a precarious spot, or sit on in, and keep it away from a toddler's nasty fingers. I'll take my really old school hard button universal over that any day of the week. IMO, newer isn't always better.
I agree with most of this. I do miss the hard buttons. But we have no toddlers and there's a table to store it on. It stays charged because I use it with my DJI drones.

But on the other points, I keep it at the lowest brightness and set it to never lock while the remote software is running. It's very dim, but even so the light from the screen IS annoying so I either place it upside-down (not as awkward as it sounds) or throw a napkin over it.

All the things you cite to keep from breaking it I just come by naturally. I never even thought about dropping it or sitting on it.

If I could find a hard-button remote that did what I needed easily and cheaply, I'd get that. My last remote was a URC MX-6000 paired with an MSC-400... not easy or cheap. It broke and I moved to Simple Control.
post #1717 of 1790 Old 02-14-2017, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does everyone's 650 battery cover become loose and start rattling this soon? Owned less than 6 months, opened 2 or 3 times, never dropped or handled roughly.
post #1718 of 1790 Old 02-14-2017, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 727 Post(s)
Liked: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintE View Post
Does everyone's 650 battery cover become loose and start rattling this soon? Owned less than 6 months, opened 2 or 3 times, never dropped or handled roughly.
Read back -- it's a "feature" from day one. Mine has fallen a couple of time, but the cover never came off.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #1719 of 1790 Old 02-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So glad I joined this forum and found this thread because its exactky the one I need lol.

I just bought a new (that is, new to me, as it's a used older model) a/v receiver, a Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K, off ebay which didn't come with the remote. I didn't think that would be a problem because I already have a universal remote that worked with my old Pioneer receiver. What I didn't realize is that I can't do the speaker set up from the receiver itself like I could with my old 517, and the Sony uni remote I have now doesn't seem to be able to do the job I need it to do. So now I'm in the market for a new remote and I've been looking at the Harmony 650. Is this remote able to take up the setup duties without needing the original remote to teach it how, as other uni remotes do?
post #1720 of 1790 Old 02-19-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In general, yes. You don't need most remotes for the 650 to be setup. Go to this page to check your specific equipment:
https://support.myharmony.com/en-us/compatibility

You should be aware, though, that even the Harmony remotes may have some commands that depend on direct input from the original remotes to "learn" specific items. For the most part, standard functions are pre-set. It's possible your "speaker set up" is one of those. Perhaps someone with that Pioneer can say.

The Yamaha configuration (including speakers) is mostly done via OnScreen display which is invoked by a very standard Yamaha remote button. If that is true for the Pioneer, you may get lucky.

Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #1721 of 1790 Old 02-19-2017, 06:28 PM

According to the manual, setup does happen onscreen via the remote. I already said eff it and bought the remote, so I guess I'll find out on Wednesday lol.
richlife likes this.
post #1722 of 1790 Old 02-24-2017, 11:54 AM

To follow up, it does indeed control everything, including setup. So glad I bought this remote, everything is so much simpler now ☺. Although weirdly the 0 button doesn't work, at least when trying to change the channel on the cable box, and teaching it the command didn't take. Did anyone else have this problem?
post #1723 of 1790 Old 02-25-2017, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelsa73 View Post
To follow up, it does indeed control everything, including setup. So glad I bought this remote, everything is so much simpler now ☺. Although weirdly the 0 button doesn't work, at least when trying to change the channel on the cable box, and teaching it the command didn't take. Did anyone else have this problem?
No issues with "0". Contact Harmony immediately -- they may replace it. Any info you have stored can be copied to the new remote -- no loss of programming time.

Glad to hear that fundamentally, this worked out for you. I have found that occasionally things somehow get confused. For example, the remote "forgets" that Watch a Movie button mean just that rather than, say, Listen to Music. Odd but easily fixed by re-doing that button.

One important item, when you have changed anything and want to Sync, the Sync indicator screen may say "Complete" but watching the progress bar you can see that it is still on 99%. Be sure to let it finish to 100% -- clicking the "Finish" button before that can cause issues necessitating a reset (reload and start over). But nothing yet has caused a complete failure of this remote!

post #1724 of 1790 Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
No issues with "0". Contact Harmony immediately -- they may replace it. Any info you have stored can be copied to the new remote -- no loss of programming time.
That's would be a good idea, except I bought it certified refurbished from Amazon.com, so I don't think if they would accept it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
One important item, when you have changed anything and want to Sync, the Sync indicator screen may say "Complete" but watching the progress bar you can see that it is still on 99%. Be sure to let it finish to 100% -- clicking the "Finish" button before that can cause issues necessitating a reset (reload and start over). But nothing yet has caused a complete failure of this remote!
Funny you should mention that, because the Sync always stops at 99% and I hear the usb disconnection chime. It tells me to disconnect, wait a few moments, and try again. And then the cycle repeats. But a few commands have actually taken even after a 99% Sync.
post #1725 of 1790 Old 02-26-2017, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Harmony 650 Volume Buttons while not in an activity

Is there a way to configure the volume buttons on the Harmon 650 to work while NOT in an activity. I.e. Hit the all power off button, then at the home choose activity screen, I would like to be able to control the volume without having to select an activity, wait for it to resolve, then finally be able to adjust volume.

It's a long story as to why I want to do this, so I'll spare you.
post #1726 of 1790 Old 02-26-2017, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultgeek View Post
Is there a way to configure the volume buttons on the Harmon 650 to work while NOT in an activity. I.e. Hit the all power off button, then at the home choose activity screen, I would like to be able to control the volume without having to select an activity, wait for it to resolve, then finally be able to adjust volume.

It's a long story as to why I want to do this, so I'll spare you.
No, because without being in an activity or on a device it doesn't know what volume control you want to adjust. If that is really what you need, create an activity that doesn't power anything on and assign the volume to the device you want. Or just hit the device button, choose your device, adjust the volume and then turn on your activity.
post #1727 of 1790 Old 02-27-2017, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Harmony 650 keeps resetting when FF button is pressed

Hi All
I have a 3 yr old Harmony 650 that recently started acting up. Every once in a while, the remote keeps resetting displaying the Logitech logo. Initially, I thought it was the known problem with the battery door cover and connectors being loose. But no amount of tight packing solved this. I recently figured out that the random reset happens when the fast forward button is used. I am able to reproduce the problem fairly consistently with this button's usage. Sometimes, the problem is acute and especially annoying when watching on the big screen through my projector. The remote resets and exits the current activity. For control to be restored, I have to go to the next room and restart activity as I don't want to switch on and switch off the projector repeatedly. I have tried a number of things:
1, Changing batteries
2. Tightly packing the batteries to negate effects of the loose battery compartment door
3. Resyncing activities using the desktop software numerous times
4. Resyncing after entering safe mode
5. Creating a separate account and loading the devices and activities afresh

The remote has been knocked about a bit by my kids but the problem occurred long after the last known drop. Any help would be appreciated as I have nearly 7 devices including a projector being operated by the Harmony.

Cheers,
Harsha
post #1728 of 1790 Old 02-27-2017, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by shriharsha.p View Post
Hi All
I have a 3 yr old Harmony 650 that recently started acting up. Every once in a while, the remote keeps resetting displaying the Logitech logo. Initially, I thought it was the known problem with the battery door cover and connectors being loose. But no amount of tight packing solved this. I recently figured out that the random reset happens when the fast forward button is used. I am able to reproduce the problem fairly consistently with this button's usage. Sometimes, the problem is acute and especially annoying when watching on the big screen through my projector. The remote resets and exits the current activity. For control to be restored, I have to go to the next room and restart activity as I don't want to switch on and switch off the projector repeatedly. I have tried a number of things:
1, Changing batteries
2. Tightly packing the batteries to negate effects of the loose battery compartment door
3. Resyncing activities using the desktop software numerous times
4. Resyncing after entering safe mode
5. Creating a separate account and loading the devices and activities afresh

The remote has been knocked about a bit by my kids but the problem occurred long after the last known drop. Any help would be appreciated as I have nearly 7 devices including a projector being operated by the Harmony.

Cheers,
Harsha
Your symptoms are typical for battery issues, but I'm not sure exactly what "tightly packing" means. The real culprit typically is the battery contacts. You need to bend outwards both negative battery terminals so they apply more pressure on the battery. This has fixed the random resets 100% of the time on several 650/700s that I have, although it can be temporary if the remote is dropped and the weight/inertia of the batteries causes the contacts to bend back (which is where a little packing might help by immobilizing the battery, but I've never done this myself.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 8.0.0_21
post #1729 of 1790 Old 02-27-2017, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Always wanted to try one of these and I currently have 5 remotes sitting on my couch with a new bluray player coming Wednesday so that'll be remote number 6

Amazon has the 650 for $48 so i said why not

Gonna nice to only 1 remote again
post #1730 of 1790 Old 02-27-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
Your symptoms are typical for battery issues, but I'm not sure exactly what "tightly packing" means. The real culprit typically is the battery contacts. You need to bend outwards both negative battery terminals so they apply more pressure on the battery. This has fixed the random resets 100% of the time on several 650/700s that I have, although it can be temporary if the remote is dropped and the weight/inertia of the batteries causes the contacts to bend back (which is where a little packing might help by immobilizing the battery, but I've never done this myself.

Thanks for your reply. Research did suggest that this was the most common problem and I did bend the battery connectors and wedged a folded paper piece to hold the batteries in place. However, it still does not explain why the remote invariably resets when the fast forward button is pressed. I am able to consistently replicate the problem most times when this button is used.

Thanks
Harsha
post #1731 of 1790 Old 02-27-2017, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by shriharsha.p View Post
Thanks for your reply. Research did suggest that this was the most common problem and I did bend the battery connectors and wedged a folded paper piece to hold the batteries in place. However, it still does not explain why the remote invariably resets when the fast forward button is pressed. I am able to consistently replicate the problem most times when this button is used.

Thanks
Harsha
If you had not already bent the contacts, my assumption was that pressing that button flexed the board enough to break battery contact. Knowing that you have done that makes me suspect that there may be a bad trace/solder joint on the motherboard in the vicinity of the FF button. This would be especially likely if it resets regardless of what activity or device is currently active.

Unfortunately, it's out of warranty and any professional repair, while theoretically possible, would probably cost more than just replacing the remote.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 8.0.0_21
post #1732 of 1790 Old 02-28-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
If you had not already bent the contacts, my assumption was that pressing that button flexed the board enough to break battery contact. Knowing that you have done that makes me suspect that there may be a bad trace/solder joint on the motherboard in the vicinity of the FF button. This would be especially likely if it resets regardless of what activity or device is currently active.

Unfortunately, it's out of warranty and any professional repair, while theoretically possible, would probably cost more than just replacing the remote.
Agree with your assessment. I will look for a replacement then.

Cheers
post #1733 of 1790 Old 03-01-2017, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The good news is that my sister recently bought a 650 from Amazon at a $35 sale price. I paid $65 a few months before. Today it's at $49.

post #1734 of 1790 Old 03-10-2017, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks!

I have a question... I'm setting up my Harmony 650 with my Panasonic Plasma TV, Yamaha sound bar, and PS4. I'm having an issue when I "power all" off from the "watch a movie" activity and it's been driving me crazy!

Here it is: When I'm done with the "watch a movie" activity and power all devices off, everything is fine. The problem is if I decide to watch TV later and use the "watch TV' activity it powers everything on for that activity, but is still set to the HDMI input from the "watch a movie" activity and automatically powers up the PS4 because it wakes up when that input is used. So, when I watch tv after watching a movie I have to do a bunch of button pushes and switching between inputs to get the PS4 powered down. I hope you're still following me...

I tried customizing the activity so that it switches inputs before powering down from the "watch a movie" activity and thus, will not be using the PS4 input when powering back up so it won't turn it on, but "input" is not listed as a selectable command when customizing activities for some reason.

I also tried assigning the blue button the input command and using that button in the "customize activity" menu, but that doesn't work as I think it's just trying to press "blue" instead on the actual blue button...

Is anyone still with me (I know this is a bit confusing) that can help please!?!?
post #1735 of 1790 Old 03-10-2017, 10:27 AM

Turn off HDMI-CEC (Bravia Sync) in all your devices, especially the PS4.
post #1736 of 1790 Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Turn off HDMI-CEC (Bravia Sync) in all your devices, especially the PS4.
Thanks for the speedy reply!

I know that's an option, however, if I do that then I won't be able to control any functions on the PS4 because that's the only way I can send commands to it is through TV. The 650 isn't directly compatible with the PS4.

Any other ideas?

Last edited by kenho21; 03-11-2017 at 05:57 AM.
post #1737 of 1790 Old 03-11-2017, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Double check the setup of "watch TV" to make sure the correct HDMI is selected in case when adding extra devices/activities you didn't change something by mistake. I don't make any HDMI changes for the shut down process. Maybe consider adding a delay in between powering devices to make sure it isn't a handshake issue. Does "watch TV" work normally if not started after "watch a movie"?
post #1738 of 1790 Old 03-12-2017, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidacat View Post
Double check the setup of "watch TV" to make sure the correct HDMI is selected in case when adding extra devices/activities you didn't change something by mistake. I don't make any HDMI changes for the shut down process. Maybe consider adding a delay in between powering devices to make sure it isn't a handshake issue. Does "watch TV" work normally if not started after "watch a movie"?
So, as long as I have not watched a movie before powering it on for "watch TV' everything starts up as normal. The issue is: when I start "watch TV" after watching a movie it is still using the HDMI input for "watch a movie" which turns the PS4 on automatically. It does switch inputs back to "TV," but at the moment the TV powers on it is on the PS4 input and that's basically my problem.

I've tried editing the commands for "power off" sequence, but have hit a brick wall...
post #1739 of 1790 Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 AM

That's CEC overriding your remote commands. Not much you can do about that. I don't know PS4 very well, but see if there is a setting such that you can keep CEC control but disable CEC power.
post #1740 of 1790 Old 03-31-2017, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I will be soon receiving the Logitech Harmony Adapter for my PS3. It was purchased used on eBay but will come with the complete package with instructions. I also have saved Logitech's instructions from my research. I also have the original PS3 remote which is currently paired with the PS3. My question is simply after pairing the adapter to the PS3 will I lose the ability to use the remote?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Remote Control Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page