AVS Forum banner

Official Logitech Harmony 650/600 remote thread

456K views 2K replies 482 participants last post by  influx3k 
#1 ·
Announcements:

Logitech's Blogpost announcing the 650 & 600: http://blog.logitech.com/2010/03/02/...remotes-debut/

Logitech's official press release: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/172/6739&cl=us,en

Logitech's webpages:

Logitech's 650 webpage: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re.../6621&cl=us,en

Logitech's webpage comparing the 650 to the 700 (apparently with some inaccuracies): http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/re...&A11=11&A12=12

Logitech's 600 webpage (Britain): http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/remote...s/devices/6620

(The 600 will apparently be offered at CompUSA and Target starting in early May, 2010.)

Product Info:

Amazon's 650 webpage (lots of product information): http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Harmo...9291851&sr=8-1

Reviews:

Engadget's 650 review: http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/17/l...remote-review/

User Manuals:

User manual for the 650, version 1.0: http://images.harmonyremote.com/Easy...UserManual.pdf

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice post. Thanks.

As usual, you have to ignore logitech's comparison page. It says these aren't backlit, but they really are.

So the only differences between the 700 and 650 are that the 650 has one less device and no rechargeable batteries.

I wonder if you can break the 5 device limit by upgrading from another model with more devices. I've seen reports of 5xx users upgrading to a 700 and keeping all 12 of their devices. (Shhh... don't tell logitech).

These will be very tempting when the street prices come down a little.

#3 ·
Has anyone seen these models at their local B&M stores? BB doesn't even have them on their website yet. This endless search for a remote sure is aggravating.

I only have 4 components - LG BD370, Yamaha 665, Sharp Aquos LC52-D62U, and SA 8300HDC cable box. I tried to use the Yamaha remote for all but cannot get it to do the TV or SA box, so I tried the cable box remote and it will not do the Yamaha... apparently there are some discrete codes for the AVR that make "on" a different command than "off."

I am half tempted to try to find a JP1 cable and use the cable remote by programming it but it seems as thought there are different JP1 cable specifications (1, 2, x) and other than an online order, I cannot find them - nothing at Radio Shack or BB. I actually kind of like the cable box (Comcast service) remote.

I see that Amazon has the URC R50 for a relatively low price right now but I don't need that kind of power.

#4 ·
Post a code search at hifi-remote.com and we can help you add any missing commands.

JP1 is a hacker tool. So you'll never find a cable at a store, only hand-made ones online. Recent remotes are JP1.3, but we need the remote model or signature to tell you for sure.

#7 ·
Just got a 650 from Logitech yesterday (same $ as BB but no sales tax). Set it up for Insignia Advanced NS-L55X-10A LCD TV, Insignia NS-R5101HD AVR, Insignia NS-BRDVD3 Bluray player and Cox-supplied Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8240HDC HD STB/DVR. For now I just have Watch TV and Watch DVD as the only activities. Remote works fine with this equipment.

#8 ·
I picked up a Harmony 650 at BB (had a reward zone coupon). This is my first Harmony and I love it. Very easy to use and set-up. I'm controlling a Samsung LN-40B550K, Motorola DVR, 360 and PS3.

They had 700s too but I couldn't tell the difference other than the 700 being more expensive.

#10 ·
I picked up a 650 at bestbuy today and it replaced my POS 880. The charging cradle hardly ever worked, if the remote got bumped the batter would dislodge and reset the remote, and the buttons had to be pressed really hard to work.

Anyways, as expected the harmony 650 behaves just like the other harmonys. I had to update the harmony software to 7.7 to get it to recognize my new remote while trying to transfer settings from the 880.

I had to do a bit of playing around with the new settings to get them back to their intended state but now all is well.

Oh and I currently have 8 devices hooked up to the harmony 650 transferred over from the 880. It tells me in large red letters that I've hit my limit on the device page in the software and I'm assuming if I ever delete one I won't be able to get it back!

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeftzuck /forum/post/18558047

Does anyone have any idea what happened to or where I can find the Harmony 600? The press release predicts a late March release but it's nearly May and I can't find it on the Logitech website.

I haven't seen hide nor hair of the 600 since the press release, and it's not like I haven't looked. I have no idea why it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth - it seems possible we'll never see one.

#14 ·
Thanks bananfish...I also got a response from a mod on the logitech board:

"The Logitech Harmony 600 will be available at CompUSA stores and Target. They should start to appear there in early May.

Best regards,

DaneHarmony"

So with any luck we'll see it stateside soon.

#15 ·
Some strange things on the programming for this remote with 7.7 software...and I'm not new to Harmonys, owning a One and a 550. What happened to some of the delay adjustments like the Power On and Inter Device delay on my TV, and other random disappearances on other devices. Tried both creating a new profile and replacing my 550 and same results, various delay adjustments no longer available. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, is there a way to reorder the activities...no selection in the software like the other Harmonys.

#16 ·
I am not impressed with the Harmony software. I have basic functionality and even programmed a few extra learned commands that were not available right away but there is absolutely no control over how the "activity" macros work. You can only picked from predetermined canned options. Bummer.

How do I make "all off" not truly turn everything off? I don't want to turn off my HTPC for instance.

How do I edit the activity macros so it doesn't tune my TV to Input 8 since the TV is always on Input 8 and never needs to be re-tuned to this input?

Using the 600. Picked one up last week at local Target store.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckalicious /forum/post/18642850

How do I make "all off" not truly turn everything off? I don't want to turn off my HTPC for instance.

How do I edit the activity macros so it doesn't tune my TV to Input 8 since the TV is always on Input 8 and never needs to be re-tuned to this input?

In the Devices setup, use the Adjust Power Settings, choose "I want to leave this device on all the time"

No need to edit the Macro as the Harmony accounts for the fact that the TV is already on the correct input for a new activity selection and does not resend the Input 8 signal to the TV.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S /forum/post/18645159

In the Devices setup, use the Adjust Power Settings, choose "I want to leave this device on all the time"

No need to edit the Macro as the Harmony accounts for the fact that the TV is already on the correct input for a new activity selection and does not resend the Input 8 signal to the TV.

Thanks for the info, updated my remote. I swear one time it turned off my already turned on TV when switching activities. Now it is working smoothly. So it must send a test signal to determine if a device is already on and set to the right input? It does seem to take a while to switch activities when all it really has to do is switch an input on my receiver.

This is definitely the best programmable remote I've ever used (only used really cheap ones)! Love the customized profiles.

#21 ·
I have decided to go the route of the Next Generation Remote Control Extender, for the whole house audio video system. So I have to go with a regular battery remote, as opposed to a rechargeable remote.

Is the 650 the remote for me?

Are than any other remotes that are better right now than the 650?

Are any of you using the 650 and the Next Generation Remote Control Extender? If so how well do they work together?

Thanks.

#22 ·
Since next gen transmitter IS a rechargeable battery, it would actually be better to use a rechargeable remote like the 700 (it takes regular AA rechargeables rather than a battery pack). That way you'd never have to remove the next gen battery to charge it like you would with the 650.

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPT /forum/post/18676777

Delivered to me on thursday, did a basic set-up but was not able to find any back-lit buttons operation, (not the LCD screen buttons) So, 650 owners is there back-lit facilities that im missing?

The buttons are backlit on the 650, just dimly backlit. A disappointment compared to the 550 which it replaced for me. The length of time the backlight stays on is adjustable in the remote settings, up to 30 seconds.

#26 ·
I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that the 700 uses regular old rechargeable AA's. So the only thing you get for the $50 difference is batteries, a charger so you can charge the batteries in the remote, and one additional device. Not worth it IMO. The only reason I chose the 700 over the 650 was that the 700 was on sale for $60 a while back, making it quite a bit cheaper than the 650 at the time.