Official Logitech Harmony 300 thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 71 Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 429
New low end harmony just released for under $50 MSRP. But you get what you pay for - no LCD and no backlight, only 4 devices, among other things.

Blog

Logitech Page

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 Old 04-03-2010, 01:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No LCD, no backlight and only four devices ... and only one activity.

The "Watch TV" button is the only one that is an activity; it turns on your cable box and TV and switches it to the right input. The four buttons we would normally associate with an "activity" on a Harmony remote ... the TV, DVD, Cable/Sat and VCR/aux buttons ... are "mode" buttons to switch the remote over to control that device.

So instead of pressing DVD to switch the TV input, turn off all other devices, turn on the DVD player and switch the remote to controlling the DVD player, you probably press TV, Input (however many times to get to the right input), DVD, Power and you're ready to go.

More is explained on the quick start guide in this PDF file.

I don't know if you can program macros to the "programmable buttons" or if they are simply one-code buttons like the rest of the buttons. Looks like they are "one code" buttons to me.

I'll probably get one; I can't get my family to use my "scary" 880. Even the 650 causes them to screw up their faces .... I think they are afraid of the LCD screen. Maybe there will be a 350 model with four activity based buttons.

This does have a few things going for it: it uses AA batteries (the entire remote is only $10 more than the last battery I bought for my 880). Without a display screen the batteries should last a year or more. The "mode" or device-based model of button pushing is more familiar, almost identical to our Dish Network remote, so the learning curve is a lot shorter.

I looked for one in Fry's and Best Buy today, but they aren't on the shelf yet near me. I may order one from Amazon.
post #3 of 71 Old 04-03-2010, 02:49 PM

I too went to Best Buy today, but it appears Amazon may be the only one that has this yet (I guess they only have to get product to one distribution center for Amazon to start selling it, but getting it to all the BB stores takes a little longer...).

For the most part I've loved my Harmony Remote for XBox 360. It's great and an the activity-based setup is an easy way for my wife and I to use my TV setup...when it works. However, when it misses a command, and the TV ends up on the wrong input...it is a real pain. When the input is wrong, it's not really easy to get it set up right. Even using the help mode (which on the surface seems like a brilliant idea) can be very frustrating. For example, my wife goes to turn on the TV and watch the DVR. She presses the right button, yet it gets the inputs wrong (it really seems to get messed up with our new Vizio TV switching between the four HDMI modes or the 2 Component modes). To "fix" that situation, when she presses help, she has to go through about 5-6 questions before it gets done with correcting the situation.

Our new TV allows on-screen labeling of the inputs, so I can put "TV/DVR" next to the HDMI 1 input. That plus having to go into help mode more with the new TV setup has leading me to longing for a remote that just had an "input" button. Last weekend I was wishing there was a more traditional Harmony remote, and lo and behold this comes out this week!

I'm really hopeful this will be the answer I'm looking for. I was never a big fan of the LCD-based buttons, and this looks to have 10+ additional buttons than my current remote, and even has a dedicated "List" and "Live" button! It appears this remote may also be a way for Logitech to overhaul their outdated and cumbersome software used on the earlier remotes...this remote uses myharmony.com for the setup. Right now the site only works with the 300, and it has a more modern UI for setting up the remote. My guess is that they are using the 300 to beta test the rewrite of their software.

Unfortunately, I fear this will suffer from essentially being a "version 1" device. even though the Harmony line is pretty long in the tooth, this remote works quite differently, and has a completely new setup website...both scenarios are ripe for bugs. I just read one of the 3 reviews on Amazon (this morning there was only 1) and it said there was an issue where you could not specify which of your devices mapped to each of the four buttons...even when the software incorrectly mapped the TV to the VCR/AUX button! It's early to know if this is a widespread issue or not, but it does worry me slightly.

I was hoping to be able to find one of these locally to try it out, instead of ordering from Amazon and potentially having to return it, but I may have to go that route.

If anyone has tried this remote, I would love to hear what the experience was like.
post #4 of 71 Old 05-14-2010, 10:22 AM

A lot of online resellers have picked up this remote now. Too bad BestBuy still is not selling and wondering if they ever will. Too cheap maybe and they don't make enough markup on it?
I have a BB gift card and would like to spend it on that, but I guess I can't.
post #5 of 71 Old 05-14-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Honestly, that's a blessing. I was excited at first about the prospect of a cheap harmony, but it turns out that the 300 is a real dog. Your average $20 universal is much more functional (i.e. you can do more than one activity and macros aren't limited to power commands only). The huge device database is about the only advantage the 300 has. The one and only activity it can do only powers your tv and cable box on and off. It doesn't even switch inputs unless you hack it (use input commands masquerading as power commands). Save your money and get a better model like the 600 or even a 700 which is only $20 more than the 300 at the moment and vastly superior.
post #6 of 71 Old 05-14-2010, 07:19 PM

I've had mine now for a while. Harmony is the only remote that I can get to switch inputs on my Samsung TV (the discrete codes for each input is in their database). And the buttons are very similar to the Dish Network buttons that my family is used to, so they like it.

I put the discrete input code for each device on the programmable "1" button. So if you want to watch cable TV, press "TV" mode and then the "1" button. Want to watch Dish Network, press "Cable / Sat" and press the "1" button. Same for the DVD player and my WDTV-Live (AUX). Press the mode button, then press "1".

Simple, and it works. I couldn't get other remotes, even learning remotes, to duplicate the command from my original Samsung remote.
post #7 of 71 Old 05-14-2010, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Glad it's working out for you. I just hate the fact that you can't make your "1" button part of your activity on the 300 so you wouldn't have to press so many buttons. The beauty of a decent universal is the ability to press one button and have the activity (macro) do all the work. FWIW, discretes of any kind (including samsung) can easily be added to one-for-all remotes (less than half the price of the 300) using advanced codes (see the Code Lookup in my sig) and can be assigned to any button as well as added to any macro. But I realize samsung can be tricky on many remotes since there are a couple of different samsung protocols with different repeats that can be hard to learn if you press the buttons too long.

To each his own I guess. Spending $40 on a universal and having my hands tied on macros would drive me nuts.
post #8 of 71 Old 05-14-2010, 08:23 PM

I have a Harmony 880, but I'm the only one who will use it. It has "too many buttons", and is too confusing when the macro fails due to a device being in the wrong state at start up, etc. The mode paradigm just works better for my family members because that's the way they have been doing it for 15 years.

Harmony sells convenience, and none of their remotes are "worth it" from a purely financial point of view. There are plenty of alternatives that are much cheaper. But Harmony is much easier to set up and use, and that's what makes them appropriate for mixed use (i.e., wives as well as tech geeks).
post #9 of 71 Old 05-26-2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fshagan View Post

I've had mine now for a while. Harmony is the only remote that I can get to switch inputs on my Samsung TV (the discrete codes for each input is in their database). And the buttons are very similar to the Dish Network buttons that my family is used to, so they like it.

I put the discrete input code for each device on the programmable "1" button. So if you want to watch cable TV, press "TV" mode and then the "1" button. Want to watch Dish Network, press "Cable / Sat" and press the "1" button. Same for the DVD player and my WDTV-Live (AUX). Press the mode button, then press "1".

Simple, and it works. I couldn't get other remotes, even learning remotes, to duplicate the command from my original Samsung remote.

My question is 'How did you do this?' When I want to program the Cable / Sat device, I dont know how to put the correct input code on button '1' because I cannot choose correct input code? I only get al the possible options for my Cable/saat device and not the options for my Samsung TV!
post #10 of 71 Old 05-27-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beuntje View Post

My question is 'How did you do this?' When I want to program the Cable / Sat device, I dont know how to put the correct input code on button '1' because I cannot choose correct input code? I only get al the possible options for my Cable/saat device and not the options for my Samsung TV!

Actually, I taught the remote the codes from my Harmony 880 remote. The database for the "activity based remotes" have the discrete codes for the Samsung inputs (at least for my TV), and I used the learning function to assign the discrete code to button 1.
post #11 of 71 Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

There is also a solution in THIS thread that requires no learning.
post #12 of 71 Old 08-30-2010, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

I picked one up yesterday at BEST BUY and have to say this remote is fine if you only have a tv, cable box and dvd. I have an additional sound bar and I have to constantly change from cable to aux for channel and volume. What a shame, it looked so promising and has turned into a bust for me. I will be returning it for a 650 tomorrow if I cant figure out how to enable the remote to use the sound bar for volume.

Angel
post #13 of 71 Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 AM

I had a similar issue with my HTPC and sound volume on my AV receiver. I wanted to be able to use either TV sound or the AV receiver sound. The five "channel favorites" buttons can be programmed for any function, so I used "4" for volume up and "5" for volume down on the AV receiver. It works OK for that purpose.

I picked up another Harmony 300 for the bedroom TV ... an old Daewoo tube set that none of the universal remotes I tried would control (I tried a cheap three function RCA and then a four function GE). The Daewoo codes are incorrect, and scanning never found the right codes. The Harmony database had the TV, so I was able to get it to work.
post #14 of 71 Old 09-20-2010, 04:50 PM

I just got this thing also under the understanding that it will turn all 3 of my devices on and off with the watch tv, it doesn't turn off my dvd/home theater box. I was also under the impression that if I wanted to control my volume with the dvd/home theater box instead of the tv that I could do that also. I can't figure out how to do this either since when I click on a drop down box it doesn't give me any other of my 2 devices to choose from.

If it can't do this I will be taking it back. Anyone have a suggestion on a remote that can do these basic functions without have to constantly choose the dvd button to control the volume and then having to choose tv to change channels and that will turn all 3 devices off and on at the same time without having to choose again that doesn't cost a lot.

Thanks
post #15 of 71 Old 09-20-2010, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I had high hopes for this remote when I started this thread, but the 300 has turned out to be a real dog. The only thing going for it is the harmony database. It's so badly crippled in every other way, it's much less functional than remotes half the cost. So unless you have very simple needs and very rare devices, stay far away.

To answer your question, I have a closet full of $5-$20 remotes that will do what you ask. Any remote with volume punch thru, channel lock or key moves as well as simple macros will work fine. The RCA RCRP05B is my favorite such remote at the moment since it can have 15 step macros on any key, device specific macros, learning and can be programmed from your computer with an optional cable. It's $15-$20 most places, even less on sale.

Sony, Philips and URC also make good cheap remotes that will work for you. But the unique thing about the RCA is the ability to program discrete on and off codes to use in your macros.

But if you happen to have an Insignia home theater box, you'll have to learn all the commands if you get a non-harmony remote.
post #16 of 71 Old 09-21-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbz1960 View Post

I just got this thing also under the understanding that it will turn all 3 of my devices on and off with the watch tv, it doesn't turn off my dvd/home theater box. I was also under the impression that if I wanted to control my volume with the dvd/home theater box instead of the tv that I could do that also. I can't figure out how to do this either since when I click on a drop down box it doesn't give me any other of my 2 devices to choose from.

If it can't do this I will be taking it back. Anyone have a suggestion on a remote that can do these basic functions without have to constantly choose the dvd button to control the volume and then having to choose tv to change channels and that will turn all 3 devices off and on at the same time without having to choose again that doesn't cost a lot.

Thanks

I just recently got the remote as well and was having the same issues. All you have to do though is go into customize the buttons and make the changes there. To change what gets powered on/off you just have to click on the Watch TV button to select the devices the get powered and the volume is done the same way. Just click on the volume button in the customize section and it will give you options for what device controls the volume.
post #17 of 71 Old 12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So I'm looking for a remote that will work well with Verizon FiOS cable boxes (QIP25500-3) and Samsung C5500 Blu-ray players. Want to ensure that that the Allshare functionality functions well..... obviously TV as well but assuming all remotes will support basic functions on Samsung/Sony TV's.

Don't need any complicated activity routines and would like cheap as I need maybe up to 5 of them.

Will the Harmoney 300 be up to the job?

Any others to consider?

=====================================
My HT Thread index on 1st post
Samsung AllShare and Internet@TV Discussion
post #18 of 71 Old 12-20-2010, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Personally I'd get a bunch of radio shack 15-134's since they are only a dollar and can be programmed to control anything, but that's just me. With a JP1 cable you could load the same config into all of them in about 3 seconds, instead of the 10 minutes harmony takes. And it wouldn't require separate accounts. HERE's the Fios JP1 upgrade which is the same as the GI Cable code 0476 motorola has used for many years. Any new functions can easily be added with a few button presses.

The 300 will control anything in the harmony database, which you can search from the link in my sig to confirm your devices are there. I don't know what Allshare is, but if it's on the original remote, any learning universal remote can do it. I personally think the 300 is a waste of money since many other much more capable remote are available for half the price (or 1/30th the price in the case of the radio shack model I mentioned).
post #19 of 71 Old 12-20-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Great - its worth a try for just a few $'s

Where do I get a JP1 cable - searched Radio Shack and didn't get a hit.

post #20 of 71 Old 12-20-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritInVA View Post

Great - its worth a try for just a few $'s

Where do I get a JP1 cable - searched Radio Shack and didn't get a hit.

JP1 cables are made by individuals and aren't really commercially available. You can get them HERE (recommended) or HERE or build your own from THESE plans. You want the JP1.3 or FLASH type cable for the model I posted. Be aware that the cheapest serial cable won't fit unless you remove the outer clip. You should glue the inner clip to keep it together.

You may be able to do all the programming without a cable if the price is too steep (one remote and cable is essential the same price as a harmony 300). But a cable makes things much, much easier and can be used with hundreds of different remote models.
post #21 of 71 Old 12-20-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I assume you cannot load the updated code without one thou right?

post #22 of 71 Old 12-20-2010, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I assume you cannot load the updated code without one thou right?

Not necessarily. Like I said, the Fios code is built in already (00476), samsung blu-ray is 20199. There are many codes for sony and samsung tv's already built in. If any specific commands are missing, you can add them manually one at a time without a cable. As long as you can get a single function to work on each device, all the other functions can be added without a cable. The codes link in my sig has many codes that can be manually added. There are many more codes at the JP1 site you can read with special software (Remote Master).

I got zero hits on the Fios model you posted. If it's a motorola box, it probably uses the code I posted. Do you have an other info on this box?
post #23 of 71 Old 12-20-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes - its a Motorola box. its basic SD box but noticed I gave wrong model - correct is QIP2500-3.

I'll head out to the shack and pick one up to play with.

Thanks for all your help...... possibly saved me a few hundred $

post #24 of 71 Old 12-20-2010, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

My local RS didn't have them - only 15-302 or 15-303 are they OK for this?

[EDIT] Although I noticed they did not have the Y/B/R/G buttons which I need.

Any alternatives?

post #25 of 71 Old 12-20-2010, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My local RS didn't have them - only 15-302 or 15-303 are they OK for this?

[EDIT] Although I noticed they did not have the Y/B/R/G buttons which I need.

Any alternatives?
Not as cheap as radio shack. The URC-8820N / 10820N (Sears) or RCA RCRP05B (best buy, walgreens, grocery stores, etc.). All are $15 - $20. Only the RCA has colored buttons.

Those other radio shack models won't work, but the 15-133 will, and it also has colored buttons, if you can find it.

Atlas 1056 like THIS one from ebay will also work.

If you post at the hifi-remote.com forums, someone my be willing to sell some cheap. I have a few spares, but can't part with 4.
post #26 of 71 Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Managed to get a RCA RCRP05B from BB ($21).... Do you know what the 4-digit codes are for:

FiOS Motorola QIP2500-3
FiOS Motorola QIP6416-2
Samsung BD-C5500
Samsung HT-C5500

I tried the RCA Remote Code Finder but was not returning any useful results.

I also tried the Codes link in you signiture but was returning a lot of codes - do I just go thru each one till it works?

post #27 of 71 Old 12-21-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The Fios boxes should be cable 0476, the blu-ray should be dvd 0199, and the HT could be audio 1295, 1500 or 1868. Realize that you need to use the CBL button for Fios, the DVD button for blu-ray and the AUD button for the HT. You can reassign device types if you need to (it's in the manual). That should cover most of the functions. Any missing functions can be learned or added via codes (EFCs). Post back with specifics and I'll try to fill in the blanks.
post #28 of 71 Old 12-21-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Great - Thanks.

Will check out tomorrow.

post #29 of 71 Old 12-22-2010, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Was able to configure FiOS and all functions appear to work fine.

For the HT most work but not the color buttons (tried all 3 codes) - do I need to use the Learning capability for this?

post #30 of 71 Old 12-22-2010, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I'll see what I can find. Do the blu-ray colored buttons happen to work with the HT?
Reply Remote Control Area

Tags
Logitech Harmony 300 Remote Control Black , Lcd Hdtv