Please Help... I bought the Harmony 1100 but am... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-11-2010, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I bought the logitech 1100 to try out for a few days, but I am really trying to figure out if i made the right decision. I was debating getting one of the universal remotes from universal remote.com but I have no idea if the software to program them is available to the public. The box had on it, this it must be professionally installed. I being a do it myself kinda of person would much rather get the software myself and learn to program it. Is the software available or should i stick with the logitech.

I would much rather have a universalremote but only if im not going to have to call a audiovideo tech to tweak it for me. that would be most undesireable.

The unorthodoxed one viewing 86 inches in a 12x10 bedroom...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
It is up to the dealer if they will provide the software, so be cautious where you buy. They are more powerful and flexible remotes but not as easy to program as the Harmony. It is not wizard based and won't walk you through it like Harmony.

Bob
post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 09:27 PM

Liked: 11
i totally agree with Bob. these days for personal setups people typically use either Harmony or one of the iphone/itouch apps.

Robert Conlin
post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies but the harmony just didnt work out

post #5 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 06:57 AM

Might I ask what you didn't like about the Harmony 1100? I have both the 1100 and 900 and love them!
post #6 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyusa View Post

Might I ask what you didn't like about the Harmony 1100? I have both the 1100 and 900 and love them!

Certainly. For starters, I didnt like the software. I know its good to have user friendly (easy to use) software and such, but that software suite was just wayyy to simple. IMHO it was limiting because of its lack of complexity. The remote itself was not completely customizable, and I strongly desired something I could customize completely with my own graphics. I did see buttons I could choose from but those buttons had no appeal to me. I didnt see a complete set of options for customized graphics and I felt that there wasnt much to the software as a whole. It was very easy to use and learn in a matter of minutes... and for the layman, I think thats an excellent quality. However, I'm not so simple of a person and prefer things to be much more technical. I desire a challenge, and its like another person told me... quote, "URC remotes are like Legos: you start with a box of blocks and assemble the castle any way you want. Logitech remotes are like a pop-up book: you open the book and magically there's a 3D castle." Now I know this person was maybe exaggerating a little but as I used the Logitech software, I could understand what he was saying. Nothing against harmony, but it just seemed as if a 12 year old could program the remote. I would buy it for a family memeber, but for myself, I would desire something more sophisticated... and i found exactly that in the URC MX-6000 which I ordered yesterday. Right now I have quite a bit more confidence in the CCP software that its exactly what I'm looking for.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 AM

That URC MX-6000 looks like an amazing remote. What did you find out as for programming the URC remotes? Are you going to be able to or is the dealer going to make you have them do it? I have been curious on these aspects as well and while I do agree that the Harmony software and remotes are very easy and do lack a higher degree of customization, the URC remotes seem to be a lot more expensive. I could be wrong on the price, so anything you have learned will be a great help!

Thanks.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckellyusa View Post

That URC MX-6000 looks like an amazing remote. What did you find out as for programming the URC remotes? Are you going to be able to or is the dealer going to make you have them do it? I have been curious on these aspects as well and while I do agree that the Harmony software and remotes are very easy and do lack a higher degree of customization, the URC remotes seem to be a lot more expensive. I could be wrong on the price, so anything you have learned will be a great help!

Thanks.

I found out that most of what I needed to know will be in the CCP software help files. URC's policy is such that the authorised dealer has the descression to leave the customer with the software. So if you find the right dealer, you can easily get the software after a minimum install. You can watch them install a couple devices, then you can just do the rest yourself after they have left, or you can get them to show you how to install a device. And, I wouldnt recommend getting the 6000 from bestbuy. I would recommend getting it from a small business or a business owner in business for himself type authorized dealer. Best Buy wanted me to be completely dependent on them for software support. I actually had to go to 3 different locations before I got exactly what i needed.

I went to maps.google.com and typed in "Home Theater", and most of the people that came up were authorised dealers. If you go through a small business or sole proprietor, they are much more willing to leave the consumer with the software, and would more than likely show you how to use it if you pay them their hourly wage. The MX-6000 is a complicated remote. I wont be calling best buy for software support. There is a local authorised dealer near me who will be my go to person. THis guy took 3 training classes on how to program the mx-6000 and I'll call him when i need help. He will charge me ofcorse labor to program the remote, but he will also teach me how to use/program my remote, so in essence, im paying for the knowledge too.

Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page