Fios TV Mobile Remote - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 05-29-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. Of all the places on the interweb I decided to post here. hopefully google will serve the purpose of helping other people find this post.

Verizon has put out a mobile application for Android and other devices to allow you to remote control your HD Fios TV boxes. Most all of the operations of the remote are accounted for, and it even includes a keyboard for interacting with the Fios TV widgets. The most innovative feature in my opinion is the favorites, which gives you a large graphical icon menu to select from your favorite channels. I really like that because I find the idea of numbers for channels to be an outdated concept. Another feature is to be able to send pictures from the mobile device to the tv very easily and have theym simply come right up on the screen. An important technical note is that this isn't happening with IR, this is being sent over your home wireless network. So in theory any computer could then be used to control any set top boxes.

At any rate, Verizon is being pretty innovative here, and pretty open as well, they have a site http://code.verizon.com, where it soon developers will be able to get an SDK to develop software for the set top boxes.

However nothing is available quite yet, and I was very curious, and as a software developer and linux madman, I busted out the arp poisoners, packet sniffers and hex editors.

I was was able to reverse much of the protocol, but ultimately a critical part eludes me and is beyond my capabilities, I reached an impasse. I really only messed with it for two days, but I was able to send a signal to the box, that got it to connect, and maintain a connection to my computer, and also I can send it some of the commands that should say, change the channel, but it doesn't want to obey. :/

Its a very odd protocol, to me atleast, its not a text based protocol.

As I said I had already signed up for the SDK before, but it isn't out there for developers yet. I sent a message to a verizion person that I believe is the public face of the fios mobile remote software, to perhaps provide some more information on the protocol. Even though I say 'reverse' the protocol, really I think verizon wants to be able to ultamatly enable this kind of thing VIA there SDK once they do release it.

If anyone has any comments on the matter go ahead and post :] I hope I have put this on the right place in the interweb.

Cheers,

David

Future Fios TV Developer
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page