Remote Suggestion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Scientific Atlanta Time Warner DVR, Panasonic Plasma, Onkyo 508, Xbox, and a Panasonic Blue Ray. I am looking for a remote with one touch "watch TV" (turns on and sets receiver and TV to appopriate inputs), "watch movie", and "play game". I want all of the buttons from the cable remote: A,B, C, D, instant replay, etc. Would like to spend <$100, preferably <$50. Can I do this with Logitech 300? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-31-2010, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 314
A 300 will only do one activity, so it won't work for you. Your cable remote may be able to do all those activities (macros), depending on the model. Otherwise just about any one-for-all (like the RCA RCRP05B which is $15 at walgreens) can do it. If you want a harmony, you'll need at least a model 600 ($80), 650 ($100), or 700 ($150). The 700 was only $60 at Fry's a couple of weeks ago (I got one myself and am very happy with it). I don't know if there are any good deals on it now or not. Also, any older harmony can do what you want. I know the 550 is pretty cheap and has the colored buttons you're looking for.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. My cable remote is a Synergy V and it doesn't have macros. I will look for a deal on a Harmony.
post #4 of 15 Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthsdan View Post

I will look for a deal on a Harmony.

Harmony 620

Vin
post #5 of 15 Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

... or the 610 which is cheaper ($48 shipped) and has colored buttons. It's a 5-device remote, whereas the 620 is 12. Otherwise functionally identical.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Vin
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

... or the 610 which is cheaper ($48 shipped) and has colored buttons.

Yeah, I was looking at that one myself this morning....very tempting at that price as a back up for my 670. I'll probably resist though and eventually get a 600 or 650...I prefer the new design and button layout.

Vin
post #7 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks - checked out the 610 but it doesn't have ABCD keys which I need for Time Warner DVR. I know I can map keys but the remote needs to have all the keys labeled correctly for the family. If I am spending $50+ I want all of the keys. Thanks
post #8 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

If the colored buttons or labeled soft buttons aren't good enough, then no harmony will work for you since none exist with hard buttons actually labeled ABCD. The whole point of harmony is to use the LCD for custom labeled keys, in which case any model will work. I guess I don't understand why the colored buttons without the labels aren't sufficient. I've never seen any expensive universals with labeled colored buttons since they're designed to be generic. Different devices aren't consistent about mapping a certain letter to a certain color.

However, your cheap remote options are plentiful. The $15 RCA I mentioned does have ABCD keys, has a huge device database and can be programmed from a PC with an optional cable. There are several altas models as well. The atlas S4000 is very similar to your existing remote, but can do macros on any key like you want.

Let us know what you find.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Colored buttons without labels IS sufficient. What I meant was I didn't want the play button to be the A button (for example). I will check out the other you suggested. Thanks
post #10 of 15 Old 06-02-2010, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe there is a misunderstanding here. Realize that any button on a harmony can have any function you want. If you want to stay in the $50 range, the 610 has the 4 color buttons, so all you have to do is assign ABCD to them. It doesn't matter what their default functions are or what symbols are printed on them. Even though it looks like the default functions of yellow/green are page up / page down, you can make them do whatever function you want. If you spend more, you can get colored buttons with no symbols on them.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-03-2010, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. Trying to decide between the RCA and Harmony 610. Can the RCA be programmed for macros other than the two "macro" keys? Sounds like the Harmony will work.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-03-2010, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

The RCA can have 15-step macros on any key except the device selection keys and the setup key. If you get a cable and program from your PC, you get 3 additional devices and the ability to put macros on the device keys. You can also put macros (or any other function) on shifted keys, essentially doubling the commands available on the key pad. On my RCA, I put all my "activities" on shifted device keys, i.e., "Watch TV" is shift-TV, "Watch DVD" is shift-DVD, etc. I put my master power off macro on shift-Power.

In the $50 range though, the harmony is easier to use and program since you have unlimited softkeys via the LCD and setup wizards to help you along. The RCA plus a cable would total $45, and there is a steeper learning curve for programming. It's much more configurable, but you have to do a lot more programming from scratch.

I have both, and each has it's strengths and weaknesses. The biggest advantage of the RCA is if you break it, you're only out $15. Harmony is my main remote, but I use RCA's in other rooms (I have a stack of them I picked up on ebay for $7 each a while back). Even if you get a harmony, an RCA is still nice to have for adding discrete codes which may be missing from the harmony database (I've added dozens of codes that way).
post #13 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again. Where is the "shift" on the RCA?
post #14 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

It's the setup button near the top. We use the generic shift term because the setup button has many different names on other remotes (setup, magic, p, m, set, s, etc.), but they can all function as a shift key for a secondary function, among other things.
post #15 of 15 Old 06-04-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Darn. Didn't act on the 610 deal and it is gone now. Thanks for the help. I have decided to keep looking for a deal on a Harmony.
Reply Remote Control Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page